Nancy Pelosi Zings Bush on Iraq War Strategy

Yesterday, CBS news reported that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said she wasn’t consulted by President Bush before he announced his new Iraq war strategy

Pelosibush

“In an interview, Pelosi also said she was puzzled by what she considered the president’s minimalist explanation for his confidence in the new surge of 21,500 U.S. troops that he has presented as the crux of a new ‘way forward’ for U.S. forces in Iraq.

‘He’s tried this two times — it’s failed twice,’ the California Democrat said. ‘I asked him at the White House, ‘Mr. President, why do you think this time it’s going to work?’ And he said, ‘Because I told them it had to.’

Asked if the president had elaborated, she added that he simply said, ” ‘I told them that they had to.’ That was the end of it. That’s the way it is.'”

However, John Aravosis at AmericaBlog says there is more to the exchange than that. When he was on the Hill on Tuesday, Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-FL) told him that the exchange regarding the addition of more American troops really went like this:

PELOSI: He’s tried this two times — it’s failed twice. I asked him at the White House, ‘Mr. President, why do you think this time it’s going to work?’

BUSH: Because I told them it had to.

PELOSI: Why didn’t you tell them that the other two times?

Comments

1. Bart says

I’m really starting to feel some major traction on the impeach Bush front. The View actually brings it up on a daily basis. Rosie’s even asking guests if Bush should be impeached.

I love this country…….when it works the way it should.

2. jimmyboyo says

PELOSI: Why didn’t you tell them that the other two times?

I hope, I hope, I hope she said that for real. Please please please may she have really said that……..

3. JT says

Did anyone else notice the lead up to this “hand shake” (or is it arm wrestling) at the SOTU? The President was trying to slap her arm, came dangerously close to whacking a breast, then she grabbed his hand…basically saying “I am the Speaker of House of Representatives, the second in line to your job. I am not a frat brother.”

4. Faith says

Online petitions are not legitimate. For a petition to actually come into play it FIRST has to be given the O.K by a judge, then there actually has to be SIGNITURES. Not people typing in their names online. It actually has to be signed. But..it is a nice gesture and something to think about. Bush has really lost his mind and is ruining our country. Now bring my brother and cousins home from Iraq!

5. patrick says

I believe he THINKS he is King…and not only that, but an absolute monarch!

Next thing you hear he will have changed the national anthem to “God Save the King”….just wait, that’s next.

God I need a drink…..is it 2008 yet?

6. the yankee says

Its not 2008 yet but if the Dems put Osama or Hillary on the ticket we will enjoy 4 more years of the GOP Kingdom.

Whats wrong with a King anyway?