I'm Gay | News | T.R. Knight | Television

BigGayDeal.com

Grey's Anatomy Actor T.R. Knight: "I'm Gay"

Knight_1Whether or not it was related to the brawl that erupted between Isaiah Washington and Patrick Dempsey on the set of Grey's Anatomy earlier this week, in which Washington allegedly referred to T.R. Knight with several derogatory slurs, Knight revealed to People magazine today that he is gay:

"I guess there have been a few questions about my sexuality, and I'd like to quiet any unnecessary rumors that may be out there. While I prefer to keep my personal life private, I hope the fact that I'm gay isn't the most interesting part of me."

You may have missed...
Tab: Isaiah Washington Used Gay Slur in Grey's Anatomy Brawl [tr]

Comments

1. Zeke,

If you reread my statements, you'll see that I never mentioned Lance Bass when discussing celebs who come out after the pinnacles of their careers have long since passed. I didn't name names because there are MANY gay celebs and former celebs who fit into that category.

And call me cynical, but I have a hard time applauding someone's public disclosure of homosexuality when A) the disclosure seems little more than a thinly veiled attempt to revive one's failing/failed career and B) the celeb could have come out at the height of their fame and used their position to advance GLBT causes (simply by coming out), but instead they waited until it was 'safe' and thus were not able to leverage their fame for the good of the community.

I'll bypass Lance Bass and use Michael Stipe as an example. I attended college in Athens, GA during R.E.M.'s heyday. All the members of the band were idolized by the campus frat boys, and, indeed, by legions of straight men across the country. Meanwhile, the campus frat boys harrassed the gay guys on a regular basis. Now, we gay boys and girls in Athens knew that Stipe was gay. We knew guys he had dated and we'd all seen him out at 'Disco Night' the *one* night that *one* bar in town was totally hospitable to queers. We knew Stipe was gay. But the frat boys who worshipped at Michael Stipe's feet had no idea. If he had simply come out, he would have been able to get a lot of straight guys thinking about what it meant to be gay. Instead, Michael hid in the closet. A reporter from The Advocate magazine asked him about the homoerotic lyrics in R.E.M.'s music and asked him if he was gay, and MIchael flat out denied he was gay. Meanwhile the straight guys continued to harrass us. Once R.E.M.'s star began to shine a bit less brightly, suddenly Stipe comes out of the closet. By then it was too late...their fan base had dwindled and refocused their attention elsewhere...R.E.M. was no longer newsworthy...and, because he waited until it was 'safe', Michael has not had much impact in changing people's mind about what it means to be gay.

There are thousands of Michael Stipes out there. Some of 'em look like Lance Bass. Others look like Richard Chamberlain. While still others look like George Takai. And I find it difficult to respect any of them.

Posted by: peterparker | Oct 19, 2006 7:08:12 PM

2. Now, Brother Zeke, you're gonna make me eat crackers in bed again? [not a play on words :-) ] That is, if you keep giving awards out prematurely like HRC. "Lance is ... using his celebrity to help promote gay issues." Other than his pledge at their dinner, I'm unaware of his doing anything else that fits those words—YET anyway.

In any case, bravo for Knight, and a pox on Washington's house if the stories are true. Just goes to prove "hot" doesn't necessarily equate with hip.

Posted by: Leland | Oct 19, 2006 7:18:40 PM

3. I think some of the biggest bigots here are the homosexuals. To call Washington a bigot is bullshit! Some gays here are pretty bigoted and racist. After reading some remarks by some gays on a previous thread its clear racism is alive and well in the gay community. Washington makes one negative statement and the gays are ready to burn him at the stake. So what? Washington called Knight a faggot. Washington didn't force Knight to delcare he's a queer. Knight decided to come out so that's his problem not Washington's.ABC has Washington under contract there could be a lawsuit, a lot of negative publicity for the show. ABC is not firing Washington they will let this story blow over. Knight chose to come out so that's his deal.

Posted by: Amanda | Oct 19, 2006 7:50:18 PM

4. Maybe he's not a bigot, but I think he's an asshole for it nevertheless. Like Mel Gibson drunk, when the going gets tough, the true feelings show. P.S. -- Always thought T.R. was cute. This whole "McDreamy/McSteamy" thing is so lame.

Posted by: Eric | Oct 19, 2006 8:18:41 PM

5. “I think some of the biggest bigots here are the homosexuals. To call Washington a bigot is bullshit! Some gays here are pretty bigoted and racist. After reading some remarks by some gays on a previous thread its clear racism is alive and well in the gay community. Washington makes one negative statement and the gays are ready to burn him at the stake. So what? Washington called Knight a faggot. Washington didn't force Knight to delcare he's a queer. Knight decided to come out so that's his problem not Washington's.ABC has Washington under contract there could be a lawsuit, a lot of negative publicity for the show. ABC is not firing Washington they will let this story blow over. Knight chose to come out so that's his deal.” – Amanda.

“Washington makes one negative statement and the gays are ready to burn him at the stake. So what? Washington called Knight a faggot.” – Amanda.

It is a big deal to many people in the gay community. Washington and Knight are co-workers. Washington knows that Knight is gay and yet he chose to use such a derogatory slur as faggot.

If it had been reversed?

What if Knight had called Washington a nigger? Would you not think that Knight was a bigot?

I am sad to hear that you’ve read other sites that are making this into a racial issue especially since so many black gays are having a hard time in the black community for being gay. Many, many pastors in the “black churches” preach hate from the pulpit. Keith Boykin.com has followed this issue many times. But that is not what we are discussing today.

I had posted a previous comment earlier this afternoon which pointed out that the mainstream media either omitted or neglected to report that Washington used the word faggot.

Also…

“Washington didn't force Knight to declare he's a queer” – Amanda.

That is true – but – Washington’s reference to his co-worker Knight as a faggot during the scuffle with Dempsey certainly did put pressure on T.R. Knight declare openly to the public (TV viewers / Grey’s Anatomy fans etc) that he is gay.

Peace

Pandora

UNITE IN THE FIGHT FOR CIVIL RIGHTS

Posted by: Pandora | Oct 19, 2006 8:23:20 PM

6. Amanda: Kiss this faggot/queer's ass!

Posted by: Leland | Oct 19, 2006 8:45:37 PM

7. >>>No fuss, statement made, move on.<<<

You hear that Anderson?

Posted by: Ron | Oct 19, 2006 8:56:53 PM

8. Amanda,

Sadly, I agree with you that racism is alive and well in the gay community...and that is a shame and a disgrace. However, that does not make Washington any less of a bigot.

peterparker

Posted by: peterparker | Oct 19, 2006 9:04:26 PM

9. Peterparker, if you reread my statement you will notice that I agreed with your statement of support for part of Jimmyboyo's statement. I then went on to say where I disagreed with him. I didn't link you to that disagreement. Sorry if I was unclear.

Leland, I promise I won't send you to bed with crackers tonight. At least I don't think I will. I've never heard that expression. What does it mean?

You're right though, I probably gave Mr. Bass a bit too much credit too quickly. I should have said that he "has made a public pledge to" work for gay rights.

I get the feeling that you're gonna keep me in line from now on. That's cool. Just be gentle! :)

Posted by: Zeke | Oct 19, 2006 9:11:08 PM

10. Ooo. Know what would be a hot story? This is all because Washington and Knight had some little thing going.

Yep...

I'm sticking to that fantasy. :)

Posted by: Damon | Oct 19, 2006 9:11:29 PM

11. I fear I convoluted the expression too much, Zeke. :-) It was just a variation on the saying that you shouldn't eat crackers in bed because of all the crumbs that would end up there, etc., etc. I meant I'd have to punish you by eating crackers in bed for passing out gold stars too soon to young Mr. Bass.

Lame, I know....

Posted by: Leland | Oct 19, 2006 9:19:54 PM

12. Amanda, I agreed with the basic message in your comment. I too was surprised and disappointed with the blatantly racist comments made in this thread. However, you completely lost credibility and legitimacy because of your offensive, homophobic presentation and therefore your legitimate concern was lost in the bile.

You don't effectively challenge bigotry and ignorance by acting like an ignorant bigot sweetheart.

Posted by: Zeke | Oct 19, 2006 9:22:15 PM

13. I thought it was a Barbara Mandrel reference. All I could think of was "You can eat crackers in my bed anytime..." It brought back memories of when I was just a little faglit in Mississippi; I had such a crush on her (don't laugh). I was ready to come out swingin in defense of Ms. Mandrel -- Say anything you want about me but leave Miss Barbara out of this. :)

Posted by: Zeke | Oct 19, 2006 9:30:48 PM

14. hey Amanda!
    What is it the kids say?
    GO SUCK A FUCK.

It's one thing to read a thread of comments by a variety of HOMOSEXUALS and come to the conclusion that gay people are racist.

It's quite another to hear about one individual man making a very hateful comment and to be so willing to not believe he's an asshole. And probably a homophobe.

Posted by: Rey | Oct 19, 2006 11:01:01 PM

15. For Zeke and Leland

Singer: Barbara Mandrell
    Song: You Can Eat Crackers In My Bed Anytime

Hello baby
    I'm sorry I said the things I did.
    It was a silly fight.
    I was wrong you were right.
    What I really mean to say is...

You can eat crackers in my bed anytime, baby
    You can kick off all the covers in the middle of the night.
    You can sleep with the window open wide.
    Do anything as long as your by my side.
    You can eat crackers in my bed anytime.

I should be happy.
    No dishes to wash now but my own.
    No clothes to pick up.
    A double bed to myself now that your gone
    Oh but it's lonely
    I'm sorry i every let you go.
    It's a matter of fact I've got to have you back.
    I just want you to know...

You can eat crackers in my bed anytime, baby
    You can kick off all the covers in the middle of the night.
    You can sleep with the window open wide.
    Do anything as long as your by my side.
    You can eat crackers in my bed anytime.

You can sleep with the window open wide.
    Do anything as long as your by my side.
    You can eat crackers in my bed anytime.

Whoa, you can eat crackers in my bed anytime, baby
    You can kick off all the covers in the middle of the night.
    You can sleep with the window open wide.
    Do anything as long as your by my side.
    You can eat crackers in my bed anytime.

Kisses,

Pandora

UNITE IN THE FIGHT FOR CIVIL RIGHTS

Posted by: Pandora | Oct 19, 2006 11:39:58 PM

16. This was really classy of TR! Even Perez Hilton was surprised, so I don't think there were too many rumors, though everyone here seemed to know it was true the other day.

I do think that Lance's successful coming out INDIRECTLY contributed to this, so he gets no personal credit per se but we are still the beneficiaries.

Now, if TR's career survives, and I don't see why it shouldn't, then maybe the floodgates will begin to open in Hollywood. Are cracks appearing in closet doors around the land? One can only hope.

My father just informed me that the Mets lost. Oh well...

Posted by: Anon | Oct 19, 2006 11:50:31 PM

17. Zeke,

Sorry I misunderstood your first comments.

xo
    peterparker

Posted by: peterparker | Oct 19, 2006 11:52:34 PM

18. Thanks Pandora! :)

My husband just told me he doesn't know what all the fuss is about, he has a cracker in bed EVERY night.

The NERVE!

I'm tryin to figure out if I should be offended. ;)

No problem Peterparker. It's all good bubba.

Posted by: Zeke | Oct 20, 2006 12:52:37 AM

19. Good for him!! I thought his statement was perfect and classy - Bravo!!

Like "Lost", Hairy Chests and Jake Gyllenahaal???

Go to:

ASAP!!

Posted by: jakesboy | Oct 20, 2006 1:19:49 AM

20. I don't watch the show, but he sure is cute!

Posted by: Dave | Oct 20, 2006 1:56:55 AM

21. And the Season of Outing continues:

Lance Bass (one-fifth of NSync)

Darren Hayes (one-half of Savage Garden)

Thomas Roberts (CNN/CNN Headline News anchorman/reporter)

(shudder) Mark Foley (disgraced US Republican congressman from Florida)

Michelle Babin (who, along with her twin Amanda, is still in the running towards becoming the seventh America's Next Top Model) [to be fair, she did say that she didn't know what she was]

RJ Helton (finalist, American Idol 2002) [Because Clay Aiken won't do it. Kidding. :-)]

TR Knight (George O'Malley on "Grey's Anatomy")

Three quasi-high-profile comings-out in one week. Is that a record? Well, it IS National Coming Out Month.

Anyway, I KNEW THAT T.R. WAS GAY!

Good on ya, O'Malley. :-)

Posted by: Alex Sarmiento | Oct 20, 2006 2:08:01 AM

22. Now we just need Anderson to sign on the dotted line.

Posted by: just sayin' | Oct 20, 2006 6:53:56 AM

23. I have a friend of a cousin's neighbor who told me that T.R. is secretly dating Reichen ;)

Posted by: Wayne | Oct 20, 2006 9:02:46 AM

24. Don't forget another (mildly derogatory) variation of the "crackers in bed" phrase:

"I wouldn't kick him out of bed for eating crackers"
    meaning
    "I'd have sex with him, but that's about it."

(This is how I learned it in highschool, but in a heterosexual way.)

Posted by: tjc | Oct 20, 2006 9:42:38 AM

25. I guess there's only one Hollywood PR move that Isaiah Washington can make at this point, and that is to release the following press statement:

"I am an alcoholic and am checking myself into rehab. You see, alcohol makes me say things that I don't really believe. It wasn't ME that said those things, it was the booze."

Hey...it worked for Mel Gibson. And Foley too, for that matter.

Posted by: Chesnut | Oct 20, 2006 10:31:01 AM