Arizona | Colorado | Mike Jones | News | Phoenix | Religion | Ted Haggard

BigGayDeal.com

Exodus: Ted Haggard Moves to Arizona for "Fresh Start"

Ted "Completely Heterosexual" Haggard moved out of Colorado on Wednesday, to set up home in Phoenix, Arizona. It had been rumored that Haggard and his wife would be moving to Iowa or Missouri.

Ted_haggardThe Rev. H.B. London of Haggard's New Life Church told the Associated Press he was glad that the deposed pastor was gone: "When he moved out of town today, there was a kind of relief on the part of the church that life can get back to normal. For the Haggards, it is the beginning of a huge new chapter. It's a brand new start for them, the beginning of a new beginning." Attendance at New Life Church has reportedly fallen 20% since the Haggard scandal began.

That new beginning will apparently include joining another church. This time it's Phoenix First Assembly of God, the church where televangelist Jim Bakker found himself after doing time in federal prison. The church leader, Rev. Tommy Barnett, reportedly told his congregation that Haggard was on his way.

A life change is in store for him, London told the AP: "Once you were in charge of a megachurch and a mega-staff and making mega-decisions, now your main decision is where you're going to school, where to eat and what you're going to do on your day off."

And a day off is a fabulous time for a massage.

Comments

1. I thought he was moving to Missouri.

He could just as well move to Narnia if he thinks moving is going to help him escape his sexual orientation.

Ted, punkin, where ever you go your orientation will be going with you. You'll never be able to run fast enough or move far enough to escape it.

Posted by: Zeke | Apr 19, 2007 11:44:18 AM

2. Right on, Zeke. You took the words outta my mouth.

Posted by: Jonathon | Apr 19, 2007 11:51:02 AM

3. Agreed.

As for his former church "Getting back to normal." I think we all know what "normal" to them is.

Posted by: mark m | Apr 19, 2007 12:04:59 PM

4. I'm guessing the Mrs. is going to be keeping a tight rein on Teddy. Though too tight a rein on Teddy will likely foster desires of being dominated again by someone, let's say, with a penis!

Posted by: Bill | Apr 19, 2007 1:12:27 PM

5. Some gay hooker in Phoenix is about to hit it big.

Posted by: sam | Apr 19, 2007 1:57:04 PM

6. "Me and my shadow!"

Posted by: anon | Apr 19, 2007 2:02:59 PM

7. isnt phoenix the new gay capital of the southwest these days?

Posted by: adam | Apr 19, 2007 2:05:27 PM

8. Let's raise a toast to the fact that the Boot Camp for Homohate, AKA his former church, is down in membership 20% and donations 10%.

Posted by: Leland | Apr 19, 2007 2:34:36 PM

9. Poor Ted. He's chosen to stay in the closet. Poor Mrs. Haggard. She's colluding with a lie. I believe Mike Jones about Ted (he feels his former john's certainly gay).

Posted by: shindo | Apr 19, 2007 3:11:19 PM

10. I'm sure his children are so happy and proud!

Posted by: W=WIMP | Apr 19, 2007 3:18:12 PM

11. I think he's one of the Others.

Posted by: Chux | Apr 19, 2007 6:51:44 PM

12. What is it that interferes with forgiving this man?

The fact that he lied and tried to wriggle out of the truth?

The fact that he was a hypocrite for publicly advocating one thing while secretly dallying in what he condemned others for (throwing rocks in his glass house)?

Or is it the fact that instead of honestly trying to put his life either back together with his family, or assembling a new life on different terms with himself and them, he instead scurries back into a life of what will be duplicity?

If you come clean to God, and live honestly, what does it matter what everyone else thinks? But to walk into another congregation and foist anything less--really, truly--is a sin.

Posted by: publius100 | Apr 19, 2007 8:11:26 PM

13. Good Lord! Now he has to move to my city!!! Maybe I'll see him "out" at the bars here. I think he will like Charlies!

Posted by: Mark | Apr 19, 2007 8:38:26 PM

14. PUBLIUS100, I haven't seen any comment here that has mentioned forgiving or not forgiving Haggard so I’m not sure who your questions are directed to.

I'm not sure if you meant your questions to be rhetorical or not, but for those who might be withholding forgiveness, I’m sure one or more of the reasons you listed are as good as any.

Personally, I usually forgive people when they ask for my forgiveness. I don’t think Haggard has never asked the gay community for forgiveness for the harm that his anti-gay “ministry”, his anti-gay lobbying and his hypocrisy have caused. As far as I know, he’s never given any indication that he feels that he has done anything to gay people for which he owes an apology.

I can’t speak for others, but for me, THAT would be the greatest thing that would interfere with my forgiving him.

As for cheating on his wife, lying to his congregation, using illegal drugs and seeing a prostitute; he didn’t do any of those things to us so it’s not our place to forgive him for those transgressions. That’s between him, his family, his church and his community and they’re the only people who can forgive him on those counts.

Does that make some sense?

Posted by: Zeke | Apr 19, 2007 11:07:25 PM

15. If this isn't a wake-up call to how much fundy christians hate gays, I don't know what is.

When will right-wing religious zealots stop being tolerated?

Posted by: Louie | Apr 20, 2007 4:51:54 AM

16. Amen Zeke. I assume the reason he has not tried to make ammends to the Gay Community is because he is one of THOSE men.

You know the ones... not into "the gay scene", not into femmes or fatties, DISCREET... in other words, they have sex with men but they are NOT gay.

And I see their point. I've said before, being gay is not about sexual positions. Gay is about loving someone of your own sex in a romantic, physical way and sharing your life with that person. So in the respect Haggard is NOT gay.

But we all know by the general definition, he most certainly is. This "I sleep with men, but I'm not gay" is BULLSHIT.

Posted by: mark m | Apr 20, 2007 10:47:16 AM

17. In my coming out group for men in the same but less public situation, there was a tone of sympathy for him. I think I have an understanding of his confusion, his desire to go back, the pain of his family's struggle to accept, process and deal with his choices. It evokes a real sympathy, and sadness to see it all play out again.

The personal nightmare he's walking through must be horrendous: he can't see the continued pain and "sinning" he's doing by not being himself. He's hurting himself, his family and the communities he comes in contact with.

It makes me ask me: what am I doing in a similar vein? How often have I ignored me and caused so much pain? How would me being me make everything truer, better?

What could I possibly do to help us all?

Posted by: Jack | Apr 21, 2007 11:51:55 AM

18. Jack, that was a kind, compassionate and heartfelt post with compelling and thought provoking questions.

Quite beautiful.

Posted by: Zeke | Apr 21, 2007 3:32:16 PM

19. Jack, that was a kind, compassionate and thoughtful post with compelling and thought provoking questions.

Posted by: Zeke | Apr 21, 2007 3:35:04 PM