AIDS/HIV | Bill Gates | Britney Spears | Canada | Crime | Gay Marriage | George W. Bush | Hillary Clinton | Magazines | Massachusetts | Military | Morrissey | New York | News | Sports | Transportation

News: Tommy Morrison, Tuki Brando, Spying, NYC Subways

road.jpg Bill Gates announces he'll contribute $28 million in funding to a project hoping to accelerate the development of an AIDS vaccine. The Canadian government has contributed $111 million. Said Gates: "Tackling AIDS is an incredible challenge. Year by year, we'll track the progress we make on this. Most scientists think that it probably will take more than 10 years. We could get lucky, it could happen sooner than that." Scientists recently announced they had discovered a long sought after site of vulnerability in the virus which could be targeted with a vaccine.

Morrisonroad.jpg Boxer Tommy Morrison says he'll soon be back in the ring after tests find no sign of HIV in his blood. Morrison was banned from boxing after a 1996 test showed he was HIV positive. Morrison: "I did every kind of test they have on the market and one that is not even approved yet," said Morrison, who said he weighs between 220 and 225 pounds, the same as he weighed during his prime. "They can't find any virus. I have taken test after test and they have all come up negative. I look like a pin cushion with all the tests I have taken. They can't find any virus because it never was."

road.jpg Morrissey announces plans for a 40-city tour of North America.

road.jpg Civil rights trial ordered for Catholic leader who assaulted a female protestor who was at a rally objecting to the proposed anti-gay marriage amendment in Massachusetts.

road.jpg New York MTA preparedness chief says New York subways are "ripe, easy targets"; pleads with Homeland Security: "Even if you don’t have the money, do the testing for us. Do something, something. The magnitude of the problem is almost incomprehensible."

road.jpg Hillary now using Bush talking points?

road.jpg Military rapist claims sex between he and his six accusers was consensual.

Tuki_brandoroad.jpg Grandson of Marlon Brando flings his lion's mane across the pages of L'Uomo Vogue.

road.jpg The travesty of the Walter Reed Medical Center: "Dana Priest and Anne Hull of the Washington Post revealed over the weekend that Walter Reed hospital, once perceived as the 'crown jewel of military medicine,' has become 'something else entirely — a holding ground for physically and psychologically damaged outpatients.'" White House Press Secretary Tony Snow admits: "...the president certainly has been aware of the conditions in the wards where he has visited, and visited regularly. And we also have people from Walter Reed regularly over to the White House as the guests, sometimes in fairly large numbers."

road.jpg The Britney saga continues. Girl back in rehab.

road.jpg Big Brother is watching you. New details from a PBS report reveal that "The government is intercepting most emails sent domestically; AT&T is collecting most emails and sharing them with the government, specifically the NSA; The device installed in San Francisco is capable of intercepting 10 GIGBYTES of data per second. In layman's terms, that means it could go through all the information in all the books in the Library of Congress in 15 minutes."

Comments

1. I think we should spend Bill Gates money on other medical issues that aren't preventable. If everyone would stop having unprotected sex, this disease would eventually die out.

Posted by: Matt | Feb 21, 2007 11:44:58 AM

2. Everyone stop having unprotected sex? Hahahahaha. Haha. Ha. You're joking, right? Right after we dismantle the Catholic church and break down years of sexual patriarchy to make condom use "cool" in Africa. You get right on top of that.

Posted by: burnssuit | Feb 21, 2007 11:52:17 AM

3. I have friends who work in research for companies such as Merck and Novartis who state that companies will NEVER cure a disease as treating illnesses brings in more money long-term. As a diabetic since 12, I can assure you that companies are making money HAND OVER FIST in glucose test strips, insulin, syringes, med's - you name it, and many individuals say that a cure is just around the corner but funding from these companies is strictly limited to improving the lifestyle not the cure. It's b.s., money talks and everything else walks. The idea that the free market works for the better of humanity is a load of crap...

Posted by: Cory | Feb 21, 2007 11:56:40 AM

4. Hilariously, the girl just checked herself out of rehab again.

Posted by: RD | Feb 21, 2007 12:14:06 PM

5. 10GBytes per second would probably not be fast enough to scan all e-mail traffic, and we can be sure the smart terrorists know how to encrypt their e-mails. That and 90%-99% of all e-mail traffic is spam. I should think this is a waste of time.

Posted by: anon | Feb 21, 2007 12:46:58 PM

6. ThinkProgress reports backtracking from Snow's assertion about the President's knowledge of army hospital conditions:

They now say he learned about the squalor from the newspaper story. Either way, he doesn't seem to give a shit about the men who've been injured on his behalf.

Posted by: John C | Feb 21, 2007 12:48:05 PM

7. Note to self:

1. Open ReHab Chain.

2. Ensure revolving door part of allure.

3. Make lots of money.

4. Retire.

Posted by: mark | Feb 21, 2007 1:47:47 PM

8. Matt...so Ryan White and the thousands!!!! of people through blood transfusions etc contracted HIV should have had a condom put over those needles.

Yeah the majority of HIV cases are sexual, but there are thousands that were not sexual at all.

Oh, and yell at the Catholic Church about condoms because the teaching of poor Africans that condoms are evil sure isn't spreading safe sex....it is spreading aids through Africa though
    --------------------------------------------

Hillary sounding like bush. LOL She always ahs. Bush lite in a dress.

--------------------------------------------

Mark LOL
    If you need an investor, call me.

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Feb 21, 2007 2:00:47 PM

9. Yeah I guess you guys are right. In a perfect world everyone would wear a condom and this disease would die out. I just have a big problem with a lot of gays in my community who don't care b/c they see it as managable so they just do whatever and then my taxes end up paying for their public clinic treatments or my insurance rises to pay for them. I seriously doubt there will ever be a cure. Like what was stated earlier, the drug companies make money off the sick, not the well.

Posted by: Matt | Feb 21, 2007 2:10:36 PM

10. Many HIV+ girls and women in Africa are the victims of rape. Lectures about abstinence wouldn't have helped them:

Posted by: John C | Feb 21, 2007 2:46:01 PM

11. So I am the first to acknowledge Hillary. If she could possible flip flop more I could not see how! I sincerely hope that she gets the nomination because she is the repubs best hope.

I suppose that her views on the war have "evolved" just like her views on the gays. I am still looking for something new from the dems....oh yeah, and my rights.

Posted by: RB | Feb 21, 2007 3:19:21 PM

12. 1) I find the timing of Bill Gates's media affront on the Aids issue extremely (Vista) suspicious, and therefore offensive..And it's one thing to throw money into curing Aids when you've accumulated billions, but it is another when your company is at the forefront of creating the type of monopoly and nasty business atmosphere that forces all to put the 'human' further and further down the chains of priorities.

2) Hillary didn't necessarly speak against her democrat opponents, so that Americablog article is misleading. She said:

“To underscore a point, some people may be running who tell you we don’t face a real threat from terrorism,” she said. “I’m not one of them. We have serious enemies who want to do us serious harm.”

As far as I know Rudy Giuliani and John McCain are also in the running, and they're not dems..

Posted by: Da | Feb 21, 2007 3:23:29 PM

13. Gates, on behalf of his & his wife's foundation - has been working continuously on public health issues for years. Since he's been conspicuously stepping back from the helm of Microsoft for a number of years, I think we can see that

Gates' money came from the public buying shares in Microsoft. He's doing what other "robber barons" like Carnegie have done for years, and he's making a real difference. Applaud it.

As for the rest, try this: Microsoft is to the software community, as the USA is to the world community. Read it anyway you will.

Posted by: Mike | Feb 21, 2007 4:03:22 PM

14. Oops. 1st para cut off: "see that he's focussing much more on the foundation".

Posted by: Mike | Feb 21, 2007 4:05:04 PM

15. Mike, I get that..but I'm not willing to applaud him just because he spends a few millions more than the average Joe on fighting Aids. (Duh, right!?)

I sincerely think it'd be a serious mistake to look at his charity work -or anyone's for that matter- without considering the globality of the individual..Cause it might allow a few to buy themselves an image in the press which frees them from answering the tough questions. Cause who in their right mind would dare questioning someone who spends 28 million to fight Aids??

Well, it is my personal opinion that Bill Gates would make a *greater* difference if he started to apply all those good intentions he's expressed in his recent press conference to the way his company conducts business, as those decisions are bound to effect us all for generations to come.

Lastly (and it might be very presemptuous of me to say this) : I believe that what Aids patients here and Africa want more than a cure is a fairer and better world. As it's where it all starts...And it's indeed condescending to use their plight to extricate ourselves from our responsibility to be fair and equitable to those who aren't striken with their disease.

Posted by: Da | Feb 21, 2007 5:46:31 PM

16. So, because people get it from unprotected sex we should just not cure it. Because people in Africa and here want "a better and fairer world" we should just not cure it.

"And it's indeed condescending to use their plight to extricate ourselves from our responsibility to be fair and equitable to those who aren't striken with their disease."

What do you mean exactly? How will not curing AIDS help anyone? How is letting people die and a disease mutate and become stronger and drug-resistant fair and equitable to people who aren't striken with the disease. I'm not sure what your comment means--it sounds like circular logic to me.

Posted by: Daniel | Feb 21, 2007 7:29:50 PM

17. Condoms, condoms, condoms.

You'd think people would think up a better alternative like not being a whore and waiting until you find a life-long partner.

Posted by: 123's | Feb 21, 2007 8:14:28 PM

18. I think you completely misunderstood my post Daniel:

What I mean is that people with Aids are humans first, and not just "Aids patients". They care about the world around them, and all the issues, as the rest of us do - So in that sense it's very condescending towards them to think that absolutely anyone who's somehow involved in fighting the disease ($1 or $28 million strong I don't care) automatically holds a special status in society & is exempt from accountability for other trespassings in their lives.

This said, I do want a cure for Aids..don't get me wrong! I just don't believe Mr Gates nor me or you are indispensable for it...nor do I separate Aids from the rest of the problems that effect us all on a global scale - because doing that guarantees that when a cure is in fact available things might not change in the least it as it relates to access to it.

Posted by: Da | Feb 21, 2007 8:49:34 PM

19. RB

Hi

Though a republican, you are SPOT ON about Hillary. ^5 She stinks!!!! Though she claims she has appologized for the war.....it wasn't really an appology. Her excuse was 9/11 and her being a New yorker. Come on now!!! At least edwards has admited that his vote was wrong, he was wrong, and Iraq is wrong.

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Feb 21, 2007 10:27:35 PM

20. Do you think condoms will be used by rapists in Africa? Get real!

Posted by: Tom | Feb 22, 2007 12:50:16 AM

21. Just to clarify, I am in no way implying that all AIDs in Africa is spread by rape. Saying lectures about abstinance would not help victims is as pointless as saying "condoms, condoms, condoms".

Posted by: Tom | Feb 22, 2007 12:59:24 AM

22. DA: I think Bill Gates gets questioned on stuff every day regardless of what money he spends on aids or other charitable works. You're an example. But please be very careful about suggesting that the chairman of a company like Microsoft has as much power over what each of his 30-40,000 employees does at such a granular level.

Steve Jobs, Larry Ellison et al are billionaire software monopolists as well who have no charitable face at all.

If you're going to make those sorts of black & white requirements, then you're like those who sees George W Bush as responsible for every action of the USA and each of its citizens (including Bill Gates). So if you are from the USA, I won't hold you responsible for *your* comments. It's just a result of the political climate at the top, right?

Posted by: Mike | Feb 22, 2007 3:36:29 AM

23. Mike, that's the thing..I don't think he gets questionned enough in the media.

And I'm not talking about his employees either, whom I have nothing against. I have a sibling who holds a good position at MS. All I'm saying is that as a chairman, Gates must continue to be held accountable for his business legacy despite the efforts he's putting forth publicly with his charity enterprise. Charity should never be a free pass, especially for those who have a lot riding on it as far as their legacy goes.

Your very example of Steve Jobs as a billionaire with no (public) charity face only confirms why we must remain vigilent and critical with whatever is being presented to us as most important in an individual's character or legacy.

---

And btw, you clearly don't know me if you think I judge anyone without nuances! I suggest you read my comments about George Bush in the "White House Poll: Blacks, Women, Hispanics OK, Others Iffy"..

Quote:

"I don't believe Bush was voted simply because he was "Bush" - saying that is coping out of examining the reasons why he genuinely appealed to the public and ended up winning. Bush had a confidence of his ideas, and as much as the conservatives can be faulted for their tactics they've understood long ago that the general public still care about ideas (not just gossip). And they've kept on discussing them which is envigorating to the debate. The public and voters love that."

Posted by: Da | Feb 22, 2007 12:20:43 PM