Kirk Fordham | Mark Foley | News | Republican Party

BigGayDeal.com

Inebriated, Foley Attempted Access to Page Dorm:
Kirk Fordham to Testify

Mark_foleyMark Foley attempted to gain access to the page dorm in 2000 and again in 2002 and 2003, according to ABC's The Blotter. A former page recalled the first incident: "It was a beautiful summer evening, and I recall Mr. Foley arriving in his blue Series 3 BMW convertible about 9:30 at night. Several of us saw him and went outside to chat." The page said that soon after leaving the program he began receiving emails and IMs from Foley (none of which were retained): "I would turn on my instant messenger, and he would be online at all hours of the day or night. The talk would quickly turn sexual."

The Blotter also reports, "According to Newsweek Magazine, it was the report of a similar nighttime visit by an inebriated Foley to the page dorm sometime in 2002 or 2003 that caused Foley's then Chief of Staff, Kirk Fordham, to alert Speaker Hastert's office to the congressman's inappropriate actions, a warning Hastert's office now says they never received."

Fordham_1Fordham is due to testify before a House Ethics panel today:

"A source familiar with his account of events told CNN that Fordham will say he notified Scott Palmer, Hastert's chief of staff, three or four years ago about a report that Foley had shown up drunk at the dormitory that houses the teenage messengers. CNN was told by two sources familiar with Fordham's account and a third, independent source that Fordham maintains he arranged a meeting between Foley and Palmer about that report and accounts of other behavior Fordham found troubling. In a statement last week, Palmer denied Fordham's account, insisting that 'what Kirk Fordham said did not happen.' He has made no further public comment."

Another page, Richard Nguyen, told The Michigan Daily yesterday that he witnessed Foley "pat a male page's behind" on the House floor, but the page did not report the activities:

"At the time, the then-16-year-old thought it was 'questionable activity,' but he was unsure how to interpret it. 'I wasn't sure if it was a social norm I wasn't accustomed to,' Nguyen said. 'I mean, you see athletes patting each other's asses all the time on the field.'"

Added Nguyen, "We always saw that Mr. Foley was very friendly to male pages. There were signs, for an observer like myself, but I never knew what I know now...If there were people who knew that the pages were being sexually harassed, you have to ask yourself. Are these the right people to be in charge of young people and to be in charge of our country?"

OTHER DEVELOPMENTS

road.jpg Foley reportedly had decided to retire from the House in early 2006 and set up shop as a lobbyist, but was pressured into running again by Karl Rove: "According to the source, Foley said he was being pressured by 'the White House and Rove gang,' who insisted that Foley run. If he didn't, Foley was told, it might impact his lobbying career. 'He said, 'The White House made it very clear I have to run,'' explains Foley's friend, adding that Foley told him that the White House promised that if Foley served for two more years it would 'enhance his success' as a lobbyist. "I said, 'I thought you wanted out of this?' And he said, 'I do, but they're scared of losing the House and the thought of two years of Congressional hearings, so I have two more years of duty.'"

You may ahve missed...
Hastert, Kolbe Continue to Spin Foley Scandal: Republican Leaders Contradict Earlier Statements [tr]
Foley Scandal Continues to Stir Gay Republican Pot [tr]
Mark Foley: The Early Years [tr]
Former Page Jim Kolbe Knew of Mark Foley's Emails in 2000 [tr]
Pat Buchanan on that "Flamer" Foley [tr]
Barney Frank: "Gay GOP Like Secret Jews" [tr]
Hastert Asked "To Intervene" on Foley Three Years Ago [tr]
Mark Foley's Indiscretions Began in '95, as did Cover-Up [tr]
Foley is Gay, Says Attorney; Was Molested by Clergyman as Teenager [tr]
The Talk: Foley, Jon Stewart, Hastert, Bay Buchanan [tr]
Mark Foley Scandal Updates [tr]
Investigations Begin into Cover-up Surrounding Mark Foley: Republican Leaders Knew of Misdeeds for Five Years, Did Nothing [tr]
Political Page Turner: Rep. Mark Foley Resigns Seat Over Inappropriate Emails [tr]
Male Page and Rep Mark Foley in Troubling Email Exchange [tr]

Comments

1. It just keeps getting worse and worse. Thanks for the updates Andy!

Posted by: Kevin | Oct 12, 2006 12:58:29 PM

2. As bad as I actually feel for Rep. Foley, or anyone in his position who lives their life afraid to come out of the closet; I am thrilled that this scandal is getting bigger and bigger. Let it bring down every friggin republican in Congress. And that idiot that lives in the White House too!

Posted by: wtf | Oct 12, 2006 1:34:14 PM

3. Sheesh. How about just making this the Foley blog from now on? Give it a rest already!

Posted by: Shane | Oct 12, 2006 1:59:09 PM

4. Let's not shed too many tears for Kirk Fordham's fortunes. As Mike Rogers wrote of him long before the Foley debacle: "Kirk is an out gay man who, for one reason or another, decided to cast his political fortunes with some of the nation's most well known homophobes. His resume reads like a Who's Who in American Hate with such entries as Senator James Inhofe (R-OK) and [Florida's Mel] Martinez." And, more recently, arch Repug Tom Reynolds.

Despite his history, lesbian power broker Hilary Rosen, who helped her wife Elizabeth Birch transform HRC into nothing more than a mammoth money-sucking machine, totally clueless about how to stop the antigay industry, is bemoaning his fate as a "fall guy." How long was she and Lezzie, I mean, Lizzie, willing to wait for him to stop helping elect and work for his, hers, their, and our enemies? Apparently, forever: "I have been frustrated over the years about the attitude that many gay Republican staffers have had about working for members who vote against the LGBT community's interest, but I truly believe that it is their personal problem. They pay (or not as the case may be) their own internal price of anguish, ambivalence and shame. I have always, however, blamed Members of Congress, not their staffs, for how they voted."

Well, Madame Rosen, this is one gay man who's not ambivalent: fuck you [and not in the good way], your partner, and all of those other overpaid "Trust us; go away. We know better" gay "leaders." I don't blame the Right Wing for acting like the Right Wing, I blame all of you for failing to stop them, while hobnobbing with their deluded gay minions. And, how was the food at your bigger than ever circle jerk in DC Saturday night?

Posted by: Leland | Oct 12, 2006 2:29:36 PM

5. Hey WTF, are you a shill for Hastert's machine? Because they would like nothing more than for this story to diminish and go away. We should be thanking Andy and Jon Stewart and everyone else who is keeping a spotlight on this story. Remember, this is not about the prurient inclinations of a skeevy, closeted hypocrite, it's about cronyism, corruption, and cover-ups.

Posted by: Rascal | Oct 12, 2006 2:47:54 PM

6. Uh Rascal: Do you know how to read? I don't think so, because you seem to have missed my point entirely.

Don't take reading lessons from President Bush!

Posted by: wtf | Oct 12, 2006 4:23:51 PM

7. Aplogies, WTF, my reading was indeed in error - I meant to address Shane, not you.

Posted by: Rascal | Oct 12, 2006 4:43:37 PM

8. Str8 for pay?

Posted by: Anon | Oct 12, 2006 4:54:15 PM

9. Why do we keep hearing so much about Mark Foley's BMW??? It's weird. I mean c'mon, it's only a 3-series.

I guess that's impressive to 16 year-olds.

Posted by: Stevo | Oct 12, 2006 4:55:58 PM

10. Preach it Leland brother!

HRC has put too many of their eggs in the Logo/Viacom basket. They have lost the ability to represent the gay community without taking the Viacom corporate position into account.

When my church (The United Church of Christ) produced a television commercial where they had the audacity to say that we accept ALL of God's children, including gay children, in our Church, the major networks, including Viacom/Logo refused to air it because they considered it to be "too controversial".

When HRC was asked to make a statement on behalf of the Church’s effort, they refused to "get involved". The leaders of the UCC got the message. HRC was not about to directly challenge their buddies over at Viacom.

Is the HRC an organization that can always be counted on to represent gay people's best interests or do they only stand up for us when the issue doesn’t conflict with the corporate interests of Viacom/Logo?

I think it is a damn shame that the HRC has put itself into a conflict of interest situation where they will side with the interests of Viacom over the interests of the people who finance their existence and the people who they claim to exist to protect and promote.

For god’s sake, it took them days to respond to the Foley controversy and ONLY responded to the lynching of gay men in the mainstream media when thousands of us flooded them with complaints. When I first called they acted like it was news to them.

For the record, I was a paying member of the HRC for years. I now give my money to organizations that focus more on issues and less on parties and political posing.

If there’s one thing we don’t need more of in the gay community, it’s POSERS.

Posted by: Zeke | Oct 12, 2006 5:50:25 PM

11. HRC probably gets most of its total cash intake from corporate and govt. grants and so do their bidding.

Posted by: Anon | Oct 12, 2006 8:34:45 PM

12. This whole scandal is a waste of time and my tax dollar. Foley is a pervert. The DNC is bankrupt of ideas so they go after Hastert (no longer about Foley). Both parties disgust me in that they are more concerned in cashing in than doing what is best for us as a whole. Rather than lead they play the game of gotcha. The Dems are doing it now as payback for Clinton. Stop the BASHING.

I say throw out all incumbents and get some new, younger blood in that might actually care to return us to the superpower we once were. Neither party is correct during these scandals.

Posted by: michael | Oct 13, 2006 11:01:40 AM

13. One more thing that is being overlooked is that the "young men" that Foley had relationships with were YOUNG GAY MEN.

The media paints the picture that these pages/interns were “INNOCENT HETEROSEXUAL" young men and need to be protected from the “likes of Mike Foley”.

BUT if the media said that these young men were in fact GAY - I highly doubt that we would be discussing this today.

Foley did not do anything illegal and most likely won't be charged with anything.

BUT his actions are WRONG by any standard of behaviour, gay or straight

Posted by: Pandora | Oct 13, 2006 5:55:50 PM