Gay Slurs | Melissa Etheridge | News | Radio

BigGayDeal.com

CAA Adds Hatemonger Michael Savage to its Client List

Creative Artists Agency (CAA) sent out a press release this week trumpeting their signing of talk show host Michael Savage (Savage Nation).

Savage_michaelSavage is a notorious homophobe, anti-semite, and racist whose show Savage Nation, reaches 8 million households weekly across America on a total of 370 radio stations.

Just this week Savage unleashed a hateful tirade against gays as he discussed Melissa Etheridge's Academy Awards win and her show of affection toward her partner Tammy Lynn Michaels. With regard to a post from earlier this morning, Savage's comments make Australian radio host John Laws' pillow biter comments sound like child's play. Savage:

"I don't like a woman married to a woman. It makes me want to puke. How's that? I want to vomit when I hear it...I want to puke when I hear about a woman married to a woman raising children because, frankly, I think that it's child abuse to do that to children without their permission. What does a child know? Ask them when they're 16 whether they want to be raised by two lesbians or two men. What are the two men doing behind the other wall? You think the children don't hear it?"

Etheridge_tammy_lynnWhen a caller phoned in to Savage's show asking what he should tell his children, who saw Etheridge give Michaels a kiss on national television, Savage responded:

"I will tell you how you answer it: You say there are people who are sexually confused, who think that they're men when they're women. They're not normal. Normal people are not like that. Normal people are like Mommy and Daddy. Mommy and Daddy are normal. There are people who are not normal, who have a confusion in their head, and they think they're a man even though they look like a woman. That's what you have to say to them otherwise the child will grow up confused."

Listen to Savage's entire hateful rant at Media Matters, where you can also find contact information for Michael Savage.

Rather than heralding the arrival of Savage to their client list, CAA should be hanging their heads in shame for supporting this hatemonger.

Creative Artists Agency Supports Hate-Speak, Homophobia and Anti-Semitism [boozhy]
Savage on gay marriage, parenting: "It makes me want to puke. ... I think it's child abuse" [media matters]

Comments

1. Since when does HATE speech equate to FREE speech??? Especially on the PUBLIC airwaves. I hope CAA in their greed for more $$$ lose clients and customers who don't want to be associated with perpetuating such incredible intolerance,hatred,stupidity and ugliness in our society.

Posted by: SFshawn | Mar 1, 2007 4:28:07 PM

2. Hey guys, if you allow me I'll post my comment from the similar story about the Aussie radio host.
    ______

I'm once again tempted to believe that an international debate/education on the concepts of "free speech" and "hate speech" needs to be done.

--"Free speech" is the ability to express onself freely, even if it's controversial and unpopular. And it's a basic human right which we all know...

--"Hate speech" imo is just a subgroup of free speech, and according to historycentral.com it's any "speech which is used to deliberately offend an individual; or racial, ethnic, religious or other group. Such speech generally seeks to condemn or dehumanize the individual or group; or express anger, hatred, violence or contempt toward them."

The words used by this radio host fit the definition of hate speech. just replace his insults at Carson with any gender or racial attribute and it's clear as day..

This said hate speech doesn't have to be made unlawful - but it's urgently primordial that it starts being called *by its name* in the media because this frequent confusion is sending the message to the population that it's ok for a radio host, a teacher, a politician, or any person in power & with influence towards a large audience to spew basically any kind of hateful remarks against a group of people, or racial, sexual orientation minority, and hide behind the "free speech" excuse.

Especially where there is PROFIT to be made for promoting hateful speech (monetary, or in political influence points) I think judges have to be a little more cautious in the wording of their rulings, because it's not just the gay community who is going to lose, it's everyone.

___________

Bottom line, I applaud your efforts to hold the companies promote this man accountable. If they do knowing in full conscience and can stand by their decisions, then fine. They just need to come out and say it.

And you too have the right to stand your ground. So keep writing!!!

Posted by: Da | Mar 1, 2007 4:49:22 PM

3. Pariah, I'll grant you that many liberals wear their hearts on their sleeves, but I'll take a weepy liberal over a bloodthirsty fascist any day. If weepy is the worst you can say about a liberal then that just illustrates my point.

It's interesting that you should bring up intelligence and logic in your description of the conservative viewpoint. You see, because from where I sit, I see a lot of non-thinking born-agains who mock science and allow their faith in Christ to take over their emotions. Logic is replaced by mindless zeal and conformity.

So why don't conservative Christians piss you off as much as liberals?

Posted by: mark m | Mar 1, 2007 5:18:02 PM

4. ^^^when a conservative says he hates liberals, what he is saying is he hates what most liberals are,which is women, blacks, gays.

most conservatives are bigots. but they rarely admit it publicly.

Posted by: JSC | Mar 1, 2007 5:22:21 PM

5. So why don't conservative Christians piss you off as much as liberals?

Posted by: mark m | Mar 1, 2007 5:18:02 PM

My guess is that Psychedelic Pariah is just a hypocritical moron. Or a troll who wants to piss off most of the readers here. Either way, he craves the cock like Savage, so it's ok. =P

Posted by: lolah | Mar 1, 2007 6:29:30 PM

6. The Radio dept hired him over the weekend - (newest dept there) and when the partners found out this morning - they FIRED him instantly on the spot - he is NOT repped by CAA !

Posted by: evans | Mar 1, 2007 7:45:32 PM

7. You made my point once again. How did you ever arrive at a conclusion that would lead you to ask this question: "So why don't conservative Christians piss you off as much as liberals?

Astonishing. I never ever said anything even remotely like that. The point I was trying to make was that we're all entitled to our views, whether they're popular with a certain lot or not.

So can you see why I think that most libs are kinda intellectually vapid?

And for Lolah, let's keep it from devolving into ad hominems, can we? I like to resort to cool words (you know, like all the really big ones you've probably never seen before) as opposed to words like "troll" or "moron."

And is saying that I crave cock supposed to be a perjorative? Hmm, think about the irony. Typical.

In the end, all we have are the cards we're dealt. Eh?

Posted by: Psychedelic Pariah | Mar 1, 2007 8:17:07 PM

8. "You made my point once again. How did you ever arrive at a conclusion that would lead you to ask this question: "So why don't conservative Christians piss you off as much as liberals?"

Nice bit of evasive maneuvering. You managed to avoid my question by questioning my reasoning.

I think I adequately demonstrated how many conservatives (not you obviously but MANY others) rely not on logic and intelligence but on emotional, hysterical faith-based reasoning.

So my question remains unanswered: Why do liberals with their emotional, intellectually vapid ways bother you more than some of your fellow logic-starved, science-hating conservatives...?

I'm still waiting :)

Posted by: mark m | Mar 1, 2007 8:24:56 PM

9. Mark M why are you trying to corner a fool? he'll never tell you the truth. he hates all the groups that are usually classified as liberal. blacks, women, gays. so what if he's in bed with about 20 million religious fanatics. at least most of them are white.

he'll never admit that of course.

Posted by: JSC | Mar 1, 2007 8:28:00 PM

10. Mark: Touche. The answer to your question is that both groups annoy me because they rely too heavily on feelings and on the assumption that others should feel as they do.

That fact that I'm a gay man does not mean that I have to fall in line with the group think so prevalent on this site. Savage is an idiot, but I defend his right to be that.

Group think, like the dictum put forth to boycott Rockstar. Why? Because the company is owned by Savage's son. What does that have to do with Savage? Must the son suffer for the sins of his father?

On the other hand, if their is sufficient legitimate evidence that the son should be boycotted, go forth.

It's that kind of hysteria that chaps my ass, thus, my tirade. I sincerely hope that I answered your question because I'm really NOT trying to evade the discussion. In fact, I welcome it. You speak well and don't appear prone to name-calling hystrionics like some of the other trogolodytes populating this cesspool.

Cheers. :)

Posted by: Psychedelic Pariah | Mar 1, 2007 9:01:59 PM

11. Pariah, thank you for conceding that people on both sides can be prone to hysterics. You know what? Some liberals chap my hide too. In fact, it's the rush to hysterics that often bothers me about the liberal mindset. That's why I try to stay a bit more centered than that... to ensure I am not ruling out a more logical viewpoint.

However, I'm not going to lie. I make a lot of decisions based on my own intuition and what my "heart" tells me. I see a lot of conservatives as cold, stubborn, and close-minded. Most of which are of the Born Again variety (of which I used to belong). I am much easier, however on Moderate Republicans, of which I have few negative things to say.

It just bothers me when a smart Republican falls into that "Liberals suck" mindset because those religious nuts in his party seem to me to be the greater threat.

But thank you for pointing out that people are not divided by parties and thank you also for keeping this about ideas and not getting personal.

Posted by: mark m | Mar 1, 2007 9:14:35 PM

12. Mark, yes, I agree. I might come off as one, but in RL I am not a cold, stubborn, close-minded republican. Conservative and Republican, yes, but there's a hell of a lot more to me (and to most, I'd dare say) than just my political views.

I enjoyed the banter with you. And hey, there's nothing wrong with a liberal who sucks. ;P

Posted by: Psychedelic Pariah | Mar 1, 2007 10:29:57 PM

13. Brothers and Sisters:

The tribe has spoken. Savage has been dropped by CAA, as reported by TMZ at

Don't ever f**k with the Velvet Mafia. We will cut you down. Oh we will.

Posted by: just sayin' | Mar 2, 2007 5:57:13 AM

14. scum-sucking vermin raahhhhh!!!!!!!

omg i cant stop laughing

Posted by: matt | Mar 5, 2007 8:08:09 PM

15. I used to work at CAA, they are a bunch of self-absorbed, arrogant gay snobs and hypocrites; seemingly nice on the surface but vicious, ruthless and demoralized/evil inside; I would say they rank few human grades below a common car salesman...one should see the way agents treat their assistants...power and money is their god; I had MARINES sticker on my truck (this was during the first weeks of war in Iraq); I put it up after noticing lame WAR IS NOT AN ANSWER sticker on one of their client's Porsche, Jag, Benz or BMW--do not remember anymore--in their garage... they fired my ass before the month has ended...yes, very tolerant and open minded people they are...one either fits into such crowd or doesn't; serve God or serve Satan...take your pick. I was glad not working there anymore, working there was a moral dilemma for me.

Posted by: martin | Mar 20, 2007 10:45:56 PM