George W. Bush | News

BigGayDeal.com

State of the Union Open Thread

Sotu_1

I watched the State of the Union last night but I really don't have much to say about it except that it was great to see Nancy Pelosi recognized as the first female Speaker of the House, and heartening to think that we only have to hear one more SOTU address from George W. Bush.

Think Progress has posted a great annotated video of the speech which jumps to key moments. I've posted the link below, as well as a link to the Democratic response from Jim Webb.

Feel free to discuss in the comments.

Annotated State of the Union video [think progress]
Text of George W. Bush SOTU [think progress]
Text of the Democratic response [americablog]

Comments

1. Throughout Bush’s State of the Union address, he reminded me of a losing gambler in denial...the kind who says, "If I keep using my system, eventually the cards have to go my way." Well, no, they don't.

His speech was extremely disappointing. He is still trying to double-talk us through this war.

Bush said Iraq is "a decisive ideological struggle," and "nothing is more important at this moment in our history than for America to succeed." But he also said that the USA’s commitment to the war is "not open-ended." Huh? If nothing is more important, it must be open-ended. If it's not open-ended, it can't be all that important.

Bush said "we’re not in this struggle alone" and "we are rallying the world to join the fight." Huh? Our largest coalition partner, Great Britain, is planning to leave Iraq by the end of the year and the rest have already left. Bush has no diplomatic strategy at all and there is no rallying to get others to join us.

Bush proposed to set up a "special advisory council." Huh? We have already done that and he dismissed the advice out of hand. Do we need yet another one for him to ignore?

I don’t expect our leaders to be infallible but I also don't want leaders who think they are, and will press on in the wrong direction rather than admit they were wrong.

Our options have come down to (a) pulling out now and having a certain level of disaster descend on Iraq...or (b) pulling out at some point in the future, having the same or worse level of disaster hit Iraq then, after a staggering number of American lives and dollars were lost unnecessarily in the interim. Those who oppose this war now may not have a proposal to make everything in Iraq hunky-dory...but I don't see that those who favor staying having any plan beyond "Let's keep doing more of all those things that haven't worked the way we predicted."

The Iraqi people overwhelmingly want us to leave. They do not believe our presence stabilizes or protects and, as a result, they support attacks on our troops. All the better to get us the hell out.

We remain in Iraq because President Bush refuses to admit reality. We remain in Iraq to avoid a blow to our national self-esteem. That's understandable on an individual level, but overall, it means we're not merely asking men to die for a mistake, we're asking them to keep dying to protect our ego.

Posted by: bill | Jan 24, 2007 9:48:35 AM

2. I got through the glad-handing and accolades to Nancy Pelosi and the new Democratic leadership, but tuned out afterwards. I did not like this idiot in 2000, even less in 2004. I will note that his smug arrogance seems to have been abated somewhat.

Though Pelosi said it was "Off the table", I would love to hear the Democratic consensus bring up the need for an investigation towards possible impeachment (or threat of, therein).

Posted by: Rad | Jan 24, 2007 10:03:02 AM

3. Today marks four days less than two years until that prick is thrown out of the Whitehouse. There is no doubt he will go down as the worse President in our history.

I stopped watching the State of the Union after he took us to war, preferring to read the points I need to in the press. I do not believe a word out of his, or anyone in his administrations, mouth. He is so full of shit his eyes are brown.

The only silver lining is that the GOP lost control of both houses, which ties Bush's balls in a knot. I hope the press corp continues to grow its spine and balls back and keeps both Dems and the GOP in line.

Meanwhile I will sit back and see who comes to the forefront of the Dem race for the Whitehouse, anyone is better than the mess we have now, enjoy Libby turn on his old bosses at his trial, and Bush play the limp dick.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Jan 24, 2007 10:09:36 AM

4. It was way too convenient for the media that Hillary was sitting right behind Barack.

Posted by: Shaun | Jan 24, 2007 10:21:05 AM

5. I've only been given official permission to share this with one other person so keep this just between you and me. While others cruelly criticize what APPEARS TO BE yet more endless pictures of Reichen & Lance endlessly playing through life, the ski trip was actually a top secret ruse so that Reichen could continue his tireless war on DADT. The guy between him & Lance in the gondola? A senior official in the Bush Administration! All those gift bags R & L were seen scooping up? Each one contained a coded message from the Secretary of Defense. All those red carpets? More code. For what we're not certain, but word is that until some last minute snafu regarding checks clearing, Bush was going to announce the end of DADT during his State of the Union last night; Lance was to sing "The Star Spangled Banner," and the President, tears in his eyes, would tell the nation how much he personally wanted to thank Reichen, who was to sit between Laura and Condi, for his countless sacrifices and convincing our Commander in Chief that DADT was wrong, just wrong! Reichen would then stand and take his shirt off, after which he would immediately leave, accompanied by Bush'es personal Marine guards, to entertain the troops in Iraq, much like he did at the Academy. A special MASH STD clinic has already arrived.

Posted by: Leland | Jan 24, 2007 11:14:04 AM

6. My God, Leland. You're clearly an intelligent guy with an outstanding vocabulary, and many of the comments you make on Towleroad are insightful and no-nonsense. But your obsession with Reichen is so fucking adolescent that it borders on being pathetic. Give it a rest.

Back to the State of the Union address, did Bush propose a tax on employer health plans? I don't understand the intricacies of tax initiatives, but I can't imagine his rapidly dwindling Republican base is going to support this.

Posted by: chrisb | Jan 24, 2007 11:31:03 AM

7. i loved looking over bushs left shoulder and seeing nancy there. but looking over his right shoulder made me very scared.

Posted by: chris | Jan 24, 2007 11:31:58 AM

8. I'm hoping that last night will be his last. I hope he doesn't make it to next year.

Posted by: Tread | Jan 24, 2007 11:48:26 AM

9. Bill, well said.

The main argument from the Republicans is the Iraqi domino theory. Condi Rice years ago once said we (the USA) should be in all twenty Arab countries.

The truth is we don't have to be in any of them. Let them settle their own affairs.

There is a world market for oil. The Chinese get what they want without sticking their noses into foreign politics in an agressive way. We could learn a lot from them.

Posted by: jessejames | Jan 24, 2007 12:01:45 PM

10. Tread! You would rather have Cheney? WTF? Be very careful what you pray for; sometimes you get it.

Posted by: rudy | Jan 24, 2007 12:05:20 PM

11. Call me politically ignorant, but wasn't about 90% of what he was saying filler, politcal Hallmark messages, repeats from last year's SOTU and blatant lies? I mean, he could've wrapped that sh*t up in about 10 minutes if he'd just quit the verbal lolligagging. And the rest of us could've gone back to our regularly scheduled programs.

It was wierd how Nancy kept blinking like crazy. Like the wafting smell of bullsh*t emanating from the speaker in front was stinging her eyes. And Cheney alternated between looking dead, drunk and like stone carving of Satan. I know it's petty to pick on the physical, but as stated, it's not like the speech left me with much otherwise.

I did find it funny, once again, he tried so hard to ease some of the spotlight onto other people, inviting that blonde chick and that subway hero guy. And how the subway "hero" doesn't want to known as a "hero," but when Bush introduced him, he was all kissing hands and waving and greeting everyone like he was the black Elizabeth II. As they say, "play on, playa."

I have to admit tho, I can see why over half of Americans can agree to label Bush as "likeable" even when they also rate him one of the worst presidents ever in opinion polls. His doofy charm can be appealing. However, he kept smirking like his sh*t don't stink which, when you stop to really consider the state of the union, was kinda brazenly as*holish.

Posted by: Derrick | Jan 24, 2007 12:49:53 PM

12. Here's a link to a cool game we can all play next State of the Union speech: http://www.drinkinggame.us/

I missed the speech so could not participate or get so drunk just then. I just went over it and found a new list of words. (Like the game did, to drink or whatever to...) I am done with it for now so I'll leave the alcohol equivalents for their appearance next speech to others.

When someone doesn't say something but takes a lot of words to do it, sometimes it's interesting to see exactly what he didn't say. The following are words he did not use:

Any mention of New Orleans, hurricane, disaster, FEMA, recovery, flood, tsunami.

Veteran's benefits, body armor.

The word "Gay," homosexual, sex, adoption, marriage.

Evolution, rapture, armageddon, Scopes monkey trial, National park, tribulation.

Schiavo diagnosis, brain dead.

Shopping, dead, killed, blowed up, volunteer, draft.

Condom, abstinence, abortion, sanctity.

Habeus corpus, detained, rendered, trial, hearing (except that for Federal Judges,) rights (of us in the U.S.,) amendment, constitution (ours,) search, warrant, "activist Judges," star chamber, Torquemada.

Airport security, safety (not "safety videos.")

International, unilateral, bilateral, multilateral, and of course no 'trilateral.'

Delay, Foley, Abramoff, scandal, indictment, jury, ham sandwich, contractor(s) (except for "Civilian Reserve Corps???") Haliburton, Blackwater, Enron, corruption (here,) ethics, minority party, trouncing or pounding, veto.

Food, food supply, contamination, e. coli, livestock, vegetable, farm, grow (referring to anything that is alive,) vegetation, tree ,bush, shrub, ocean (except as something a plane could get blown up over,) stream, river, lake, reservoir, dam, levee, crop winter, weather, ice, snow, cold, heat, heating oil.

Fish, fishing industry, fisheries, pollution, poultry, cattle, sheep, Republican.

Stem cell, fetus, snowflake.

Prescription drug prices.

Surprising words he did use:

"Illegal immigrants" - 1
    "Climate change" - 1 (Wtf?)
    "United Nations" - 2
    "Darfur" - 1 (extraordinarily lame)
    "Environment" - 3

And at least he didn't bring up the fucking Hydrogen car.

The State of the Union is we have 727 more days of this.

Posted by: James | Jan 24, 2007 1:02:07 PM

13. This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union address occurred on the same day. As Air America Radio pointed out, "It's an ironic juxtaposition of events: one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog."

Posted by: JOE 2 | Jan 24, 2007 1:06:17 PM

14. The end of Jim Webb's Democratic response (delivered with a hilariously crossed leg) reminded me of one of the many reasons why I am a democrat:

Regarding the economic imbalance in our country, I am reminded of the situation President Theodore Roosevelt faced in the early days of the 20th century. America was then, as now, drifting apart along class lines. The so-called robber barons were unapologetically raking in a huge percentage of the national wealth. The dispossessed workers at the bottom were threatening revolt.

Roosevelt spoke strongly against these divisions. He told his fellow Republicans that they must set themselves "as resolutely against improper corporate influence on the one hand as against demagogy and mob rule on the other." And he did something about it.

As I look at Iraq, I recall the words of former general and soon-to-be President Dwight Eisenhower during the dark days of the Korean War, which had fallen into a bloody stalemate. "When comes the end?" asked the general who had commanded our forces in Europe during World War II. And as soon as he became president, he brought the Korean War to an end.

These presidents took the right kind of action, for the benefit of the American people and for the health of our relations around the world. Tonight we are calling on this president to take similar action, in both areas. If he does, we will join him. If he does not, we will be showing him the way.

Posted by: Giovanni | Jan 24, 2007 1:37:03 PM

15. Had he just gotten up there and said, "WE'RE F*CKED!", it would have been simpler, more to the point, more accurate and would have spared us the remaining 49 minutes, 28 seconds of his all too familiar lies and obfuscations that we’ve heard a thousand times before.

I could have gotten a better and more accurate understanding of the state of the union by watching a Hee Haw rerun. Buck Owens and Roy Clark singing
    “Pickin and Grinnin” are about half as annoying, twice as entertaining and at least three times as informative as the average Bush speech.

Posted by: Zeke | Jan 24, 2007 1:59:19 PM

16. Other than that, I LOVED it!

Posted by: Zeke | Jan 24, 2007 2:02:00 PM

17. ho·kum (hōkəm)
    n.

1. Something apparently impressive or legitimate but actually untrue or insincere; nonsense.
    2. A stock technique for eliciting a desired response from an audience.

Posted by: JT | Jan 24, 2007 2:38:12 PM

18. zeke and JT

LOL both posts LOL ^5 :-)

Just to remind everyone, 2001 STOU address, bush promised to fund alternative energy research to the tune of 200+million while since then.....5 years later only 15 million has actualy gone to it.

In other words if you believe one word this proven liar says then you are a raving lunatic.

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Jan 24, 2007 3:55:38 PM

19. The real story was Jim Webbs gritty Democratic response to the Liar in Chief's State of Denial address.

Posted by: Ron | Jan 24, 2007 5:42:15 PM

20. I know the aide to Tammy Baldwin (GLBT inclusive representative from Wisconsin). There is real evidence that the tide is finally turning against POTUS Bush. His strategy in Iraq is dead. His right-wing Christian stance on domestic issue is finally giving way to more sensible (and hopefully more sensitive) GLBT position. Example: The U.S. constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage is tabled (hopefully forever). Finally, the realization that there is realization that immigrants make this country strong is refreshing. God, I hope the tide is finally turning.

Posted by: Pablo | Jan 24, 2007 7:41:38 PM

21. I really wasn't prepared for yet another major load of Republican bullshit, but should have expected it. I had really just tuned in to see Nancy and to see what her and Hilary were wearing, and just KNEW I'd have to have a martini or three just to hear George's voice, but then just got kinda mesmerized by the demonic-like quality he has (along with Cheney). Then the booze started acting up with my mood-stabilizers, and I couldn't remember how many I had or where I was, and the next thing I knew I found myself this morning passed out on my lawn, and all I could say was "Am I outside?". See what those damn State of the Union Addresses are for? Not a damned thing!

Posted by: patrick | Jan 24, 2007 9:28:13 PM

22. poodle was wonderful.

it was a proud moment for our nation to see pelosi there. it was also powerful to see all of the red, yellow, pink suits across the floor, a sign of increase in women in the congress.

the nation is great, bush is not.

Posted by: poodle | Jan 24, 2007 11:12:38 PM

23. President Bush has a tough row to hoe with all the media and democrat bs loggers to deal with. I wonder how far the dems and left wing would be without the support of most of the media behind them. We have seen how Iran came into Iraq once we drove Sadaam out to take advanatage of a new government and infiltrate the country with their insanity. Yet many of you still wear blinders and blame Bush for any tribulation in your lives. On one hand he is a bumbling fool and on the other is responsible for every ill known to mankind. Read what happened during WWII in England when one of the greatest Churchill, faced enormous opposition to fight the killers Hitler was bringing against the world. How can the dems say they support our troops and the new Secretary Gates on one hand and oppose what was recommended by Gates, Bush and the council on what needed to be done in Iraq. I am sick most of all for all this name calling and profanity spouted by you bloggers instead of legitimate disagreement or discussion. Have a nice day. I pray (yes pray) for all our leaders in both parties to guide us in the best direction.

Posted by: Joe | Jan 27, 2007 1:45:46 PM