Towleroad Guide to the Tube

Towleroad Guide to the Tube #20

ED HELMS on DAILY SHOW: There Goes the Gayborhood. Hysterical piece from 7/12/06.

DREAMGIRLS: A featurette.

ESPY AWARDS: Lance Armstrong and the anal sex joke for which he has been criticized.

FLIPPY THE MAGNIFICENT: A frightening clip from America's Got Talent.

Catch our previous guides to the Tube here!

Comments

1. Aw, I think Lance was just having a bit of a poke at his chum.

Yet some will call it assinine.

Posted by: spazmo | Jul 18, 2006 10:22:52 AM

2. I'm very excited to see Dreamgirls!!!

Posted by: Roy | Jul 18, 2006 10:27:53 AM

3. Criticized? I thought it was hilarious. What are we, a bunch of prissy Victorian women? More jokes like these, please! And BTW, Lance Armstrong has killer stage presence -- who knew?

Posted by: Thor | Jul 18, 2006 11:07:50 AM

4. Richard Sandomir: WATB (Whiny Ass Titty Baby).

Mr. Sandomir, please leave the faux moralizing to politicians. They, at least, do a much better job of it.

Posted by: Tread | Jul 18, 2006 11:16:00 AM

5. Stupid maybe, but not necessarily offensive. I don't think the audiance was so much laughing as they were gasping in surprise. Is that really the place for a butt fuck joke?

Posted by: jon luddite | Jul 18, 2006 11:26:27 AM

6. Ha ha ha very funny.Looks like the one nut man thinks he's a bag of laughs,stupid jackass.I was happy to see Ben stiller's face.He was clearly disturbed by the bad taste of that joke.It's nice to see that there are still some gay friendly celebrities.as for those idiots and sluts who laughed,they really showed their true colours.It gives me one more reason to hate celebrities and their hypocrisy.

Posted by: Sinda Star | Jul 18, 2006 12:01:19 PM

7. Yes, I gasped in horror at Armstrong's remarks (and at his awful stage presence), but I suspect that if Carson Kresley delivered the same joke (with more wit, please), I would have laughed. But I guarantee that an openly gay celebrity would NEVER have followed an anal sex reference with, "you're sick." And, of course, the further teasing of Jake ("eyes on me") was positively fifth-grade "fag" joke.

A tired, demeaning, and most importantly, not clever, joke. Especially considering how much of his own material Armstrong could work with. Ahem.

Posted by: Anon | Jul 18, 2006 1:58:16 PM

8. geez....what a bunch of whiners!!!!!!!
    Get over yourselves. He was funny.

Posted by: joshua | Jul 18, 2006 2:34:51 PM

9. Lance Armstrong: I freely acknowledge I'm a gay prude. But if we recast the scenario, would it be appropriate for a host to make a similar comment regarding a female (e.g., Hillary Swank) or an openly gay actor (e.g., Everett Rupert)? It is possible to be funny and demonstrate discretion and a bit of class. Attending a Dame Edna performance is one thing; the ESPY awards, quite another.

I, of course, mean no disrespect to Dame Edna.

Posted by: KJ | Jul 18, 2006 2:40:10 PM

10. im suprised at you. that dreamgirls clip has been on youtube for a while.

Posted by: Lew. | Jul 18, 2006 3:36:43 PM

11. I can't believe how humorless some of these folks are. This site (among MANY, MANY others) has been a veritable dreamfest about jake, jake being gay, and lately, jake, Lance, and bongo boy. IS it ONLY funny when WE make the jokes? As far as Carson Kresley being funny...on the rare chance that I see that awful show I cringe on how horrible he is....if his persona existed in the real word he'd be sued daily for extreme sexual harrasment..and he'd lose every time. I thought that Lance was funny and relevant..he was simply addressing what everyone in the crowd knew....the press, particularly the gay press, has been all over their 'love affair'. Why are we horrified if the Christian right tries to 'turn a gay guy straight', but we act like it's our right and duty to 'out and/or convert' every str8 guy in the world..as long as they're pretty?

Posted by: PSMike | Jul 18, 2006 5:59:07 PM

12. Jamie Foxx referred to himself as Jamie Foxx. That's all I could think about after the clip.

Posted by: Chino | Jul 18, 2006 8:24:51 PM

13. I just can't stop wondering why Jeremy Paul moved to the Castro in the first place. He really had NO idea how gay it was? If he has enough cash to live in San Francisco in the first place, then he shouldn't have any trouble finding another section of the city to live in.

Posted by: Jake | Jul 19, 2006 1:49:43 AM

14. Well now I am disappointed. After reading about the Lance's jokes I expected to find that clip deeply offensive or genuinely funny. It was neither.

Posted by: mark | Jul 19, 2006 10:17:57 AM

15. More disturbing than the Arrmstrong clip, I can't believe I'm agreeing with PSMike.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Jul 19, 2006 12:13:56 PM

16. Unfortunately, I was a victim of gay jokes in high school like the one Lance at the ESPY's, it caught on to everyone and made fun of me ALL THE TIME, made my life miserable. Yes sure it is funny when the joke is not directed at you right? Unfortunately, in the gay community, it starts with a single joke and graduates to violence. Good job Lance!

Posted by: Don | Jul 19, 2006 6:09:12 PM