Ann Coulter | Election 2008 | Elizabeth Edwards | John Edwards | News

Coulter's Hate Speech a Financial Windfall for Edwards Campaign

Ann Coulter's hate speech is raising lots of dough for John Edwards, according to the Associated Press:

Silent_ill_towleroad2"When Coulter appeared Tuesday on MSNBC's 'Hardball,' Elizabeth Edwards called in to ask Coulter to stop making personal attacks on her husband. The exchanged deteriorated, with Coulter shouting over Mrs. Edwards and demanding that the campaign stop using her name to raise money if they want her to stop personal attacks. Response to the controversy was so large that it repeatedly crashed the server for MSNBC's political blog Wednesday.

...Mrs. Edwards followed up with an e-mail to supporters Wednesday morning that included a clip of their exchange and a donation request. The campaign also sent a text message to supporters' cell phones, asking them to call to hear a recording of the clip and an appeal from Mrs. Edwards to donate. The campaign said it raised more money this week than from any previous e-mail campaign but declined to give a total."

Maybe that will shut up her up. Unlikely.

You may have missed...
Elizabeth Edwards to Ann Coulter: Stop the Personal Attacks [tr]

Comments

1. As odious as I find Coulter, I thought she had a good point when she asked why she was being criticized for saying she hoped a terrorist would kill John Edwards, yet Bill Maher made the same tasteless remark about Dick Cheney yet got a free ride.

Wierdly, Bill Maher and Ann Coulter once dated

Posted by: alan | Jun 28, 2007 4:03:36 PM

2. .. but isn't this exactly what coulter said ?? that edwards uses her on his site to raise money. she knows it, they know it, i know it .. what's the big news here ?

Posted by: el polacko | Jun 28, 2007 4:20:29 PM

3. Cognitive dissonance is alive and well here at Towleroad. Keep in mind that Edwards would be torn to shreds here for his views on same-sex marriage were he a Republican.

Posted by: Edwards NAF | Jun 28, 2007 4:38:07 PM

4. ALAN: difference is that Bill Maher never got no free ride... he got fired for saying it !!

Posted by: A.J. | Jun 28, 2007 4:45:55 PM

5. I soooo want Kathy Griffin to debate Ann Coulter on Larry King!

Posted by: Pugzz | Jun 28, 2007 5:03:17 PM

6. Bill Maher did NOT say he hoped Cheney would be killed by terrorists. Just because Ann Coulter tells you something doesn't make it true, Alan. What actually happened was, when that bomb went off near Dick in Afghanistan, there was a story about it on Huffington Post. Some of the COMMENTERS on that site said something about wishing it had hit Cheney. Arianna Huffington, who runs the site, had those comments deleted. What Bill Maher said was, can we be FOR free speech and yet delete comments on websites like that? That's all. It was not an endorsement of what the commenters said. It was not hateful toward ANYONE (Huffington, commenters, or Cheney). It was just a question.

That is also NOT what he got fired for saying. When he was on ABC, right after 9/11, lots of people had been calling the hijackers "cowards". Per Wikipedia:

"ABC decided not to renew Maher's contract for Politically Incorrect in 2002 after he made a controversial on-air remark Sept 17 2001,[3] in which he, along with guest conservative political commentator Dinesh D'Souza, said, 'We have been the cowards lobbing cruise missiles from 2,000 miles away. That's cowardly. Staying in the airplane when it hits the building, say what you want about it, it's not cowardly. Stupid maybe, but not cowardly.'

Obscured in all the controversy was the fact that D'Souza brought up the topic first: the transcript published on the Politically Incorrect page on the ABC-TV website showed that Maher's controversial remark was actually a repeating of what D'Souza had said a few moments before."

Posted by: rumor patrol | Jun 28, 2007 5:16:00 PM

7. "Edwards NAF"—you clearly have no more understanding of what "cognitive dissonance" means than you do the Repugnant Party. Just keep sticking your stinky ass in the air for them to dry fuck. Higher. Just a little higher.

Posted by: Leland | Jun 28, 2007 5:26:42 PM

8. A tip of the chapeau to NGLTF for this most recent comparison of Dem and Repug candidates' positions on various gay-related issues:

Posted by: Leland | Jun 28, 2007 5:40:18 PM

9. Bill lost his gig on ABC more for the fallout from the Ted Koppel contract renewal fiasco than for his remarks, which were just convenient cover. Someone had to pay for Ted's outsized ego and they cut costs by ridding themselves of Bill, who made the latenight schedule too "topical" and not "hip" like the Tonight Show et al, coming on as he did after the totally unhip/uncool Nightline. ABC had been itching to ravamp their latenight to match CBS and NBC for years, but Ted wouldn't go away, so they replaced Bill with ManShow maven Kimmel and cut Nightline to a half-hour. When Ted left they reduced Nightline to a mini 60 Minutes format in an attempt to kill the ratings and provide a slot for a comedian to take over at some point.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Jun 28, 2007 6:22:40 PM

10. Maher's exact quote on his show on March 3rd 2007 about the failed Cheney assassination attempt was that:

"I have zero doubt that if Dick Cheney was not in power, people wouldn’t be dying needlessly tomorrow." followed by, "I’m just saying if he did die, other people, more people would live. That’s a fact."

To be fair to Rumor Patrol, we can debate at length whether such a statement is meaner or baser than Ann Coulter's more bald statement about terrorists and John Edwards, and there are certainly semantic differences here that aren't trivial.

But Maher also defends Coulter's right to say whatever she wants.

I wonder if he doesn't have his cake and eat it too.

I think it's possible to defend Free Speech in principle, while expressing something more judgemental that Maher does here.

Posted by: alan | Jun 28, 2007 7:59:13 PM

11. Reality check for the terminally stupid. There in't any Republican who is presently running who is as progressive on the gay issues of our rights to marry or civil unions, etc as the worse of the Democrats. So fuck off with the fantasy land shit that you make up to justify how you vote. At least come honest with your stuff.

Posted by: akaison | Jun 28, 2007 10:02:17 PM

12. And by the way, while we are at it. Asking someone to not say something isn't taking away their right say whatever stupid thing they want to say. It's asking for civility. The difference for thoe of you who are terminally ignorant is that in the case of free speech impediments- its forced- and in the case of civlity it's the speakers choice. No one ever said that with free speech doesn't come responsiblity or the right of others to denounce what you said. With your right to mouth off Ann comes the right of others to say you are lacking in basic civility. Course, I would just called you a horse face media whore in a shabby black cocktail dress and have been done with it, but Mrs Edwards is a better person than me.

Posted by: akaison | Jun 28, 2007 10:07:23 PM

13. Check the transcript Alan, don't rely on freaking Newsbusters, which is no better a source than Coulter:

MAHER: All right, but, seriously, if this isn't China, shouldn't you be able to say that? Why did Arianna have to - my girlfriend, I love her - but why did she take that off right away?

[BARNEY] FRANK: [overlapping] Bill, Bill, first of all, you know, it's clearly not China. You shouldn't trivialize democracy. The fact that we are talking about if this was China, we couldn't do it. And I don't think we ought to sort of make this kind of comparison. It's one thing to say that the administration made a stupid and unfair thing with the - with the soldiers. It's another saying that makes us China. That's just not sensible.

As far as the HuffingtonPost is concerned, I gather she decided, as the person who runs this, that she didn't want to be associated with it. I think that's her right. People are free to say whatever they want to say for her. I think the person in charge of the forum can say, "You know what? I don't want to be associated with that. Say it somewhere else."

[JOE] SCARBOROUGH: Well, and not only that, if she had left it up, she would have opened herself up to attack. She took it down immediately. She was still attacked by people that took the hate language and tried to make it stick to her. And obviously, she's trying to build to site where you can have reasoned debate. And it's probably not in her best interests to allow that to stay there.

[JOHN] RIDLEY: Yeah, I don't think it's about having to take it off. It's actually trying to be responsible and say, look, you can have a discourse and dialogue and say - it's one thing to say you hate Dick Cheney-

SCARBOROUGH: Right.

RIDLEY: [overlapping]-which sort of applies to his politics. It's another thing to say, "I'm sorry he didn't die in an explosion." And I think that-

MAHER: But - but, you should be able to say it.

[crosstalk]

RIDLEY: [overlapping] You can't use any language-

FRANK: [overlapping] Because it's her forum!

RIDLEY: [overlapping] No, it's not. You cannot have language that incites violence.

FRANK: [overlapping] Excuse me, Bill, can I ask you a question? Do you decide what the topics are for this show?

MAHER: Yeah, I decide the topics. They don't go there. [laughter] And I-

FRANK: [overlapping] But you - you exercise control over the show-

FRANK: [overlapping]-the way she does with her blog.

MAHER: [overlapping] But I have zero doubt that if Dick Cheney was not in power, people wouldn't be dying needlessly tomorrow. [applause]

RIDLEY: Okay, but-[voices overlap under applause]

SCARBOROUGH: But, let's talk - let's talk about your show for a second, very quickly. If somebody on this panel said they wished that Dick Cheney had been blown up, and you didn't say-

FRANK: I think he did. [laughter]

SCARBOROUGH: Okay, did you say--?

****MAHER: No. No, I quoted that.****

FRANK: You don't? Oh, you don't believe that?

MAHER: No, I'm just saying that if he did die-

SCARBOROUGH: [laughter] Okay, but if - oh, let's just say-

MAHER: [overlapping]-other people - more people would live. That's a fact.

SCARBOROUGH: Okay, then - but, let's put it this way then. If somebody came on here and said that they wished all abortion clinics had been blown up-

MAHER: Right.

SCARBOROUGH: [overlapping]-and you didn't step forward and say, "I disassociate myself with those remarks," and it just floats out there in the transcripts, then you're going to be connected with those words. Arianna Huffington has every right to say, "I don't want to be associated with this hate language."

MAHER: Right.

SCARBOROUGH: "I'm going to take it down from my site so right-wing talk show hosts aren't going to try to wrap those words around me.

FRANK: And you can say it on your own blog. You can say it elsewhere. [voices overlap]

SCARBOROUGH: And you'd do the same thing.

MAHER: Okay.

FRANK: You can say it on your own Internet.

RIDLEY: Can't she - can't these individuals express themselves without going to the furthest extremes? I mean, here's my thing. If you can actually express what you're going to say-

SCARBOROUGH: No.

RIDLEY: [overlapping]-well, obviously, those individuals can't. But, what Arianna wants to do - and as disclosure, I blog on Huffington - I think what she wants to do is actually to try to have some responsibility in the blogosphere.

MAHER: Okay, I want to show you a little clip from Dick Cheney a second, but first I want to just say, here was Dick Cheney's quote today. He said, "Like it or not, the enemy we face in the war on terror has made Iraq the primary front in that war." Yeah, they made Iraq the primary - is that not through the looking glass?

Okay, anyway, a lot of people talked about what happened over there in Afghanistan with Dick Cheney almost getting blown up. Not a lot of people noticed what he was traveling in. Look at the picture of this-[slide of airplane]-this is the plane. It's called the "Spirit of Strom Thurmond." [audience reacts] That's the plane Dick Cheney flies around in.

RIDLEY: I take back what I said maybe about wanting him to die. I'm sorry.
    ------------------------

For anyone looking to yell "Gotcha!", that last bit from John was sarcasm. But see how nicely they debated their nuanced ideas and those ideas were clearly NOT what Coulter and other wingnuts would have people believe?

Posted by: rumor patrol | Jun 29, 2007 12:52:31 AM