Great Britain | News | Photography | Tony Blair

BigGayDeal.com

Tony Blair's 'Obscene Gesture' Revealed by News Agency

Tony_blair_gesture_1

A photograph taken of English Prime Minister Tony Blair (top row, center) while he was at Oxford in the 70's has been in circulation for a while — in a more sanitized state. The photograph had an "obscene gesture" excised from it to protect the PM's image.

Father Nicholas, a contemporary of Blair's at Oxford who originally provided the photo to a news agency with the prerequisite that the gesture be taken out, said he wasn't surprised that the original image has finally surfaced.

He added: "I suppose the BBC lawyers would be a bit worried if I was to suggest he was drunk in that photo. On the other hand, it's probably more defamatory to say he was sober."

You may have missed...
Stephen Fry and Tony Blair Chat About Little Britain [tr]
Blair: Catholic Adoption Agencies Can't Discriminate Against Gays [tr]
Blair's 'Santa's Ghetto' Portrait [tr]

Comments

1. I'm not sure I get the gesture. Is he making like he's jerking off, or is this 'rude gesture' only rude to the higher-level British sensibilities?

Posted by: MikeinSanJose | Mar 2, 2007 3:09:07 PM

2. I'm more offended by the Peter Frampton hair-do.

Posted by: mikey | Mar 2, 2007 3:23:40 PM

3. And this is news because? Um...I think we have all done dumb shit as young people. I'm sure when he took that photo he had no clue he would be prime minister.

Posted by: Matt | Mar 2, 2007 3:24:03 PM

4. The jerk off gesture is normally directed at someone i.e. "you're a wanker!" It's tantamount to sticking two fingers up at the camera with added va-va-voom...

Posted by: atheist | Mar 2, 2007 3:35:21 PM

5. Oh how Brideshead Revisted - NOT.

Posted by: just sayin' | Mar 2, 2007 3:40:59 PM

6. Those hats were clearly stolen from the theatre department, which was apparently mounting a production of The Music Man.

Posted by: Brian | Mar 2, 2007 3:48:22 PM

7. It's Monty Python's "Sam Peckinpah's Salad Days." In the next shot Tony Blair's offending arm is ripped off and several people's heads explode.

Posted by: doug | Mar 2, 2007 4:08:25 PM

8. My God! How disgusting. He should be removed from office and run out of the country. Simply disgraceful. My delicate sensibilities are offended.

Posted by: ousslander | Mar 2, 2007 4:35:31 PM

9. I wish the media would be as determined to dig up pictures of W snorting lines in college.

Posted by: Myackie | Mar 2, 2007 5:12:22 PM

10. That's the gesture he should have made to Bush in 2002 when told the US was going to invade Iraq and wanted Britain to join in.

Posted by: John C | Mar 2, 2007 5:44:11 PM

11. The seated gentleman on the right end of the front row looks much like Lawrence Llewellyn-Bowen (sp?), who has regaled us all with horrendous interior decorating on "Changing Rooms".

I watch too much cable.

Posted by: Brian | Mar 2, 2007 6:00:22 PM

12. if my elementary playground circa mid-1960's central florida childhood memory serves me right, it is "shooting a wong". were i pullled up that one from i don't know. i can only assume it deals with a vagina and masterbation, both of which at that time in my life were sort of vague

Posted by: titus | Mar 2, 2007 6:23:21 PM

13. What gesture? The lack of grooming and horrendous hairstyles are truly frightening. You'd never catch Prince Charles looking so ratty. And those glasses? Come on now. When was this? 1910?

Posted by: Patrick | Mar 4, 2007 11:53:28 PM

14. Tony Blair looked remarkable shaggable back in the 1970s.

Posted by: Puddy Katz | Sep 15, 2007 10:49:23 AM

15. That's not Tony Blair, that's John Barrowman in a wig! This must have been from that missing Doctor Who episode, "Captain Jack goes to Oxford."

Posted by: nf63 | Nov 8, 2007 11:12:30 PM