New York

BigGayDeal.com

Manhattan Maple Syrup Mystery

I walked around my apartment for hours last night wondering where the maple syrup smell was coming from. I thought I had spilled something. At least I know I'm not crazy.

The Sweet Smell of New York City [curbed]
Maple Sugar Smell Mystery [gothamist]
Good Smell Perplexes New York [ny times]
Sweet Smell Wafts Through Lower Manhattan [newsday]
Strong Whiff of Worry Downtown [nydn]
When Things Don't Smell Like Ass, It's News [gawker]
Strong, Sweet Smell Reported in Manhattan [ap]

It made me want to order pancakes.

Comments

1. Ha, I did the same thing, even asking my roommate if he'd had anything with syrup because I could smell it all over the apartment. I live up in Morningside Heights and by 11, I could smell it up there.

Posted by: Ed | Oct 28, 2005 9:57:13 AM

2. Holy crap! And I thought I was just drunk. I live on the UWS and smelt it all night. It made me try out maple syrup as lube...not advised.

Posted by: HOMO | Oct 28, 2005 10:10:13 AM

3. EGGO- Terrorism!

Posted by: Jeff | Oct 28, 2005 10:10:20 AM

4. Damn... I can still smell it this morning. Thanks for this one!

Posted by: Made In Brazil | Oct 28, 2005 10:27:46 AM

5. Huh, New York always gets the coolest things. All we get here in Houston is Tom DeLay, mosquitos and Spring-like weather on Christmas Eve.

Posted by: christian | Oct 28, 2005 10:47:48 AM

6. It made the news is in Kansas City... http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/13021568.htm

Noe you know it was a big deal.

Posted by: Ed | Oct 28, 2005 11:04:12 AM

7. Contrary to the articles, it wasn't confined to downtown N.Y. I smelled it last night on the Upper West Side too. I dismissed it after a minute, thinking I must have stuffed sinuses or else was going schizo (schizophrenics are said to experience strange smells sometimes).

Posted by: tjonasgreen | Oct 28, 2005 11:52:01 AM

8. I smelt it too and I am in London! Nah... just kidding. I used to get the smell of burn toast in Sydney but it turned out to be the smell of the brewery.

I am sure its a smell-a-like too. JB

Posted by: JB | Oct 28, 2005 12:37:07 PM

9. I could smell it last night at my apartment in Hells Kitchen. It smelled remarkably good, reminding me of fall cooking, mmm....

Still, I'd love to know where it came from.

Posted by: mdpnewyork | Oct 28, 2005 12:38:41 PM

10. From all the reaction it's gotten, if this wasn't some kind of marketing gimmick, it sure oughta be.

Posted by: Glenn | Oct 28, 2005 12:53:38 PM

11. Jeff..thanks....THAT was funny!

Posted by: PSMike | Oct 28, 2005 12:56:16 PM

12. I swear I thought the old sweatshirt I was wearing had a syrup whiff to it. I grinned from ear to ear when Kelly Ripa this morning announced that she, too, had smelled the mysterious quasi pancake odor. It made me feel like, hey, we're in this together. Just 9/11. Only with Aunt Jemima.

Posted by: JEFF | Oct 28, 2005 1:35:05 PM

13. I swear I thought the old sweatshirt I was wearing had a syrup whiff to it. I grinned from ear to ear when Kelly Ripa this morning announced that she, too, had smelled the mysterious quasi pancake odor. It made me feel like, hey, we're in this together. Just like 9/11. Only with Aunt Jemima.

Posted by: bron | Oct 28, 2005 1:35:37 PM

14. I think Aunt Jemima and Mrs. Butterworth should be considered terror threats

Posted by: MyManMisterC | Oct 28, 2005 2:06:47 PM

15. I looked up chemicals that have a sweet smell. One was Vinyl Chloride.

Posted by: Tina | Oct 28, 2005 2:36:08 PM

16. But this wasn't just any sweet smell, this was the distinct smell of maple syrup. I think hordes of people in NYC were driving themselves crazy trying to find a syrup spill in their pantries last night.

Posted by: Ed | Oct 28, 2005 2:50:13 PM

17. Someone told me that when crack is manufactured it gives off a maple syrup smell.

Posted by: MyManMisterC | Oct 28, 2005 3:32:12 PM

18. I smelled it, too. I may be making it up, but I swear I smell it again right now. Maybe it's just the power of suggestion.

Posted by: Cyd | Oct 29, 2005 9:54:46 AM

19. How odd! Here in Boston in the section called the North End, you can smell molasses on a hot summer day. At the turn of the century a Molasses factory blew up flooding the streets of the North End with Molasses which are still lodged in nooks and crannies of the streets, apparently.

What is happening in NY is rather fascinating....and a bit frightening.

Posted by: Patrick | Oct 29, 2005 11:46:32 AM

20. The smell was also noticeable in the east 90s. I thought it was coming from a nearby apartment, and was probably some pothead with a nightime craving for pancakes with maple syrup (I can relate). I had no idea everyone in the city was smelling the same thing!

Odd that they still don't know where the smell came from. The last time the entire city smelled of the same thing was on 9-11, so, this doesn't make me giggle. Although I did make pancakes with maple syrup just today, and they were delicious!

I wonder if sales of pancake mix and maple syrup increased this weekend?

Posted by: monty | Oct 31, 2005 4:30:11 AM

21. Homeland Security was experimenting with all of you... testing to see how long it would take everyone to get 'gassed' by a sweet smell and what the reaction would be so when terrorists do it everyone will remember back to how harmless the maple smell was... no panic, just enjoy the nice smell... hmmm...

Posted by: HisHolynessDPope | Nov 27, 2005 12:02:31 AM

22. Homeland Security's #1 mission is to reduce the planet's population... beginning with all who oppose the New World Order!

Posted by: HisHolynessDPope | Nov 27, 2005 1:49:19 AM

23. With the arrival of spring and the concurrent decrease in air pressure, Field Office Research will begin our maple syrup odor experiments once again in sections of New York City. We intend to go public with a series of press releases this year, as unfortunately, our intentions have been questioned to the point of absurdity.

www.fieldofficeresearch.com

Posted by: Field Office Research Staff | Mar 16, 2006 9:19:17 PM

24. The mystery has been solved:

Posted by: Leo | Feb 5, 2009 12:42:51 PM

25. why are all of your post from 3 years ago?

Posted by: johnny | Feb 5, 2009 5:36:43 PM