Food & Drink | News

Fried Coke Balls: And We Wonder Why America Has Obesity Issues?

Cokeballs

America's state fairs are notorious for fatty foods, but this year a new entree was introduced that may trump them all:

"Abel Gonzales, 36, a computer analyst from Dallas, tried about 15 different varieties before coming up with his perfect recipe -- a batter mix made with Coca-Cola syrup, a drizzle of strawberry syrup, and some strawberries. Balls of the batter are then deep-fried, ending up like ping-pong ball sized doughnuts which are then served in a cup, topped with Coca-Cola syrup, whipped cream, cinnamon sugar and a cherry on the top."

And they're testing a version they'll fry with Diet Coke — for folks watching their weight!

Comments

1. I'm no elitist when it comes to junk food. I have my weaknesses. But this falls into the same category as 90% of the fast food commercials nowadays that make me sick to even look at them. It seems that the more disgusting, greasy, fat-saturated it is, the easier it is to market.

Posted by: mark m | Oct 27, 2006 10:00:49 AM

2. I agree, Mark. It just doesn't even sound appetizing.

Posted by: David | Oct 27, 2006 10:05:12 AM

3. Okay, I have to admit, when I got on towleroad.com just now and that's the first thing I saw, I automatically thought "yum." The state fair here is like the one time of year where I totally let myself go crazy. Here they have fried Oreos and Reese's cups and they're AMAZING. Now I have to find where those Coke things are.

Posted by: Rob | Oct 27, 2006 10:14:57 AM

4. Haha, you probably don't even need to digest them - what goes in is the same as what goes out.

Posted by: anon | Oct 27, 2006 10:17:24 AM

5. And I thought that picture of the two rock stars kissing was disgusting!

Posted by: JT | Oct 27, 2006 10:21:44 AM

6. OMG....That is a cavity waiting to happen!

Posted by: Roy | Oct 27, 2006 10:22:02 AM

7. It's a shame we continually are in the middle of reading something, and get taken to a full page advertisement so that we have to hit 'return to towleroad', without even noticing what the ad is for. Even worse is when it returns us to a blank page. There are so many ads on this page, do we really need to be pulled away in the middle of reading something? It's just not considerate to the readers.

Posted by: ron | Oct 27, 2006 10:32:41 AM

8. you said... cavity waiting to happen.

Posted by: M | Oct 27, 2006 10:33:27 AM

9. Ron... the ads on this site constantly hi-jack you... mo money mo money

Posted by: M | Oct 27, 2006 10:34:51 AM

10. Psst -- don't tell Andy or his advertisers, but when I use the Safari browser on Mac I never seen these pop-up ads people are always complaining about.

Posted by: John T | Oct 27, 2006 10:37:46 AM

11. cool all use that rowser. between u and I

Posted by: M | Oct 27, 2006 10:39:22 AM

12. This was part of the Jay Leno monolog earlier in the week.

I have to agree with Mark, fast food marketing also makes me ill. A few years ago, I would have been inclined to try the KFC bowls, the BK Superstacker, what ever the HELL Sonic sells, but this summer I really felt like I was a walking heart attack waiting to happen. I educated myself on exactly HOW much saturated fat is in fast food, and my stomach churned. It has been almost 6 months since I last had a Wendy's double combo meal.

I've lost 35 pounds so far.

Posted by: Rad | Oct 27, 2006 10:54:10 AM

13. A friend from Manhattan and I went to the Texas State Fair this year. And I'm ashamed to admit, we bought an order of the fried coke balls, but only because the official fried coke ball taster convinced us to. I ate half of one. It was pretty gross - so sweet I'm surprised I didn't go into insulin shock. I'm not sure why it's getting so much play in the media.

Posted by: OzoneDude | Oct 27, 2006 11:01:33 AM

14. Living in Dallas, I had to go to the State Fair and sample the variety of fine cuisine offered this year, Fried Coke being one of the examples. I went with a group of 7 other friends, so instead of each getting a serving, we all shared so as to not to explode like a human pinata on the carnie rides.

With much anticipation, we finally found the Fried Coke stand. First off, I did not see, nor did I taste, any strawberry in this thing. All it consisted of was fried dough, with Coke out of a 2 liter bottle poured on top, then some whipped cream. Very disappointing. In fact, we didn't even finish it.

Posted by: Darren | Oct 27, 2006 11:09:47 AM

15. Just looking at it makes me wanna hurl.

Oh, and congrats on the weight droppage Rad! Awesome.

Posted by: Derrick | Oct 27, 2006 11:12:12 AM

16. wow. nasty. but the diet coke version sounds fierce!

Posted by: rr | Oct 27, 2006 11:20:52 AM

17. I tried these at the State Fair of Texas -- and trust me these are healthy compared to the other fried items that are sold.

Its sounds really unqiue -- but its essentially cinnamon suger donut holes in glass half filled with coke and topped with whip cream.

The crime is not the unhealthiness of the food but the prices they charge for it. I spent like $60 bucks that day. You only live once -- so I chalked it up as a splurg.

Cheers,

Posted by: Cap | Oct 27, 2006 2:01:53 PM

18. Congrats on the weight loss, Rad!!!

Posted by: mark m | Oct 27, 2006 5:40:45 PM

19. Hey it might actually taste nice

as do most balls :D

Posted by: steve | Oct 27, 2006 8:26:58 PM

20. Clearly, Coke + Deep Fry + Sugar => Weight Concious = Oxymoron. No matter if it's coke or Diet Coke. I mean, Shit like this is basic equation knowledge in Europe.

Posted by: Kiks | Oct 29, 2006 4:43:23 PM