Education | Jerry Falwell | News | Poland | Television

Tinky Winky Under Investigation by Polish Authorities

Jerry Falwell may be gone but the controversy surrounding purple, purse-carrying Teletubbie Tinky Winky lives on in Poland.

Tinkywinky_2A government-appointed childrens rights watchdog there, Ewa Sowinska, says she's asked psychologists to look into the character's sexuality: "I noticed (Tinky Winky) has a lady's purse, but I didn't realize he's a boy. At first I thought the purse would be a burden for this Teletubby ... Later I learned that this may have a homosexual undertone."

It's just the latest in a series of anti-gay statements and actions by members of Poland's government.

In March, a Polish Education Minister said teachers thought to be "promoting homosexuality" would be fired from their jobs, a mandate supported by Polish Prime Minister Jaroslaw Kacyzinski, who responded to the announcement, saying, "Nobody is limiting gay rights in Poland. However, if we're talking about not having homosexual propaganda in Polish schools, I fully agree with those who feel this way. Such propaganda should not be in schools; it definitely doesn't serve youth well. It's not in the interest of any society to increase the number of homosexuals — that's obvious."

However, at least one parliament speaker, Ludwig Dorn, warned Sowinska of making comments "that may turn her department into a laughing stock."

Comments

1. Were that not so utterly pathetic and ridiculous, it'd be hilarious and almost well-timed comedy. Oh well, it IS Poland after all.

I'm glad to see there's at least one (hopefully more) voice of reason in the Polish Parliament. Besides, REAAAALLY now, what self-respecting purple homo wouldn't have his own designer manbag by now anyway? YIKES!

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | May 29, 2007 10:40:56 AM

2. As an African-American, I'm careful about not stereotyping any other racial/ethnic group...not at loud. But for the sake of your international reputation, come on Poland.

700 years ago, you were the only European country where Jews could live safely, now your persecuting the frickin' teletubbies.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 29, 2007 10:52:10 AM

3. Russia...Poland...fucking hell. These and other post-Soviet countries are really mounting the last stand of the idiots. I hope the hate is contained and doesn't spread to other European nations.

Where do they get these national leaders and legislators, for crying out loud? Pandering criminals...

Posted by: becks07 | May 29, 2007 10:58:33 AM

4. Is this for real??!!

At least now I have a better understanding of how backwards the US must appear to those in more progressive countries, because right now Poland seems like a frickin idiot! Sad. And my heritage is 3/4 Polish.

Wasn't the Teletubbies controversy over like a decade ago?...

Posted by: Gregg | May 29, 2007 11:30:25 AM

5. Why am I even surprised by this? This is Poland we re talking about.The government is being held by a party of right wing extremists so it s to be expected that this so called polish bitch,whose place belongs more to the loony bin,is taking such ridiculous measures.
    Poland is just one of the eastern european countries where homophobia is rampant and promoted.The difference is that ,like Russia,bigotry is consented by the government in the name of morality.My question is,whose morality?

Posted by: Bitchy Stella | May 29, 2007 12:05:38 PM

6. Until they know if Tinky's "purse" is actually a Prada handbag, prejudgment of sexual orientation seems ill advised.

Posted by: KJ | May 29, 2007 12:12:06 PM

7. C'mon, give Poland some credit. The purse IS a homosexual, reference, after all. I'm homosexual and I always have a purse with me when I wear a purple fat suit.

Doesn't every gay man do this?

Posted by: mark m | May 29, 2007 1:18:02 PM

8. Kj lmfao at that one but straight guys can have man purses my belief and im sticking to it

Posted by: sasha | May 29, 2007 1:19:29 PM

9. Seriously, who has time to do everything? Economy? Trade? Healthcare? No! We have to get this fictional gay children's television character sorted out first, but fast!...Priorities people, priorities!
    Are we suprised at this, from the country that gave us John Paul and his infinite wisdom on human sexuality?

Posted by: DP | May 29, 2007 5:22:08 PM

10. Well Poland caved! They finally saw reason after being mocked by the whole world. The Washington Post OFFbeat blog had a hilarious 2 part series on it today following the government's ridiculous call to use psycholigical investigators through tonight's retreat by the so-called watch dog group. Hard to imagine there could be any more Polish jokes out there but when a country is 8 years behind Jerry Falwell, that really says something!

Posted by: Travis O'Donnell | May 29, 2007 7:23:54 PM

11. If he was gay, he'd have shoes to match the bag.

Posted by: Mike Mooney | May 29, 2007 10:46:37 PM