Film | News

BigGayDeal.com

Academy Award Nominations Announced

Oscarnominees

Nominees for the 79th annual Academy Awards were announced this morning. Films nominated for Best Picture are Babel, Letters from Iwo Jima, The Queen, Little Miss Sunshine, The Departed.

Dreamgirls received the most nominations with 8, but was passed over for Best Picture.

Best Picture: "The Departed," "Babel," "Letters From Iwo Jima," "Little Miss Sunshine" and "The Queen."

Best Actor: Forest Whitaker ("The Last King of Scotland"), Leonardo DiCaprio ("Blood Diamond"), Ryan Gosling ("Half Nelson"), Peter O'Toole ("Venus") and Will Smith ("The Pursuit of Happyness").

Best Actress: Helen Mirren ("The Queen"), Judi Dench ("Notes on a Scandal"), Penelope Cruz ("Volver"), Meryl Streep ("The Devil Wears Prada") and Kate Winslet ("Little Children").

Best Supporting Actor: Eddie Murphy ("Dreamgirls"), Alan Arkin ("Little Miss Sunshine"), Jackie Earle Haley ("Little Children"), Djimon Hounsou ("Blood Diamond") and Mark Wahlberg ("The Departed").

Best Supporting Actress: Jennifer Hudson ("Dreamgirls"), Adriana Barraza ("Babel"), Cate Blanchett ("Notes on a Scandal"), Abigail Breslin ("Little Miss Sunshine") and Rinko Kikuchi ("Babel").

Best Director: Martin Scorsese ("The Departed"), Clint Eastwood ("Letters From Iwo Jima"), Stephen Frears ("The Queen"), Paul Greengrass ("United 93") and Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu ("Babel").

Full list of nominees follows AFTER THE JUMP...

Foreign Language Film: "After the Wedding," Denmark; "Days of Glory (Indigenes)," Algeria; "The Lives of Others," Germany; "Pan's Labyrinth," Mexico; "Water," Canada.

Adapted Screenplay: Sacha Baron Cohen and Anthony Hines and Peter Baynham and Dan Mazer and Todd Phillips, "Borat Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan"; Alfonso Cuaron and Timothy J. Sexton and David Arata and Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby, "Children of Men"; William Monahan, "The Departed"; Todd Field and Tom Perrotta, "Little Children"; Patrick Marber, "Notes on a Scandal."

Original Screenplay: Guillermo Arriaga, "Babel"; Iris Yamashita and Paul Haggis, "Letters From Iwo Jima"; Michael Arndt, "Little Miss Sunshine"; Guillermo del Toro, "Pan's Labyrinth"; Peter Morgan, "The Queen."

Animated Feature Film: "Cars," "Happy Feet," "Monster House."

Art Direction: "Dreamgirls," "The Good Shepherd," "Pan's Labyrinth," "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest," "The Prestige."

Cinematography: "The Black Dahlia," "Children of Men," "The Illusionist," "Pan's Labyrinth," "The Prestige."

Sound Mixing: "Apocalypto," "Blood Diamond," "Dreamgirls," "Flags of Our Fathers," "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest."

Sound Editing: "Apocalypto," "Blood Diamond," "Flags of Our Fathers," "Letters From Iwo Jima," "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest."

Original Score: "Babel," Gustavo Santaolalla; "The Good German," Thomas Newman; "Notes on a Scandal," Philip Glass; "Pan's Labyrinth," Javier Navarrete; "The Queen," Alexandre Desplat.

Original Song: "I Need to Wake Up" from "An Inconvenient Truth," Melissa Etheridge; "Listen" from "Dreamgirls," Henry Krieger, Scott Cutler and Anne Preven; "Love You I Do" from "Dreamgirls," Henry Krieger and Siedah Garrett; "Our Town" from "Cars," Randy Newman; "Patience" from "Dreamgirls," Henry Krieger and Willie Reale.

Costume: "Curse of the Golden Flower," "The Devil Wears Prada," "Dreamgirls," "Marie Antoinette," "The Queen."

Documentary Feature: "Deliver Us From Evil," "An Inconvenient Truth," " Iraq in Fragments," "Jesus Camp," "My Country, My Country."

Documentary (short subject): "The Blood of Yingzhou District," "Recycled Life," "Rehearsing a Dream," "Two Hands."

Film Editing: "Babel," "Blood Diamond," "Children of Men," "The Departed," "United 93."

Makeup: "Apocalypto," "Click," "Pan's Labyrinth."

Animated Short Film: "The Danish Poet," "Lifted," "The Little Matchgirl," "Maestro," "No Time for Nuts."

Live Action Short Film: "Binta and the Great Idea (Binta Y La Gran Idea)," "Eramos Pocos (One Too Many)," "Helmer & Son," "The Saviour," " West Bank Story."

Visual Effects: "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest," "Poseidon," "Superman Returns."

Comments

1. Some year I hope to have seen all the nominations. As it stands I've missed a lot. However, I'm not really interested in seeing a bunch of them (Dreamgirls, the Queen, the Devil Wears Prada).

Anyway, my choices:

Little Miss Sunshine for Best Picture
    Forest for Last King
    Kate Winslet for Little Children
    Jackie Earle Haley for Little Children
    Abigail for Little Miss Sunshine
    Paul Greengrass for United 93

As for the others... Achievement in Cinematography for Children of Men (still am in awe at that film)... Best Foreign Language for Pan's Lab...

Posted by: EireKev | Jan 23, 2007 9:13:52 AM

2. I am going to skip the gay super bowl (Academy Awards) this year and probably in the future. Although they were always little more than popularity contest with some notably bad winners over more deserving nominees, last year's open display of homophobia was the final blow. That bigoted fossils such as Earnest Bourgnign (I do not care enough to spell check his name) and Tony Curtis could carry the day for a piece of Scientological trash like "Crash" sealed the deal for me. Yes, I am a Brokeback-aholic but there are perhaps only ten fims in the history of cinema that are in the same league as that sublime work of art. The script, the direction, the actors' performances will continue to be taught in film classes as exemplars of excellence into the future while the 2006 Best Picture winner has already been forgotten. Remember the homophobes who were exposed by their shilling for a lesser work--I am looking at you Oprah--and do not support them with your viewership. Too bad, Ellen DG is probably going to raise the hosting level but it is time to take a stand and vote with my eyes (nice mixed metaphor!), even if I am the only one who knows I am doing so.

Posted by: rudy | Jan 23, 2007 9:20:49 AM

3. I will never quite understand how Will Smith came to be regarded as a successful actor. For me he hasn't moved beyond the Fresh Prince and action movie one-liners.

Posted by: burnssuit | Jan 23, 2007 9:22:58 AM

4. Children of Men was overlooked. Amazing movie...

Posted by: sazam | Jan 23, 2007 9:23:47 AM

5. What a waste. Sure, Dreamgirls was far from a perfect movie, but most of it was better than Little Miss Sunshine. Sorry, it was cute and had some good moments, but I am baffled as to why it's gotten this much love during the award season. Dreamgirls was supposed to be a sure thing, but I guess big audience pleasers don't get nominated for Best Picture anymore... not since those hobbits saved Middle Earth. But kudos on giving Ryan Gosling a nomination! That was awesome and unexpected... At the very least, J. Hud should win her first Oscar®.

Posted by: cre8ivemlq | Jan 23, 2007 9:41:32 AM

6. It's amazing that Ryan Gosling isn't talked about on this blog as much as Jake Gyllenthal and Channing Tatum etc etc. His performance in Half Nelson will easily be the underdog winner this year. It was nothing short of amazing, and hopefully he'll be "cute" enough for gay men to take notice

Posted by: J | Jan 23, 2007 10:14:26 AM

7. I'm having a hard time deciding who to root for Best Actress this year- I saw everything except "Little Children" and thought that Mirren, Dench, Cruz and Streep all turned in outstanding performances. I'm wavering between Helen Mirren and Judi Dench, and right now leaning toward Judi Dench if only because she managed to pull off getting the audience (well me at least) to sympathize and to some extent even identify with a very disturbed character. Although, after what happened with Brokeback last year, Notes on a Scandal leaves me with mixed feelings - excellent acting, but seems to be yet another example of gay/lesbian people as sick people who want to destroy of the wholesome heterosexual family. Or am I overreacting?

Posted by: Ken | Jan 23, 2007 10:16:48 AM

8. J, I'm really looking forward to seeing Half Nelson, but haven't seen it yet. That may be why you haven't heard much on Gosling.

Posted by: andy | Jan 23, 2007 10:35:37 AM

9. If God Herself spoke from a burning bush appearing suddenly on the stage of the Kodak Theatre and declared "Babel" Best Picture it would STILL be a towering piece of crap save for the performance of Adriana Barraza whom I am thrilled to see nominated, though she has no chance of winning in that lineup. But thank St. Judy that Ryan Gosling is finally getting the big time recognition he has so long deserved [for his acting though I, too, could die happily in his uh, arms], and that Forest Whitaker was nominated, both for his magnificent performance and to offset the nom for Hollywood's favorite pig homophobe [now that Mel G. has been taken off of their chanukah card list] Will Smith who, BTW, was never called on using the word "faggot" himself in an interview long ago trying to justify his refusing to actually do the man-man kiss in "Six Degrees of Separation," "I don't want my son's friends at school to be able to say to him, "You're dad's a faggot.'" [Yes, it looked like he did it on screen but it was crafty camera work. And, no, he did NOT apologize for it on Oprah except in terms of insulting his "craft"—not gays.]

The way little minds work, without Whitaker the Academy could have given the award to Smith, not for his performance, but simply to continue their fellating themselves from last year about how liberal they were by giving a good movie about racism with a mostly Black cast the Oscar over the far more daring, creative, earth moving [for some], brilliant Brokeback. Thank you, Rudy, for being one courageous enough to bring it up at the risk of being flamed by all the Sweater Queens. At least I can be thankful that Jake can't be asked to reprise his "Dreamgirls" number in drag, but rather look forward to seeing Melissa Etheridge perform.

Posted by: Leland | Jan 23, 2007 10:53:16 AM

10. Dreamgirls should have been nominated for Best Picture. They were robbed. I'm still looking forward to watching because of the performances. Three of the songs in Dreamgirls were nominated for best song, and they always perform all the songs nominated. I'm already preparing the tissue for when Jennifer Hudson wins.

Posted by: Ed | Jan 23, 2007 10:53:33 AM

11. At the risk of being flamed here, I wanted to weigh in on Dreamgirls. I've seen it, I paid to see the sneak peek here in NY, I love the stage version, love Jennifer Holliday, was excited for the movie. It was indeed a good movie. Does it deserve a best picture nomination? Not in my opinion. While a good film, with good elements (of which they were all nominated), there were major flaws. The through-line, gets interupted because of a disconnect between it being a movie musical or a movie with music. Example: up until Curtis announces that Deena will sing lead, the movie is a naturalistic/realistic movie. As soon as Effie sings "What about what I need?" the movie throws all the rules of it's world out the window and forces the audience to accept new ones. All of a sudden the actors are singing their thoughts and dialogue. This is a disconnect that, whether you realized it or not, affected the movie. Major flaw. One of the flaws that make this, as a complete movie, less than others nominated. Add to this weak performances such as Beyonce (her acting) and needless tinkering with plot and songs, and I just think the film as a FILM, didn't work as well as others.

Now don't get me wrong, there's no way I think The Queen should've been nominated either. It's a nice made-for-tv 97 minute drama with an amazing performance by Helen Mirren, but best picture? No way.

Babel? No way, but it's going to be this year's Crash. Contrived, manufactured support for this film by the producers and studio got it nominated. Same with Sunshine.

As far as making a lasting, definitive film, in my opinion The Departed and Letters from Iwo Jima are the only two that deserve to be there.

Posted by: Joe | Jan 23, 2007 11:28:20 AM

12. "Will Smith who, BTW, was never called on using the word "faggot" himself in an interview long ago trying to justify his refusing to actually do the man-man kiss in "Six Degrees of Separation," "I don't want my son's friends at school to be able to say to him, "You're dad's a faggot.'" [Yes, it looked like he did it on screen but it was crafty camera work. And, no, he did NOT apologize for it on Oprah except in terms of insulting his "craft"—not gays.]"

Oh, come on. Smith didn't call anyone a "faggot." Look, it's ridiculous to suddenly start expecting that everyone whoever referenced the words "faggot" or "nigger" is a terrible person. Keyword is "reference."

Smith didn't use it to harm or hurt anyone. I'm sorry but it's nuts to think that anyone who is discussing bigotry can't use the words in question. Moreover, when did "faggot" become the "F-word"? A week ago? Hello, the "F-word" has traditionally been "fuck."

Smith made "Six Degrees of Separation" when he was in his mid-twenties. To expect him, at that time in American culture, to not have reservation about kissing a man flies in the face of history. Things have CHANGED a lot! Homophobia and racism were sure as hell more acceptable in the 1980s and 1990s than they are now.

Smith was a hip hop recording star, famous for clean songs aimed at kids and teens. What you aren't taking into account is how risky appearing in the film was for his career. Hell, look at how racism was still en vogue in the movies: Remember, Denzel Washington starred with Julia Roberts in "The Pelican Brief" and the book's romance between their characters was cut out of the movie because heaven for bids we wouldn't want to see any interracial loving on the screen? Hell, have you seen Smith with a white love interest in any of his films? No. Why do you think that is?

Posted by: noah | Jan 23, 2007 11:42:59 AM

13. J, I'd actually prefer that Ryan Gosling not get any attention here. I've been completely enamored with him since The Notebook, and I'd hate to see him get turned into the Jake Gyllenhaal circus.

Posted by: chrisb | Jan 23, 2007 11:43:31 AM

14. Noah, You are correct, Will Smith did not denigrate an idividual, he denigrated an entire community--my gay family. His actions are particularly reprehensible to me because it is widely rumored in Hollywood that both he and his wife are "family" but use each other as Scientology beards as do John Travolta and his wife and Tom Cruise and his latest Stepford wife. Yes, times have changed, thankfully and we are all older now than we were in the 80s and 90s but bigotry is bigotry. Your rationale is akin to a former slave owner saying he owned slaves when it was legal. That does not make it morally acceptable in either instance.

Posted by: rudy | Jan 23, 2007 11:51:45 AM

15. Aren't we supposed to be all boycotting the AA after what happened last year?? Isn't a bit hypocritical to express interest in the AA with many calling for IW to quit or be fired?? Time heals all wounds?? I know I'm not watching.

Posted by: Anon | Jan 23, 2007 11:52:40 AM

16. Can someone please explain to me all the fuss over Little Miss Sunshine -- yes, I was entertained but that movie was no more believable than an Isaiah Washington appearance in a gay pride parade.

Posted by: David | Jan 23, 2007 12:05:18 PM

17. Yawwwwnnnn....

Anything else on TV that night?

Posted by: Rad | Jan 23, 2007 12:21:03 PM

18. How long before the inevitable cry of "racism!" from someone, regaring the omission of "Dreamgirls" from the Best Picture nominees? Beyonce's dad Matthew Knowles was interviewed after the Golden Globes and claimed that the reason his daughter lost the Best Actress award to Meryl Streep was because Hollywood is racist. Yeah... I guess that's why Eddie Murphy and Jennifer Hudson won awards that night, as well as Dreamgirls (with its all-black cast) winning Best Comedy/Musical film.

Posted by: Chesnut | Jan 23, 2007 12:37:46 PM

19. All of this crap about Dreamgirls, but not one mention of the fact that Marky Mark has been nominated for an Oscar?? In the same year we've got a former white rapper and an American Idol cast off! Only in America people... only in America! Kudos to Little Miss Sunshine and Helen Mirren too!

Posted by: Wayne | Jan 23, 2007 12:45:30 PM

20. Wayne: So if Jennifer Hudson had WON American Idol, it wouldn't be so bad? ;-)

But I agree -- kinda how I felt about Greg Kinnear getting nominated for As Good As it Gets -- how one goes from 'Talk Soup' to an Oscar nod is beyond me.

Posted by: David | Jan 23, 2007 12:50:00 PM

21. Rudy,

Will and Jada Smith are not Scientologists. Frankly, it's pretty disgusting that you would traffic in Hollywood gossip as if it were gospel. As if anyone in Hollywood wouldn't make up lies to hurt someone against whom they're jealous.

As for a "slave mentality," you are full of it. Get real. People are dynamic, they grow, and change. You're holding onto a grudge against a man who has since gone to produce "Saving Face," a lesbian love story. Yeah, terrible will smith, employed a gay man to be a VP of his production company and worked to get financing for a lesbian love story. Hell, not just a lesbian love story, but a lesbian love story about Chinese Americans. Yeah, I'm sure it was easy to get financing for that.

Posted by: noah | Jan 23, 2007 1:11:45 PM

22. Noah, the Smiths are both Scientologists. Defned the cultists if you will but at least admit the facts. Too bad you have trouble with both logic and reality. Next you will tell me that John Travolta and Tom Cruise do not have sex with men.

Who but you mentioned a "slave mentality" (quotation marks yours)? It is called an analogy you silly little twink.

Posted by: rudy | Jan 23, 2007 1:27:44 PM

23. Lets take a look at this in perspective. Does it really matter. I mean don't we have better things in life than to be dragged into the world of drugs, liars, self applauding, pretentious, self centred film industry world. Do they really care about us. NO! They only care about taking our money and having a good time. It is all about promoting someone, or a movie who needs a boost for their mates income. Lets get over it and tend to the real matters in life.

Posted by: Wayne | Jan 23, 2007 1:33:26 PM

24. "Smith made "Six Degrees of Separation" when he was in his mid-twenties. To expect him, at that time in American culture, to not have reservation about kissing a man flies in the face of history. Things have CHANGED a lot! "
    Posted by: noah |

Indeed. And it's equally absurd to offer blind devotion to actors simply for taking on a gay role on screen. Precisely because times have changed..and we're never previewed to their motivations for taking jobs or refusing it.

And as Wayne pointed out, the Hollywood machinery is all about money (when it comes out to do it). It's not the stage for advancing gay rights, that's what real life is for. So while I'm entertained by the whole thing, I don't take any of their wins personally cause I know it's rarely about me/us.

Posted by: Da | Jan 23, 2007 2:59:01 PM

25. Rudy,

"Silly little twink"? Who the hell are you? You rage against Smith for using "faggot" and then you use "twink" as an epithet! You're a frickin' hypocrite. You're all piss and vinegar with no handle on reality, more concerned with phony grudges and politics.

Talk about a lack of respect for logic, it's also nice to see you skipping over the whole part about Smith producing "Saving Face." Get a grip.

Posted by: noah | Jan 23, 2007 3:00:35 PM