Report: James McGreevey Taking Steps to be Episcopal Priest

Former New Jersey Governor James McGreevey has begun the process of becoming an Episcopal priest and plans to enter a seminary program this fall, the New Jersey Star-Ledger reports:

Mcgreevey_priest“McGreevey, who often described himself as a devout Catholic while in public office, was officially received into the Episcopal religion on Sunday, at St. Bartholomew’s Church in Manhattan, and is now part of the church’s ‘discernment’ phase that usually precedes any seminary work, said the Rev. Kevin Bean, vicar at St. Bartholomew. ‘This process that he’s in right now, is not going to be some snap of the finger, overnight process. That will not happen. That’s not how it works. He knows that,’ Bean said. ‘And so at the parish level, and at the diocesan level, everyone knows that this is a process that … intentionally is deliberate. You don’t enter into it unadviseably.'”

McGreevey was not available for comment, according to the paper, but friends of McGreevey say the news comes as no surprise.

Said David France, the co-author of McGreevey’s memoir: “His spiritual life has always been central to who he is. From the time he was a kid, he thought about going into Catholic seminary a number of times. The idea of going into the Episcopal seminary has been in his mind for at least a couple of years.”

Comments

1. Chux says

Wouldnt he be better suited joining a road company of CATS? He always has the look of someone just dying to burst out in song. And he has the name for it… McGreevey – The Clerical Cat.

2. Ed says

and then….one time, at seminary….I realized….

I AM A JEWISH AMERICAN!

Oy-vay!

3. thin mint says

ARGH! JUST STOP BEING IN THE NEWS YOU AWFUL PUBLICITY-SEEKING WHORE, YOU ARE LIKE A MIDDLE-AGED PARIS HILTON STOP IT JUST STOP IT JUST STOP IT STOP EXISTING NOW.

4. patrick nyc says

Unless I missed the memo, I thought that ones spiritual life brought you closer to God and ones being, which one would think would be foremost in being honest with yourself and God.

McSleezy has done neither, and it seems he continues down a path of ‘dancing as fast as I can’. A term my shrink used often. While I do not think therapy is for everyone, or is an end all to ones problems, it did turn my life around and it would be a start for McSleezy. Afterwards he can then go into the nunnery.

5. Scott says

McGreevey – The Clerical Cat… OK, that is funny.

“Are you gay when you’re born? Men you need in the dark!
    Dare you look at his thing? Would you sit on his bone?”

OK – I’ll stop…

6. Bill says

On one hand I say: this guy needs to spend a few months out in the woods contemplating what he wants to be when he grows the #$%&! up.

And on the other hand I say: why should we care?

There are far more important things going on in the world than what this tool does with his life.

7. Freddie says

“And we have the first photos! Actually, just a little imaginary shot we created of future Father Jim.”

Andy since when do you use the royal “we” and photoshop pics like that blister on the side of the gay community, Perez Hilton?

This kind of bullying is unlike you.

8. Rich says

The Catholic clerfy make the news, but there are plenty of screwed-up Protestant clergy and they must be desperate if they want someone this mixed-up joining their seminary. I used to work in mental health and my patients included an Episcopal priest child molester and Southern Baptist minister who was into exposing himself and peeping. Religions seem very willing to invest moral authority in very immature people.

9. says

If I could just put some sort of “ignore” filter on all incoming news on this guy. Please can he just not be in the news anymore! What a moronic attention-whore…

10. Eric says

I’d like to propose smaller and/or fewer posts about this egomaniac/embarrassment.

11. Ted B. (Charging Rhino) says

Oh for the love of GOD, when will this nightmare cease?……**gag** Just when you thought that his being a Professor of Ethics was farce-enough, we get dragged-deeper into his insanity. Somebody make it stop!!

Can the Episcopalians excommunicate him BEFORE he joins? Or a preventive, First-Strike exorcism?

12. tc says

can someone tell me about the man,I think he married?..what happens to him?….I could care less about anything else

13. anon says

Episcopal priests can marry. It appears he has some serious psychological problems. He needs lots of counciling.

14. Richard says

This guy is bonkers . . . really crazy. Obviously he craves the limelight . . . I suggest Bellevue as the next stop. A logical, well balanced and contrite person, after realizing his political and personal fiasco’s, would LAY LOW. This guy is sociopathic, and thinks that reinventing himself — in the harsh light of the media — is the answer. He’s crackers. Does he really think he’s qualified to minister to others spiritually??? He was a lightweight, incompetent governor — his coming out was one ridiculous flail after another — his divorce and custody battle is pathetic — the guy is a mess. But, obviously he feels he has another drama to play in, and wants the world to bear witness. Yuck!

15. feral says

I am totally surprised that no one is speaking out in defense of his choice to follow his bliss wherever it takes him (even if he is a lying, narcissistic crackpot who only came out of the closet when threatened by what was essentially a pending legal action).

Oops. I think I just answered my own question.

Okay, new question: when did we all become so jaded?

16. RJ says

When I saw the headline, I did a double take and wondered if it was April 1st.

17. stephen says

Don’t get too lonely there Johnosahon.

Ever since this guy was on Oprah with his boyfriend (who cried over what a wonderful man he is) i knew he was just seeking the lime light. As someone else said…a middle aged man version of Paris Hilton.

18. Bill says

Can we say bipolar in the manic phase. When will this man take a rest and think about what he is doing?

19. sam says

That darn Gene Robinson has been getting too much attention! Mover over girl, there’s a new Gay American Episcopalian in town!

20. 24play says

When McGreevey finally marries Reichen THEN can we never hear about either one ever again?

Please?

21. tommy says

Put him on a boat with britney and paris and send them to the “Lost” island.

22. Dave says

His reputation and political career is in ruins..I’m glad to see him doing something positive…good boy