Elsewhere

road.jpg Memorial to homosexuals slain in the Holocaust gets go-ahead in Berlin.
The concrete sculpture is to be situated on Berlin's expansive Tiergarten Park near the Brandenburg Gate and will contain "an oblique window featuring a black and white video of 'an endless kiss between two men.'"

Comments

1. Will that piss the dykes off? Like they need a reason.

Posted by: Donald | Jan 26, 2006 5:16:26 PM

2. You know, this is one of the reasons why Berlin is one of the greatest cities in the world. Plus, German guys are so hot! :-)

Posted by: Jason | Jan 26, 2006 5:28:42 PM

3. Maybe the video can be of Jake and Heath kissing...

Posted by: Joe | Jan 26, 2006 5:32:06 PM

4. That is funny Donald. The caption could read ‘A picture is worth a thousand lives but a video is worth more. Our bad for killing the butt bangers….’

But seriously what about the rest of the groups that were 'marginalized' by the Nazi regime?

Posted by: Matthew Schooler | Jan 26, 2006 5:41:43 PM

5. I think many have been taken care of. Though I am not sure about the gypsie or the tramps and thieves for that matter.

Posted by: Donald | Jan 26, 2006 5:48:12 PM

6. Did anyone else notice how that article charted the history of anti-gay legislation in the Germanys? A very interesting (and surprising) historical side note.

Posted by: MT | Jan 26, 2006 6:17:38 PM

7. I think the concept of the project sounds beautiful...

Can you imagine something like that being built on American soil?!

Posted by: Greg | Jan 26, 2006 7:00:32 PM

8. It's about time a memorial was built. I'm tired of the nihilists claiming there was no holocaust against homosexuals in Nazi Germany.

Posted by: Robert In WeHo | Jan 26, 2006 7:55:52 PM

9. >>the Nazi regime launched 100,000 procedures, followed by 45,000 sentences under a criminal law that endured until 1969

It's not just the Nazi's that need to apologise, since the official anti-Gay "Procedures" continued for more than 20 years after the fall of the Nazi party.

I'd prefer they sent a half-million dollars in AIDS medicines to Africa, or South America. At least that would be saving lives and easing suffering. That sort of humanitarian gesture might possibly pass as atonement for decades of murders and undeserved imprisonment.

Buying a piece of overpriced art serves no one besides the artist.

Posted by: Jay Croce | Jan 26, 2006 8:32:12 PM

10. "Plus, German guys are so hot! :-)"

Well, genetically Northern Germans, British and Anglo-Saxon Americans are pretty identical. But hey, I surely can't complain. Talking dirty in German always works - and being 6'7" with massive shoulders also helps ;-).

"I'd prefer they sent a half-million dollars in AIDS medicines to Africa."

Frankly, Africa doesn't need charity. What Africa needs is patents, so they can produce the stuff themselves, a better infrastructure of their own (instead of UN tents) - and in a more general sense: More democracy and a working market economy.

Posted by: Martin | Jan 26, 2006 9:39:05 PM

11. >>I guess they think spending a half-million dollars on a piece of art will make everything better.

I don't believe that anyone who thinks that a memorial monument would make everything better. But it tells a story and while we mourn for the lives lost during the war, hopefully it prevents them from happening again. To me, that is what the monument is about. Not to make things better, because nothing would.

And while I think the money could probably have been spent on some other social issues, I do believe that there should be a balance. Here in Vancouver, they spend so much money on social issues, and we have nothing culturally. (Not saying that we do not have any culture here, but just compared to other big cities, we do not have that many venues dedicated to arts and etc.)

Just my 2 cents.