Mary Cheney Disses Dobson, Says Baby “Not a Political Statement”

Twomommies2_1_1Speaking to a crowd at Barnard College in Manhattan this week, Vice President Dick Cheney’s lesbian daughter Mary defended her pregnancy and same-sex parenting:

“When Heather and I decided to have a baby, I knew it wasn’t going to be the most popular decision. [points to womb] This is a baby. This is a blessing from God. It is not a political statement. It is not a prop to be used in a debate, on either side of a political issue. It is my child.”

Calling Focus on the Family wingnut James Dobson “not someone whose endorsement I have ever drastically sought,” Cheney told the crowd exactly what the Bush administration’s religious right-wing base doesn’t want to hear:

“Every piece of remotely responsible research that has been done in the last 20 years has shown there is no difference between children raised by same-sex parents and children raised by opposite-sex parents; what matters is being raised in a stable, loving environment.”

Following the event, Cheney told the NYT that Wolf Blitzer “was trying to get a rise out of my father” when he asked about the baby during an on-air Situation Room interview. (watch)

The Vice President told Blitzer that his questioning was “out of line”.

Mary Cheney Publicly Defends Her Pregnancy [nyt] (via americablog)

Comments

1. Jim says

Can you imagine having this much attention focused on you……….before you are even born? While I’m not a fan of Mary, I do hope her child has the life he/she deserves.

2. Matt says

I am happy they are having a child. Usually when a grandchild is born it helps abate the homophobia some parents have towards their children because they want to be part of their grandchildren’s lives.

3. says

Unfortunately, Cheney’s statement that this isn’t a political statement in and of itself certainly makes it a political statement. It’s hard to tell if she’s being deliberately disingenuous or simply naively ironic. It’s great that she’s speaking out about this subject and I certainly wish her, her partner and the baby all the best, but given her past and connections, pretty much anything she does is a political statement at this point. Politics is a stain. You can’t just wash it off when it’s inconvenient.

4. Wayne says

The baby is not the issue here, it’s Mary’s continued support of an administration that has bent over backwards to discriminate against The Gays. She, and her scary father, can no longer pretend that what they’ve done over the past 5 years is okay. Now, faced with bringing a child into this world, and realizing that said child will someday understand the pain it’s mother and grandfather have brought to us all, she now wants to make the child the issue and ignore her carnivorous behavior towards her own kind. Shame on them both. I sincerely hope that mother and child are happy and healthy, but the issue is her politics, not her pregnancy. To finally come out against FOF and Dobson is great… but coming from her mouth it’s way too little and way too late.

5. Sean says

This is one seriously whacked-out lesbian.

The issue of gay couples having a child is a VERY political issue. The fact that this is the daughter of one of the top politicians in the US, who time and time again opposes gay rights, makes this pregnancy very politically relevant. She needs to grow some balls.

6. tommy says

Mary says that they are having a baby and this is not a politacal statement. Great, that is what we ALL want. Unfortunatly the people she represents do not feel the same way. Must be nice to be the daughter of big Dick Cheney.

7. Michael says

Mary has disappointed me yet again. I agree her child is not a political statement. Neither is the child I am adopting. However, how can her father state Wolfe Blitzer and John Kerry are out of line, while he VP Cheney lets Republican party officials, politicians and supports say bad things about gay and lesbians, and sometimes about his daughter directly (think Alan Keyes). I understand Mary not publically attacking her father, but her father needs to step up to the plate. Mary needs to also publically state to Republican politicians that they are out of line in their statements and questions as well.

8. jmg says

Interesting choice of venue–Barnard girls (although often gay) are definitely not her constituency.

Strongest statement I’ve heard from her about same-sex anything, so, even if it is woefully late, I’ll withhold my usual virtiol about Mary.

9. Pugzz says

Sorry Mary, you didn’t accidently get knocked up. You knew very well that your actions to concieve would have America’s spotlight. You know your father’s political voice on gays and gay marraige even if his personal beliefs are private. You have the chance to make a point that will help your fellow gay and lesbian brother’s and sisters. Your silence is cowardly and selfish. Do you not want your child to be born into a more accepteing world? I think not.

10. jack mack says

In this political climate the child itself may not be a political statement but choosing to have one as a lesbian is a political statement whether she intends for it to be or not. Even being an out gay person is a political statement. When you choose to act in opposition to current political popular opinion it’s a statement no matter how passive or unintentional it may be.

11. borut says

I wonder what it was like when Mary told her father about her plans about the baby. Maybe it went something like this:

MARY: Dad, I have an appointment at the fertility clinic next week. I’m getting inseminated.

DICK: Couldn’t you wait until the next presidential election. Then we won’t be in the limelight anymore and I will get less shit for it.

MARY: No, sorry. Heather and I desperately want a baby and my biological clock is ticking.

DICK: I could get a heart attack from all the stress, you know…

12. Rey says

Mary, if the ghost of Ruth Gordon approaches you with a cup of herbal tea, for the love of Satan, DRINK IT!

13. dcguy says

Given the obscene amount of money the Cheney’s have bilked the world out of, this child will be insulated from a lot of the pain that it’s parents/grandparents have no problem watching others endure. Grandpa, Grandma, and Mary are all spineless creatures.

PS Martin, If it’s satan’s spawn, aren’t the chances greater that it’s one of those already hatched by the breeder daughter?

14. Leland says

Now THIS is the perfect example of what the American Taliban have been screeching about for years now: gays wanting “special rights” for themselves. Well, at least two of them. The right to be an Iron Cross-wearing colonel in the Fourth Reich creation of the world in which she has to defend her own maternity, child, and relationship; the right to defend the pater horribilis behind the Fuhrer himself, and waltz out of the war crimes trials with a bouquet of roses and a sterling silver baby bottle from Tiffanys. Talk about SELF-interest. Where where ya, Mary, when untold numbers of other gay mothers and fathers have been terrorized by the courts and society over THEIR children, over THEIR relationships? How Cheneyian—the rules or law or decency or integrity don’t apply to US! Mary, Mary, quite contrary. Once a Coors-carrying, card-carrying cunt ALWAYS a Coors-carrying, card-carrying cunt it seems.

I’m THRILLED that she is with child, because the day will come when he/she will realize what a she-devil spawned him/her and turn on It and Mommy 2 and pay them the long overdue return on their decades-long investement in politically exploiting hatred and fear. Cootchie hootchie cooo!

15. Toto says

Errr I just want to punch this bitch in the face soo bad. I wanna say she doesnt deserve a baby but that seems too harsh.

Remember Mary, that baby is a blessing from god carried by sin… or soo a good majority of your party would like to believe.

Im soo glad she stands by her daddy dearest. God forbid he be asked a legitimate question about how he feels about his own daughter being verbally attacked. Why do I get the feeling he wouldnt have hesitated answering that question honestly if his daughter were hetero.

16. LightningLad says

Mary Cheney and her father obviously don’t want or like their personal lives being used as political footballs by either the left or the right or the news media.

Unfortunately that’s a rather naive stance to take when whether you like it or not gay and lesbian personal life choices are inherently political.

17. Giovanni says

That’s all well and good now that you have nothing left to lose Mary but having a baby, while possibly humanizing you, will not give you your soul back.

18. Daniel says

What you all fail to realize is that the Cheney’s are exempt from any sort of moral decency that the rest of us are expected to follow. It doesn’t matter if they support a completely anti-gay regime because they are THE CHENEYS!!!

19. Rey says

No gay person I’m aware of WANTS their sexuality to be political.

But precisely because of thugs like her Daddy, our collective sexuality IS political.

There is simply no argument against this fact.

20. anon says

The Cheneys are more western/mountain state libertarian than southern fundamentalist/evangelical, just as Bush is more eastern/wasp than southern. They play to the choir but are very cynical about it. I guess the primary anti-gay thing they’ve tried is the Federal Marriage Amendment, which is fairly nasty but never had a chance of passing. Meanwhile, the states are doing the same thing through popular referendums. Faith based initiatives are going to corrupt churches down the road with federal money in ways that we can only begin to imagine. This sort of cooption is a slippery slope.

21. Chapeau says

Mary and her father made the proverbial pact with satan for power and wealth. His administration laid prostrate at the feet of Dobson and his ilk to gain the levers of power knowing full well what Dobson and his minions stood for and would demand in return. Only the dark prince and his whore daughter do not want to be reminded that they sold their principles a long time ago.

The name Cheney ought to become synonymous with *traitor* just as Benedict Arnold. This family’s fortune has been made on war profiteering and the blood of human suffering. Their entire fortune is unclean. I hope Mary enjoys the blood money that insulates her from the harsh reality of the real world.

22. says

Essentially, Dick Cheney said to Wolf Blitzer, It’s nobody’s business what goes on in my daughter’s home. Which is the point gays and lesbians have been making for years. Glad Dick Cheney is finally catching up….

23. madmonkey says

BULL$@#+

She and her dad are trying to have it both ways. “It’s not a political statement” (when it is) and “You’re way over the line” (when it’s not).

When one makes a choice to become a public figure (especially an elected one), you forego any reasonable semblance of privacy.

24. Daniel says

Oh come on, expecting any sort of morality from the Cheneys is like expecting Queen Elizabeth to have pocket change.

25. Nikko says

Mary, what a F*****G hypocrite you are!! You and your father need a good bitchlap. Talk about gays being their own worst enemy, stupid politicl pigs. Shoot’em all, I say (politicians, that is.)

26. Da says

I don’t know her all that much, but I thought her statement was kinda ballsy..she stuck it to both parties. I approve.

Mary:

I would say even IF there was a difference, difference can be good. I would actually love to go back and be raised by gay parents, and see how my life and experiences would have turned out to be..maybe it would have been “different better”, or “different worse”, but who cares?..it’s the beauty of the journey.

27. FunMe says

If anyone ever fit to the teeth the word BITCH, it would be mary cheney. She is so removed from reality that she probably does not realize what a hateful bitch she is.

Her father “happens” to be straight.

She “happens” to be “lebanese”

And her daughter probably straight.

but they are all FREAKS of nature that are taking way too much space on this planet.

Have you heard the foul-mouth this bitch mary had when she was talking about Kerry?

If her father is an ass-hole … why does she have to be one, too!

POOR CHILD … it is going to grow up to be a asshole like dick … or a BITCH like mary!

These freaks of nature have got to just go away!

And don’t even get me started on her BITCH mother, too!

28. Hund says

GRRRRR! I read about Mary Chaney’s statements earlier today on CNN.com at work and about tossed the computer to the floor. The fact that her baby isn’t political is such crap. Her father helps spearhead the Republican Party’s hatred of homosexuals and she just acts like it’s nothing. This chick needs to wake up.

29. MCnNYC says

MARY COME ON!!
    Look she’s just looking to move some copies of her book off the garbage heap it tanked so bad…but the VIRGIN MARY here would not even have been on this panel for GLAMOUR MAGAZINE of all things if she herself wasn’t looking for some publicity for herself and her blessed child.

She should start saving her money for therapy for the kid with grandparents like this,

30. Spatula44 says

I’m glad she’s got a rational response to Dobson. But the idea that Blitzer was out of line in his questions for her father is ridiculous. It’s great that Cheney supports his daughter, but he’s the one who signed on to the Bush ticket and the GOP platform. If he wants to stop being asked questions that cast him as a hypocrite, he should stop behaving like one.

31. says

sche can not believe in gay rights and be gay. It isimpractical but possible. I think its gross cause she like what 37 does she know the risk for the child birth defects learning problems. She seems like a stereotype lesbian someone who hates men (except for her father in this case).