Nature

BigGayDeal.com

Gayest...Crustacean...Ever

Image hosting by Photobucket

Back in 2004 I joked that a white lobster discovered off the coast of Provincetown was probably the gayest shellfish to walk the sea floor.

No longer. Scientists have discovered this blind crustacean, Kiwa hirsuta, in the South Pacific covered in what appears to be silky, blond fur. They say they've never seen anything like it.

I'm not sure why, but the first thing that came to mind when I saw this photo was Anne Hathaway. I guess it's because Lureen was both blond and also unable to see what was right in front of her.

Anne_hathaway_1_1

Comments

1. Man, that is pretty gay!

Posted by: Roy | Mar 8, 2006 10:53:38 AM

2. This is probably the silliest photo and most hilarious observation you've ever made: comparing a lobster to Anne Hathaway. Thanks for being so gay--in a good way!

Posted by: Genre Joe | Mar 8, 2006 10:55:55 AM

3. I love my graying blond man warm and my lobsters cold.....

Posted by: Raymond | Mar 8, 2006 11:09:05 AM

4. So pretty. It reminds me of the famous Surrealist work by Meret Oppenheim, 'Le Djeuner en fourrure', better known as the 'Fur-lined Teacup'.

Posted by: max | Mar 8, 2006 11:17:25 AM

5. Yes, and I loved the way she paled as her relationship with Jack did. Rememebr when you first saw her? Full of piss and vinegar, screaming in on horseback. And by the end of the film she was as bleached as her hair.

By the way, I gotta tell you, you're doing a great job with the site. Having stumbled on it several months ago, it's now a fave. Have been recommending it to all my friends as well. Keep up the fascinating stories!

Posted by: Peter | Mar 8, 2006 11:32:50 AM

6. Ghetto fabulous under the sea.

Posted by: stan | Mar 8, 2006 12:37:59 PM

7. That's funny, because when I saw the same lobster, I flashed back to that all-hair outfit from the trailer park concert scene in Hedwig and the Angry Inch. I thought this was a Hedwig lobster. (Sorry, couldn't find an online image to include.)

Posted by: Chris | Mar 8, 2006 1:52:44 PM

8. Fucking gay lobsters.

Posted by: Chad Hanging | Mar 9, 2006 12:13:11 AM

9. Ahh...there we go.

Posted by: CHRIS | Mar 9, 2006 1:48:19 PM

10. I'm preparing for the anti-gay-lobster backlash.

Posted by: Chad Hanging | Mar 11, 2006 5:28:39 PM