I'm Not Gay | Oprah

BigGayDeal.com

Oprah and Gayle: "We're Not Gay!"

Oprah's said it before and she'll probably say it again.

"I understand why people think we're gay. There isn't a definition in our culture for this kind of bond between women. So I get why people have to label it -- how can you be this close without it being sexual?, Oprah says in the August issue of O. "Something about this relationship feels otherworldly to me, like it was designed by a power and a hand greater than my own. Whatever this friendship is, it's been a very fun ride."

Adds Gayle, "The truth is, if we were gay, we would tell you, because there's nothing wrong with being gay."

Comments

1. What a hypocrit Oprah is. She is constantly making homophobic remarks on her show.

Posted by: liar | Jul 17, 2006 4:09:24 PM

2. Really? Like what? I'm shocked to read that especially after her "Brokeback Mountain" Special...

Posted by: Cory | Jul 17, 2006 5:00:34 PM

3. First of all, who the hell gives a crap if those two are gay? Didn't those gay rumors about them die long ago?

As far as Oprah being a homophobe, well, all I do know is that she has a habit of stereotyping gay people a lot. Especially gay men. I don't think she hates or dislikes gays, but on a certain level she can be pretty damn ignorant. Plus isn't she good friends with the anti-gay Winans family?

Posted by: leesa | Jul 17, 2006 5:12:18 PM

4. Her "Brokeback Mountain" "special"? Did I miss that? All I saw was her devoting only little more than half of one show to one of the most talked about movies in decades, then dismissing its four talented leads in order to burn up the rest of the hour with some talentless male fool who plays a woman in his films and stage act, and, essentially, trying to torture out of Heath and Jake some answer to her typical homo-ignorant questions like, "Yes. YES, Oprah!!!! Having to portray gay men on screen, having to kiss another man on screen, simulate sex, was the most horrible thing we have ever gone through in our entire lives. We would rather have played mass murdering cannibals. We would rather have had to rim a diseased, pus-dripping, fly-infested camel's ass while raping our grandmothers. YES!!! Oprah. YES!!!!" When is Ned, et al., gonna get off their knees and bitch slap some sense into this fake saint?

Posted by: Tagg | Jul 17, 2006 5:38:57 PM

5. Her BBM special screamed homophobia.

Posted by: Kurt | Jul 17, 2006 6:18:55 PM

6. No O ... you're not gay.

Because if you were and too cowardly to take the obvious stand for equality, then ... what a sorry soul you would be.

So, yeah ... you can't be gay.

Posted by: taylor Siluwé | Jul 17, 2006 6:23:59 PM

7. "Something about this relationship feels otherworldly to me, like it was designed by a power and a hand greater than my own. Whatever this friendship is, it's been a very fun ride."

Um, Oprah's description of her relationship with Gayle sounds pretty gay to me. They met, they licked, they loved, it's a lifetime. The story of a million lesbian love songs.

Posted by: Linear | Jul 17, 2006 6:41:38 PM

8. I missed that BBM special, or whatever it was... Oh well...

Posted by: Cory | Jul 17, 2006 6:57:51 PM

9. Oprah's so GAY!

Posted by: Matt | Jul 17, 2006 7:30:51 PM

10. I'm sorry but Oprah is a bigot, nothing more, nothing less. A bigot is a bigot, no matter the $$$ they have or who and what they are. Having $$$ does not make a person intelligent or enlightened.

Posted by: JKM | Jul 17, 2006 8:18:54 PM

11. So let me get this right: a mainstream talk show host is not on the money when it comes to gay stuff. Wow. Call the Times. Why should we expect the big O to be conversant in gay stuff? Yes it would be nice, but it's nothing we should expect.

peace

Posted by: James | Jul 17, 2006 8:58:59 PM

12. Who cares if she is a big ol' dyke.

She's a fat cow. Who'd want to eat that??

Posted by: dc-20008 | Jul 18, 2006 8:56:29 AM

13. All that money and power DC would make me, and a whole lot of others, chow down!

peace

Posted by: James | Jul 18, 2006 9:37:32 AM

14. Of course, they edited the part out where Oprah tells Gail, "I wish I could quit you..."

Posted by: Steven. | Jul 18, 2006 9:53:09 AM

15. Oprah. Someone who is so self-rightous that they have to produce a monthly magazine just so she can be on the cover.

Oprah. Over-bearing, over-weight, over-exposed.

Oprah. Makes Sally Field tolerable!

Posted by: Mark | Jul 18, 2006 11:27:28 AM

16. Her thinly veiled digust of gay men is so obvious. And don't forget her special on "Black men on the downlow" that was pretty ignorant too!!!

Posted by: talldarkman | Jul 18, 2006 12:02:49 PM

17. was this just bait to bring back leland and all his posting fury? his posts were tantrums - fully of fury, signifying nothing -- and Oprah was a sure bet to give him a wind up. now this - and nothing. has leland left the building?

Posted by: resurrect | Jul 18, 2006 1:55:29 PM

18. that's hysterical, RESURRECT!
    a Madonna post is sure to ruffle the feathers...

Posted by: Mark | Jul 18, 2006 2:37:48 PM

19. ummmm......While I agree Oprah has SOME issues about gay men, I think the truth comes closer to her feelings about (black or otherwise) men on the downlow. Frankly....I think she's right on that issue. I think lying to cover your self-hatred to someone who loves you is really not cool. No exceptions. She's worth so much money..AND seen first hand that neither Rosie nor Ellen keep middle America away, that she really has no reason to be afraid to come out. Is she awkward with gay men..yeah she is? Based on many responses on a daily basis here, a lot of us are far more awkward and disagreeable with str8s

Posted by: PSMike | Jul 18, 2006 6:13:12 PM

20. I dunno, but who cares? I've heard rumours about her and Gayle but who cares? Even if she were, not every homo in a spotlight should be forced out of the closet just because they're in a spotlight. I've heard she's a bit bigoted, but I guess she's just a worried business woman. I don't know, I'm not about to make excuses for her. But even if she does have internalized homophobia it's not like she's the only homo in Hollywood who does. She hasn't openly attacked gays. So why is eveyrone on here being so negative?

Posted by: Bobby Alexander | Jul 18, 2006 9:48:53 PM

21. Yeah, it's not like the big O is going out bashing gays are trying to amend the Constitution to make gay folk second class citizens. We have others fight people.

peace

Posted by: James | Jul 19, 2006 12:01:27 AM

22. Resurrect,

I can't believe you're using Oprah/Gayle to freak out about Leland. I didn't always agree with him, but--speaking as a writer--Leland was a fantastic writer.
    ~

Y'All,

We're talking about someone who looked uncomfortable interviewing Prince!

It's true that Oprah sometimes does try to get past her "downhomegrown" barriers. Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't.

BTW, don't we have better things to do with our time? Like go make some of her $$$? So people like us can waste time blogging about us? While the interest piles up on our millions?

~

Posted by: Gilli | Jul 19, 2006 12:29:17 AM

23. Everyone in here who is saying that Oprah is gay with Gayle must really have some deep issues. Just because a woman can develop such a strong relationship with another woman does not make them gay. It is called a true-unique-friendship. Everybody who is hating on them is only bashing out of anger and jealousy! It is so sad how people have to get their jollies off of trying to tell lies about another. I know Oprah...she is not Gay...she just has an amazing heart. If this is the best people can come up with to try and put her down...you all better try again...this rumor has been here and has been long gone for some time now. What we DO know about Oprah is that she has helped change our world into a much happier place. She has helped so many people in so many different ways. I am a walking example of this truth. People just need to get a life...stop waisting their energy on such crap and transform it into something productive. Oprah...we all love you and know what the truth is.

Posted by: Alley | Jul 24, 2006 7:43:56 PM