I'm Gay | Lance Bass | Magazines | Music

BigGayDeal.com

Lance Bass: "I'm Gay"

Lance_is_gayYes, the rumors are true. Lance Bass has come out of the closet in the latest issue of People:

Having pursued acting, producing and – most memorably – space flight after ’N Sync went on hiatus in 2002, Bass now is looking ahead to new beginnings. He is in a "very stable" relationship with model-actor-Amazing Race winner Reichen Lehmkuhl, 32, and is developing an Odd Couple-inspired sitcom pilot with Fatone in which his character will be gay.

Mostly, though, he’s just enjoying the relief that comes with the culmination of a long, at times emotionally fraught journey.

"The thing is, I’m not ashamed – that’s the one thing I want to say," he explains of his decision to come out. "I don't think it's wrong, I'm not devastated going through this. I'm more liberated and happy than I’ve been my whole life. I'm just happy."

As for why he's talking about this now Bass says, "The main reason I wanted to speak my mind was that (the rumors) really were starting to affect my daily life. Now it feels like it's on my terms. I'm at peace with my family, my friends, myself and God so there's really nothing else that I worry about."

Good for Lance. It's very easy to say 'you should have done it sooner' but I applaud him for finally making this decision. The issue hits newsstands Friday...

You may have missed...
As Seen in Provincetown — Part One [tr]
No Privacy for Lance Bass at Gay Bar [abc news]
(thanks for the tip barry)

Comments

1. and we care why????

Posted by: dc-20008 | Jul 26, 2006 9:55:53 AM

2. Good for Lance. Still, some people don't need to come out of the closet...Some so obviously gay that the closet tiptoes away fro them without them knowing, then hightails it out of sight. I think that was Lance. But we need more publicly-out-and-proud celebrities, so right on. And in the absence of real celebrity, we will sontinue to take what we can get. Congrats, again.

Posted by: GBM | Jul 26, 2006 9:58:10 AM

3. Once again, another celeb who everyone and their grandmama knew was a fag comes out only after repeated outings in the press. Would he have otherwise?

Posted by: Dottie | Jul 26, 2006 9:59:23 AM

4. Good for him. A Southern Baptist from Mississippi has to over come a great deal of emotional baggage to come out. This is very significant for him and I hope he's happy.

Posted by: sam | Jul 26, 2006 10:02:55 AM

5. What matters is that he is finally saying it. He had to be ready to come out and until then everything was circumstance and rumor. Well, mostly anyway... I hope he's happy and his family/friends support him. I may be only 24 but when I saw him on that Disney channel N'Sync concert so long ago I thought "well here's hoping he'll be happy one day."

Posted by: Rob (lrdarystar) | Jul 26, 2006 10:05:00 AM

6. How and when someone comes out should always be on their own terms. What I find appalling is when gay press itself outs gay celebrities with rumors and such....and all the sarcastic comments, then when the celebrity does ultimately come out, they applaud him.

Posted by: Patrick | Jul 26, 2006 10:10:44 AM

7. Good for him. The timing and circumstances of coming out is intensely personal -even if the person is in the public eye! I hope he makes something postive of this and the "I'm Gay" stuff is not just connected to security of being in a relationship but rather comes out of a real and material sense of self.

Posted by: hoya86 | Jul 26, 2006 10:17:16 AM

8. Coming out as gay is traumatic enough, but coming out as Reichen's boyfriend? The horror!

Posted by: 24play | Jul 26, 2006 10:17:25 AM

9. LOL...Patrick..'Gay Press'? What's that? If "Us" Magazine counts as press, then I guess 'gay press' counts too.

Posted by: psmike | Jul 26, 2006 10:19:14 AM

10. You're right -- he was outed in the press and only came out to quell any further speculation. However, if there is somebody out there, say another Southern Baptist boy in Mississippi, can see it as positive, I don't care why he came out.

Posted by: David | Jul 26, 2006 10:28:50 AM

11. For once it would be nice to see someone come out during the prime of his/her career, not after it has already ended. It almost smells of a publicity stunt to attract attention to his proposed TV pilot.

Nonetheless, good for him. It's still a big deal to have your face with "I'm Gay" in 78 point font underneath on the cover of People Magazine.

Also great that the frosted hair appears to have seen its last days.

Posted by: Dan B. | Jul 26, 2006 10:29:42 AM

12. As a fellow "Southern Baptist from Mississippi" I know where Lance comes from. I applaud him for coming out, regardless of the circumstances. Better late than never.

Wow, we Mississippi queers are "coming out" of the woodwork: me, Will Wykle and now Bass. When I was growing up in Mississippi, I didn't know there were THREE of us in the whole state!

I'm a bit curious about the People headline that claims he was "Hurt by the rumors". What rumors was he hurt by I wonder? The rumors that he was gay or some of the other petty and meanspirited rumors about the status of his relationship with Reichen.

Posted by: Zeke | Jul 26, 2006 10:30:22 AM

13. I applaud Lance! It is SUCH a hard thing to go through. I was his age when I came out, and I know the pressure he must have felt to finally admit it (family, friends, associates). Compound that with having some celebrity status that thrusts your life under the microscope more often than you would care to. Good for him! And FINALLY, we have an alternative to GM that may show what a young, gay male pop star is suppose to behave like!

I like the comment: "...I'm at peace with my family, my friends, myself and God so there's really nothing else that I worry about." It's a touchstone to the young, gay, closeted Christians that are terrified to be cooked in Hell if they come out. You can be at peace with your God and be yourself.

Lance will be a exceptional role model!

Rad

Posted by: Rad | Jul 26, 2006 10:31:13 AM

14. Regardless of whether his celebrity status is as high as it once was in the late 90s, it is a huge deal and a great victory for him. I think it will also be a great thing for gay people of all ages to watch his career continue...or to see how it take shape with this information out there. I really don't see any problems befalling him in the celebrity arena, seeing as he already has a built in fan base that can only grow to include a much larger community. (I am guessing that the saccharine dance pop of N-Sync is not going to be "re-discovered" but that gay people will be watching his newer projects with a bit more interest than they may have previously.)

Based on what I have read, I think he was trying to come out for a long time and I think that the not so discreet "sightings" he was a part of with Reichen were a way of putting a toe in the water and pushing the door open a bit.

Though I am not an NSYNC fan (my tastes run a bit edgier), I would like to see what the future holds for this attractive young guy and I hope he and his love can have a great relationship without the stress and lies of "the closet".

I also think it will inspire young people to be un-afraid and come out to their families, co-workers and most of all to themselves. This often happens when a celebrity comes out and I don't see this as being any different.

Recently, I read a quote in a magazine from Mr. Towleroad himself in which he says he is inspired by the e-mails he gets where people tell him that his site has made them come out of the closet or make positive changes in their lives. That's why it makes perfect sense that this article is profiled in this blog.

So, to our Blogmaster...thank you for creating this forum. Thank you for including this information as well!

And To Lance...Congratulations!

Posted by: Christian | Jul 26, 2006 10:34:49 AM

15. Regardless of whether his celebrity status is as high as it once was in the late 90s, it is a huge deal and a great victory for him. I think it will also be a great thing for gay people of all ages to watch his career continue...or to see how it take shape with this information out there. I really don't see any problems befalling him in the celebrity arena, seeing as he already has a built in fan base that can only grow to include a much larger community. (I am guessing that the saccharine dance pop of N-Sync is not going to be "re-discovered" but that gay people will be watching his newer projects with a bit more interest than they may have previously.)

And To Lance...Congratulations!

Posted by: Christian | Jul 26, 2006 10:35:54 AM

16. Let's start the over/under on how long before JC Chasez comes out.

Posted by: MP | Jul 26, 2006 10:38:12 AM

17. I couldn't have agreed with 24PLAY more.

Posted by: Zakky | Jul 26, 2006 10:38:35 AM

18. one down four to go...

Posted by: anon | Jul 26, 2006 10:58:31 AM

19. The more fascinating part of this article is when Mr. Bass equates "stable relationship" with Reichen Lemkhul. I wonder how long before Mr. Bass goes from feeling liberated to jaded? :-)

Posted by: JA | Jul 26, 2006 11:22:29 AM

20. This is always the best PR a washed up star can possible ask for, right Ellen?

Posted by: Randy | Jul 26, 2006 11:28:41 AM

21. Yay, another former boy-band member on "our team." I'd be a little more impressed (and if I was a young closet case, a little more hopeful) if it had instead been a politician, journalist, athlete, elite scientist, or anybody else who is famous for doing something besides making 12-year-old girls swoon. Oh well, take what we can get.

Posted by: John T | Jul 26, 2006 11:30:22 AM

22. Lance coming out is a wonderful thing. And what he has said is the smartest thing he could have done.

Posted by: royaltea | Jul 26, 2006 11:35:46 AM

23. Hey, maybe he will go from "by band also-ran" to a new level of celeb status with whatever projects he may have coming up. I agree that Nsync was prcessed velveeta corporate pop, but he could rise from the ashes to form a new identity...and gain a new level of acceptance.

In addition, you never know... he could be a catalyst for other celebs to come out. There is no way he could have come out at the height of Nysnc's fame... there were to many teenage girl dollars to be had at the time... I know I sound jaded about that, but that's the truth.

Now why the hell doesn't Ricky Martin formally come out? Is he STILL that popular in the Latin community? His last few singles weren't dynamic or memorable and just came and went. Shouldn't he be due for a "phoenix rising from the ashes moment" soon?

Posted by: Christian | Jul 26, 2006 11:36:21 AM

24. People Mag no doubt paid him for the story, but still, at least someone famous ignored their agents and "handlers" and told the truth! (Does anyone know if he still has any agents or handlers?) Now, he should go on that space ride he chickened out of...

Posted by: Anon2 | Jul 26, 2006 11:43:05 AM

25. Christ, the bitterness on this board is really depressing.

Posted by: Greg | Jul 26, 2006 11:54:18 AM