Architecture | Barry Diller | New York | News

BigGayDeal.com

Getting Interactive with Frank Gehry and Barry Diller's IAC

IacI blogged about Frank Gehry's headquarters for Barry Diller's InterActive Corp. while the building was going up. Now it's completed. Someone with a video camera and a key to the castle has now offered us a closer look...

Click small photo to enlarge...

You may have missed...
Frank Gehry: Half Dressed [tr]
Barry Diller's Bathroom No Place to Panic [tr]

Comments

1. Wow, that's excruciatingly boring.

Posted by: Tom | Apr 6, 2007 3:27:52 PM

2. Looks like hell. A typical vorporate building with wavy lines that jacked up the cost and probably will make maintenance more complicated. Gehry's usual curvy metal things would have been more interesting (tho. trite at this point), although impractical for offices.

Posted by: Rich | Apr 6, 2007 3:36:14 PM

3. I just don't like the Igloo look from the outside. As I ride my bicycle past it I can't help but feel like someone dumped a large piece of garbage encased in white fiberglass on the side of the road. Not unlike most of the web properties represented inside.

Sorry about that Frank and Barry.

Posted by: Blog God | Apr 6, 2007 3:39:46 PM

4. souless,with nothing that speaks of manhattan - san fernando valley maybe.
    this thing is shrieking I'M SPECIAL so loudly
    one wants to cover one's ears.

Posted by: bob | Apr 6, 2007 3:59:53 PM

5. I agree with Bob.

What an utterly bland result from such a conspicuous effort to stand out.

Posted by: nuflux | Apr 6, 2007 4:21:18 PM

6. certainly not one of his stellar efforts... and the inside is beyond a yawn. he obviously didn't embrace this project.

Posted by: A.J. | Apr 6, 2007 5:12:46 PM

7. Now, when I feel badly about not working, I can look at what some working people have to put up with and feel better. The Woolworth Building it ain't.

Posted by: JT | Apr 6, 2007 5:43:29 PM

8. i was surprised to see the roxy still there, i thought it was being torn down shortly after the closing night?

and this video was definately after the closing of night.

Posted by: poodle | Apr 6, 2007 6:40:36 PM

9. Poodle's make (say) the most interesting shit. NOT!

Posted by: Pete | Apr 6, 2007 7:08:50 PM

10. Gehry is long past his prime. His trio of buildings in Duesseldorf, Germany were breathtaking, drawing from German expressionism. The Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao was impressive, if bloated. Everything he's done since has been overblown and uninspired.

I don't think his work will last the ages; too incongruent with the surrounding environment. For a real architect genius, check out Santiago Calatrava.

Posted by: doomed to be fabulous | Apr 6, 2007 9:25:46 PM

11. Oh my....that thing is supposed to look like sails? It looks like the mastermind lost his inspiration. If there are Razzie Awards for architecture I think I know who is going to win the big prize.

Posted by: excy | Apr 7, 2007 12:42:59 AM

12. Thanks for the inside tour. I am at Chelsea Piers a lot, so I've been watching this thing under construction for months now. It was great to see what the inside looks like, but it was disappointing. I'm not sure what I was expecting exactly, but I a little more pizzazz would have been nice.

Posted by: Jeff | Apr 7, 2007 10:24:33 AM

13. doomed-you are correct. If you want to see inspiration, check out santiago's drawings for the new Atlanta Symphony Hall. www.atlantasymphony.org

Posted by: otto | Apr 7, 2007 11:22:26 AM

14. This building has been the location of recurring nightmares of mine over the past few weeks. God knows why.

It's good to see that it's not so scary. The office furniture is a bit boring. I like the pointillist fades on the windows from the outside. However, I'm not sure I like them from inside the building.

Posted by: Tiger | Apr 7, 2007 12:28:32 PM

15. all I can say-it seems they tried too hard.

Posted by: otto | Apr 7, 2007 12:35:39 PM

16. which way to radiology?

Posted by: lukee | Apr 7, 2007 3:21:59 PM