Crime | Houston | News

A Mother's Fears as Gay-Bashing Killers Prepare for Parole

Jaime and Javier Aguirre, two of ten men who brutally murdered Paul Broussard outside a Houston-area nightclub in 1991, are due to be released on parole in days, and the victim's mother says she fears for her family. She has asked authorities for current photos of the inmates.

311xinlinegalleryThe "Woodlands 10" as the gang came to be known, murdered Broussard after being turned away from a Montrose nightclub. Said Broussard's mother Nancy Rodriguez: "You should see the autopsy report. They just didn't stab my son, they gutted him."

Gay prison activist Ray Hill (there's a profile on Hill here. Scroll down), a man the Houston Chronicle says once "agitated for the killers' arrests and convictions", has since become friends with them, says they have changed in prison, are not homophobic, and is lobbying against their scheduled deportation to Mexico, where they are from.

Said Hill: "What we have is a bunch of teenagers, drunk and stoned — chemicals played a major role in this — who came to Houston from The Woodlands...The whole theory of homophobic murder was a convenient way to get media attention. I created that illusion myself, but it probably was not true. ... I know all of the boys, though, and none of them are homophobic."

Probably not much comfort to a mother who lost her son. A third member of the Woodlands 10, Leandro Ramirez, is set for release in March.

Comments

1. I was out in Houston the same night at the same time as Broussard. So were many of my friends. It could have been any one of us. They should be deported. Period.

Screw them.

Posted by: Anon1 | Jan 5, 2007 11:02:27 AM

2. It breaks my heart that the murder occured in 91 and they're already getting out.

A good friend of mine, Joel Larson, was murdered in 1991 in Minneapolis by a man named Jay Johnson. He is serving two life sentences most probably because about a month later he then killed a (gay) former state senator and was caught.

Joel's murder (and Senator Chenoweth's) was included in the documentary "Licensed to Kill" and is especially tragic in that their murderer was a closeted, self-hating gay man raised in an ultra-religious family. He is now living as an openly gay man in prison.

Posted by: Rey | Jan 5, 2007 11:06:28 AM

3. They killed a man and were found guilty in court. It's very simple - lock them up and throw away the key. Let them rot in jail for life. Problem solved.

Posted by: Big Dave | Jan 5, 2007 11:10:12 AM

4. If you want to learn more about Ray Hill and the Woodlands 10 (and you're not on a Mac)-- check out this excellent 2 part profile piece from a recent LOGO special.

Scroll down to "Full Episode" Parts 4 & 5.

Posted by: Mark | Jan 5, 2007 11:18:41 AM

5. Isnt it comforting to know that if an 18 year old stranger walks up to you ... and guts you ... kills you ... leaves you dead bleeding on the street ... they can be out partying on the streets again by the time they are 34 ... fully grown thugs who have known nothing of adult life but murder and prison.

Murder should mean life.

Posted by: RJP3 | Jan 5, 2007 11:41:35 AM

6. Who the hell is this Ray Hill?

Drugs and alcohol may be a facilitator or catalyst, but the drugs and alcohol itself didn't turn these men into murderers. They already had to have the potential within themselves beforehand.

Hill says he used "homophobic murder" as an illusion?! Then why should we believe anything he has to say now? Moreover, he indicates unsureness even now whether what he called illusion was in fact real or not.

So these men who gutted a gay man get to go free, with the help of a lobbying gay prison activist no less... disgusting.

Posted by: David M | Jan 5, 2007 12:10:03 PM

7. I know Jaime and Javier. They are not homophobic or a danger to anyone. One of them is even gay himself. Their role in Paul's death was periferial anyway. Try not to be about revenge. "An eye for an eye will eventually leave us all blind" Gandhi.

Love,

Ray

Posted by: Ray Hill | Jan 5, 2007 12:32:54 PM

8. Mercy! This is just like my early days as a gay activist (1966). I am the only one here with a real name. I guess we have not come so far afterall. Check out my vita sheet on theprisonshow.org Match it, if you can.

Posted by: Ray Hill | Jan 5, 2007 12:46:39 PM

9. "Periferial"? Is that a new word I am not aware of?

Posted by: jmg | Jan 5, 2007 1:04:06 PM

10. It should either be:
    A Mother's Fear as Gay-Bashing Killers Prepare for Parole

OR

A Mother Fears as Gay-Bashing Killers Prepare for Parole

Posted by: Ryan K | Jan 5, 2007 1:04:37 PM

11. "I know Jaime and Javier. They are not homophobic or a danger to anyone."

Okay, Ray, perhaps they are not homophobic. But precisely how many people would someone have to kill before you'd consider him/her "a danger"?

They murdered a man. Gay or straight is irrelevant. They ARE dangerous and have proven it.

Or aren't you familiar with the term "recidivism rate"?

Deport them or lock them up. But by all means keep them from enjoying that which they've taken from another: life.

Posted by: Damon | Jan 5, 2007 1:15:35 PM

12. @ Ray:

It sounds to me as if you've developed at Capote-esque infatuation with the killers.

It's funny (weird) that you know one of them is gay. How would you know something like that? Have you slept with them? Regardless of their peripheral role in the murder they deserve to remain where they are because of what they've done. Who's to say they aren't putting on an act and are preparing to kill you as soon as they get out?

This sure seems like a conflict of interest to me. I absolutely agree with the other posters that these men should be kept locked up or deported immediately to the far reaches of southern Mexico.

@ Damon:

Your last sentence is perfect.

Posted by: Tread | Jan 5, 2007 1:40:53 PM

13. Wow, Ray, convicted murders who deny the tenor of the law with which they were convicted. How unusual. Then of course, we should forgive them, right? Because they are telliing the truth.

Oh, and knowing my real name wouldn't strengthen your argument, nor would it weaken mine.

Posted by: Anon1 | Jan 5, 2007 1:47:35 PM

14. "scheduled deportation" Well, These MURDEROUS THUGS are ILLEGAL ALIENS!!! A point that Andy seems to pass on by rather nonchalantly...

Support closing the border, building a fence and send the Guard to secure it and maybe we can curb some of theses pigs from "Living the American Dream" which obviously includes gutting American citizens like catfish and getting to spend the next 10 years in a cushy American prison. There are only two options: Death Penalty or Deportation! (put them down or let them spend life in a Mexican Jail)

But Wait, aren't the libs always saying it would be "RACIST" to close the border, that we have to be kind and gentle to our poor neighbors to the south. And of course the death penalty is also off the table, as God Forbid we enforce American Laws! Libs NO BORDERS Utopia is the problem! Sanctuary cities like SF are partially to blame for this too!

It’s amazing how democrat principles can bite you in the ass... or in this case slit your throat!

Posted by: mark | Jan 5, 2007 2:22:36 PM

15. @ Mark:

It's "'democrat-IC' principles", moron.

And yes, it's not only racist, but a complete waste of time to build a wall fencing off Mexico. Should we build a wall to the north, too? Or are you apprehensive to do that because the Canadians look and speak (for the most part) like us?

"Put them down..." Jesus, you are a cruel son of a bitch.

Posted by: Tread | Jan 5, 2007 2:47:34 PM

16. Ray,
    I don't know the ins and outs of this case since as we all know meida coverage is almost always abbreviated and biased. But as intimate as you have been with the whole thing, I find it surprising that you aren't supplying us with more facts to support your argument and possibly sway our opinion or at least give us pause.
    Forgiveness is a personal decision to be made by the mother of the victim. Not you, not me, not the judge, not society. His incarceration is the consequence of his actions. He took a life, he must pay the price. And just because you think that it is unfair/unjust, that should bear no weight in the matter unless you have proof to substantiate your view. And thus far, you have not provided any.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Jan 5, 2007 2:47:38 PM

17. Ray, I find your toying and teasing to be abhorrent with regard to this story.

It is not up to you, as a gay man or as an activist, or as somebody who was instrumental in putting away these murderous thugs.

How wonderfully poetic would it be for them to be deported to Mexico and turn up gutted and murdered in the Zona Rosa the next day?

A boy can dream...

Posted by: Rey | Jan 5, 2007 2:51:42 PM

18. NO Tread... it "Democrat" as in the Democrat Party... not democratic which is a verb. Although i understand the words are used interchangeably in today’s society. You say tomato i say tomato... blah blah blah...

YES, we should or could build a wall to the North, although research shows that most of the illegal CRIMINALS & MURDERERS you are so heartily defending are coming from the Southern border...BTW: It’s technically called "Human Trafficking" You blindly support “illegal immigration” but are two ill-informed to realize that by doing so, you keep MS-13 and countless cartels in business smuggling drugs/women/ and “workers” across the border.

And YES, PUT THEM DOWN! you are sooo blinded by your liberal agenda you don't see past your own hypocrisy! You can't see past the fact that you are DEFENDING A MURDERER!!! just because you perceive me to be a threat because God forbid i am more conservative then you...

The Truth is Paul Broussard would still be alive today if our Immigration laws had been properly enforced!

You can't have it both ways Tread... decisions have to be made and lines have to be drawn... Continued to support your liberal "no borders/multi-cultural world view" and things like this will continue to happen!

IT MAY BE CRUEL...BUT IT’S THE TRUTH!

Posted by: mark | Jan 5, 2007 3:42:08 PM

19. I came out at age 18 in 1959, in rural Texas. Most of you on this group were not even born then. I have remained out since and have seen how the world thought about queers then and see how we are considered today. I did not do the work of that change all by myself but I was in the rooms where that change was discussed and planned. If you take the time to read my vita sheet, you will see I did my part. I have had seven wonderful men in my life: four died of AIDS and two were murdered (It is all there in the vita sheet) I have lost hundreds of friends to AIDS and have known scores of gay men, lesbians and transgender friends who were murdered. When I lived in New Orleans in the early 1960's several of us set a little money aside each pay day to help bury someone we knew who was killed or committed suicide.
    When the Houston Police detectives told me the Paul Broussard case would not be solved and the assailants never identified, I had heard that too many times to accept it so I proved HPD wrong by taking matters into my own hands and hunting those responsible down and seeing them prosecuted. In Houston there is no question about how this case was solved. If you are responsible for sending 17 year old boys to prison for much of their lives, you have the further responsibility to get to know them and help them in their rehabilitation. I did that and make no apologies for that. I have always had the hope that glbt people when we secure our equality could contribute to a better world by healing the hate and prejudice we found here as outsiders of the mainstream. I guess none of you understand the pain I feel to hear hate, revenge, bitterness and an unforgiving nature in the posts above. Maybe there is no hope of a better world after all and I have spent the last 40 years struggling toward an impossible dream. Must life always be so ugly? is there no reason to hope?
    Love,
    Ray

Posted by: Ray Hill | Jan 5, 2007 3:50:02 PM

20. Sorry, Ray - although I appreciate your strength in being an out and proud gay man for many many years, you don't get a pass on this.

Perhaps you are simply haunted by the role you played in getting these men convicted, but you cannot condemn anybody here who does not want to see CONVICTED MURDERERS released after several short years. (Could the fact that their victim was gay have played into the relatively short sentence for MURDER? Do you not see injustice here?)

I too have had more than my share of lost friends due to murder, AIDS, or other factors loosely tied to their being gay and how our society accepts (or does not) homosexuality and I refuse to lighten up. I refuse to not remain angry and I refuse to let somebody who has a few years on me try to shame or guilt me into accepting his "vision" solely because he says I should.

Perhaps you've gone soft. I've been there. There have been many times where I've just wanted to give up as an activist, or simply as a caring person. But when one strikes down one of my gay or lesbian brothers or sisters, I will not EVER back down. Call it revenge if you will, however I know that it is much richer than that. It is about justice and it is about shouting from the rooftops, "No, you cannot kill us. You cannot get rid of us. Try as you might, we will always be here and we will always be queer. So get fuc

Posted by: Rey | Jan 5, 2007 3:58:14 PM

21. @ Mark:

It's the "Democratic Party". Blinded by my liberal agenda? Defending a murderer? How, by advocating that he stay in prison to not cause more damage? Typing your statements in all caps to make your point? You must be a Little Green Snotball or Freeper. You seriously need to get on some meds for your paranoia and stop hijacking this post.

@ Rey:

I don't think it has anything to do with his "going soft". I truly believe he has developed an infatuation with these killers, ala, Truman Capote.

@ Ray:

Like someone said above, it is not your job to dole out forgiveness for these cretins. You do not get to forgive them and everything will be okay. Broussard's mother is absolutely fearful that these men will come after her. They deserve to stay where they are so they can't go out into the world and do more damage.

And what does it say of your convictions that you turn your back on the brutal murder of Broussard and claim these men are "not homophobic or danger to anyone"? They've already proved they are.

Posted by: Tread | Jan 5, 2007 4:17:48 PM

22. Yes TREAD! You are blinded by your Liberal Agenda! Notice you make no comments about the actual context of my comments, but rather just throw ad hominem attacks at me...that's because: THE TRUTH HURTS!

Enforcement of our immigration laws, Respect for nations' sovereignty and rule of law is the only things that could have saved Paul Broussard. But you'd rather call me names then address the real issue. And that is because you see the transparencies in your own argument and your poor little "world view" in crumbling around you... NO THREAD, WE CAN’T ALL JUST GET ALONG! The world doesn’t work that way... never has, never will! Close the border! Enforce Immigration!

Posted by: mark | Jan 5, 2007 4:46:06 PM

23. What bollocks.

As if murderers are only born in Mexico...

Anti-immigrant laws may have helped in _this_ case, but to try to use something like this to support a reactionary mean-spirited agenda is just idiotic.

Posted by: Rey | Jan 5, 2007 4:54:16 PM

24. Sorry, "Mark," Broussard's death was caused by a knife wound from a young white man from Houston, a U.S. citizen. Your fence wouldn't have prevented it.

Posted by: anon2 | Jan 5, 2007 4:57:52 PM

25. Mark

Although I agree with expelling illegal immigrants and enforcing tougher illegal immigrant laws, I'm not orthodox enough to miss your own ad hominem attacks. Your under the impression that it's a liberal ideology that keeps a person from agreeing with you. Have you not read anything from the Libertarians and Objectivists. Their even more passionately pro-open borders.

Posted by: Damon2 | Jan 5, 2007 5:10:15 PM