Gay Rights | Military | Television

BigGayDeal.com

The Daily Show's Jason Jones On Gays in the Military

I'd have included this in our Tube round-up, but I though it deserved its own post. The Daily Show (9/18) nails this segment on gays in the military, juxtaposing the case of Bleu Copas (the linguist who was outed by email in July) with an interview of nutjob Dr. Paul Cameron.

Thank God for the Daily Show.

Comments

1. Yes, but they're still going to die in Iraq.

Posted by: gwyneth cornrow | Sep 20, 2006 10:45:38 AM

2. That's besides the point. Clearly.

Posted by: Kevin | Sep 20, 2006 10:54:16 AM

3. umm...that video was not the daily show...it was a spoof of the preznit's address...

Posted by: anon | Sep 20, 2006 11:13:47 AM

4. Very good! Though the interviewees may or may not have been in on the joke. I think Bleu was stationed in CO.

I've noticed these "researchers" who criticize gay men tend to be older as if there is an age cut-off reflecting changing cultural mores.

Posted by: Anon II | Sep 20, 2006 11:18:28 AM

5. Bill Clinton was the guest that night, did Jon Stewart ask him why he signed such a stupid law?

Posted by: Steve | Sep 20, 2006 11:27:00 AM

6. Jason Jones is so damn funny; and (in my opinion) sexy.

He seems to have absolutely no limits to what he will do for a Daily Show interview. I couldn't help but squirm when he got right up in Cameron's face for a kiss. It was like a trainwreck. You knew it was going to be horrific but you just couldn't look away.

The interview really made Cameron and the whole anti-gay, pro-DADT Hee Haw gang look like the fools they are.

Is it any wonder why I love The Daily Show AND The Colbert Report so much?

Posted by: Zeke | Sep 20, 2006 11:30:40 AM

7. Is it just me or did that doc act really nelly? Seems like he's fixated by what he's trying to hide.

Posted by: Ladd | Sep 20, 2006 11:34:48 AM

8. I love that line about preferring a terrorist attack compared to an uncomfortable shower with a gay. Being a military member that seems to be the first thing the anti-gay guys seem to focus on. The fucking shower! Why? I dont have a damn clue considering one probably spends less than 1% of the active duty time in the shower. This is coupled also with the fact that alot of the shower rooms Ive used are closed off or have dividers. The one time I actually was in a group shower was basic training and everyone was soo busy trying to hurry up we couldnt care less what we saw.

I wish guys like that could just get over themselves. Because they are afraid that some dude could use their image as fantasy fodder I have to lie to my unit about why I didnt bring a date to a military function or miss it. I have to laugh at their gay jokes and sexist, distgusting comments about women. I have to be the quiet one when they share their lame relationship stories or lie about chicks I didnt have. I have to avoid political conversation for the slight chance homosexuality might arise. I know I dont have to put up with any of this. I can get discharged, give up my free tuition and fees for school. I can give up a job I really like and leave the great friends and mentors Ive made. I can give up the chance to travel the world and see things I never imagined I would. I can give up feeling like Im contributing to at least a tiny part of making my country better.

Too bad I enjoy the military more than I hate DADT. Sometimes I wish I didnt. Its amazing the crap I have to put up with and all they ever seem to think about is a guy looking at their ass.

Oh, and thats hilarious! The Daily Show rarely fails!

Posted by: toto | Sep 20, 2006 11:52:08 AM

9. Could I heart Jason Jones anymore than I do at this moment? UNPOSSIBLE!

Posted by: Chefboyardee | Sep 20, 2006 11:53:04 AM

10. Thank GOD for the Daily Show!

Posted by: Rad | Sep 20, 2006 12:21:23 PM

11. that was so funny thanks for the laugh.

Posted by: Lorenzo | Sep 20, 2006 1:05:37 PM

12. Paul Cameron is a discredited Psychologist..now I know why!!! What a wacko. I'll bet he claims to be an ex-gay.....

Posted by: Nick | Sep 20, 2006 5:39:14 PM

13. Hilarious, and I love Jason Jones, even with his back fat.

To whomever posted "did Stewart ask Clinton about Don't Ask don't tell?" (or however the question was phrased....)

No. Why should he? Don't Ask Don't Tell, as lame a policy as it is, didn't get Bleu kicked out of the military while he was working on translating possible threats against our country. Not everything has to be viewed in a "fair and balanced Fox way as every issue or opinion doesn't carry the same weight. I'd take don't ask-tell over the current "stop protecting our country with your language abilities, homo" any day.

Posted by: Marco | Sep 20, 2006 6:05:46 PM

14. It was a greta piece

Clinton also appeared that night on the Daily show, and he never looked directly at john Stewart or the camera for more than a second. I was disapointed. Clitnotn appears to have lost quite a bit of his confidence and charisma.

Hint Hint Hint

look directly at the person you are talking to or at least look directly at the camera.

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Sep 20, 2006 6:18:33 PM

15. Brilliant. Blew every idiotic idea out of the water. What complete and utter arse drivel from the aging anti-gay twat. He should be on his knees giving thanks that guys like TOTO are willing to serve in an institution that is fundamentally antipathetical to his (TOTO's) existence. Get that old fart to go live in a f***** warzone and see how he likes it.

Posted by: cypher | Sep 20, 2006 7:46:05 PM

16. thank you for posting that-- one of the funniest things I have seen in a long time!

Posted by: drew | Sep 20, 2006 8:24:30 PM

17. That was FUNNY shit!

Posted by: Jonny32 | Sep 20, 2006 11:03:37 PM

18. The fact is these people don't genuinely fear the possibility of openly gay people staring at their ass in the shower since: 1) most of the right wing chicken hawks who make this bogus claim have never spent a day in the military and therefore couldn’t know what a military shower experience is like and 2) they’re not so stupid that they actually believe that DADT keeps gay soldiers out of the military or the showers.

The alleged fear of gays in the showers is an inflammatory smokescreen. What actually scares the holy sh*t out of them is the possibility of OPENLY gay men and women coming home, as heroes, in flag draped coffins or with missing limbs!

They're not stupid. They know that if they allow openly gay people to serve and die and be wounded defending this country it becomes MUCH harder to look them, and the American people, in the eye and tell them that they don't deserve the rights that they fought, died and sacrificed for. They learned that lesson from the affect that the racial integration of the military had on the Civil Rights movement and THAT scares the HELL them!

As it stands now they can shamefully deny that any gay person has come back from Iraq or Afghanistan in a coffin. They can challenge any claim of such as a vicious and slanderous attack against a soldier who was unable defend himself, BUT ONLY as long as the soldier himself was not out.

Trust me friends, I served in the USMC for 12 years, including a tour in Desert Storm. It really pisses social conservatives off when I bring up this fact in a discussion about gay rights. Why does it piss them off so much? Because they feel like such an ass trying to tell me why I don’t deserve ALL of the rights and privileges that I was willing to risk my life to defend; the rights that they get automatically even though they’ve never sacrificed a hair for their rights or freedoms.

Openly gay soldiers and veterans like me are their worst nightmare. You get rid of DADT and the floodgate of openly gay soldiers, veterans, casualties and heroes will certainly blow down the last remaining fortresses of legalized anti-gay discrimination.

THAT, my friends is what scares anti-gay people most about getting rid of DADT. And don’t think they don’t talk about it in their closed door strategic planning meetings.

Sorry for getting carried away again. This is something that I take VERY personally and I’m VERY passionate about.

Toto, God’s speed to you my brother. You’ll be in my prayers!

Posted by: Zeke | Sep 20, 2006 11:12:50 PM

19. Jason did a great interview. The Daily Show has done several pieces on gay people in the military, all of them smart and funny.

Posted by: Jack | Sep 21, 2006 8:38:19 AM

20. I was hoping this would find its way to towleroad. I sat there watching it and laughing my ass off. I agree with what someone else said. Cameron gives off a nellie vibe. Methinks he doth protest too much.

Posted by: mark m | Sep 21, 2006 9:20:44 AM

21. zeke

Thank you for your service.

Great post!!!!! Great point!!! I think you put your finger right on the issue.

Again, thanks for your service to our country.

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Sep 21, 2006 9:25:23 AM

22. Oh my god that was excellent! I love how the Daily Show always lets the nut jobs hang themselves! It makes it better, because we don't have to convince you they are crazy, they just show you themselves!

Posted by: duane | Sep 22, 2006 12:59:51 PM