Art and Design | New York | News

BigGayDeal.com

The New York Post's Homophobic Comic Strip Not So Funny

Post_cartoon

Gawker has been great about calling out cartoonist Sean Delonas on his homophobic comics for the New York Post. The stereotyping pretty much speaks for itself. Tell the Post how you feel at letters@nypost.com or call the paper at 212-930-8000.

Post_cartoon_2

(thanks chris)

Comments

1. Cass-tried

You have an inside? They blocked me like 300 lb linemen.

Posted by: Andrew | Oct 27, 2006 1:30:41 PM

2. Sorry. Someone beat me to it above.
    Heres his weblink instead:

Posted by: cass | Oct 27, 2006 1:30:47 PM

3. Ok

I sent off another round of e-mails from a different e-mail address. I used your version Chris B and added in about contacting their advertisers.

Andrew, did you already call GLAAD?

I was going to foreword a link to this to GLAAD, but if you have already called them then there isn't a need.

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Oct 27, 2006 1:31:00 PM

4. It seems to me that this cartoon is just mocking people who actually equate homosexuality with perversions such as beastiality and pedophilia. It's mocking ignorant homophonbes not homosexuals.

We're gay, we're oppressed, but we won in Jersey, take a break have laugh.

Posted by: Tyler | Oct 27, 2006 1:31:13 PM

5. You're missing the point of the first one. The first cartoon actually lampoons the right, and those who associate homosexuality with beastiality. It is obviously meant to hilight the absurdity of that argument.

That being said, the Foley cartoon is inexcusably, horrifyingly offensive. Can't believe it even got published.

Posted by: michael | Oct 27, 2006 1:35:12 PM

6. Jimmy-there is a need.

Flood those bitches. I want my $50.00 to work.

Posted by: Andrew | Oct 27, 2006 1:35:19 PM

7. You're missing the point of the first one. The first cartoon actually lampoons the right, and those who associate homosexuality with beastiality. It is obviously meant to hilight the absurdity of that argument.

Posted by: michael | Oct 27, 2006 1:36:35 PM

8. Tyler. Clean your contacts and get a cup of coffee. I think you are wrong. The NY post is obviously mocking us.

Anyway; Andrew ignore my last post. I did the GLAAD report at the link Chris B provided. We should flood them to light a fire under their butts.

Get our brothers and sisters moving into action.

PS; due to a lot of my past posts containing curse words........I want to reasure everyone that my e-mails to the NY post have been totaly clean and nice. :-) Its hard, but I have contained my cursing up a storm tendency

:-)

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Oct 27, 2006 1:36:52 PM

9. Tyler, that's a brave attempt -- why you'd make such an attempt, I have no idea -- but there's absolutely nothing whatsoever in that cartoon that indicates the cartoonist meant it as some ironic comment on homophobia. Certainly, given that it's in the Post, one would presume it's just as hateful as it appears to be. Nice try, though.

Posted by: Glenn | Oct 27, 2006 1:37:44 PM

10. 'fire under their butts?'

lets do something they DO NOT WANT.

go after Benefactors/advertisers

Posted by: Andrew | Oct 27, 2006 1:41:03 PM

11. HELLO-INCOMING FROM THE POST

Posted by: Andrew | Oct 27, 2006 1:42:15 PM

12. PS

I just want to give a shout out to Andy for bringing this to our attention.

^5 Andy

A shout out to Tom for the extended e-mail list

and a shout out to Andrew and Chris B for more telephone numbers and contacts.

The internet is amazing. 1 Thread on a blog and BOOM!!!!!!!! Kapow!!!! action>>>> branching off into so many great ways to deal with this.

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Oct 27, 2006 1:42:54 PM

13. Mr. Moyer,

I did in fact see the cartoon this morning and my colleague who covers the Northeast, Mike Lavers, did as well. Although I have not yet spoken with him about it, I know he was on the phone with the Post this morning.

Although you are in South Carolina, this is, of course, a paper covered by our Northeast region. For questions on his follow-up with the Post, you may e-mail Mike. I cc’ed him here.

Alex

Alex Shoor
    Media Field Strategist, South
    Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD)
    248 West 35th Street, 8th Floor
    New York, NY 10001-2505

direct: 646-871-8023
    cell: 646-256-3304
    fax: 212-629-3225
    shoor@glaad.org
    www.glaad.org

The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) is dedicated to promoting and ensuring fair, accurate and inclusive representation of people and events in the media as a means of eliminating homophobia and discrimination based on gender identity and sexual orientation.

Posted by: Andrew | Oct 27, 2006 1:44:45 PM

14. cool? Not sure. Comments?

A

Posted by: Andrew | Oct 27, 2006 1:47:24 PM

15. Cut. Paste. Send. Thanks for making that easier for me... it's a busy day.

Oh and Delonas... man... what a tool.

Posted by: Brian | Oct 27, 2006 1:48:01 PM

16. BTW, my real last name is Smith.

Posted by: Andrew | Oct 27, 2006 1:48:40 PM

17. Hmmm

I am glad that GLAAD responded back to you Andrew.

I like that the North East guy was on the phone this morning with the post.

hmmmmmm

I am thinkign though that we want a lot more than a GLAAD rep simply calling the post.

We all should continue to flood GLAAD about this.

I am also thinking that the guy at GLAAD would be a much better person to contact buisnesses that advertise in the post. It is one thing when you and I in e-mails and telephone calls contact buisnesses threatening boycotts.........a GLAAD rep making such calls would carry more weight with said buisnesses

Should we contact HRC?

Scratch that...I am contacting them anyway.

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Oct 27, 2006 1:55:07 PM

18. btw Jimmy

He 'left' early today too. Bitches are leaving fast.

Posted by: Andrew | Oct 27, 2006 1:56:58 PM

19. after lance and reichen-HRC is off my list.

back to the point, has he been fired yet?

A

Posted by: Andrew | Oct 27, 2006 1:59:30 PM

20. I was with you all until someone advocated calling one Post employee on her cell phone while she's on vacation.

The Post has the right to print what it wants and we all have the right not to buy it.

But don't sink to the level of harassing someone at home/on vacation. Its beneath us and really just as inappropriate as the cartoon.

Posted by: Jason Rich | Oct 27, 2006 2:00:01 PM

21. LOL damn, the friday news dump thing

Even if they aren't leaving the office, they can say they are for an early weekend.

Anway; I sent copies of the cartoons to HRC.

They need to get one of those high priced lawyers our donations pay for to contact a few buisnesses that advertise in the post

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Oct 27, 2006 2:01:41 PM

22. Jason Rich, good point

I retract my suggestion on doing that

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Oct 27, 2006 2:02:56 PM

23. jason-I'm the one who did that. She said call her on that number. she must not ask to be 'bothered' if she is a professional. She put the cartoon up, that made me upset-does she want to hear about it when it makes me unwell? Get out of the business if it bothers you.

Posted by: Andrew | Oct 27, 2006 2:03:58 PM

24. Now that we have the 'Post' here. Call me.

Posted by: Andrew | Oct 27, 2006 2:06:44 PM

25. When I was at GLAAD in 1996-1998, I met with the NY Post along with the Executive Director. Sean Delonas was brought up, and while the Executive Editor seemed a bit put off when we mentioned the sheep (which at that time was a secret "in-joke" at the Post), it didn't faze him that Delonas was doing this regularly. I think a single cartoon after that omitted it, then back to business as usual.

So it's not like GLAAD didn't do anything, it's just that the leadership of the NY Post is a bunch of the Aussie equivalent of frat boys who simply don't care, and won't until their circulation and advertising is hit.

Posted by: Former GLAAD staff | Oct 27, 2006 2:09:48 PM