Fire Island | Key West | Laguna Beach | Ogunquit | Provincetown | Rehoboth Beach | Saugatuck | Travel

NYT: The New or Not So New Wave of Gay Destinations

Michigan_1

The New York Times today covers the lesser-known gay destinations: Douglas and Saugatuck, Michigan; Ogunquit, Maine; Eureka Springs, Arkansas; Guerneville, California; Rehoboth Beach, Delaware; Asbury Park, New Jersey; Pahoa, Hawaii; Asheville, North Carolina; and Sullivan County in upstate New York, noting that the internet has caused these pockets of gay culture to become more well-known.

GogoThe Times makes sure to note, of course, that despite the far-flung aspect of some of these destinations, there's still the requisite go-go boy, which is either sad, hot, or hysterical depending on your perspective.

So, if you're not up for the well-trod destinations of Provincetown, Key West, Fire Island, or Laguna Beach, and you're looking to be around gay people you may have more choices than you think. It's great to see these smaller destinations covered. I grew up in Chicago and visited Saugatuck a handful of times when I was a child, but I've always wanted to revisit.

Anybody know of other small gay destinations around the country that aren't covered in the article? If so, or if you'd like to voice your opinion about some of the places covered in the article, please do so...

Comments

1. My partner and I recently discovered Ogunquit ME, and found it to be quite charming and very low keyed. It was just a marvelous "long weekend get-away" destination. Nary a go-go boy in sight, however there is a piano bar and the local drag characters that mingle up and down the quaint avenues. Everything is very much walk-able.

The other place not listed here is St. Petersburg and Tampa Bay FL, featuring a rather "rustic"... okay... dated gay (St. Pete) resort, plenty of gay night life and of course, near pefect tropical weather. Go-go boys a plenty, access to some of the most pristine beaches in the Western hemisphere (Ft. DeSoto, where one might happen upon a clothing optional area or two). It is... mature, yet lively. Pack light. Leave your inhibitions and pretenses at home. Though I lived there (St. Pete), I don't care to move back, but it is a fun place to visit.

Posted by: Rad | Jul 14, 2006 9:35:04 AM

2. Rehoboth Beach has no go-go bars (even the last go-go bar in Baltimore, Atlantis, is gone) but we do have Sunday Tea. Tea Dance usually includes a hot lifeguard or two who will let you do shots off of their body parts. Complaint: why did lifeguards stop wearing speedos?

Posted by: Joe | Jul 14, 2006 9:36:22 AM

3. Austin, Texas is one of the best Gay friendly places to visit. Nice bars, and even the straight bars are mixed with The Gays, and then there are the gorgeous lakes/rivers/hills. Hippie Hollow is out on Lake Travis, and it'a a natural limestone park, lots of cliffs, clear blue water, and it's the only nudist park in Texas... great fun, HOT guys, and the best sunsets in the state.

Posted by: Wayne | Jul 14, 2006 9:44:27 AM

4. I was surprised to hear Ogunquit Maine as a lesser known gay destination. I have been going for years and meet guys from all over the world. It has 3 nightclubs in town and all thre are gay, gay, gay. :O)

Posted by: David Goulart | Jul 14, 2006 9:45:43 AM

5. What a great article about the smaller destinations that are out there. If anyone's planning on a trip to Saugatuck, my partner and I would love to have you at our B&B. There are so many great, gay-owned businesses in the Saugatuck/Douglas area along with one of the best beaches going. Just a fantastic little town for a nice getaway. Gay Family Week just finished up this week and was another huge success.
    Click on my name or visit our website at www.beechwoodmanorinn.com.

Posted by: Gregg | Jul 14, 2006 9:47:20 AM

6. My partner and I make a trip to Rehoboth every year (we live in Baltimore). We love it. Its very gay friendly with nice mix of straights. The gay community ranges from the DC/Baltimore time share crowd, older permanents and some out of towners. Other benefits are DE tax free shopping and the outlet malls which are a 20 min ride from the beach.

Posted by: Shan | Jul 14, 2006 9:52:29 AM

7. Northampton, Massachusetts -- not just for lesbians anymore! Dozens of great restaurants, amazing art museums, galleries and great biking and hiking all within 10 miles of each other. 2.5-3 hours from NYC; less than an hour from the Berkshires.

Still a quiet little secret with a handful of famous residents. www.explorenorthampton.com

Posted by: Michael | Jul 14, 2006 10:26:42 AM

8. The New Hope, PA - Lambertville, NJ area

Posted by: Donald | Jul 14, 2006 10:35:14 AM

9. Saugatuck, Michigan is a fantastic get away. My first trip we walked the beautiful Michigan Dunes. That night we made a small bond fire and was surprised to see the Northern Lights over the lake horizon. The gay campsite there is a testament to queer innovation. Usually kitchy only with more color and dance music. My favorites were the tents. Everything matching like a Bloomingdales display window.

I will also give props to RAD's mention of St. Pete, FL as a good destination. I spent a fantstic weekend at Bedrocks bar years ago on Treasure Island there. Fantstic gay beach where they serve you drinks in the sand.

Posted by: Blake Fox | Jul 14, 2006 10:49:46 AM

10. When I lived on the East Coast, I loved going to Rehobeth. We found an absolutely great, gay bed and breakfast. Also if you go, you will discover The Poodle.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Jul 14, 2006 10:55:09 AM

11. My partner and I were in Saugatuck last year on the way to our place in northern michigan. It is a great little town.

Posted by: Rich | Jul 14, 2006 11:25:20 AM

12. Went to P-town and Ogunquit for the first time about ten years ago...hated P-town, thought it a glorified gay Eaton Centre, overpriced, over commercialized and quite simply, well, um, over.
    Ogunquit on the other hand was amazing and I continue to visit. Highly recommended!

Posted by: Mark | Jul 14, 2006 11:46:08 AM

13. As a DC-Maryland native, Rehoboth has a place in my heart. When you're young, you're likely to go there with family to enjoy the beach during the day and hit the boardwalk games and rides at night. But as you grow up, you start to realize that there's a whole other world there, starting when you take a long walk down the beach and find yourself suddenly amongst a bunch of hot, oily men in tiny swim suites. That would be "Poodle Beach" on the north end, with an absence of screaming children and a presence of beach volleyball and rainbow sunbrellas.

I agree with Shan's description of the crowd there. Rehoboth/Lewis is a popular retirement community, so a lot of gay people from DC, Baltimore, and Philly retire there. The locals tend to be a silver set, all knowledgeable, leather-skinned, and very friendly. Every summer, tons of vacationers from VA, DC, MD, PA, and NJ descend on this tiny little resort town, which is always really exciting, because the place is totally deserted during the winter.

Cloud 9, the Purple Parrot and 59 Lake are all bars with small dance floors. The former two often have drag shows. The Frog Pond is popular with the ladies, while the Blue Moon is the most popular destination for guys. Aqua is almost entirely made up of a large outdoor deck/patio and features super-cute shirtless cocktail waiters, many of whom are straight and smile charmingly at the flirty comments and gropes from their tipsy (but tip-happy) customers.

Some of the biggest dances and events happen at the roomy but dryly-named "Rehoboth Beach Convention Center." That's the closest space to a large club that Rehoboth has to offer, but the gay community makes very good use of it.

Also, you can enjoy the fact that many of the shops, cafes, and restaurants in town are owned by gays and lesbians.

Posted by: Daniel | Jul 14, 2006 12:08:00 PM

14. What a bad fag I am. I don't go to destinations because of the homosexual population, I go for the history, culture, or natural beauty. I might as well start screwing women, I guess.

Why must everything we do be "gay"? Why can't we just be gay people who do things, instead of people who have to do gay things?

Posted by: Dave | Jul 14, 2006 12:21:58 PM

15. Did we forget about the West?

I've always heard that Santa Fe is a great gay destination. I'm from Boulder, CO and I must say that it's both beautiful and very gay-friendly. Denver has a growing respectable gay scene, too.

The most surprisingly boring place for gay vacation has to be Las Vegas.

Posted by: Josh | Jul 14, 2006 12:22:21 PM

16. Been to so many of these places over the years, and had a great time at all of them. Loved Rehobeth...had this great, old time seedy vibe like the S.Jersey Shore. Michigan is great....like Beach #1 in Erie, PA's Presque Isle, but on a MUCH cooler scale. The really great little place listed is Eureka Springs, Ar. I only went once....but if you want to just chill in a really beautiful, and largely unknown part of the country, it's worth a visit. I was there during the winter, and it was so gorgeous. The Ozarks... (yeah yeah laugh..lol) are really beautiful if you live anywhere near them...

Posted by: PSMike | Jul 14, 2006 12:26:42 PM

17. Guerneville, California? That is the tiny town central to the Russian River Resort. The town might not be known, but Russian River not known? Only to those who don't know about Fire Island.

Posted by: D.S.H. | Jul 14, 2006 1:04:50 PM

18. Dave,

A lot of people probably go to gay places so they can relax, and be openly romantic and flirtatious with someone they like without having to worry that someone might have a problem with it. I'm with you actually; I've never gone to a gay vacation spot, but I did once have an uncomfortable experience at a B&B. The owner was kind enough to my partner and I, but she was obviously uncomfortable with housing 2 fags in the same bedroom (and also a proud owner of all of Tim LaHaye's books). The rip itself was a nice enough but also palpably strange, and we didn't feel especially welcome.

Posted by: GBM | Jul 14, 2006 1:15:36 PM

19. Well, it's pretty small and very gay, but I was introduced by my ex to a small mountain town in Eastern PA called New Hope a few years ago. It was mostly older professionals, but that also included older gays. Also, it had (I think) two gay bars. I went to one and it was fun. My ex and I also walked around the town. They have quaint shops and small winding streets. It was really cute.

Posted by: Bobby Alexander | Jul 14, 2006 3:06:08 PM

20. I want to see more of that gogo boy. Where did you say he is????

Posted by: Alan | Jul 14, 2006 3:14:07 PM

21. ...not that I want to go to a vacation getaway with gogo boys, but, well,. . . .

Posted by: Alan | Jul 14, 2006 3:15:20 PM

22. Yellow Springs, Ohio is a nice weekend getaway, especially for the ladies. Home of very liberal Antioch college and even comic David Chapelle, it serves the greater Cincy/Columbus/Indy area. For nightlife nearby Dayton is alot of fun. Check out one of the best clubs I have been to (yes, I do travel) called Masque.

For more of a city vibe, Columbus has around 20 gay bars/clubs. Something for everyone. A blue city in a purple state. Think Austin in red Texas but larger, 15th largest in the country to be exact and 2nd largest gay pride in the Midwest behind Chicago. See historic German Village and artsy/gay Shorth North.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 14, 2006 6:46:45 PM

23. Pahoa Hawaii? If you mention to one of the locals here in Hawaii that it is a gay spot, they would be like "What have you been smoking"? However, it is an extremely beautiful place, right next to a black sand beach (yes, a black sand beach) and the active Kilauea volcano.

Pahoa Hawaii is also a federal "Weed and Seed" area and is one of the top commercial areas for marjuana purchase in the nation. If anything its reputation for marjuana smoking and drug commerce far outweighs its awareness as a gay spot. But the locals over in Pahoa are really chill and laid back.

Posted by: Sean | Jul 14, 2006 7:37:53 PM

24. New Hope in Buck's County Pa and when I lived in Florida New Smyrna beach had a nude gay beach way out at the end of the state park. I'm pretty sure it's still there. Ogonquit is beautiful, been there before. I now make it down to Rehobeth often living in Philly and all.

Posted by: Barry | Jul 14, 2006 8:08:02 PM

25. I just saw the post with Columbus Ohio and agree. Ohio State University is there and its got a great little gay communitee, very fun and German Village is a great place to get gardening inspiration, take your camera!

Posted by: Barry | Jul 14, 2006 8:14:36 PM