TowleTech

TowleTech V.46

Riaaboycott_1 TowleTech V.32The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) has launched a fresh attack on illegal music downloads by contacting hundreds of college students and officially accusing them of breaking the law. The students are asked to "turn themselves in" at P2PLawsuits.com in order to avoid going to court and in exchange for a reduction in fines. A USC law professor tells NPR that students should know that they should probably not simply "turn themselves in" in response to what is basically a cease-and-desist letter.

Fed up with the RIAA's aggressive tactics, Gizmodo is promoting March as Boycott the RIAA Month. This means making a statement by not purchasing any music in the month of March that is distributed by labels represented by the RIAA. Gizmodo says that they want the RIAA to stop the lawsuits on "normal people," to stop insisting on DRM software for digital music sold online, and to stop trying to "stifling innovation and control the internet." (Much, much more information at the Gizmodo page).

Franz_1 TowleTech V.32EA has put its entire library of video game soundtracks on iTunes, opening up access to what is already a substantial outlet for music. According to EA's press release, "EA games have helped launch the careers of such artists as Good Charlotte, Jet, Franz Ferdinand, Scissor Sisters, Arctic Monkeys and Fabolous just to name a few."

TowleTech V.32A survey released by a Korean research group predicts that the internet will be used to transmit fragrances as part of the multi-media data we interact with online. Becks in the locker room? Hot. Steve-o making a fart joke? No thanks!

TowleTech V.32Homeland Security is moving forward with its plan to make states convert state-issued licenses to "internal U.S. passports" with the release of official protocols this week. Said ACLU attorney Tim Sparapani "Real ID creates the largest single database about U.S. people that has ever been created. This is the people who bring you long lines at the DMV marrying the people at DHS who brought us much of the Katrina mess. It's a marriage we need to break up."

2_4 TowleTech V.32YouTube is adding more and more "official" content every day, it seems, with new partnerships with major television networks that could potentially turn YouTube into a free cable-like service. The BBC has announced a partnership with the popular video-sharing network, and has already begun uploading news and entertainment clips on its BBC and BBC Worldwide YouTube channels.

YouTube has also set up channels for all of the U.S. Presidential candidates, allowing them to upload their official videos to the site. The dip into politics for the viral media portal is dubbed YouChoose '08.

TowleTech V.32From the Rumor Mill: will we soon see a Microsoft Zune Phone?

Daniel Williford is our TowleTech correspondent.
You can visit him at his blog, Until Today...

Comments

1. Gizmodo sound like idiots

I mean if people are breaking the 'law' then why would they be surprized by RIAA's tatics

It's like getting shocked if you get booked for speeding, you don't boycott driving, you simply drive slower

Posted by: steve | Mar 3, 2007 4:44:18 AM

2. I Found Free PlayBoy Girls, you need view this.
    Absolutely FREE PlayBoy & Penthouse:

Posted by: goblin | Mar 3, 2007 5:21:59 AM

3. @steve

It's not so much about the RIAA going after people who are illegally downloading music but their tactics in doing so. They've also pulled some asshole moves in how they operate too.

If you're really that surprised my Gizmodo's move, then I'm pretty sure you choose not to read anything about why they're boycotting the RIAA, which makes you an idiot for posting about something you know nothing about.

Posted by: Seann | Mar 3, 2007 11:13:57 AM

4. zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: sean | Mar 3, 2007 12:03:37 PM

5. Expecting a letter from Riaa are you Sean?

fool

Posted by: steve | Mar 3, 2007 9:02:21 PM

6. My bet is we will see microsoft release some type of phone. Not sure that it will be called the Zune phone though lol.

Posted by: Myspace Generators | Mar 4, 2007 11:14:30 AM

7. "Expecting a letter from Riaa are you Sean?"

Um...my name is Sean(n). That's two n's. Get it right.

And while I wouldn't be completely surprised if I was to receive a friendly call from the RIAA, does that really matter? The RIAA is still a bunch of asshats.

"Don't call me an idiot when people are being targeted for breaking the law, no matter how stupid you think that certain law is"

Did I ever say the law was stupid? If people are breaking the law, they should be punished. It's how the RIAA is going about punishing people and their act in general that causes anger to be direct towards them.

"fool"

No matter how true it might be, it's not entirely nice to refer to yourself as a fool. No matter how true it might be.

Posted by: Seann | Mar 4, 2007 7:55:23 PM

8. Well SEAN(N)

'It's how the RIAA is going about punishing people and their act in general that causes anger to be direct towards them.'

That is the most moronic thing to say...if someone breaking the law then why should they deserve any type of sympathy? Even if RIAA was using the most dirty tatics in going after these people with law suites that could make them lose their house or give them a criminal record...i say tough shit. I don't understand why you're going to bother to whinge for them.

'No matter how true it might be, it's not entirely nice to refer to yourself as a fool. No matter how true it might be'

Did you honestly give me the adult version of 'I know you are but what am i?'

Well that just proves you are not even worthy of discussing this any further. Go find something better to waste your time on SEAN(N)!!!!!

Posted by: steve | Mar 5, 2007 2:28:14 AM

9. "if someone breaking the law then why should they deserve any type of sympathy?"

Maybe I didn't word my statement correctly (or you just didn't understand).

If someone breaks the law they should be punished (last time I checked it was innocent till proven guilty, but whatevs).

"Even if RIAA was using the most dirty tatics in going after these people with law suites that could make them lose their house or give them a criminal record...i say tough shit."

If they're using dirty tactics, they're not exactly taking the legal route, right? Since I assume from your defense of the RIAA and all the "dirty tactics" they might* (do) use, there is nothing that they could possible do that would be wrong in your sympathetic eyes. I mean they are just a poor corporation fighting against mothers, widows, dead people, and kids (all who they've tried to sue before). Just as long as people can't download music (which the RIAA hordes the profits from anyway) you can sleep tight.

"I don't understand why you're going to bother to whinge for them."

Did you miss this statement?
    -----> "If people are breaking the law, they should be punished. It's how the RIAA is going about punishing people and their act in general that causes anger to be direct towards them."

The RIAA does far more than act like asshats when they sue people, who I'm sure are the most evil people on the face of the Earth, they influence policy that does more harm than good.

I really don't understand the hardon that you have for the RIAA.

"Go find something better to waste your time on SEAN(N)!!!!!"

The 5 exclamation marks seem to portray, my friend, that you're pretty invested in this back and forth.

Posted by: Seann | Mar 5, 2007 1:53:14 PM

10. Even though my post makes it seem like I care, I don't. I swear!

Posted by: Seann | Mar 5, 2007 1:54:15 PM

11. SEAN(N) i think you had better drop this before you fall head over heels for me. Seriously the way you seem to carry on suggest this is the only excitment in your life.

Good luck...oh and i won't reply any further since it seems you just can't live without having the last word

Posted by: steve | Mar 6, 2007 4:58:20 AM

12. SEAN(N) i think you had better drop this before you fall head over heels for me. Seriously the way you seem to carry on suggest this is the only excitment in your life.

Posted by: steve | Mar 6, 2007 5:03:04 AM