Art and Design | New York | Photography

BigGayDeal.com

R.I.P. : Eighteenth and Eighth

Eighteenthandeighth

When I lived in NYC back in the 90's I remember the small café at the corner of Eighteenth Street and Eighth Avenue (named, aptly, Eighteenth and Eighth) as Chelsea's "ground zero" (before that term went tragically out of style). It was one of my favorite spots for meeting friends, first dates, and just having a quiet cup of coffee.

Time marches on, however, and here's how that Chelsea corner looks now. They're in the process of clearing the way for a new pillar of six-story condos.

It's always interesting (and a bit jarring) to see a chunk of Manhattan simply vanish from one day to the next.

Comments

1. I loved that place, too. Walked over there to go to brunch one Saturday and it was closed - none of the nearby places 8th ave. could match it.

Posted by: mp | Aug 8, 2005 12:38:37 PM

2. Six-story condos. What's that, a sixplex?

Posted by: simon | Aug 8, 2005 12:50:22 PM

3. It's sometimes unfortunate that time marches on.

Lucky are those who remember their memories.

Posted by: Rob | Aug 8, 2005 12:56:43 PM

4. Yes, I hate it when re-development takes away such landmarks....it's a shame...

Posted by: Roy | Aug 8, 2005 12:57:11 PM

5. I remember 18th and 8th. What a fun little coffee shop with the crusiest waiters. :)

Posted by: cafegogo | Aug 8, 2005 1:37:39 PM

6. I lived a few doors down from 18th&8th in my bachelor days. It seems as though Chelsea and the city are changing before my very eyes. Feeling old these days but all things must change. However they better keep their F**KING hand off Food Bar.

Posted by: digger | Aug 8, 2005 1:50:36 PM

7. Ahhhh! I will miss that place, it WAS a great place to meet or just hang out.

Posted by: LostMonkey | Aug 8, 2005 3:50:11 PM

8. Isn't that the corner that they're trying to build a McDonald's on? I've seen fliers posted on Eighth Avenue for an organized protest to their coming into the neighborhood. That would be the harshest replacement for Eighteenth & Eighth.

Posted by: Norman | Aug 8, 2005 5:50:12 PM

9. Valley National BANK? Barf. 18th & 8th was great. Re Chelsea: as usual, gay pepople move into a neglected neighborhood, make it fabulous, and are then shoved aside by rich white straight people. Eew.

Posted by: Joe | Aug 8, 2005 9:41:28 PM

10. I loved 18th&8th for several reasons: 1. I worked there as one of the "cruisiest" waiters for two stints, 2. It was my first job in NYC, 3. I fell in love with a co-worker both times, and 4. some VERY amazing people both worked and ate there!
    Anyone from 2001 or early 2004, drop me a line

Posted by: mark | Aug 8, 2005 11:41:53 PM

11. YIKES! It breaks my heart to see that place go. I lived above 18th and 8th for many years. What a great apartment. I'll always remember the Toy Parties at Christmas. Does anyone know how to reach Ed?

Posted by: Jeff | Aug 11, 2005 12:39:32 PM