Anderson Cooper | Pet Shop Boys | Towleroad Guide to the Tube

BigGayDeal.com

Towleroad Guide to the Tube #54

MICHAEL RICHARDS: The outburst and the apology.

PET SHOP BOYS: Dancing with the Stars goes retro with "West End Girls". (source: virtual matter)

ANDERSON COOPER: Sweating like Ryan Seacrest watching "Brokeback Mountain". (source: gawker)

Comments

1. It wasn't that funny.

Posted by: gay is the new straight | Nov 21, 2006 9:23:25 AM

2. While his frustration at being heckled is understandable, anyone who has ever done standup has had to deal with it, and most comedians have a stockpile of material they bring out for just such an occasion. If the crowd likes the performer, they want to see him crush these vocal interlopers with a few perfectly-phrased comments, which helps the comic retain control of the room. Richards did exactly the opposite, went berserk, lost the crowd, and then, realizing it's a lost cause, dropped the mike on the floor and walked off-stage. It's not just racist, it's sad and lame. I've met Michael Richards three or 4 times. He can be very friendly, and he can also be very snotty and aloof.

Posted by: paul | Nov 21, 2006 9:38:55 AM

3. Hey Michael, I heard there's an opening at Sierra Tucson.

Posted by: sam | Nov 21, 2006 9:41:20 AM

4. ..It's funny, right after I saw the news story on TV about this last night, they went to commercial and the first commercial was for Mel Gibson's new movie Apocolypto.

I mean, the irony was the just killing me.

Posted by: Derrick | Nov 21, 2006 9:46:57 AM

5. He could have just as well said, "Like Anderson Cooper watching Brokeback Mountain".

Posted by: Zeke | Nov 21, 2006 9:48:59 AM

6. Maybe they should go back to the Seinfeld episodes and digitally replace Kramer with Chris Rock... an actual comedian no less.

Posted by: mark m | Nov 21, 2006 9:50:08 AM

7. Zeke! You are back with us Bud! Hope you are back up to fighting strength. Did you know that your whereabouts were the subject of speculation on the Towleroad CHAT line? Welcome back to your cyber home.

Posted by: rudy | Nov 21, 2006 9:55:51 AM

8. Derrick, that's a coincidence, sweetpea, not irony. But that's one hell of a "coincidence" and pretty damned funny in a really warped kind of way.

Is it just me or is anyone else sick of stars making incredible blunders, as if they're entitled to publicly losing their shit and then using nationally broadcast media to make half-assed apologies? And then Jerry has to treat the audience like children and shush them and then comes to Richards' rescue? WTF?

"I'm really busted up over this...and I'm really sorry to those people in the audience..."

I don't give a rat's ass "why the trash takes place". Kudos to David for asking what would have been the response to a caucasian. Hell, I'M a caucasian and that outburst was ridiculous. And then Mr. Richards has the audacity (stupidity?) to say "I'm not a racist". Yeah, and OJ didn't do it either, but at least his book deal got yanked.

Bab's still gets first prize for telling a heckler to just STFU (and then gets an awesome dance mix for it!), but that's where it ENDED. An asshole is an asshole, shades of color are irrelevant. Apology accepted? Hrmmmm. That fencepost has quite a few nailholes in it.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Nov 21, 2006 10:05:50 AM

9. Robin Williams cracks me up. While I didn't find the "Comic Relief" show to be that funny (I have to admit I found the Katrina/New Orleans skit to be a bit in bad taste, and I am the first to loosen up at jokes but c'mon), I like that he can at least poke fun at himself as well. The rehab joke was hilarious... and was Anderson Cooper laughing cause it was funny or cause it applies to him???

Posted by: Cory | Nov 21, 2006 10:16:09 AM

10. Anderson probably watched Brokeback Mountain with Ryan.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Nov 21, 2006 10:50:33 AM

11. Nah, Anderson has better taste in men (at least as shown by his coffee buddies in Manhattan) than to date Ryan.

Posted by: rudy | Nov 21, 2006 10:58:55 AM

12. Too bad the clip edited out Cooper licking his lips.

Posted by: Steven. | Nov 21, 2006 11:06:17 AM

13. Fizzie,
    The reason that Seinfeld hushed the crowd was that they did not know that this was a serious matter. They thought it was a comedy routine. I blame Letterman for that. He should have explained to them that it was not a joke. So of course Jerry shushed them. I would have too.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Nov 21, 2006 11:18:06 AM

14. I admire Jerry Seinfeld for sticking by his friend. I'm surprised that someone has criticized him for being loyal and holding his friend's hand while he does something diffficult.

Meanwhile, I'm not sure that this apology should have been issued. He wasn't shitfaced like Mel Gibson. This wasn't a drunken tirade. Being white, he wasn't really apologizing to me, but if he were I would not accept.

He's a total racist and perhaps was under the delusion that the rest of the audience was going to agree with him and think it is funny. He HATES black people and more or less says so. I think he should have canned the apology, owned up to it and done a tour telling racist jokes throughout Alabama, Mississippi and Arkansas.

Posted by: Dan B | Nov 21, 2006 11:26:11 AM

15. It is clear he has used the word before. You do not let something like that go on for so long if you are not comfortable with the word and what stands behind it. I agree he's a racist and his apology, like Gibson's, is just him trying to save a career that ended when Seinfeld was over.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Nov 21, 2006 12:38:50 PM

16. I found the whole idea of Richards' apology a bit ridiculous. I think we all understand why Seinfeld was "shooshing" the audience, but come on...celebrities do this shit so often it IS humor. When Gibson had his drunken little tyrade, I doubt anyone said to their friends, "This isn't funny guys, it's really hard for him." If yet another celebrity thinks he can drop his shit and then expect everyone to take him seriously while he performs his obligatory PR apology, he deserves to be laughed at. It's insulting, yes, but I guess that's what you get for being a fucking racist in front of a crowd of people, ya know?

Posted by: burnssuit | Nov 21, 2006 12:45:28 PM

17. What Richards did looks like a classic PR stunt. Well, he got attention at any rate.

Posted by: Anon | Nov 21, 2006 1:39:21 PM

18. Anderson aside...

I have a straight friend, who when walking out of a pre-release screening of Brokeback Mountain said, "Well, Hack Comedian's will have material for the next year." When does that year end exactly? I guess Robin Williams is worse than a hack, but I'm ready for the BBM jokes to stop already.

Posted by: Pop Muse | Nov 21, 2006 5:27:37 PM

19. I wonder what raced through AC's mind at that very moment?

Posted by: Je | Nov 21, 2006 5:45:44 PM

20. and as far as Kramer goes... i wish people were this upset when Grays Anatomy star Isaiah Washington was screaming Faggot at TR Knighly... What Kramer did was unacceptable and clearly from a place of HATE, but so was Isaiah. Faggot is the new N-Word, learn it.

Posted by: Pop Muse | Nov 21, 2006 5:52:19 PM

21. Pop Muse,
    First of all it was never determined who IW was referring to when he said faggot. It has been assumed that it was TR because he came out shortly thereafter. And granted it was wrong for him to say it.
    But he did not go off on a tirade of slurs and references to gays being killed by lynching. There is no way in hell that you can equate these two incidences, so just stop trying to play that card.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Nov 21, 2006 6:39:58 PM

22. I am so sick and tired of people comparing the n-word and the f-word. They're both wrong OK? We get it!
    But the media has been trying to spin this incident as a debate on the black's vs. white's usage of the n-word and that's bullshit! This is not about WHO can use it; it's about HOW it is being used. This wasn't part of his standup act. He directed the steam of words AGAINST the hecklers in a racial rant.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Nov 21, 2006 6:55:24 PM

23. I remember seeing that clip of Anderson on TV. Anderson's laughter seemed strange and he looked kind of uncomfortable. Thats probably why the other guy told Robin Williams to stop.

Posted by: Ben | Nov 21, 2006 7:14:51 PM

24. wow, that was hard to watch. It seems that Michael Richards has some issues, as do most comedians. Robin Williams, that was lame like most of his movies.

Posted by: Mike | Nov 21, 2006 7:16:34 PM

25. Seinfeld's "Kramer" gets angry at audience, calls Black patrons "Niggers" (2836 views)
    Seinfeld's Michael Richards gets angry at audience, calls Black patrons "Niggers" (2836 views)

Posted by: Michael Richards | Nov 21, 2006 10:33:12 PM