Bravo | News | Television

TV Trainer Doug Blasdell Dies After Sudden Hospitalization

Doug Blasdell, a trainer on Bravo's reality series Work Out, died over the weekend after an abrupt hospitalization, according to the network. Bravo released the following statement:

Blasdell_1"All of us at Bravo are deeply saddened by the terrible news of Doug Blasdell’s untimely passing. He was an inspiring trainer, an exuberant colleague who made the gym a very fun place each and every day and was extraordinarily warm in all aspects of his life. Our heartfelt sympathy goes out to his many friends and colleagues at this very difficult time."

AfterElton interviewed Blasdell in July and he talked about participating in the Bravo show: "It's a beautiful thing because it really focuses on being gay and the gay community in general. The people they picked represent our community very well. I mean, there's drama, of course. There is in any community. But the three of us give different examples of what it is to be gay. And none of it is negative. There's nobody voted off. It's about taking care of yourself and eating right. It really is about being a trainer. Yeah, we drink alcohol, but the show represents healthy living. Physically and emotionally."

There has been no official report released on cause of death. We send our condolences to Blasdell's family and friends.

Comments

1. Wait, didn't he also say in his interviews how he didn't like people who also acted "too gay?" -- like a specific cast member on the show? No one mentions this. I think it's sad when anyone dies, although millions seem to do it every day, but I also think it's shortsided when people eulogize someone for being great for the gay community when actually they may have contributed to the internalized homophobia so many people battle within the community when trying to find their own way. Again, not to diminish his passing, but maybe to crank the rhetoric down a little might be more helpful. If you knew him, then tell us more about who he was really. I'd like to know.

Posted by: Desi | Feb 12, 2007 11:45:13 AM

2. Eeeeh,
    So what!

MIMI

Posted by: MIMI | Mar 25, 2007 7:27:24 PM

3. Doug, was a great guy, he helped train me before and I will use the knowledge he gave to me to better myself in working out more and fitness. Doug Rest in Peace! I miss you and so do alot of your clients!!!

Posted by: javier | Apr 4, 2007 3:16:18 AM

4. First, Bless all of Doug's family and friends, pray they get the support they need to get through this with dignity to Doug and themselves. They will always be in my prayers from this day on. Doug is already blessed I'm sure.

I am a 47 year old woman, I have a wife of 10 years and I (we) have two adult children. We are just like every other human being on this planet. It does not need to be an issue all the time though. Doug was a man before he was anything else, before he was a gay man, before he was a partner, and before he was a trainer on a new TV show. but above all it was clear in his eyes that he was first and foremost a GOOD person. That was not an act, that cannot be hidden. That is why we are saddened by his death, because one more person who wanted to make the world a better place for everyone- regardless of what or who they were- can't be here to do that anymore . that's it, not all this hullabaloo about the gay community and it must have been this or that and all that other bullshit back and forth.
    A GOOD AND DECENT HUMAN BEING IS NO LONGER WITH US, WE SHOULD BE SADDENED!
    Sorry for the rant. I have never posted here before and I am not a writer by any stretch of the imagination. But I read these posts when I googled Doug because I was hoping he didn't pass. Some of the things I've read are so negative and that does disservice to Doug and his family.

Posted by: Donna | Apr 5, 2007 9:36:23 PM

5. WOW I THOUGHT WHEN I SAW THE LAST EPISODE OF THE SHOW THEY SAID HE WAS DOING BETTER, BUT I WAS STILL CURIOUS TO FIND OUT IF HE WAS OK SO I CHECKED ONLINE. I WAS SHOCKED BY THIS. IT'S SO SAD HE SEEMED LIKE SUCH A GREAT PERSON. R.I.P. DOUGH.

Posted by: debbie | Apr 12, 2007 8:51:28 PM

6. I just found out Doug is no longer with us. This information comes as a shock to me because he was one of the most relatable people on the show. This absolutely upset me. Rest in peace Doug

Posted by: Kelvino | Apr 15, 2007 1:15:41 PM

7. I may be a little different than most on here, i am a married straight male who saw the show for the first time last week. Bravo replayed a lot of the episodes as well so we saw it all. My wife and I was instantly taken by dougs apparent shyness, niceness and warmness. My wife and I also both lost our parents very young so we related to doug. when we heard on one episode he was sick we were heartsick. i then told my wife yesterday that something told me this man died so i checked this morning and lo and behold he did very very sad - i honestly dont think we can watch the show anymore. i feel so sorry for that man.

dave

Posted by: dave | Apr 20, 2007 8:28:55 AM

8. I DONT UNDERSTAND HOW THE SHOW IS WAITING UNTIL THE SCHEDULED AIRING OF THE SHOW TO LET THE PUBLIC KNOW DOUG PASSED. I SAW THE PREVIEW FOR THE NEXT EPISODE, I HAD A FEELING BUT I DIDNT WANT TO THINK THE WORST. NOW I KNOW. IM REAL SAD, EVEN THOUGH I DIDNT KNOW HOW. SEEING HIS PARTNER ON THE SHOW PROVES THAT DOUG WAS A GENUINE GUY WHO WAS GOING THROUGH ALOT BUT DID EVERYTHING IN TO NEVER LET THE PEOPLE AROUND HIM KNOW IT, HE DIDNT LOOK FOR SYMPATHY, ITS ALMOST AS IF WHATEVER HE WAS DEALING WITH HE WANTED TO DEAL WITH IT ALONE. IM SURE NOW HES IS A BETTER PLACE AND OT SUFFERING FRM THE ILLNESS THAT TOOK HIS LIFE. NOT BECAUSE HES GAY, BUT BECAUSE I CAN RELATE IN MANY WAYS I FEEL HE DIED OF AIDS. IM CURIOUS TO SEE WHAT THE CAUSE OF DEATH WILL SAY.

Posted by: HUGO BOSS | Apr 26, 2007 6:59:29 PM

9. I watched the show a few times....sorry that Doug is gone now. He did appear to be one of the nicer and less flamboyant members of the cast. I am a straight married mother-I do not allow my kids to watch the show. I like the basic workout information offered on the show, and sometimes the healthy living content. I prefer NOT to see the gay world eptomized as it is in the show....I've known dozens of gays personally due to my career military time-overall the show is not representative of real life in the gay community. It is after all a TV reality Show! I hope you knew Jesus Doug.

Posted by: Kitkat | May 1, 2007 1:55:06 PM

10. I just went over all the post's made with Doug as the main subject. In all it seems the death of Doug has touched more people than anyone can imagine. I for one am a male who never get's attached to any reality show but, after my first time watching WorkOut, I was hooked. Everyone on the show is interesting. I liked Doug when I first saw him but it wasn't taken until his birthday show. I became so attached to his demeaner. Calm,Calm,Calm. He would make me melt when he would talk. Did any of you have a teacher that talked with such a soft spoken voice that you could melt? He did for me. One thing for sure. Doug was smarter and more interesting than most. As for all the posts with comments to bring drama to this ending of a mans life. The one thing you all should learn from this is live life to it's fullest. Play hard, Play safe and always follow your heart. Stay well.
    Peace. David

Posted by: David | May 2, 2007 6:13:45 PM

11. I was so in love with Doug, I watched the show to be inspired by someone who soul was full of grace. He loved everybody and anybody who has a bad thing to say about him needs to do some soul searching with in thier selfs,Doug I never personally knew you but I love and miss you, now yow are in a far more better place than this hateful,juudemental world. You were defintley a Angel!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Montique | May 3, 2007 5:33:07 PM

12. I am so saddened to hear of doug's passing. It don't matter what he died of. The only thing that matters is that he was a great guy who befriends everyone. He made me realize that no matter what sexual beliefs a person has, they are still human beings created by one. You were definately born to bring greatness. you will be missed.

Posted by: shirilyn | May 5, 2007 6:39:20 PM