Brandon Flowers | Fire Island | Florida | John Travolta | New York | News | Photography | Republican Party

News: Aiken Bush, Meat Rack Art, The Killers

road.jpg Anti-gay harpy Ronda Storms breezes through the Republican primary in Tampa's Hillsborough County.

Casa_susanna_1road.jpg Drag isn't just a gay thing. Some straights take it very seriously. A visit to Casa Susanna, a 60's retreat for crossdressers in the Catskills: "These men had one foot in the mainstream and the other in the margins. I’m fascinated by that position and their paradox, which is that the strict gender roles of the time were both the source of their anxiety and pain, and also the key to escaping that pain."

road.jpg Tim Burton shot the latest video for The Killers upcoming single, appropriately named "Bones".

road.jpg Clay Aiken to serve Bush: "The White House says Aiken is in line to be named to the President's Committee for People with Intellectual Disabilities."

Travoltaroad.jpg From greaser to hair hopper! John Travolta as Edna Turnblad.

road.jpg The Wire kicks off its new season this Sunday on HBO. Michael K. Williams, who plays a "modern day Robin Hood" who happens to be gay, talks to AfterElton about how his character's sexuality is just one part of a larger masculinity issue he hopes to challenge with his portrayal: "We (black men) can't communicate to each other, so we acquaint everything with being a man [and] show no emotion and nothing weak. You know, a man can't cry, a man can't show vulnerability and we definitely can't be gay. … We are still working on that as a black community. To love ourselves and to communicate with each other and accept each other and our differences. We are still calling an educated brother with proper diction an Oreo cookie. What I am saying [is], it is a lot deeper than the gay issue."

road.jpg One photographer looks for art in Fire Island's famed Meat Rack.

road.jpg Clive Davis says Whitney Houston is on verge of comeback but warns fans "against fans having unrealistic expectations about the album's music production and lyrics."

Comments

1. That Whitney story is BOGUS -- if you follow through the links to the original source -- it states Clive Davis made those remarks to "MTV". BULLSHIT. Clive Davis hasn't done any interviews recently with MTV.

IT'S TOTAL B.S. and only APES would believe that nonsense.

Posted by: shirley | Sep 7, 2006 5:54:25 PM

2. I HAVE SEVERE MENTAL PROBLEMS.

Posted by: shirley | Sep 7, 2006 5:56:30 PM

3. On John Travolta: I really couldn't imagine that anyone could turn in an uglier scarier Edna Turnblad than Bruch Vilanch. I was sooooo wrong.

Posted by: Richard | Sep 7, 2006 5:58:19 PM

4. No one is going to see Hairspray now, outside of a few straight girls in middle America, who still think JT is straight and can't afford to see the play.

Posted by: pbnyc59 | Sep 7, 2006 6:02:26 PM

5. I posted that Times article too. It's a really great piece!

Posted by: habitat67 | Sep 7, 2006 6:10:17 PM

6. There are so many gay people in the Tampa/St Pete area. I don't understand how this Rhonda person can be so audacious with her anti-gay political propping and get away with it.

Posted by: Bobby Alexander | Sep 7, 2006 6:22:35 PM

7. warns fans "against fans having unrealistic expectations about the album's music production and lyrics."

WTF?!!! So then what would be the point in a new album if the music, production and lyrics suck? I think Clive's been hitting the pipe with Whitney.

Posted by: ric | Sep 7, 2006 6:47:21 PM

8. The President's Committee for People with Intellectual Disabilities??? WHAT THE FUCK?

Is this for real? Because it sounds like a group that the idiot Bush himself should be a lifelong member of.

Posted by: HRH | Sep 7, 2006 6:49:48 PM

9. Nest magazine did a feature on Casa Susannah several years ago, lots of photos, wish everybody could see it, was GREAT..

Posted by: moptopm | Sep 7, 2006 8:28:52 PM

10. and JT could stay there awhile..

Posted by: moptopm | Sep 7, 2006 8:44:09 PM

11. I was on set with John Travolta when those pic's were taken last night(Wednesday).

A few cops and plain-clothes guards tried to shield him with open umbrellas from all angles--assumingly to block any photographers. They did this while he stood and walked anywhere, but I still can't imagine how they thought this would actually work.

In between shots, they whisked him around the corner--about 30-40 feet--close to the black Escalade he came from the hotel in. Obviously, this attempt at hiding out didn't work either.
    ~

As per JT's character and outfit, perhaps the guy's bored. YEs, seeing him in this outfit caused me to get over any thrill of seeing/working with him. However, is he not supposed to push the bounds as an artist?
    ~

Posted by: Gilli | Sep 8, 2006 1:55:47 AM

12. I was a bit surprised while reading your blog that the picture I saw [read John in drag] did not correlate with the headline that read "Clay Aiken to serve Bush:'The White House says Aiken is in line to be named to the President's Committee for People with Intellectual Disabilities.'"

Posted by: Greg | Sep 8, 2006 4:43:38 AM

13. Bobby, I lived in Tampa Bay for many years, and what I learned first hand about the gay community there is; they don't give a fuck. I tried. I got sick of the apathy and divisivness within the community and moved back North.

Posted by: Rad | Sep 8, 2006 9:25:47 AM