Elsewhere

road.jpg Video: There are 14 defining characteristics of fascism.

road.jpg In new book Jesse Helms says Bono changed his mind about AIDS: ""Until then it had been my feeling that AIDS was a disease largely spread by reckless and voluntary sexual and drug-abusing behavior, and that it would probably be confined to those in high risk populations. I was wrong."

road.jpg Madonna planning West End musical with Andrew Lloyd-Webber? A Kabbalah Hotel?

Comments

1. How noble of Jesse Helms may he rot in hell or worse

Posted by: Donald | Jun 9, 2005 12:43:19 PM

2. Wow! Imagine that, someone on the left that engages a conservative and changes his mind, instead of calling him a Nazi.

Posted by: Mitch | Jun 9, 2005 12:46:47 PM

3. ...or wishing he rot in hell. Who's the hater again?

Posted by: Mitch | Jun 9, 2005 12:47:39 PM

4. How is this any better? He's saying: "Oh, when I thought AIDS was just going to kill fags, well, who cared? But now we know it will kill anyone--and we have to do something!"

Posted by: Matt | Jun 9, 2005 12:51:53 PM

5. Too little, too late, Senator Helms. The damage you intentionally inflicted on gay men will take generations to rectify. I'm not necessarily proud of this, but I agree with Donald -- may you rot in hell.

Posted by: kimmer | Jun 9, 2005 12:51:56 PM

6. It's too bad that someone who changed Helm's mind had to be a world famous cultural icon isn't it? The suffering of people here in America, some of them his constituents, wasn't enough to alter Helm's simplistic moralizing point of view.

Posted by: Tom | Jun 9, 2005 12:52:37 PM

7. Mitch...Mitch Helms??

Posted by: Wayne | Jun 9, 2005 1:00:17 PM

8. You all don't really believe in hell, do you?

Posted by: Timothy Eckert | Jun 9, 2005 1:14:27 PM

9. I was not terribly proud of myself when I wrote that but you know what, try as I may it is not always easy to let go of anger and to forgive & forget. He did much evil through out his career and is now trying to clear his soul because he does beleive in hell and is terrified of going there.

Timothy I do not believe that there is a hell

Posted by: Donald | Jun 9, 2005 1:47:22 PM

10. I don't believe hell exists, either, Timothy. Except metaphorically.

Posted by: kimmer | Jun 9, 2005 1:53:57 PM

11. Some people are living in hell on earth...but not eternally.

Posted by: kelly | Jun 9, 2005 1:57:37 PM

12. While it's sort of silly, but it is good of Jesse to admit he was wrong. Not to mention the media does tend to portray AIDS in that light so I'm not really shocked when people think that, as uninlightened as it may be.

Posted by: Flesh von Wintoor | Jun 9, 2005 2:23:25 PM

13. Yes...well...Robert McNamara was terribly sorry about all the Viet Nam misrepresentations, too. Nothing Helms can say today will bring back the dead. I wish he wouldn't publish, actually. I don't care to know anything about him.

Posted by: Baz | Jun 9, 2005 3:22:29 PM

14. McNamara apologized for some of his behavior in the Viet Nam years, too. Helms's memoires won't bring back the dead, some of whom may rightly be laid at his feet. I wish he wouldn't publish, actually. One hates to be reminded of the man.

Posted by: baz | Jun 9, 2005 3:31:24 PM

15. Please spare me the PC shit. Helm's is a KKK wannabe from waaaay back. A homophobe, sexist, mountain hillbilly. I piss on anything that fart says. Believe in what you believe-and say it-he did. He's a delusional idiot. Fuck him. Just in case my view of Hell is wrong-then I hope he does get the eternal sunburn that he so deserves.

Posted by: Andrew | Jun 9, 2005 4:46:11 PM

16. Video is weak - kind of michael moore-ish bludgeoning of graphic images mixed with content both weak and strong. I hate feeling like something I agree with (basically) is propaganda. Can't political dialogue be less breathless, more serious?

Posted by: liberal server | Jun 9, 2005 4:46:16 PM

17. My understanding is that Hell is exactly like San Francisco...and I can't wait to get there!

Posted by: Wayne | Jun 9, 2005 4:51:10 PM

18. i agree this is too little too late. WAY too little. WAY too late. i was in my early 20's in NYC in the 80's and i had the severe displeasure of listening to helms's rhetoric spewing forth as my partner faded away on his deathbed. i wish helms worse than hell. i will do the same thing i did when reagan died: i will dance in the street!

Posted by: big.peaches | Jun 9, 2005 4:54:41 PM

19. i agree this is too little too late. WAY too little. WAY too late. i was in my early 20's in NYC in the 80's and i had the severe displeasure of listening to helms's rhetoric spewing forth as my partner faded away on his deathbed. i wish helms worse than hell. i will do the same thing i did when reagan died: i will dance in the street!

Posted by: big.peaches | Jun 9, 2005 4:55:01 PM

20. The '14 defining characteristics of fascism' could apply to almost any regime of any political view and as such reduces fascism from a dangerous political theory to an naff attempt to insult a president they don't like.

As fascism is usually anti religion it's odd to call Bush a fascist.

Posted by: Bill | Jun 9, 2005 6:53:11 PM

21. Henry Wallace, wrote in 1944 during his term as vice president of the United States, "American fascism will not be really dangerous until there is a purposeful coalition among the cartelists, the deliberate poisoners of public information, and those who stand for the K.K.K. type of demagoguery." [Wallace, 1944]

Posted by: Andrew | Jun 9, 2005 7:15:58 PM

22. Get it?

Posted by: Andrew | Jun 9, 2005 7:18:58 PM

23. you guys have no comment on facts? SAD bloggers. Did the truth kill you? Argue with me with facts losers....

Posted by: Andrew | Jun 9, 2005 7:28:42 PM

24. Who knew that the Dixie Chicks were intellectuals?

Posted by: Mitch | Jun 9, 2005 7:45:16 PM

25. I'm much more smart than you-so spare your crap for the new guys.

Posted by: Andrew | Jun 9, 2005 7:46:57 PM