Books | New York | Real Estate | Tom Dolby

BigGayDeal.com

Tom Dolby's West Village Writing Lair

Dolby

Tom Dolby, author of The Trouble Boy, who stopped by this blog on his virtual book tour last year, had his well-appointed apartment covered in the NYT over the weekend (complete with an audio slideshow).

"His apartment may be many people’s quintessential New York fantasy. It’s a 1,200-square-foot corner apartment in a classic 1931 doorman building, with two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a sunken living room with a wood-burning fireplace, a windowed kitchen and unobstructed views of Lower Manhattan, the Hudson River and New Jersey."

Hmm, Hudson River and downtown views, fireplace, signed Christo posters, one-of-a-kind Calvin Klein/Warhol artifacts...

Repeat slowly: thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house...

Decorated in Technicolor [nyt]

Comments

1. surely you don't covet signed Christo posters...

Posted by: A.J. | Jul 24, 2006 2:25:14 PM

2. I'm all in favor of coveting my neighbor's house...and his ass, if he's cute.

Posted by: Ted B. (Charging Rhino) | Jul 24, 2006 2:34:10 PM

3. The table is from West Elm, and the leather chairs are from the Door Store, or to put it in clothing terms, the H+M and Old Navy of interior design.

Posted by: Randy | Jul 24, 2006 2:48:35 PM

4. Sorry, but there is no chance in hell that apt. is worth coveting. It's in NYC--yuck.

Posted by: dc-20008 | Jul 24, 2006 3:23:15 PM

5. Yes, you're right, Randy, the table is from West Elm. Because I don't believe in spending thousands of dollars on a kitchen table. And sorry to disappoint you, but the club chairs aren't from the Door Store.
    Thanks for the linkage, Andy; glad you liked the story.

Posted by: Tom Dolby | Jul 24, 2006 3:23:39 PM

6. I thought the NYTImes story was particularly cute. And Tom Dolby is too! Great place Tom. You should be proud. You'll fill it with a boyfriend and little ones sometime very soon. (Thinly veiled attempt at flirtation.)

Posted by: Jim | Jul 24, 2006 3:29:05 PM

7. I was a block north and east of Tom Dolby's building. Luckily, I had a corner with south and west views too. But sadly, it was a sublet and was decorated in high South Shore Long Island Erte' meets Levitz style. Everything was mauve, carpeting, walls, trim, drapery swags all mauve. The only contrast was that velvet serpentine sectional with the Erte' prints in black lacquer frames, and lets not forget the tragedy and comedy masks left behind by the SAG/Fag I rented from. I tell ya, there were times when the sun hit that room it was like being back in the womb. Ahh, the things we tolerate for a doorman and a laundry. Oh and for the record, these days I too have a West Elm table in my kitchen, but the chairs are from a boy's prep school.

Posted by: Crixi Van Cheek | Jul 24, 2006 4:31:28 PM

8. Wow! A mediocre novelist rich kid uses daddy's money to buy a West Village apartment. That's real accomplishment!

Posted by: Seymour | Jul 24, 2006 10:52:25 PM

9. Well Seymour, luckily we have bourgeois mediocre media junkets such as the New York Times that still roll this high brow shit at you which inevitably causes lesser high brow people to perpetrate the insane struggle to buy a 200 sq foot apartment in this city. HAHAH suckers

Posted by: Peter | Jul 24, 2006 11:26:52 PM

10. Seymour my thoughts exactly. But then mediocre novelist rich kid actually feels it necessary to defend himself to critics (not quite blogger critics but blogger commenter critics - jeez) with a slightly arrogant defense of his economic kitchen table. As if another thousand or two additional for a more expensive table, after spending God-knows-what on interior design and Warhol artifacts at auction somehow crosses the line. Also worth noting is the $400 plastic chair, apparently OK.

Posted by: HUH | Jul 24, 2006 11:40:22 PM

11. Would it have made a difference if his place was a shit shack?

Who cares if his place was featured in the NYT? They've shown worse ones before.

Which reminds me, I have to publish a novel, make lots of money and move to New York...

Posted by: Steven. | Jul 25, 2006 10:40:16 AM

12. Geeze
    Leave the guy alone. It's a nice place whether it's in NYT or not. It's not like it's some roach infested crack shack. Don't be so mean.

I own his book. I dug it. And it's an harmless accomplishment whether you think it deserves a Pulitzer or not. Like I said, I dug it.

And seriously, are we really basing opinions on where Kitchen tables are purchased?

Posted by: Bobby Alexander | Jul 25, 2006 9:54:39 PM