Books | Film | Jim Carrey | News | Playing Gay

Jim Carrey to Play Gay Inmate in I Love You Phillip Morris

Carrey will play Steven Russell, a real-life gay convict currently serving a 144 year prison sentence in Texas, in I Love you Phillip Morris, based on the Steve McVicker book of the same name.

CarreyVariety reports: "Based on a book by Houston Chronicle crime reporter Steve McVicker, the fact-based film casts Carrey as Steven Russell, a married father whose exploits landed him in the Texas criminal justice system. He fell madly in love with his cellmate, who eventually was set free, which led Russell to escape from Texas prisons four times. Script has some of the dark edges of 'Bad Santa' but is grounded by the affable and lovesick character of Russell. Project was pitched to financiers as 'Catch Me if You Can' meets 'Brokeback Mountain.' It went to Besson, who recently declared an intention to take Europacorp public with an initial offering in Paris. Lazar bought the book while it was in galleys four years ago and enlisted Ficarra and Requa, who wrote 'Cats & Dogs' for the producer. Carrey was the first actor to whom he showed it. The timing of the film hasn't yet been resolved. Like many stars, Carrey is plotting back-to-back films that can be completed before the SAG contract expires next summer."

Glenn Ficarra and John Requa, who wrote Bad Santa, will be first time directors on the project.

Carrey lights up 'Phillip Morris' [variety]
I Love You Phillip Morris: A True Story of Life, Love, & Prison Breaks [amazon]
Steven Jay Russell [wikipedia]

Comments

1. "Carrey was the first actor to whom he showed it?" Carrey?! What, have they run out of actors?

Posted by: peterparker | Jun 4, 2007 5:53:10 PM

2. Hmm. The story sounds interesting, but it also reminds me of the hot relationship from the HBO show Oz between the characters Beecher and Keller. MmM. If it's anything like that storyline I'll be seeing it for sure. :)

Posted by: BlackSilv3R | Jun 4, 2007 7:31:01 PM

3. ""Carrey was the first actor to whom he showed it?" Carrey?! What, have they run out of actors?"

Have you seen "Truman Show" or "Eternal Sunshine"? He's a very good actor with the right material. The story sounds really interesting-TX crime stories always are.

Posted by: Charles | Jun 4, 2007 8:09:08 PM

4. Jim Carey planning gay...do we really need that??? Like that's a good thing? Dear G~d help us!

Posted by: Bojo | Jun 4, 2007 8:09:18 PM

5. Jesus Christ, are gay men only interesting when they are closeted, married to women, with kids in tow?

There seems to be a grand total of two ways that gays are found interesting in mainstream America today: as extremely stereotyped caricatures fawning over straight men (Will and Grace, Queer Eye for the Straight Guy etc.) or non stereotypical men who are invariably closeted, married and or on the Down Low using men for their sexual jollies behind the scenes (Brokeback Mountain, The DL Chronicles etc.).

Here!'s DL Chronicles, advertised at the top of this page just shows that these are the portrayals that sell, even within the gay community. I seriously can’t understand why this appeals to anyone other than anti-gay people who love to use these portrayals to make their cases that we are scary, untrustworthy, sneaky, selfish, a threat to families or silly, shallow and unable to have REAL relationships with anyone OTHER than with people of the OPPOSITE sex.

Posted by: Zeke | Jun 4, 2007 8:39:21 PM

6. They screwed it up by giving this project to Jim Carey. Why Jim Carey?. Jim Carey playing gay, another bad caricature of gay people. This is certainly one movie I will not spend my money to go to see. More homophobic material from "good old Hollywood". F**k all of you Hollywood.

Posted by: Oscar | Jun 4, 2007 9:33:19 PM

7. They screwed it up by giving this project to Jim Carey. Why Jim Carey?. Jim Carey playing gay, another bad caricature of gay people. This is certainly one movie I will not spend my money to go to see. More homophobic material from "good old Hollywood". F**k all of you Hollywood.

Posted by: Oscar | Jun 4, 2007 9:34:32 PM

8. "Can someone please explain to me why so many in our community find the closet, and those who live there, so appealing?"

Not appealing,but we've all been in the closet before. For differing amounts of time of course. Maybe it's all gay men have in common with each other.

As annoying as those portrayals are, I dont think gay themed movies like "Slutty Summer" are an alternative I am interested in either.

Posted by: Charles | Jun 4, 2007 10:12:27 PM

9. Well--alrighty--then! I'm sure he'll give this his normal subtle treatment.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Jun 4, 2007 10:41:44 PM

10. Bojo...I don't argue that Jim Carrey is talented as a comedic actor...but he'll turn this movie into a farce when it sounds as though it could've been a Bonnie and Clyde type love story...and for the record I *hated* "Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind".

Posted by: peterparker | Jun 5, 2007 12:55:50 AM

11. Jim Carrey playing a Real-Life Gay Inmate? Well, Alrighty then~

Posted by: Benjamin | Jun 5, 2007 5:16:38 AM

12. Carrey can be an effective actor, whether going over the top or underplaying as he did so beautifully in ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND. This premise sounds kind of gimmicky, though. I can't say I'm all that interested, but who knows?

Posted by: Roscoe | Jun 5, 2007 7:36:31 AM

13. peter parker... i usually find your comments swift, sharp, and right-on... and now knowing i'm not the only one to dislike Eternal Sunshine just glues me closer to you.

if Jim Carrey turned down the role, would it then have been offered to Will Farrell to highlight his serious side ?

Posted by: A.J. | Jun 5, 2007 8:42:07 AM

14. I agree that Jim Carey can be brilliant when given the right material and when we can put aside our preconceived views of him. It's hard not to see him as funny but Eternal Sunshine... brilliant!

I find the story to be interesting because it goes to show that sexuality isn't fixed and people can fall in love given many different circumstances.

By the way I have viewed the DL Chronicles on Here! TV and I loved the show because it is not what you think it is. It does not provide the same view of closeted men sneaking around on their wives. It actually tells very heartfelt stories that do more good for our community than you probably imagine. It goes refreshingly way beyond that stereotype. I highly recommend the show to anyone... and it's still sexy.

I think all of these stories are relevant and the good thing is that we have a diverse number of stories being told from Gay Rainbow Flag Waving Guys, Flamboyant Drag Queens, Closeted Cow Boys, DL Men, Lesbians, Bi-Sexuals, Transgender Men and Women, even Gay Mormons. LOL. Some of these may seem stereotypical but do you not know someone who fits the profile? You have a choice now, turn the dial.

Posted by: L.F | Jun 5, 2007 2:35:01 PM

15. jim carrey bbothers me he was a shitty comedy actor he can't play straight and he is.

Posted by: sasha | Jun 5, 2007 7:45:47 PM

16. I worked on the film with JC yesterday. I was one of the arresting Harris County Deputies. I worked with him for an hour and he was great! He was very personable. He ALSO was very into the role. He seemed to know a lot about the character and wanted to be as realistic as possible. Just to let you girls know who are getting in a bunch because things aren't PERFECT.

Posted by: jjjiggawatt | May 12, 2008 5:45:54 PM