Academy Award Nominations Announced

Foreign Language Film: “After the Wedding,” Denmark; “Days of Glory (Indigenes),” Algeria; “The Lives of Others,” Germany; “Pan’s Labyrinth,” Mexico; “Water,” Canada.

Adapted Screenplay: Sacha Baron Cohen and Anthony Hines and Peter Baynham and Dan Mazer and Todd Phillips, “Borat Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan”; Alfonso Cuaron and Timothy J. Sexton and David Arata and Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby, “Children of Men”; William Monahan, “The Departed”; Todd Field and Tom Perrotta, “Little Children”; Patrick Marber, “Notes on a Scandal.”

Original Screenplay: Guillermo Arriaga, “Babel”; Iris Yamashita and Paul Haggis, “Letters From Iwo Jima”; Michael Arndt, “Little Miss Sunshine”; Guillermo del Toro, “Pan’s Labyrinth”; Peter Morgan, “The Queen.”

Animated Feature Film: “Cars,” “Happy Feet,” “Monster House.”

Art Direction: “Dreamgirls,” “The Good Shepherd,” “Pan’s Labyrinth,” “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest,” “The Prestige.”

Cinematography: “The Black Dahlia,” “Children of Men,” “The Illusionist,” “Pan’s Labyrinth,” “The Prestige.”

Sound Mixing: “Apocalypto,” “Blood Diamond,” “Dreamgirls,” “Flags of Our Fathers,” “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest.”

Sound Editing: “Apocalypto,” “Blood Diamond,” “Flags of Our Fathers,” “Letters From Iwo Jima,” “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest.”

Original Score: “Babel,” Gustavo Santaolalla; “The Good German,” Thomas Newman; “Notes on a Scandal,” Philip Glass; “Pan’s Labyrinth,” Javier Navarrete; “The Queen,” Alexandre Desplat.

Original Song: “I Need to Wake Up” from “An Inconvenient Truth,” Melissa Etheridge; “Listen” from “Dreamgirls,” Henry Krieger, Scott Cutler and Anne Preven; “Love You I Do” from “Dreamgirls,” Henry Krieger and Siedah Garrett; “Our Town” from “Cars,” Randy Newman; “Patience” from “Dreamgirls,” Henry Krieger and Willie Reale.

Costume: “Curse of the Golden Flower,” “The Devil Wears Prada,” “Dreamgirls,” “Marie Antoinette,” “The Queen.”

Documentary Feature: “Deliver Us From Evil,” “An Inconvenient Truth,” ” Iraq in Fragments,” “Jesus Camp,” “My Country, My Country.”

Documentary (short subject): “The Blood of Yingzhou District,” “Recycled Life,” “Rehearsing a Dream,” “Two Hands.”

Film Editing: “Babel,” “Blood Diamond,” “Children of Men,” “The Departed,” “United 93.”

Makeup: “Apocalypto,” “Click,” “Pan’s Labyrinth.”

Animated Short Film: “The Danish Poet,” “Lifted,” “The Little Matchgirl,” “Maestro,” “No Time for Nuts.”

Live Action Short Film: “Binta and the Great Idea (Binta Y La Gran Idea),” “Eramos Pocos (One Too Many),” “Helmer & Son,” “The Saviour,” ” West Bank Story.”

Visual Effects: “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest,” “Poseidon,” “Superman Returns.”

Comments

1. EireKev says

Some year I hope to have seen all the nominations. As it stands I’ve missed a lot. However, I’m not really interested in seeing a bunch of them (Dreamgirls, the Queen, the Devil Wears Prada).

Anyway, my choices:

Little Miss Sunshine for Best Picture
    Forest for Last King
    Kate Winslet for Little Children
    Jackie Earle Haley for Little Children
    Abigail for Little Miss Sunshine
    Paul Greengrass for United 93

As for the others… Achievement in Cinematography for Children of Men (still am in awe at that film)… Best Foreign Language for Pan’s Lab…

2. rudy says

I am going to skip the gay super bowl (Academy Awards) this year and probably in the future. Although they were always little more than popularity contest with some notably bad winners over more deserving nominees, last year’s open display of homophobia was the final blow. That bigoted fossils such as Earnest Bourgnign (I do not care enough to spell check his name) and Tony Curtis could carry the day for a piece of Scientological trash like “Crash” sealed the deal for me. Yes, I am a Brokeback-aholic but there are perhaps only ten fims in the history of cinema that are in the same league as that sublime work of art. The script, the direction, the actors’ performances will continue to be taught in film classes as exemplars of excellence into the future while the 2006 Best Picture winner has already been forgotten. Remember the homophobes who were exposed by their shilling for a lesser work–I am looking at you Oprah–and do not support them with your viewership. Too bad, Ellen DG is probably going to raise the hosting level but it is time to take a stand and vote with my eyes (nice mixed metaphor!), even if I am the only one who knows I am doing so.

3. burnssuit says

I will never quite understand how Will Smith came to be regarded as a successful actor. For me he hasn’t moved beyond the Fresh Prince and action movie one-liners.

4. cre8ivemlq says

What a waste. Sure, Dreamgirls was far from a perfect movie, but most of it was better than Little Miss Sunshine. Sorry, it was cute and had some good moments, but I am baffled as to why it’s gotten this much love during the award season. Dreamgirls was supposed to be a sure thing, but I guess big audience pleasers don’t get nominated for Best Picture anymore… not since those hobbits saved Middle Earth. But kudos on giving Ryan Gosling a nomination! That was awesome and unexpected… At the very least, J. Hud should win her first Oscar®.

5. J says

It’s amazing that Ryan Gosling isn’t talked about on this blog as much as Jake Gyllenthal and Channing Tatum etc etc. His performance in Half Nelson will easily be the underdog winner this year. It was nothing short of amazing, and hopefully he’ll be “cute” enough for gay men to take notice

6. says

I’m having a hard time deciding who to root for Best Actress this year- I saw everything except “Little Children” and thought that Mirren, Dench, Cruz and Streep all turned in outstanding performances. I’m wavering between Helen Mirren and Judi Dench, and right now leaning toward Judi Dench if only because she managed to pull off getting the audience (well me at least) to sympathize and to some extent even identify with a very disturbed character. Although, after what happened with Brokeback last year, Notes on a Scandal leaves me with mixed feelings – excellent acting, but seems to be yet another example of gay/lesbian people as sick people who want to destroy of the wholesome heterosexual family. Or am I overreacting?

7. Leland says

If God Herself spoke from a burning bush appearing suddenly on the stage of the Kodak Theatre and declared “Babel” Best Picture it would STILL be a towering piece of crap save for the performance of Adriana Barraza whom I am thrilled to see nominated, though she has no chance of winning in that lineup. But thank St. Judy that Ryan Gosling is finally getting the big time recognition he has so long deserved [for his acting though I, too, could die happily in his uh, arms], and that Forest Whitaker was nominated, both for his magnificent performance and to offset the nom for Hollywood’s favorite pig homophobe [now that Mel G. has been taken off of their chanukah card list] Will Smith who, BTW, was never called on using the word “faggot” himself in an interview long ago trying to justify his refusing to actually do the man-man kiss in “Six Degrees of Separation,” “I don’t want my son’s friends at school to be able to say to him, “You’re dad’s a faggot.'” [Yes, it looked like he did it on screen but it was crafty camera work. And, no, he did NOT apologize for it on Oprah except in terms of insulting his “craft”—not gays.]

The way little minds work, without Whitaker the Academy could have given the award to Smith, not for his performance, but simply to continue their fellating themselves from last year about how liberal they were by giving a good movie about racism with a mostly Black cast the Oscar over the far more daring, creative, earth moving [for some], brilliant Brokeback. Thank you, Rudy, for being one courageous enough to bring it up at the risk of being flamed by all the Sweater Queens. At least I can be thankful that Jake can’t be asked to reprise his “Dreamgirls” number in drag, but rather look forward to seeing Melissa Etheridge perform.

8. Ed says

Dreamgirls should have been nominated for Best Picture. They were robbed. I’m still looking forward to watching because of the performances. Three of the songs in Dreamgirls were nominated for best song, and they always perform all the songs nominated. I’m already preparing the tissue for when Jennifer Hudson wins.

9. Joe says

At the risk of being flamed here, I wanted to weigh in on Dreamgirls. I’ve seen it, I paid to see the sneak peek here in NY, I love the stage version, love Jennifer Holliday, was excited for the movie. It was indeed a good movie. Does it deserve a best picture nomination? Not in my opinion. While a good film, with good elements (of which they were all nominated), there were major flaws. The through-line, gets interupted because of a disconnect between it being a movie musical or a movie with music. Example: up until Curtis announces that Deena will sing lead, the movie is a naturalistic/realistic movie. As soon as Effie sings “What about what I need?” the movie throws all the rules of it’s world out the window and forces the audience to accept new ones. All of a sudden the actors are singing their thoughts and dialogue. This is a disconnect that, whether you realized it or not, affected the movie. Major flaw. One of the flaws that make this, as a complete movie, less than others nominated. Add to this weak performances such as Beyonce (her acting) and needless tinkering with plot and songs, and I just think the film as a FILM, didn’t work as well as others.

Now don’t get me wrong, there’s no way I think The Queen should’ve been nominated either. It’s a nice made-for-tv 97 minute drama with an amazing performance by Helen Mirren, but best picture? No way.

Babel? No way, but it’s going to be this year’s Crash. Contrived, manufactured support for this film by the producers and studio got it nominated. Same with Sunshine.

As far as making a lasting, definitive film, in my opinion The Departed and Letters from Iwo Jima are the only two that deserve to be there.

10. noah says

“Will Smith who, BTW, was never called on using the word “faggot” himself in an interview long ago trying to justify his refusing to actually do the man-man kiss in “Six Degrees of Separation,” “I don’t want my son’s friends at school to be able to say to him, “You’re dad’s a faggot.'” [Yes, it looked like he did it on screen but it was crafty camera work. And, no, he did NOT apologize for it on Oprah except in terms of insulting his “craft”—not gays.]”

Oh, come on. Smith didn’t call anyone a “faggot.” Look, it’s ridiculous to suddenly start expecting that everyone whoever referenced the words “faggot” or “nigger” is a terrible person. Keyword is “reference.”

Smith didn’t use it to harm or hurt anyone. I’m sorry but it’s nuts to think that anyone who is discussing bigotry can’t use the words in question. Moreover, when did “faggot” become the “F-word”? A week ago? Hello, the “F-word” has traditionally been “fuck.”

Smith made “Six Degrees of Separation” when he was in his mid-twenties. To expect him, at that time in American culture, to not have reservation about kissing a man flies in the face of history. Things have CHANGED a lot! Homophobia and racism were sure as hell more acceptable in the 1980s and 1990s than they are now.

Smith was a hip hop recording star, famous for clean songs aimed at kids and teens. What you aren’t taking into account is how risky appearing in the film was for his career. Hell, look at how racism was still en vogue in the movies: Remember, Denzel Washington starred with Julia Roberts in “The Pelican Brief” and the book’s romance between their characters was cut out of the movie because heaven for bids we wouldn’t want to see any interracial loving on the screen? Hell, have you seen Smith with a white love interest in any of his films? No. Why do you think that is?

11. says

J, I’d actually prefer that Ryan Gosling not get any attention here. I’ve been completely enamored with him since The Notebook, and I’d hate to see him get turned into the Jake Gyllenhaal circus.

12. rudy says

Noah, You are correct, Will Smith did not denigrate an idividual, he denigrated an entire community–my gay family. His actions are particularly reprehensible to me because it is widely rumored in Hollywood that both he and his wife are “family” but use each other as Scientology beards as do John Travolta and his wife and Tom Cruise and his latest Stepford wife. Yes, times have changed, thankfully and we are all older now than we were in the 80s and 90s but bigotry is bigotry. Your rationale is akin to a former slave owner saying he owned slaves when it was legal. That does not make it morally acceptable in either instance.

13. Anon says

Aren’t we supposed to be all boycotting the AA after what happened last year?? Isn’t a bit hypocritical to express interest in the AA with many calling for IW to quit or be fired?? Time heals all wounds?? I know I’m not watching.

14. David says

Can someone please explain to me all the fuss over Little Miss Sunshine — yes, I was entertained but that movie was no more believable than an Isaiah Washington appearance in a gay pride parade.

15. says

How long before the inevitable cry of “racism!” from someone, regaring the omission of “Dreamgirls” from the Best Picture nominees? Beyonce’s dad Matthew Knowles was interviewed after the Golden Globes and claimed that the reason his daughter lost the Best Actress award to Meryl Streep was because Hollywood is racist. Yeah… I guess that’s why Eddie Murphy and Jennifer Hudson won awards that night, as well as Dreamgirls (with its all-black cast) winning Best Comedy/Musical film.

16. Wayne says

All of this crap about Dreamgirls, but not one mention of the fact that Marky Mark has been nominated for an Oscar?? In the same year we’ve got a former white rapper and an American Idol cast off! Only in America people… only in America! Kudos to Little Miss Sunshine and Helen Mirren too!

17. David says

Wayne: So if Jennifer Hudson had WON American Idol, it wouldn’t be so bad? 😉

But I agree — kinda how I felt about Greg Kinnear getting nominated for As Good As it Gets — how one goes from ‘Talk Soup’ to an Oscar nod is beyond me.

18. noah says

Rudy,

Will and Jada Smith are not Scientologists. Frankly, it’s pretty disgusting that you would traffic in Hollywood gossip as if it were gospel. As if anyone in Hollywood wouldn’t make up lies to hurt someone against whom they’re jealous.

As for a “slave mentality,” you are full of it. Get real. People are dynamic, they grow, and change. You’re holding onto a grudge against a man who has since gone to produce “Saving Face,” a lesbian love story. Yeah, terrible will smith, employed a gay man to be a VP of his production company and worked to get financing for a lesbian love story. Hell, not just a lesbian love story, but a lesbian love story about Chinese Americans. Yeah, I’m sure it was easy to get financing for that.

19. rudy says

Noah, the Smiths are both Scientologists. Defned the cultists if you will but at least admit the facts. Too bad you have trouble with both logic and reality. Next you will tell me that John Travolta and Tom Cruise do not have sex with men.

Who but you mentioned a “slave mentality” (quotation marks yours)? It is called an analogy you silly little twink.

20. Wayne says

Lets take a look at this in perspective. Does it really matter. I mean don’t we have better things in life than to be dragged into the world of drugs, liars, self applauding, pretentious, self centred film industry world. Do they really care about us. NO! They only care about taking our money and having a good time. It is all about promoting someone, or a movie who needs a boost for their mates income. Lets get over it and tend to the real matters in life.

21. Da says

“Smith made “Six Degrees of Separation” when he was in his mid-twenties. To expect him, at that time in American culture, to not have reservation about kissing a man flies in the face of history. Things have CHANGED a lot! ”
    Posted by: noah |

Indeed. And it’s equally absurd to offer blind devotion to actors simply for taking on a gay role on screen. Precisely because times have changed..and we’re never previewed to their motivations for taking jobs or refusing it.

And as Wayne pointed out, the Hollywood machinery is all about money (when it comes out to do it). It’s not the stage for advancing gay rights, that’s what real life is for. So while I’m entertained by the whole thing, I don’t take any of their wins personally cause I know it’s rarely about me/us.

22. noah says

Rudy,

“Silly little twink”? Who the hell are you? You rage against Smith for using “faggot” and then you use “twink” as an epithet! You’re a frickin’ hypocrite. You’re all piss and vinegar with no handle on reality, more concerned with phony grudges and politics.

Talk about a lack of respect for logic, it’s also nice to see you skipping over the whole part about Smith producing “Saving Face.” Get a grip.

23. peterparker says

OMG…there IS someone else who thought ‘The Queen’ was little more than a made-for-tv-movie masquerading as a genuine cinematic event! I thought it was an absolutely mediocre effort promoted as though it was somehow groundbreaking. Of course, that means that, in the grand tradition of ‘Rocky’, ‘Titanic’, ‘The Lord of The Rings: The Return of The King’, and, of course, ‘Crash’ a mediocre film like ‘The Queen’ will most likely win ‘Best Picture’ over more deserving works. I’ll skip the Academy Awards and take my dog for a long walk that evening.

24. yo mo says

Last yeat they wouldn’t give the Oscar to the fag movie, and this year the Academy has shown how racist they really are by not even nominating Dreamgirls for best picture. It is truly disgusting!

25. rudy says

26. noah says

“Noah, Okay, you got me. I fell for your pose. I only just realized that you are a thirteen year old girl trolling the gay site for grins. Unfortunately for you, you offer nothing on which I would want to get a grip; neither in your guise as a gay twink nor in reality as a prepubescent girl.”

Again with your hypocrisy, first a condescending homophobic eptithet, now you’re using sexist imagery! I’m sure that many women would find your use of a “girl” as a negative connotation highly offensive.

Damned if you aren’t the most pathetic cretin. Piss, vinegar, hypocrisy, ignorance, and sexism rolled into one mushy, ascerbic, smelly jerk.

27. Marco says

I haven’t seen Dreamgirls yet as I am that one in a million type of homo who cannot stand musicals, but most of the folks who have seen it are pretty evenly split between loving it and “eh” so I am not surprised it didn’t get a nomination.

Once again, I am way behind in seeing the nominated films and performances, but I am glad Forrest Whitaker is the front runner for Best Actor as I think he’s amazing. Mirren is lock for Best Actress as are Eddie Murphy and Jennifer Hudson for their roles in dreamgirls.

I’d love th Academy to toss a curveball at us with a surprise win again, but I doubt that’s gonna happen. And now, Crash winning last year shouldn’t have come as a surprise to anyone. It was about LA residents and got a self-righteous pat on the back by an Academy of Angelinos. Real shocker.

28. KaNeeQwah says

Dreamgirls was OK, but I am glad it didn’t get a BEST PICTURE Nomination. The Academy got it right by nominating J.Hud and E. Murphy. Both definately stood out from the rest of the cast.

This year will be quite interesting….can’t wait to see who wins!

29. noah says

“Sputter, sputter little twink. Now just leave cyberspace to the grownups. It is time for a Fresh Prince rerun so run along.

Posted by: rudy | Jan 23, 2007 4:10:20 P”

Again, you are such a two-faced hypocrite. As for your caring about your “gay family,” do us all a favor and divorce us. With a relative like you, who needs enemies.

30. Martin says

The Academy ALWAYS leaves off worthy films. Sure, it’s fine to get a bit miffed, but then get over it. The best movies of the year, in my opinion: Children of Men, United 93, and Half Nelson. I knew they wouldn’t get best pic noms, but it’s good to see they got some recognition, especially Ryan Gosling. As for Dreamgirls getting snubbed….So what? That movie is not more deserving than any of the ones that did make the cut, if you ask me. I just hope there are some Oscar night surprises. The acting categories look like a foregone conclusion–Whitaker, Mirren, Murphy, Hudson.

31. rudy says

“[T]wo-faced hypocrite” My,my such big redundant words from the littlest dysfunctional member of our family. And trotting out that additional old trope just for good measure. How endearing! Walk out any time Noah. I have already suggested that you run along. Your adolescent crush awaits on a stirring episode of Fresh Prince.

32. mark says

OK, me comment now…

First of all, lets say, hypothecially speaking of course, a guy named Noah or maybe a Rudy (again, hypothecitcally) suddenly went way off tangent in the comments section, ie, name calling, bitter crapola ballistic on each other, then isn’t it the intention of your own personal email address in the “Posted By” section to be used to ‘take it off-line’?

I’m just asking, hypothetically.

Also, Dreamgirls mediocre. Beyonce, more so.

Little Miss Sunshine is the As Good As It Gets of this year. Good. But, Made for Televsion, Released by Accident.

I’m just saying. But who cares about my opinion on that…

33. Marco says

I agree with Martin. I think only twice over the last 15 years or so, I’ve agreed with the Academy’s choice of Best Picture as the best film I saw that year. Those 2 being Million Dollar Baby and The Silence of the Lambs.
    Here are some recent “Best Picture” winners.

Shakespeare in Love – eh, no
    Chicago – please
    Braveheart – blow me
    Titanic – are you high?
    Crash – snore.
    Forrest Gump – you need to be hit.

34. says

Dreamgirls looked stupid, and I didnt really care for Jennifer Hudson’s “I’m Telling You” or whatever it’s called. But then, I don’t care for many songs. But I’m paying no attention to the Oscars this year or the next. Brokeback Mountain was robbed and that’s not cool. Wow, you guys must have not been as disappointed.

35. David in iowa says

Only seen a few flicks so far this year, new job is taking up lots of former free time. Glad the E Murphy got a nom but…without ant serious competition from Brad or Ben, the guess work is gone. Ms Hudson seems to be on track, but that doesn’t mean a career boot, remember Marisa Tomei? told ya……… Helen has it for the Queen, but Merly stole the show at the GG’s, What a hoot. Also bummed that Matt D missed out for a nom for the Good Shepard. Very good film, and my excitement level is way down from last year,,,,,,,,hmm, wonder why. And one more I LOVE this blog, it is the 1st one I check every nite, sorry can’t cruise the net at work.
    smoochies and love

36. Ameba says

I was extremely happy to see that a lot of Hispanic and in particular Mexican artists were nominated… Alejandro Gonzalez Iñarritu director and producer of ‘Babel’, Guillermo Arriaga who wrote ‘Babel’, Guillermo Del Toro for writing and directing ‘Pan’s Labyrinth’, Alfonso and Carlos Cuaron for directing and writing ‘Children of Men’, and Penelope Cruz for her performance in ‘Volver’… and many more in other categories.

37. Joshua says

So far, of the movies I’ve had a chance to see this year…..Letters from Iwo jema is by far the best thing going….a really great film. I want to see the Dench movie….she is usually top form in her movies….I think it’s between her and Mirren.
    I would like to see Mark Walburg win, he does a very good job. Ryan should win, but he most likely won’t…..I look for an O’Toole win….the nostalgia vote.

Eastwood or Scorsase will get best director….both films are just outstanding. But I was actually disappointed that Gibson wasn’t nominated for Apocalypto, the film is awesome, and nut job or not, the guy can direct.

And it would be nice if you girls could learn to be nice and play well with others.

38. loki says

I can honestly say at first i was surprised. I saw dreamgirls twice and thought it would be nominated. But it wasn’t, as i thought about it i figured out why. Like someone said, after J.Hud sang “I’m not Leaving”, the story got off track. It went from a DreamGirls story to a Beyonce and the Dreamgirls story. The biggest surprise for me was the snub of Children of Men and Flags of Our Fathers which were good movies. I’m so glad about The Departed. I loved the movie(which is a remake of a Chinese film which one the Chinese equivalent of an oscar called “Infernal Affairs”). I’m not watching the whole thing, but i’m rooting for M. Streep(i really liked DWP), J.Hud, E.Murphy, The Departed, and R.Gosling.

39. Martin says

Don’t forget Gladiator, Mark. Crash may the worst in ages though. I could have stomached Brokeback’s loss if it had lost to a good movie. And, hey, I actually loved Shakespeare in Love! Bit I agree with you about the others.

40. says

If Helen Mirren doesn’t win Best Actress for her insanely poignant turn as Queen Elizabeth II, I don’t think I’ll ever watch the awards again. Also, I’m TOTALLY glad Beyonce wasn’t nominated for that amateur-night bore ‘Dreamgirls’.

41. the yankee says

Why is it that every time something doesn’t go the way of a particular race or sexual preference everyone cries boycott? Open your closed little minds.

Dreamgirls wasn’t nominated for best picture because it was boring and there were alot of others that were much better acted.