Film and TV

BigGayDeal.com

What Has Happened to Nate?

Peterkrauseshirtless

Judging by the last few moments of last night's Six Feet Under, Peter Krause has been making it to the gym. But was anyone else stunned by the bomb dropped in the closing scene?

Warning - spoilers - if you haven't seen this episode don't look after the jump or in the comments...

Nate

Dead or no? Dream or reality? What in the world has happened?

Comments

1. EW weighs in today:

Posted by: Scott B. | Jul 25, 2005 2:33:19 PM

2. I don't watch the show, so I really have no clue what is going on..LOL

Posted by: Roy | Jul 25, 2005 2:50:07 PM

3. For me it was not a question of 'if' but 'when' as far as Nate's mortality was concerned in this final season of SFU. From the moment he sees the bird on the wedding cake to the moment he kills the bird in "Time Flies," the series has been heading in the direction of Nate's demise. One could argue, actually, that the entire series has led up to Nate Jr. following in the footsteps of Nate Sr. I hope that he's dead upon arrival into the next episode. I expect more from the writers of SFU than musings on the Terry Shiavo case. It's going to be a long week ..

Posted by: ROB | Jul 25, 2005 2:56:41 PM

4. FYI, your RSS feed doesn't do the "jump" thing, it just puts everything right there. And some of us have TiVo and haven't watched it yet. Spoiler warnings right up top in big letters, please!

Posted by: John | Jul 25, 2005 3:17:00 PM

5. You're right, Nate, er, Peter, has definately been hitting the gym, with yummy results! WOOF!

As for his "death"...I doubt it. I think he had a stroke, and now they'll all have to deal with a bed-ridden, stroked-out Nate. Ruth just dealt with her crazy husband, and now Brenda will have to deal with hers. If she's smart, she'll leave him quickly...but nothing on this show ever happens fast enough. It's still my favorite show, and I'm glad they're dropping some BIG bombs on the road to the final episode.

Posted by: Wayne | Jul 25, 2005 3:58:31 PM

6. My partner and I don't really get Nate and Brenda and their angst-ridden hell on earth; so perhaps a little Deus ex machina would work here before Nate kicks the bucket, if that's what Alan Ball has up his quill. Personally I am not sure that Brenda would have been at the Friends meeting, just because her boss finally gave her the "you are so neurotic and self-centered and I"m fucking sick of listening to it" spiel. Hooray for Claire hooking up with office hottie Ted--I think she's the Everyman hero of the show.

Posted by: Keith | Jul 25, 2005 4:23:07 PM

7. I think it's divine retribution. Just about every character on SFU has been driving me batshit this year: Claire with her inexplicable love of psychos, Ruth with the mean-spirited heave-ho she gave George after a long spell of passive aggressiveness, Rico's simpering mawkishness, Brenda with her need to tell everyone her problems and thwart all attempts to steer conversations away from herself, etc.

In the last couple of episodes, it seemed everyone was heading toward some kind of paece, or at least a detente. Nate was just continuing in his downward, self-destructive spiral, and after defiling the pure and good Maggie, he could not go on.

Posted by: Matt | Jul 25, 2005 4:29:32 PM

8. It sounds like more of exactly the reason my partner and I stopped watching Six Feet Under last season, after the sadistic episode where David was brutalized by a man he picked up whose car had broken down. We turned off that episode ten minutes before the end and have happily never looked back. It felt like being punched in the face by a trusted friend.

Alan Ball has stated that this final season will go out with a bang, which probably means more death and weirdness (and not in a good way).

Posted by: Bill | Jul 25, 2005 4:38:59 PM

9. I knew I could count on you for some bit of Six Feet speculation for today. Here's what I'm clinging to: I've been certain throughout the entire season that one of the Fishers is certain to die before the end of the season. However, I don't really think it's going to be Nate (which puts me in the minority, I think). I think of this as an unexpected complication from his miraculously cured AVM, so maybe a stroke or seizure instead of a heart attack (even though they clearly want us to think this is a heart attack). It's more interesting, I think, to have Brenda grapple with feeling betrayed by Nate and feeling terrified of his dying...than to just kill him and prevent him from being accountable for his actions (sleeping with Maggie, easily the most boring character on the show should be a crime). My prediction is still that Ruth will bite the dust at the end and the Fisher 'kids' will have to live their lives without either parent.

Posted by: Scott | Jul 25, 2005 4:43:50 PM

10. Peter has always looked great, imho. And with that voice - who cares what he looks like?! As far as what happened on the show - I think his passing out is just that - a way for Brenda to find out he was sleeping around on her. He'll be fine, I'm sure. After all, it's only a show about death, right?

Posted by: Alan W | Jul 25, 2005 4:58:01 PM

11. pec implants? They are suspiciously square...

Posted by: ryan | Jul 25, 2005 5:28:22 PM

12. Total smokescreen IMHO.....I agree that it's Claire who bites it by season's end. They've conveniently started showing her driving the hearse, Billy is out of the picture for now but notice how they subtly threw in last night that Claire "crushed" him. He's coming back and he's going to kill her, and just like the poster for this season shows, Claire drives that hearse into the great beyond. Hope she gets nakes with the office hottie before that happens tho.

Posted by: Glenn | Jul 25, 2005 5:52:52 PM

13. I had actually just started to think "Who of the main cast shall die this season?" when I turned on On-Demand and saw... well... that. (Do italics tags work in comments?)

I also think that Nate will meet his eventual end, following the path of his father he never wanted for himself. But I also do think that they will set Brenda up to be torn about how she feels towads Nate at the point.

Or not. How many episodes do they have left? 3? And that idea of Billy coming back to kill Claire, who "crushed" him doesn't seem too far fetched. But SFU likes to throw curveballs so it could always be David or Keith, right as they get a family, or Rico and Vanessa, right as he comes into his own and gets his family back.

Let's watch!

Posted by: jasiri | Jul 25, 2005 7:09:06 PM

14. I was shocked by the ending of last night's episode, but I don't think Nate is dead. I've read that in the final episode they're going to show how all the main characters eventually die, which could be kind of sad and morbid, but interesting, too....

Posted by: David | Jul 25, 2005 7:24:27 PM

15. SPOILER - Do not read if you do not want to find out what happens to Nate

Nate died in last night's episode - from friends who work on the show

Posted by: Patrick M | Jul 25, 2005 8:24:59 PM

16. Well, maybe Nate died. But the dead have a habit of showing up as ghosts on that show. So I'm sure we haven't seen the last of hunky Nate. (It's great for the actors, continuity of pay checks!)

Posted by: jessejames | Jul 25, 2005 9:15:50 PM

17. Peter Krause is *exactly* my type. If I was to a Dr. Frankenstein, I wouldn't bother to have Igor go in search of a brain, I'd just say "Go kidnap Peter Krause".

Erm, you mean like the main characters do at the end of Love, Valour, Compassion? :-)

Sort of reminds me of these great Morrissey lyrics:

And if a double decker bus
    Crashes in to us
    To die by your side
    Such a heavenly way to die
    And if a ten-ton truck
    Kills the both of us
    To die by your side
    Well, the pleasure
    And privilege is mine

Posted by: Jim | Jul 26, 2005 1:42:27 AM

18. Whatever or not Nate dies, I'm just happy to see the series itself spring back to life this year. The last couple of seasons were extremelly uneven. But seeing the spark in Claire's eyes (she communicates so much just by expression) and watching David and Keith with the kids is just a pleasure. I'll hate to see this series go.

Posted by: Kenny | Jul 26, 2005 1:57:59 AM

19. In the promotional trailer that everyone keeps referring to, Claire drives off into the sunset in a converatible--not the hearse. She also lets go of a piece of paper and the wind carries it away. Actually, Ruth sees the green hearse, wrecked and abanodoned in the desert. At the end of the trailer, Rico and Vanessa are together. So are David and Keith, and Ruth and George. Only Brenda is alone--looking out over the desert expanse with an expression of understanding and resolve. The last we see Nate in the trailer, he's looking at a younger version of himself hitchiking.

Posted by: ROB | Jul 26, 2005 10:21:24 AM

20. maybe nate will "recover" but with a brain injury. with all the hoopla about their unborn baby possibly being (special) and nate not up to the challenge of raising her, just maybe he'll be put in the position of needing care himself...

Posted by: brian | Jul 26, 2005 10:52:33 AM

21. I think Nate's going to have a near death experience, white light, life review, etc., but with typical SFU creative style.

Posted by: rob adams | Jul 26, 2005 11:07:19 AM

22. I wish that I had an office hottie like Ted in my office. I would so dry-hump him in the supply closet, but alas-my office solely resembles the rest of the horror that Claire must tolerate.

Posted by: Gary | Jul 26, 2005 1:46:03 PM

23. I've watched every single episode of this HBO series. I love it so much! It's such a shock to see Nate in the latest episode. I'm glad that Keith & David are working it out with their kids. I like Claire and her new boyfriend. I like that the Russelle character made an appearance too. Ruth is happy once more.

Posted by: Don Balan | Jul 26, 2005 2:45:15 PM

24. As much as I enjoy watching Peter, the actor, Nate, the character, has become boring to me over the years. He's never gonna be happy until he's dead.

Perfect ending for his character and the show itself.

Posted by: JOHN | Jul 27, 2005 6:09:35 PM

25. he can't die - he's way too hot now!

Posted by: JAYDUB | Jan 16, 2008 3:25:22 PM