Alfonso Cuaron | Diego Luna | Gael Garcia Bernal | Gay Marriage | Gay Rights | Mexico City | News

BigGayDeal.com

Gael Garcia Bernal, Diego Luna, Alfonso Cuaron for Gay Unions

Bernal_lunaActors Gael Garcia Bernal and Diego Luna, and director Alfonso Cuaron voiced their public support for Mexico City's legalization of same-sex civil unions in a one-page ad taken out in Mexican newspapers.

Said the celebs: "The vote for the civil-unions law was a vote in favor of liberty, social equality and the strength of civil society."

The new law, which has not surprisingly raised objections from religious and social conservatives, gives gay couples spousal and inheritance rights and allows them to register their relationship with civil authorities. It does not go so far as to label the union a "marriage".

Below, a couple of clips related to the excellent Cuaron-directed 2001 film Y tu Mamá Tambien which stars Bernal and Luna. The film's official trailer and an interview that took place in New York around the time of the film's opening.

You may have missed...
Mexico City Legalizes Same-Sex Civil Unions [tr]

Comments

1. Good. If only other people were more open about their support.

By the way, go see Children of Men (directed by Alfonso Cuaron, not out in the US til the end of December I think). It's fantastic. One of the best films I've ever seen.

Posted by: EireKev | Nov 22, 2006 9:39:44 AM

2. Oy. I thought Y tu mama tambien was terrible. Garcia Bernal is a hottie, though (short, but still hot). A much better film with him in it is Almodovar's "La Mala Educacion"

Posted by: Jeff | Nov 22, 2006 9:50:03 AM

3. I love Bernal and agree with both of the above comments but isn't his new flick Babel very violent??

Posted by: patrick nyc | Nov 22, 2006 1:49:25 PM

4. The English title of the film Jeff refers to is "Bad Education" and I agree with him both in disliking "Y Tu..." and loving "Education." While having some typical Almodovar quirks, it is his best film IMHO of all I've seen and I've seen most of them. Hoping "Volver" is even better.

But TRUST ME, boys and girls: stay as far away from "Babel" as possible, unless you NEED a final reason to push you over the edge into suicide—and not just because Bernal's role is small and repulsive. The director dramatizes one horror after another in three different countries, and fucks with the plot's chronology just because he can. If you think you would enjoy watching two hours and 22 minutes of people being tortured, be my guest.

Posted by: Leland | Nov 22, 2006 2:10:43 PM

5. Gael Garcia Bernal is UBER hot - muy caliente. He's unapologetically his own man - comfortable in his skin. Regardless of sexuality, he is the hottest of the young actor crowd.

Posted by: resurrect | Nov 22, 2006 3:51:27 PM

6. Gael Garcia Bernal is UBER hot - muy caliente. He's unapologetically his own man - comfortable in his skin. Regardless of sexuality, he is the hottest of the young actor crowd.

Posted by: resurrect | Nov 22, 2006 3:52:34 PM

7. What was so bad about 'Y Tu Mamá...'? I thought it was a great film and both actors were excellent in their roles.

Posted by: kyan | Nov 22, 2006 10:50:11 PM

8. Re "Y tu mama tambien," to each his own, I guess. I just find petulant teenagers and films about them tiresome.

Posted by: Jeff | Nov 23, 2006 7:39:33 AM