Gay Rights | Gay Slurs | Gay Youth | Iowa | News | Religion | Soulforce

Soulforce Bus Defaced with Gay Slurs in Iowa

Soulforcebus

Here's a bit of deja vu for you. Soulforce, the Christian gay activist group, recently began their Equality Ride 2007, setting out across America to visit 32 Christian colleges with policies that silence or exclude lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender students.

You may remember they did a similar ride last year, visiting universities and military academies across the country that discriminate against gays and lesbians.

One of the first stops this year was at Dordt College in Sioux Center, Iowa. According to Soulforce, Dordt is 'a school that counts 'sexual activity with someone of the same gender' as possible grounds for 'an employee's discharge or a student's dismissal.''"

The group reports: "The bus full of young adults, including former students of conservative Christian colleges, straight allies, and gay evangelical Christians, arrived in Sioux Center in the early evening. On the night of March 7th, three vehicles circled the hotel where the Equality Riders were staying, harassing the young adults who were staying inside. In the morning, anti-gay slurs were found written on the side of the bus, along with a hate-filled message on a piece of cardboard: 'God does not love feary f****'"

More photos can be found here. This incident is similar to one they experienced last year at Lee University in Cleveland, Tennessee when the Soulforce bus was vandalized with the words "Fags-mobile".

Gay, lesbian group harassed in Sioux Center [sioux city journal]

Comments

1. Isnt the word spelled "faery" or "fairie"? and why the hell cant anyone who draws immature graffiti ever learn how to draw a damn penis!?

Posted by: Toto | Mar 9, 2007 8:56:26 AM

2. LOL - "fags-mobile."

Posted by: Anita Woodward | Mar 9, 2007 9:14:34 AM

3. What an eloquently conceived bit of prose that was. I guess I thought college students would have better standards for their writing.

Posted by: Andy | Mar 9, 2007 9:15:18 AM

4. Oh my gosh, it's just like that scene in the film PRISCILLA QUEEN OF THE DESERT.

Posted by: phil | Mar 9, 2007 9:19:02 AM

5. God must be so proud of his little, hate-filled crusaders.

Posted by: Greg | Mar 9, 2007 10:06:47 AM

6. No one finds this surprising. As stated, last year the same thing was done at Lee University in Cleveland, TN. The percentage of the student body at Lee that is gay is higher than the general population. Living in nearby Chattanooga, I dated several of them. Small Christian rural colleges are the last refuge for many closeted young gay men thus resulting in tension on campus as well as when activisits show up. Great job Soul Force. Keep up the work!

Posted by: Paul | Mar 9, 2007 10:11:00 AM

7. Isn’t this is another example of that “war on Christianity”? Why aren’t Coulter, O’Reily, Hannity, and Malkin covering this? Isn’t their stance that it’s the evil liberals that are always doing hateful things to Christians? It looks like they cherry-pick who counts as a Christian the same way they cherry-pick the scriptures for their “morality”.

Posted by: Ibelievenluv | Mar 9, 2007 11:24:42 AM

8. This is a really good example of the moral and religious relativity that I was marinated in as a child and it shows how this relativism is passed on from generation to generation.

NUDITY (ie Janet Jackson’s two second, tasseled boob shot) = Moral depravity; child exposure to which would invariably lead to a lifetime of confusion, dysfunction and depravity, but;

Drawings of female, and erect male, genitals scrawled onto the side of a bus, intended to humiliate and intimidate peacefully demonstrating, but uppity Christian homosexuals = a Godly act in defense of morality. After all, you can’t even spell “peaceful homa-sek-shul demonstration” without a “demon”)

PROFANITY = Moral depravity; child exposure to which would invariably lead to a lifetime of confusion, dysfunction and depravity, but;

Use of “F*CK(S)” and “FEARY” [sic] to humiliate and intimidate uppity homosexuals = another Godly act in defense of morality.

“GOD IS LOVE” = universal message of truth, but;

“GOD DOESN’T LOVE GAY FEARY F*CK” [sic] = amendment necessary to limit the previously “universal” message of truth.

Passing out flyers calling for equality for GLBT people in Largo, FL to people who request them = arrestable offense requiring four large male police officers to subdue a 120 pound woman and haul her off to jail, but;

Defacing private property with vulgar and inflammatory graffiti intended to humiliate and intimidate uppity homosexuals = yet another Godly act in defense of morality.

See how this works. Coming from a background steeped in moral and religious relativity I’m all too familiar with how it works.

When I was a kid a tornado went through the center of my hometown in Mississippi. Among other things the twister totally destroyed the sanctuary of the Baptist Church where I and my family were members AND the only restaurant in town that served beer and wine with meals (our county had just gone semi-wet THAT year!). I can remember standing in the rubble of the church listening to people talking about what a blessing from God it was that no one was in the church at the time (on a Thursday night, what a MIRACLE!) and how God was testing the faith of our church and then hearing them, IN THE SAME BREATH, self-righteously proclaiming the wrath of God on the restaurant down the street (where no one was hurt either, a TRUE miracle since it was open at the time) and how IT was a clear message from the Creator that our county should be dry and free from the evils of beer and wine (it was still illegal to sell or serve liquor).

Even as a young boy I can remember thinking, “Am I the only one here who thinks this contorted reasoning is whacky?”

Sadly, in looking back, I think I was. More sadly still, truth be known, in that little town today, I probably still would be.

Posted by: Zeke | Mar 9, 2007 1:02:27 PM

9. Sorry Patrick in NYC, I didn't keep my pledge to limit the length of my comments very well did I?

Oh well, it may take a while to break old, bad habits. I just can't seem to limit a comment to 25 words or less. :)

Posted by: Zeke | Mar 9, 2007 1:10:05 PM

10. My friend, Dan, is riding on that bus right now. Please keep all of the Equality riders in your thoughts for a safe journey.

Go Dan!

Posted by: tekay | Mar 9, 2007 1:16:48 PM

11. I've had many a "feary fuck" in my day. isn't that when you've gone home with someone, had wild sex, then woken up in a fright (feary = fearful Right?) to realize it's not the guy you thought it was several hours earlier? It's also known as the Yum-Yuck Fuck.

Posted by: xlibris | Mar 9, 2007 1:21:51 PM

12. I think this SoulForce group is great. We all should support the wonderful work they are doing. Obviously, there's a need!

Posted by: John | Mar 9, 2007 2:08:34 PM

13. Paul is exactly right. I went to Baylor University in Waco, Texas and it was full of closet cases. 4 out of 11 of my pledge class was gay, my roomie was gay (and now married to a woman) and my best friends all came out after they left or graduated. The more conservative the school is the higher percentage of gays, trying to hide.

Same with churches, the more vocal they are against gays, the more gays you will find in the congregation (all closeted of course). Forget the gay bars, if you want to find a cheap thrill go find a trick at a Southern Baptist church.

Posted by: JMM | Mar 9, 2007 2:13:40 PM

14. Zeke, great job outlining the inconsistencies in the handling of morality issues by those calling themselves leaders of the Church.

This article needs to be forwarded to CNN, MSNBC and Fox!

Posted by: Da | Mar 9, 2007 2:57:32 PM

15. I support Soulforce and all the work they do. I wish them well.

Zeke you are right on in your comments.

Posted by: Jack! | Mar 9, 2007 4:22:50 PM

16. I wasn't aware 'God's Love' was reserved solely for bullies but maybe I've been deluding myself all these years.

Thank you to Christian Right militants for yet again showing everyone 'the Way'.

Twats.

Posted by: HellEmme | Mar 10, 2007 6:05:24 AM

17. Why is it that when Christians try to share their faith we are called 'Bible Thumpers' but when people who believe that just because it feels right to them, it is OK and everyone should see it that way come into a community that has a PRIVATE college that does not condone the 'alternate lifestyle' they are pushing, we are the ones with the problem! I saw this bus in town on Friday, and there was no way to tell who was on it - it looked just like any other charter bus that comes through town. Maybe you should look at the fingers still pointing back at you, and stop accusing us of picking on you! Some food for thought - "Romans 1:26-27 That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the NATURAL way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. And the men, instead of having moral sexual relationships with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with men and, as a result, suffered within themselves the penalty they so richly deserved." You want to believe your lifestyle is OK, fine, you will have to answer for that when you meet the Lord, but do not push it down our throats! It's WRONG!

Posted by: Praying for our country | Mar 10, 2007 6:31:24 PM

18. "Romans 1:26-27 That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the NATURAL way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. And the men, instead of having moral sexual relationships with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with men and, as a result, suffered within themselves the penalty they so richly deserved." You want to believe your lifestyle is OK, fine, you will have to answer for that when you meet the Lord, but do not push it down our throats! It's WRONG!

Posted by: Praying for our country | Mar 10, 2007 6:31:24 PM

Wow.... I'm almost at a loss for words on this one... you can really quote this and not feel like an idiot?

Let me ask you this…

What has god done lately? If you read the many stories and anecdotes in the bible the workings of god are everywhere.

For starters…he caused fire and brimstone to rain down and destroy two cities…. Turned someone to salt because she had the audacity to look back.

He flooded the world and supposedly killed every except for a family of people on a leaky boat… then helped them multiply and repopulate the planet (which would mean that they were fucking their cousins for many, many years… I though god didn’t like incest?)

After he reigned down great afflictions upon the INNOCENT people of Egypt just so he could teach the Pharaoh a thing or two.

When is the last time that god anything remotely like this? Its been what, well over 2000 years?

Is God on vacation? Or is he busy watching reality T.V.?

Has he given up on us humans? If what was done in the past (pre flood) was so bad that God needed to KILL everyone that he supposedly loves unconditionally, then hell we are well over due for another world wiping. Don’t you agree?

I’m sure in your heart of hearts, that if God came back form Vegas and started smiting all of the people with whom you don’t agree (gays, Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, Shin Tao, Confucians, and a boat load of others) Would be happy… that is just sick. Your god has killed millions and many more were wrongly killed in his name, and he did jack shit about it. Some God you got.

So in the end (after my long tirade) I just want you to know that I’m about as afraid of your vacant Lord as the next sensible person intelligent person.

P.S. I would like to let it be known that I truly do not have anything against people of faith. Although it may come off by things that were said above I think that man has a spiritual side that should be neutered and expressed. As you can tell I just agree with the Christian view of it. I was raised and born again Christian home for most of life. I found that faith and most of the Christian faiths that I have learned about to be fear mongers. And that is just wrong.

Posted by: Nick | Mar 10, 2007 10:21:02 PM