American Idol | I'm Not Gay | News | Sanjaya Malakar

BigGayDeal.com

Sanjaya Malakar: I'm Not Gay, I Just Understand Women

Sanjaya

Swoon-inspiring American Idol phenom Sanjaya explains to People why he inspires such a strong reaction from females:

Sanjaya_malakar"I've always gotten along with girls better because I was raised by women. I got teased in school because people figured I must be gay because I understand women. I think that's why guys didn't like me – because I got along with girls so well. When I went up to girls they would give me a hug and a kiss on the cheek like I was their gay friend. But I was the straight guy that understood them...I had a girlfriend but she became clingy, and I didn't want to get into a really serious relationship because I was 16. I just wanted to date and have fun"

Sanjaya was roasted once again on last night's Idol Gives Back telethon following Jack Black's amusing performance of "Kiss from a Rose", clipped here below...

You may have missed...
American Idol's Blake Lewis Loses His Shirt [tr]
Clay Aiken on Mission to Afghanistan [tr]
Former Idol Contestant Mario Vazquez: I'm Not Gay [tr]
Idol's Chris Richardson and Blake Lewis Get Cozy [tr]

Comments

1. Mark M--

It's not "trendy" to say straight men can have effeminate mannerisms. It's true. Just as it's true that gay men can be masculine.

If we're going to play the anecdotal evidence game, I know at least two effeminite men who are straight. I'm sure you'll just say that they "haven't come to terms with their homosexuality yet," but I'm talking about very evolved, progressive straight men who, if they liked cock, would be happily slurping away. It happens.

If we can't stop stereotyping ourselves, what hope is there that we can convince the rest of the world to stop stereotyping us?

Posted by: Dan E | Apr 26, 2007 1:49:59 PM

2. Dan E, I agree, it certainly does happen. I know a couple of feminine straight men myself. One is a VERY close friend and I know 100% that he is 100% straight and 100% comfortable with his sexuality and 100% comfortable with gay people. He often jokes that he and I somehow had our sexualities switched at birth. He is one of THE coolest and one of THE best MEN I have ever known. A lot of uber-masculine men I know could learn a thing or two about what it means to be a man. I know I have learned a lot from him.

I think we as gay people are too quick to perpetuate our own stereotypes. I take GREAT offense when people say, "I can't believe you're gay", or "you don't look/act gay". Boy that pisses me off. They think I'll be flattered but I find those statements to be incredibly ignorant and insulting.

Posted by: Zeke | Apr 26, 2007 2:08:44 PM

3. "Every effeminate boy I went to school with -- the ones who always said they were just sensitive and they "understood women" turned out to be a homosexual man.

Every last one."

So Mark M., your experience is therefore universal and applies to all situations?

Posted by: James | Apr 26, 2007 2:37:35 PM

4. But if you had to bet on it....

Posted by: anon | Apr 26, 2007 2:45:44 PM

5. Give him time, Ladies. He is only 17. I know when I was 17 I was understood women too. Eventually, I wanted to understand men and never went back.

But seriously, being 17, thrown into the media and having your sexuality questioned can't be that easy. Especially if you are not out to yourself yet. Give 'em a break.

Posted by: Labia Minora-Majora | Apr 26, 2007 3:28:24 PM

6. I'm gay. I have absolutely no insight into the female mind. None whatsoever.

Posted by: Steve | Apr 26, 2007 3:58:57 PM

7. he is an INDIVIDUAL. stop generalizing you nobs (not all of you..a selected amount)

Posted by: nob | Apr 26, 2007 7:42:32 PM

8. All poodles are dogs but not all dogs are poodles. I don't see why this is a problem and I don't believe that the gay equivalent is a bad thing. Of course it's possible for a straight man to be effeminate and not gay. I just don't believe it's as common as others here maintain.

Posted by: mark m | Apr 26, 2007 10:42:59 PM

9. All poodles are dogs but not all dogs are poodles. I don't see why this is a problem and I don't believe that the gay equivalent is a bad thing. Of course it's possible for a straight man to be effeminate and not gay. I just don't believe it's as common as others here maintain.

Posted by: mark m | Apr 26, 2007 10:43:19 PM

10. People, People you are still watching this waste of air time. Singers there are few and far between. Fuck, Simon-everybody has who of course were stoned at the time and he was on the list of last call. Paula, poor thing hasn't worked in years. Ryan needed a job, thank god Ben Mulroney isn't on your show, he's wasting space here in Canada.

Posted by: Dr. Pat | Apr 27, 2007 6:05:37 AM

11. In all the media and magazines, people have been sayin "Sanjaya is gay" and I was like"No he is not" Even people at school say it. Finally now people know Sanjaya is not gay and who cares if he was? He can at least sing. I am a HUGE FANJAYA and I am happy to know now that all Sanjaya haters and the media are wrong. I knew it from the start he was not gay. Thanks for the article.

Posted by: Finally | Apr 27, 2007 2:24:56 PM

12. See blacklys.com - The Black Google that i have ever seen

They have a firefox Search Extension too.. Interesting..

More over, You can rename the main display to anything you like. Cool huh?

Posted by: 1David | Jul 6, 2007 10:43:39 AM