The Dodge Caliber and Fairies

Dodge_ad

I’m curious as to how people feel about the controversy surrounding this Dodge ad. Some bloggers and gay ad watchdogs have called Dodge out for homophobia.

“It directly finds humor with the term fairy, referring not just to the type that flies around with a magic wand, but also the universally recognizable gay stereotype of an effeminate gay man,” said the Commercial Closet.

Said a spokesperson from Chrysler: “We were pretty surprised that there are individuals that are making the conclusion that sexual orientation can be determined by the type of clothes you wear and the type of dog that you’re walking. Are they suggesting that men that wear colored shirts are gay … or that all gay men dress alike? What we would ask someone to do is look at the ad for what it is. The ad is about the Dodge Caliber, which is a small car that stands apart from the competition because of its aggressive styling, styling that’s anything but cute — the tagline for the campaign.”

There’s some obvious validity to the claims of veiled homophobia, I think, but when you compare it to years and years of GLAAD lauding Will & Grace along with its flamboyant stereotype Jack Macfarlane, this looks like a pretty minor offense.

Is the New Ad for Dodge Caliber homophobic? [queer beacon]
Gay Group: Ad is Anything But cute [detroit news]
Too Tough [commercial closet]

Comments

1. Donald says

I thought the ad was funny. I am not sure that is a gay (more 70th and Park to me) look but rather a look that it is opposite of what the guy looked like before. The fairy is female. Some groups just like to find fault in everything. It’s how they generate contributions, professional naysayer and victims.

2. Jeff says

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this ad for Chryse Sakes! Any objections are just more PC bullsh*t taken to the extreme. The next thing we know these PC idiots will be banning Tinkerbell and labelling Jack McFarlen an enemy combatant. This kind of objection is no different than the AFA harrassing WalMart over BBM DVD’s.

3. says

This ad is the equvalent of a gay joke followed by “Not that there’s anything wrong with that.” At some point the humor has to stop being seen as offensive and start being seen as a ribbing. Besides, that fairy was making things cuter after all. Can we take it as a half-compliment, half-joke? Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

4. Kevin says

I am so glad you posted about this. The first time I saw this commercial my jaw dropped. I couldn’t quite believe my eyes. Then sure enough the second time around confirmed my suspicions and I started asking everyone if they percieved this commercial the same way I did. Nobody seemed to have a reaction. I was starting to wonder if anyone would notice. Anyway, it’s not a huge deal, disappointing maybe. But they sure do know their market: Middle-American, gas guzzlin’ yee-hah’s with no taste.

5. noah says

I agree with you, Andy. The ad really isn’t about homophobia as much as the inability to make the Caliber a cutsey-mobile. It’s kinda lame but inventive. What about the Milky Way commercial where the candybar becomes a sexy woman who says things to make the dump guy feel better. Doesn’t the commerical make the straight guy seem like a doofus who’s so needy that he needs talking candybar to boost his deflated ego?

Frankly, I find Queer Eye’s minstrels far more offensive. The whole jumping around some straight guy’s room and looking criticizing his dirty underwear. On the one hand it’s freaky and on the other it’s subservient in the mammy-is-here to make the white folks all better way (see Stephen King’s “The Green Mile”).

BTW, how do we know that the bald guy walking his dog isn’t a butch gay man instead of presuming he’s straight?

Anyway, today’s NYTIMES.com has an article about anti-feminist streak in many of today’s TV shows, like Desperate Housewives, Lost, and The Unit. The article explains that none of the shows presents strong women who are able to stand on their own. They are either purposely created to be screwed up or defined by their love or misguided love for men. Another show discused is Big Love, in which 3 women are married to one man. The article asks why would three women fight over one man instead of finding one true love along with career and family.

I think this is the same problem with gay images in the media. While there are images of gays, too often they are stereotypic and unreflective of a positive image of a strong gay person who is happy with his/her gayness. People talk about Jack of Will and Grace, but the far more dysfunctional character is Will. Jack is a flamer but one with a better sexual nature who’s more comfortable in his skin. Will, on the other hand, is neurotic and unable to ever land a steady man. Yeah, he’s more “masculine” but he ain’t getting any lovin’ and he’s still into show tunes. (Sorry, but I’ve never been one for show tunes. What can I say except I fell asleep watching Cats and the rest of it drove me nuts! Wonderful Mr. Mestoph-a-dreck!)

6. says

Don’t see anything wrong with teh commerical at all. Saw it on TV a few times and never even thought that the “transformed” guy at the end might be gay, until I read about it earlier today.

We have plenty of issues worth getting upset about. Looking so hard that we find problems where they don’t exist doesn’t help anyone.

7. Scott A says

When I saw the AD I thought that at first it was about cuteness, but when the man makes the comment about “Silly Fairy”, I found that offensive, because the only context I’ve ever heard a man of that apparent manly stereotype say something about fairies is when talking about homosexuals in a derogatory way. If it was just the fairy without the man making the comment then I’d have no problem with it.

8. Steve says

Chrysler, just put down the crack pipe.

A butch blue color worker laughs at the “silly little fairy” who then…makes him…a silly little fairy complete with girlish exclamation (Oh!…can’t you just hear the unspoken, “you bitch”?), polo shirt, shorts, and 4 small dogs on pink leashes. He didn’t get “cuter” (at least to my tastes, YMMV)…he got stereotypically gayed.

I don’t know if it’s *homophobic* per se but it does reinforce stereotypes. Can’t we just quit that?

9. says

Thanks for the post, Towle. I am glad some people seem to agree with me.

I still think the ad is homophobic and Dodge’s response goes to prove it. They play with stereotypes but don’t like it when we perceive the stereotype to be treated badly? Bad Dodge.

And to be certain, I have no problem at all with stereotypes. I love the fact that Jack is a queen. I think we, the gays, owe a lot to the queens. We need visibility. What we don’t need is to be smacked to the side of the road. Also, pointing and making fun of different people is not nice. Period.

10. Ozzie says

Steve, maybe you are a stereotypical gay man but I look more like the butch blue collar worker. I found it funny. Relax… get over yourself, babe.

11. says

Queer bashing? A little. But I’m so relieved to share Andy’s – and mostly Noah’s – opinion, basically. We got no business flipping over this tame shit when we turn 5 hateful, bitchy queens into celebs because they adore exposed brick. And, yes, the A&F and D&G stuff is far, far worse.

12. Peter says

The implication is clearly that this fairy turned the guy gay–c’mon, the little doggies, the little shorts, the socks pulled up to the knees, the sweater wrapped around the neck–each of which by itself may not be much, but when you put it together the wink-wibnk, nudge-nudge is there, though I give the PR rep credit for his clever defense (“Is everyone who wears colored shirts gay?”)

As for Jack MacFarland, Max Mutchnik and whatever his name is should be ashamed of themselves for what they let Jack become (first few years were good). And how Sean Hayes played such a sadly sterotypical character all those years is beyond me. But then again, so is higher calculus. And lower, for that matter.

13. says

If Carlton from Fresh Prince was gay, then yeah, that’s a homophobic ad. Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge he wasn’t. He just dressed like an uptight nerd. Who wore pastels and a white sweater vest crossed over. his shoulders…

14. Larry says

The way I view it, the fairy turned that butch, pit bull walking bear into a closted conservative Christian. Besides, what gay man would wear white socks AND pull them up…seriously.

15. says

My first impression, when the guy pointed and said in that sneering voice that every gay guy knows, “silly little fairy”, that this ad was totally homophobic. I didn’t post about it, because I was afraid of overreacting. But It’s good to know that I’m not the only one who thinks that way. Mind you, in the end, the silly little fairy is not to be fooled with!

16. Dan says

Seems like the tag line is really “anything but gay.” May seem harmless to some to use a gay caricature as a negative image but ultimatley the goal is to sell cars using homphobia (assuring buyers they are the opposite of gay). Pretty lame attempt I agree, but not fair to let them get away with it either.

17. basis4insanity says

Peter…Why $ean Haye$ played $uch a $sadly $tereotypical character all tho$e year$ $houldn’t be beyond anyone…I think it’$ obviou$.

And the guy in the commercial doesn’t look stereotypically gay to me…maybe Old Pasadena Money Retiree Has a BBQ on the Estate. I mean, none of the homos I know would wear an outfit like that: Dykes don’t do pastels, drag queens have better taste, Radical Faeries are into scarves and flowing robe-like clothes, Daddies like denim & leather…oh no! I’m stereotyping…well slap my ass & call me a silly fairy.

18. says

I haven’t seen the ad yet (don’t watch much TV and don’t have sound on the office computer), but Chrysler’s logic seems specious to me. If an advertisement put an actor in a heavy black coat, gave him a large hook nose and shaggy black beard and a black hat, and had him muttering in a heavy Eastern European accent about trying to find a bargain, would I be jumping to conclusions if I perceived him as a stereotypical Jew? Sure, not all Jews look like that and he could just be someone from Eastern Europe who prefers black clothes, but it would take a great stretch of the imagination to view him as anything BUT a Jew. And from what I can make of this ad, it would take a great stretch of the imagination to view the transformed man as anything but a sissy faggot queer. Which is exactly what I believe the ad makers were going for. The real question is whether you find that offensive.

19. David Barber says

Hey I think Disney has a copywright case here — but we are reaching here — relax, think happy thoughts, that will keep Tinkerbell alive!

20. Keith says

The pre-fairy butch version of the guy could also be considered heterophobic, in that he resorts to calling out the fairy… so if we’re looking at stereotypes, then at least acknowledge that it goes both ways… not all “blue collar butch” guys are homophobes…

Also, note our own tendency to assume the transformation results in gayness, and that fairy means gay… We jumped on that train, and yes, that means that others did, too, but pointing our fingers at it, we reinforce the stereotype…

21. says

You might get some clues to Dodge’s intent if you look at the press relase for Dodge launching the Caliber. Dodge has indicate it is trying to target, first and foremost, young males (second, first time car buyers). I would say, “Of Course” it is FAAG Joke. It is a faag joke that the typical twenty-something straight male would use.

Dodge Caliber is advertising on (and is a sponsor of) officepirates.com We have a link to the press release on our blog entry at http://www.tempcity.com/bitchless/index.php?showtopic=1324

22. says

Here’s the underlying issue with this advertisement:

The car is supposed to be immune to feminization. The fairy is supposed to be turning things from masculine to feminine (noted by the transition from dark colors to more vibrant colors and the change in shape and style). By feminizing the man walking the dog, the advertisement automatically sets itself up for homophobic interpretations of its message. What Dodge fails to see is that the connection between the fairy and the feminization of the man is indeed homophobic. The company just can’t see that because of a lack of competency in regards to this issue.

I just ask everyone to step away from harsh initial attacks. Assess the situation and try to see what went wrong.

23. says

I didn’t see anything homophobic about the ad. The “tough guy” character made fun of the fairy and fairy got miffed and “gave him what he deserved”

In the end it was the fairy who was the tough one. I don’t see anything homophobic about that, but I do see something wrong with the commercial’s typical american car maker “you drive our car you can say f–k all to the rest of the world” attitude.

24. says

Satire in advertising is nothing new. Was the reference meant as gay, sure it was. Everyone here saw it. Was it meant as a deliberate insult to the gay community, I don’t see it. I thought it was pretty damn funny. As long as we continue to sound the alarm bell everytime someone uses gay references, we will always end up looking like the ass. Get off the cross and look at it for what it was, a commercial mean to draw attention. Duh.

25. says

Up until the last scene, the fairy was pretty much in-line with what fairies do – causing trouble, being whimsical and casting spells. I’ve played Dungeons and Dragons for over 20 years, so I’m highly qualified to comment on fairy behavior.

As for the last scene, the tough guy was just calling the fairy out as a fairy until she turned him preppy. I don’t know a whole lot of gay men who dress like he does post-transmutation. Plus you have to notice that he’s wearing WHITE shorts after the enchantment is cast – and it’s not even Memorial Day yet. Truly a most horrible curse to be transformed into a poorly-coordinated pre-80s preppy guy. The joke is on him, as gay men know it’s a ill-timed choice of springwear.

26. Jason says

Andy, Noah and others who think this is offensive and stereotypical are wrong. Simple as that. I know a lot of gay people and guess what, they don’t dress or act like that. The commercial is fine, it’s funny, it’s cute and Chrysler is right in their response. Now get your wadded up thong outta your ass, and see it for what it is – a commercial with a new twist.

27. says

Not offended at all by the commercial myself. But, then I am much more like the butch guy walking the lab than the fem guy he gets turned into. I think that is where we all are divided on this issue. If you perceive yourself as more like the butch guy, you’re less likely to be offended and vice versa…

28. Donald says

How nice Jason knows a lot of gay people and it makes him an expert. I know a lot of women but I am far from an expert, I know a lot of straight people and I am far from an expert, I know a lot of black people in fact I am partnered with a black man but I am not an expert on the black experience.

Sorry but I just had to snark on the “I know a lot of gay people” I bet Jason has used the “and some of them are my best friends” line also.
    OK I am cranky I had a terrible lunch and I am paying for it before a big conference call.

29. Rad says

When I saw the commercial, I was thinking “Evil Tinker Bell”, and nothing too homophobic about it. I find those “EarthLink” commericals more insulting. I still would never buy a MOPAR product, though.

The Dodge commercial never registered with me as anything other than what it was.

R

30. says

I think it’s funny that the little fairy turned the big butch bastard into a wimpy preppie freak. I don’t see the homophobia here.

People see what they want to see I guess. I find the Nabisco “Snack Fairy” commercial much more offensive.

31. Chad Hanging says

An average but masculine guy walking his dog points mockingly at a fairy already knocked down on the sidewalk by a tough macho entity and remarks disdainfully, “Silly little fairy” absolutely conjures up images of a traditional anti-gay opportunistic exchange and I believe it’s meant to. That’s the sole tool utilized to convey the message here, it buoys the whole theme of the ad. They give this mischievous and offending fairy not only the power to emasculate otherwise decidedly masculine icons (e.g. erect buildings, speeding trains, and automobiles named Dodge Caliber.) but in response to being defamed with what is meant to resemble an anti-gay epithet that a typical bully keeps in his arsenal, this fairy also has the ability to exact his revenge by turning the offender into…what else, a fairy to be mocked and laughed at. As fun as that may be, the fairies’ revenge is a false image of empowerment since you end up laughing at two fairies instead of just one. There’s a whole series of commercials for this car and among the various message they mean to send this isn’t the only one of the series designed to promote masculinity over femininity if you check those out as well.

It’s a cute commercial until the end where the subtlety reaches a boil becomes more obvious but it’s directly harmful to no one really. This commercial is not going to give you HIV, it’s not going to beat you up and take your wallet, and it’s not going to burn your house down. So if we can agree that this commercial is not going to throw you into a gay gas chamber let’s move on to the commercial itself and its limited, fleeting placement in the cultural landscape. It’s geared towards those who have been socialized to reject anything found to be feminine where femininity should not be found (e.g. erect buildings, speeding trains, and automobiles named Dodge Caliber.) If we’re not able to recognize the various messages being sent by this commercial because some gay people are self-conditioned to avoid using the H word in a post Eminem world then we shouldn’t be able to recognize that another commercial in this series projects an image of a strong, independent black women because it’s very obvious there and not much subtext is required.

Marketing firms make a lot of money coming up with car names and commercials to promote messages and anticipate the gains and benefits from the reception of those messages. You’ve seen this tool being used to convey a similar message time and again in commercial advertisement. The recent SUV commercial where the dad comes home to see his 5 year old son is clinging a little to tight to his mothers apron-string and in response bucks his chest up proudly and defiantly and sweeps his son up in his strong arms, takes him out to his truck, opens the hood and points to the engine and guides his son to repeat after him, “Hemmy” say it, “Hemmy.” Again, cute harmless commercial but the message is clear: no one wants their son to be a faggot. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. Feel free to spin your wheels making the Eminem-style “faggot doesn’t necessarily mean gay. It just means you ain’t a real man” argument if you can really bring yourself down to that level of discourse. That’s up to you.

One recent commercial, which isn’t so subtle, is the National Rental Car ad that rode the Brokeback wave. It’s in their “use our service to get someplace fast” series and lasts about 10 seconds. It has two guys fishing on a small lake in a mountainous area with their backs to one another sitting at opposite ends of this small fishing boat. The one on the furthest end from the camera turns over his shoulder and says to his buddy, “Hey, you know when a guy….and another guy…” to which the guy facing the camera quickly opens his eyes wide in panic and the next shot is of a speeding car with the clear message, “Use our service to get out of someplace fast.” To suggest that this commercial is going to be the impetus for a homophobe to all the sudden go out and kill gay people would be extreme. You can argue degrees but you can’t possible argue that this commercial is not designed primarily to feed off the homophobic response to the success, acceptance or hype of Brokeback Mountain. I’m personally more interested in the discussion of degrees. Opposite extremes serve to elevate one another more than they cancel one another out.

I also remember in the 90’s when the first gay friendly president came into office and throngs of gays marched into Washington to celebrate rather than protest. It turned out to include some radical dykes and a drag queen but it was otherwise a huge gay celebration gaining national attention for the entire duration of the event and unlike most any other gay news that came before it this gay national news had an inarguable positive tone of tolerance and newfound acceptance. Straight society responded in a variety of ways. One way it responded was by using a popular tool we use to communicate with one another: commercial advertisement. Budweiser debuted a beer commercial for Bud Light that featured a plethora of masculine, traditional American images seemingly owned by straight society that you’d think you hadn’t seen crammed into one place since before the 60’s or after 9/11 at that point clearly meant to appeal to those straight Americans who cringed with fear at the impending acceptance of gays from the highest office. And what was the line in big bold type at the end of this image-driven commercial? “You’re The One With Pride.” You can only reject that this ad was designed for the purpose I mentioned if you have no concept of the relationship between marketing in advertisement and the buying public. Given that I’m on a gay blog I would find that position really hard to take seriously here.

Trying to deride anyone who recognizes how the imagery is being used by saying, “It doesn’t hurt anyone and anyone who is offended must be a fairy himself” really doesn’t change the message being sent. I’ve never understood why those who whine about the “pc police” seem to react to nearly every charge of homophobia by objecting to those making the charge rather than the act itself. I’m sure there are plenty of valid reasons why a person does that. At the same time, if you boycott every company or institution that has promoted or benefited from homophobic advertisement or policies you’d be drinking rain water and eating tree bark the rest of your life and even then, from what I understand, god didn’t create those things for us.

You don’t have to catch someone in the parking lot of a gay bar with a bloody bat in their hand in order to find homophobia. Homophobia is no more limited to realm of an extremist act than PC police seeking out and therefore finding it even where it doesn’t exist. These are just two shades of the same extreme.

Sorry for writing so much, I am home sick from work today so when you bash me please be gentle.

P.S. Speaking of fairies using their wands to make everyone’s lives unbearable, Yanni is going to be on Larry King Live tonight talking about beating up his wife.

32. Nealzebub says

I can’t believe Chrysler expects us to believe they didn’t think anyone would perceive this man as a “fairy”, ie, a stereotypically “flaming” homosexual. For them to then get all high and mighty about not judging by appearance is really ridiculous. Yes, this is a small issue, yes, it is a stupid ad, but it clearly trades on the perceived lower social value of the effeminate man. Therefore, it should be protested. Little things add up- Remember, a butterfly flaps its wings here, and a typhoon occurs on the other side of the world.

33. says

I definitely blogged about this a week ago, and I wholeheartedly agree: they’re targeting straight men who find comfort in homophobia. The gays can’t drive this vehicle, so it must be good for a macho guy like me!

34. says

Though at the same time (sorry for the dual post), I will say that Dodge also has a point: perhaps we’re so expectant of being offended, we are offended by things that aren’t offensive. Still, in the end, I agree with Nealzebub and the others who were offended.

35. Daniel says

It’s not a dumb ad. I’m an ad guy (as I am sure many reading this blog are) and it’s a great use of creativity to make their point. This is the pitch that’s usually not even presented to the client.The fact that Chrysler said, “okay, let’s break out of the grey, maroon mold and do something different” is good.

If we (as a culture) are going to evolve and get what we want (recognition/acceptance) we have to allow the rest of society to adapt to us in their own way.

36. says

This ad is one of the funniest that i’ve seen in a long time. With other countries already having gay commercials for years it is about time that North America got into the swing of things! Pun intended! Thanks Daimler Chrysler!! It’s about time someone stood up to Homophobia!

-Adee

37. TwoDaddies says

Yes it’s Homophobic. Come on guys, just because we’re barraged with it daily doesn’t mean we be okay with it as long as the ad’s are cute or funny. Forget where we’ve been or how far we’ve come, see it as they see it. This is an ad campaign, it attacks gays by ridiculing them for the amusement of str8s. The Blue collar toughie is “punished” not by being turned into a cute cartoon version of Bob the builder, but of a sad gay stereotype.

Don’t you get sick of being the butt of every joke? I read a few comments from gays who don’t fit that old stereotype, so they weren’t offended. Nice! Would the commercial be funny if she turned him into a Step n Fetch it black sambo character? How about a how about a drunk Native American? What other degrading things could the fairy have turned him into that would make people buy that car.

If they’re funny enough are they okay? And Chrysler’s response was pathetic.

“We don’t know what you’re talking about, we are shocked that you might think the man in pink with the little dogs was a portrayal of a Gay man, what are you saying, that all gays are alike?” Yeah I’m buying that they’re smart enough to make an ad like that and not know how it works or what it means.

Maybe if they’d opted for a Cindy Crawford type in a bikini to walk by and mock the fairy, only to be turned into a big mullett headed, flannel wearing 400 pound bull dyke, then people would be offended. Maybe their PT Cruiser sales would plummet. Oops now I’m stereotyping. I guess we can make fun of ourselves. It’s only degrading when Mega corporations like Daimler/Chrysler spend millions to do it.

38. Ryan says

To everyone who doesn’t know any gay men who dress like that, you should try visiting virginia sometime (or pretty much anywhere on the east coast of USA other than manhattan). Somebody is still keeping Ralph L. in business.

Anyway, this car is a piece of crap and the interior looks like it was made out of recycled video rental boxes, so I guess they have to try to sell it somehow.

39. noah says

Jason,
    I didn’t say that I was offended by the commerical. When I saw the guy transformed, I first thought of old, middle-aged men I’ve seen who’ve been dressed in sweaters and carrying their wives’ dogs or shopping in expensive malls with their trophy wives. Frankly, I wouldn’t think any stereotypically gay man would wear that fright fest.

That said, someone used the phrase “PC police.” Okay, I hate that Republican phrase because it was invented to defend bigotry. For instance, “You mean I can’t call a woman a broad/bitch or a Latino a wetback? Well, call the PC Police!” Seriously, this whole politically incorrect bullshit is just a way for homophobes, racists, mysoginists and other haters to disguise their bigotry behind the veil of “freedom of speech”! During the Civil Rights Era, racist “conservatives” decried that Civil Rights laws were an attempt to legislate morality.

40. moptopmouse says

Hmmm..this is a weird commercial, who thought this up.. interesting first part w/the skyscraper & the train.. but then this weird thing gets a little rough with the girl sprite slamming the wall, joe nobody acting antisocial and then the money shot: the corny ‘transformation’ as punishment.. there is a lot of psych symbolic ‘triggers’ in this one, looked good till the flying girl went splat gainst the building yall..

41. Tim says

How is “silly little fairy” homophobic when it is directed at a computer generated female fairy. Perhaps, he saw a “fairy” and thought it was silly. Therefore he said what he said. Why are people so hypersensitive? AND… when was the last time you heard someone shouting abuse at someone on the street, prefixing it with “silly”. Hardly the harshest of curse words is it?

42. roger says

Watch the ad again. When the guy says silly fairy, listen to his voice — that ain’t no macho man. I actually thought the little pixie “bitch slapped” the guy: “don’t call me a silly fairy, bitch!” And then the pixie turns him into one. Fabulous! Wish we could all do that to the Falwells, Bushes, Cheneys, Frists, Santorums, and Romneys! I thought it was very daring, actually.

43. Pat says

wow, I didn’t see anything homophobic at all, I thought it was hilarious. some of you are just looking for people to call homophobic…shame on yourselves

44. says

I just thought it was a dumb ad.

I know plenty of gay guys who are “fairies.” Every Saturday, I see guys like this walking their dogs to the dog park down the street. They’re dressed stereotypically gay, walk stereotypically gay, have a stereotypically gay dog, hold the phone stereotypically gay, sound stereotypically gay.

Some gay guys are stereotypical fairies! Just because Dodge puts one in their ad doesn’t make them homophobic.

45. kyan says

Many of us as gay people can see the humor in this — and most of us know some ‘stereotypical fairies’ — and we think they are wonderful. But that wasn’t the point of the ad. The punch line of the ad was to make fun of the guy, being turned into someone to be mocked, laughed at, and undesirable. WE know that the guy walking the dogs could be a fabulous person and fun to be with (except for the wardrobe), but the commercial wasn’t written that way. If only the guy hadn’t used the ‘silly little fairy’ phrase in the way he did, the connection to the ‘fairy’ walking the dogs wouldn’t be there. It would have seemed like the real fairy actually ‘cleaned him up’, like she did everything else. But because he insulted her, his punishment was to become someone that everyone else makes fun of — a very undesirable person (in the minds of people that this is marketed to).

46. Joshua Haught says

Nothing Homophobic here. Just some peoples shorts in a bunch. Isn’t there any REAL homophobism going on in your neighborhood guys?
    I’m offended by the Queer Eye guys, and Will and Grace. You want to bitch about sterotyping……send protest letters to those shows.

Professional whiners can be offended on an hourly basis in this country(and others). After awhile no one listens to the cries of *wolf* anymore.

47. Jason says

I agree with Pat and Tim.
    And Donald, you must have had a bad day, cause I never said expert. You just read that into it. Just like the commercial, you are reading into it more than what is there. Trust me, in Dallas, of the fags I know and the ones I don’t, no one dresses like that. And Dallas is one the most pretentious, attititude-having cities you will find. But I will guarantee that Sunday, April 16 at “Easter in the Park”, of the thousands of fairies there, none will look like tinkerbell or the guy in this commercial.

48. Raymond says

Are some individuals old enough to remember when racial jokes were shared and accepted in most social settings?

The “n” word is verboten, but the “f” word is the rage…..

49. moptopmouse says

Year 2021, nostalgia will set in, and in Dodge’s favor this cm will be thought of as a campy cult classic, well loved by the gay community as a whole..

50. James says

This advert is cute, funny, and bound to be a classic. It’s rare to see this level of inventiveness and risk-taking in an American commercial. Very refreshing. If this advert offended you, lighten up and try to get that sense of humor back you probably had as a kid.

51. Mike, Baltimore MD says

I’m a gay man, and I love the ad. But I could see how some gays with a persecution complexes and low self-esteem would find it objectionable.