Ken Hutcherson | Latvia | News | Religion

FBI Complaint Filed Over Pastor Ken Hutcherson's Latvia Claims

A bit of an update on the Ken Hutcherson story that sprang up yesterday.

HutchersonGay Seattle attorney Dave Coffman has filed a complaint with the FBI, asking them to investigate whether or not anti-gay pastor Hutcherson violated federal law by claiming to be a White House "special envoy" on a recent trip to Latvia.

Hutcherson claims that the director of the White House Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives Jay Hein appointed him a "special envoy" for the Latvia trip, where he appeared with Scott Lively, an anti-gay religious right 'Holocaust revisionist' who claims that homosexuals were the cause of the Holocaust, was sanctioned by the White House. The trip was the centerepiece of a four-day anti-gay "crisis conference" there.

According to Eli Sanders of Seattle paper The Stranger, who spoke to an agent at the FBI, the agency does investigate claims that someone is allegedly representing themselves as speaking for the White House:

I just spoke with Special Agent Fred Gutt of the Seattle FBI office. He said his office doesn’t comment on complaints unless they result in criminal charges. However, he spoke with me about section 912 of the federal criminal code:

“There are various federal laws regarding false impersonations that we do investigate, 912 being one of them,” Gutt told me. “That certainly would fall under our purview… This statute, if someone decided to represent themselves as a representative of the White House, could be pertinent.”

The Stranger also has an audio clip which Ivan Boryagin, a member of the Latvian church that Hutcherson was visiting, says is Hutcherson speaking on behalf of the United States. Hutcherson continues to claim that there is video proof that he was sent by the White House.

You may have missed...
Anti-Gay Pastor Claims White House Appointed Him 'Special Envoy' [tr]

Comments

1. I do not like religious zealots one bit. They are destructive. They are inhumane. They are delusional. They must be stopped.

Posted by: Jack! | Mar 21, 2007 6:41:53 PM

2. i shat say one fuvking asshole.

Posted by: Otto | Mar 21, 2007 7:28:32 PM

3. Jack! you couldn't have spoke truer words...

Posted by: Nick | Mar 21, 2007 8:38:30 PM

4. Somebody is going to jail, somebody is going to jail

Those mr spock eyebrows are sure going to cause him some trouble in jail

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Mar 21, 2007 8:42:56 PM

5. Mental health issue.

Posted by: ebsur | Mar 21, 2007 9:33:28 PM

6. I tend to believe him.

And as lunatic as this man sounds, he should be thanked because he's potentially exposing a connection between the current White House administration and extreme right, anti-gay groups abroad..

Battlecry christian group has been proven to have connections to leaders all the way to the white House by worldcantwait.org:

So it would not be a surprise to find out that some extreme right factions of the republican party are funding groups in European countries which further their cause internationally, while validating their own homophobic agenda at home.

Posted by: Da | Mar 21, 2007 10:17:14 PM

7. The Stranger newspaper reports that it has an audio clip which Ivan Boryagin, a member of the Latvian church that Hutcherson was visiting, says is Hutcherson speaking on behalf of the United States and to complain to the U.S. Embassy "about its alleged monetary support for gay rights groups." Hutcherson himself continues to claim that there is video proof that he was sent by the White House.

A White House spokeswoman denied any connection with Hutcherson. However, Hutcherson claims the White House is lying and told the Seattle Stranger that they should paper to find Hein, who met with him at the White House and in Seattle. Hutcherson claims there is a video of Hein, Hutcherson, and Ladyaev on the White House lawn talking to a Latvian news reporter.

Hutcherson told the paper: "I’m gonna prove that I had those meetings, I’m gonna prove that I got that title behind me, and I’m gonna show you the video that says I was coming to Latvia and the purpose why."

The March 21st edition of The Stranger reported that Hutcherson’s claims his full title bestowed upon him by the White House Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives, was: Special Envoy for Adoptions, Family Values, Religious Freedom, and Medical Relief.

The White House Spokeswoman Alyssa J. McLenning communicated to the paper that Hutcherson was never given any such title. McLenning wrote: "The White House Office of Faith-based and Community Initiatives did not give Hutcherson the title, “Special Envoy for Adoptions, Family Values, Religious Freedom, and Medical Relief. The White House did not give Hutcherson any other titles and did not coordinate with Hutcherson on his recent trip to Latvia."

Hutcherson claims to the paper that White House spokeswoman Alyssa J. McLenning is wrong, that he does have the title he claimed, and that it comes from a “partnership” he’s established with Jay Hein, Director of the White House Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives.

“You need to talk to Jay Hein, he’s the one that I’ve been talking to and the one that we are partnered with.”

Hutcherson claims to have met with Hein at least twice in person about this partnership, once in late 2006 in Seattle, and once in February at the White House. Hutcherson said of the title and the partnership and his work in Latvia, “In my meetings, I can represent as being with them [the Bush White House] and having the power I need to get things done.”

Hutcherson claims there is a video that was shot after a Feb. 8 2007 meeting at the White House between himself; Jay Hein, the director of the White House Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives; and Pastor Alexei Ladyaev of Latvia’s New Generation Church.

Hutcherson said this White House meeting was the second of two meetings he had with Hein about his plans in Latvia. The first meeting, according to Hutcherson, took place in Seattle on January 18 during a conference on faith-based initiatives attended by Hein.

“That was when he made his first commitment to me and said it was a done deal,” Hutcherson told me. Hutcherson describes the “done deal” as “our partnership”. Hutcherson claims requested the first meeting with Hein because “I just wanted Faith-Based to give me the power to do what I needed to do” and that "the Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives did just that". according to Hutcherson.

Hutcherson claims in the video from the second meeting (the one held on Feb. 8 in D.C.) the three men—Hutcherson, Hein, and Ladyaev—are standing on the White House lawn answering questions from a Latvian television reporter. Hutcherson claims the video will show that Hein met with him, knew of his new title, and approved of his mission to Latvia. Hutcherson told the Seattle Stranger newspaper "I’m gonna prove that I had those meetings, I’m gonna prove that I got that title behind me, and I’m gonna show you the video that says I was coming to Latvia and the purpose why."

Posted by: RJP3 | Mar 21, 2007 11:04:16 PM

8. Anyone who thinks this guy had a special relationship with the White House is nuts. He's just not trustworthy enough to be an "envoy" to anything. Secondly, this Faith-based-initiative stuff has got to go. You'd think a Democratic congress would put an end to this nonsense, but I haven't heard of anything. It's got to be the most corrupt and corrupting new program in years.

Posted by: anon | Mar 21, 2007 11:48:31 PM

9. Anon, unfortunately Congress can't do anything about the White House's Faith Based Initiative program. When President Tweedle Dumb first proposed the idea as a actual legislatively established Federal bureaucracy back in early 2001, the chances of getting it through Congress was quite slim as Democrats held control of the Senate and vowed to kill the proposal. Instead, President Bungle Everything chose to issue an executive order. Rather than establishing one Faith Based Office, Bush established individual Faith Based offices within each of the existing Federal Bureaus. In doing so, President Functionally Illiterate was able to sidestep Congressional oversight and fund his illegal federal handouts to his fundamentalist zealot supporters through the President's discretionary spending authority as the Chief Executive and Screw Up in Chief for the Military.

As for Ken Hutchinson, I hope he was misrepresenting himself as an appointed representative of the President and the White House. If he was impersonating or misrepresenting himself as an Official Foreign Diplomat or Special Envoy of the US Government and the White House, it's considered a class A felony punishable by up to 10 years in Federal Prison. Seeing that homophobic bastard in handcuffs, ankle restraints and an orange jumpsuit taking a "perp" walk out of the front doors of his Church and into the back of a waiting US Marshal's prisoner transport vehicle would make my year...

Posted by: Robert In WeHo | Mar 22, 2007 1:58:29 AM

10. Robert, your names for The Shrub are great. Do you have any more?

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Mar 22, 2007 5:15:50 AM

11. Mike, here's a few more:

President Grunts At Questions
    President Sour Frown
    President Lemon Head
    President Fool
    President Stick In The Ass
    President 'Cause I Said So
    President Lies-A-Lot
    President No Game, No Blame, No Shame
    President Gumbo

Posted by: Robert In WeHo | Mar 22, 2007 8:09:18 AM

12. Imagine this guy was telling the truth? The white house would be busted for actively promoting hate. As much as I can't believe it, I wouldn't put anything past Bush these days. Someone really should investigate if only to find out who's lying here.

Posted by: MT | Mar 22, 2007 8:28:42 AM

13. Why isn't this story getting any play on the major news stations/sites?

Posted by: Wayne | Mar 22, 2007 9:15:17 AM

14. ...mmmmm. If this is a "real" story, why is it that MSNBC, the New York Times, The LA Times, the SF Chronicle and the Washington Post have absolutely nothing about it or about the Rev H in their papers, web logs or anywhere else?? What is the Seattle Stranger anyway? Is it a gay rag??

Posted by: jtb | Mar 22, 2007 11:15:43 AM

15. Are they kidding?. Nothing is going to happened. The person involved is a BLACK. They can do anything they want in this country these days. Specially to hated groups like gays. Comm'on queens face it, we are hated more than blacks were ever hated. Nothing is going to happened.

Posted by: Oscar | Mar 23, 2007 12:14:44 AM

16. The christian Taliban are getting stronger, we need to stop them.

Posted by: Louie | Apr 16, 2007 2:30:21 AM