Brazil | Crime | Gay Pride | News | Sao Paulo

BigGayDeal.com

Murder, Mayhem Reported at Sao Paulo's Massive Gay Pride

Spgay_2

Sao Paulo held the world's largest gay pride over the weekend, attracting more than three million people.

Sao_pauloAccording to Reuters, Nelson Matias Pereira, president of the parade told the official news agency Agencia Brasil: "We want people to address machismo, racism and homophobia ... which still exists in Brazil."

Made in Brazil has some excellent photos of the parade, but notes that a murder took place in the Jardins area of the city: "French Gregor Erwan Landovar was stabbed in the abdomen with a knife by a group of three or four young men right after leaving popular gay restaurant Ritz. He was not robbed, meaning it was most likely a hate crime (there is a recent rise in the numbers of hate crimes against gay men in the area). Mr. Landovar died at the hospital, and no suspects have been arrested yet...the newspapers made no reference to the fact that the victim was at a gay restaurant, and that the incident happened on the day of the biggest pride parade in the world."

Made in Brazil also reports that the largest number of thefts and crimes in the history of the parade were reported and said that "it has become a street Carnival with people falling all over the place because of drugs and alcohol abuse."

Reuters says that 900 police were on hand to control the crowds, though that doesn't seem like much considering the massive crowd on hand.

On a more upbeat note, these triplets showed up to keep folks entertained. More shots at QueerClick (linked page sfw but site nsfw).

Triplets

Comments

1. It's always sad when someone is murdered as in this story. I have a question? I'm confused on these hate crime classifications of murder. Isn't murder murder regardless of the intent? Aren't most murders done in hate? I just don't see what the point is to add this on to it. Why aren't all murders regardless of intent given the maximum penalty?

Posted by: Matt | Jun 12, 2007 8:52:39 AM

2. Also...not to take away from the story but in the last pic are those gay triplets?

Posted by: Matt | Jun 12, 2007 8:59:49 AM

3. Matt, No, not all murders are hate crimes. Often murder is based on opportunity. A hate crime, like this appears to be, wasn't done with the intent to steal some position. If nothing was stolen, then the intent was to strike fear into the minds of others that fit the victim's real or perceived trait (ie sexual orientation). In other words, to keep the others in their place. It's a crime not aimed solely at an individual, but instead at an entire group of people through violence against a smaller set. I agree with you that murder is murder, but the intent of most hate crimes laws is to acknowledge that these are acts meant to terrorize as well as victimize.

Posted by: dcguy | Jun 12, 2007 9:25:08 AM

4. Okay DCGUY. I guess I got confused at the part of the story where MADE IN BRAZIL was reporting that this year was the largest number of thefts and crimes. I assumed they killed him and got scared and didn't finish robbing him. My mistake.

Posted by: Matt | Jun 12, 2007 9:35:14 AM

5. woah, triplets! There are some more NSFW shots and a video of these guys...seems pretty, uh, incestual to me! I'll let it slide this time, though...

Posted by: brob | Jun 12, 2007 9:50:14 AM

6. Matt, even without the hate crime designation there are already long established differences in the way a homicide is prosecuted.

We have had first degree murder, second degree murder, third degree murder, and several degrees of manslaughter for ages and few people have taken issue with it, understanding that the motivations, circumstances and contributing factors ARE important in determining punishment. Even the hate crime designation, for race, religion and national origin, has been on the federal books since 1969 and with very little fuss. It's not until now, with the proposal to add sexual orientation (NOT GLBT people specifically, as has been misreported) did anyone complain, EVEN THOUGH gay people are extremely over represented as victims of hate violence when compared to our percentage of the general population.

Only now have people started with the "isn't ALL crime a hate crime" meme.

Unfortunately the talking point promoted by homophobes has been so often repeated that even gay people, by the droves, have fallen for it.

Posted by: Zeke | Jun 12, 2007 11:25:32 AM

7. I think it should be noted that MADE IN BRAZIL is a very, very elitist blog. I live in Brazil and everything this blogger recommends here is for "gente bonita" (a disgusting euphemism for rich and white people). Trust me, there is nothing that classist Brazilians hate more than mixing with the commoners. (Plus, he loves everything done by The Week, which has to be the most annoying and narcistic gay club around!) So, I would listen to some other opinions about the parade before judging such a massive event.

Personally, I had a great time and neither I nor any of my friends had any problems. Yes, the parade was much more crowded than last year, but an event that suddenly grows by 1 million people is bound to have its hiccups. Of course the media says the same thing every year (too much violence, indecent exposure, etc) because it would kill them to say anything good about so many homosexuals in one place. People need to stop exagerating.

Regarding the murder, it is definitely a tragedy, and it's very scary that it happened in such a popular place. However, calling it a hate crime is premature (it could have been done by hitmen). Either way, this restaurant was in no way related to the parade, and it's both ludicrous and misleading to suggest that the parade organizers are in any way responsible for what happened.

Posted by: Michael | Jun 12, 2007 11:57:27 AM

8. I think it should be noted that MADE IN BRAZIL is a very, very elitist blog. I live in Brazil and everything this blogger recommends here is for "gente bonita" (a disgusting euphemism for rich and white people). Trust me, there is nothing that classist Brazilians hate more than mixing with the commoners. (Plus, he loves everything done by The Week, which has to be the most annoying and narcistic gay club around!) So, I would listen to some other opinions about the parade before judging such a massive event.

Posted by: Michael | Jun 12, 2007 11:58:47 AM

9. Brazilian men are some of the hottest around. Thanks for the naked pix of those triplets Andy...DAMMMMN

Posted by: ShawnSF | Jun 12, 2007 12:44:38 PM

10. Those triplets -
    Oh.
    My.
    God.

Posted by: Gregg | Jun 12, 2007 1:06:36 PM

11. Michael, he was a Frenchman. How would he have anything to do with the Brazilian mob?

I'm sure it was a hate crime. People like to downplay anti-gay hatred but it's real and WIDESPREAD.

On a lighter note: I envy Brazilians. They have the best pride parades in the world and very hot men.

Posted by: Jack! | Jun 12, 2007 1:16:52 PM

12. Jack, I know he was French, and my first reaction was that it was a hate crime, too. But saying that this murder happened at the GAY PRIDE is misleading. It happened in a restaurant that is not related to the parade. Plus, the details of the crime are strange enough that they don't make it immediately clear what the motivation was, one way or another.

I work in gay media and believe me, I and the people I've talked to about this don't like to downplay anti-gay hatred. It just also doesn't serve much of a point to react without knowing what happened in a day that was filled with confusion.

Whatever the reason for the murder, I actually hope it is considered a hate crime so that there is more pressure put on police and lawmakers to do something about this recent wave of violence against gays! São Paulo is obviously a gay-friendly city but the police are most definitely not.

Posted by: Michael | Jun 12, 2007 2:31:47 PM

13. As a brazillian out-of-the-closet gay man and a Paulistano (from São Paulo), I agree with every word that Michael said, and personally believe this murder is what our gay NGOs needed to pass the most urgent law regarding anti-homophobia.

P.S.: Made in Brazil is written by a person who I'm not comfortable at all with being the spokesman of the brazillian glbt community.

Posted by: Marcelo | Jun 12, 2007 3:11:27 PM

14. I am a gay resident of Jardins, and I have to seriously differ with Michael in the strongest possible terms. The restaurant outside whic Gregor Landouar is one of the most high-profile gay hangouts in this city, and everyone knows it. To say that a murder, as the details have been reported in the local press, in front of a famous gay hangout, hours after and a few blocks from the biggest gay pride parade in history, has "nothing to do with" the gay pride event is ludicrous, Michael. Further, a gay eyewitness has told Diario de Sao Paulo that he agrees that the man was killed because he was gay or was standing with a group of gay men. Two of the four attackers had shaved heads, and there have been previous "skinhead" attacks on gays in the immediate vicinity (a known gay area of this city). The police are investigating it as an anti-gay hate crime, and the president of the Gay Pride Parade association, Nelson Matias, said "This was a hate crime." I think, unfortunately, it's Michael who is in serious denial about all this, and it's a sadly typical Brazilian attitude to chew out people here who speak the truth about serious problems, as if they are "denigrating" the country. No wonder nothing ever changes here. But despite this, I'm very proud that people like Nelson Matias and the author of MADE IN BRAZIL are not intimidated, and they tell the unvarnished truth as they see it. For those interested, I've got English-translated segments and analysis of the Brazilian news coverage of the murder on my own blog, Club Whirled. (Not a self-promo, just a suggestion if interested). I don't mean to be harsh with you, Michael. But I do think the record needs to be set straight (so to speak).

Posted by: Kevin | Jun 12, 2007 5:13:02 PM

15. p.s. - if u liked the triplets, trust me. Tip of the iceberg, gentlemen. This country is the most beautifully populated on Earth.

Posted by: Kevin | Jun 12, 2007 5:35:59 PM

16. nice triplets...

Posted by: FanGirlHater | Jun 12, 2007 10:09:07 PM

17. Kevin, I'm not denying that there are many indications that this murder could be a hate crime, but we do need more information about the circumstances. Anyway, the hate crime angle definitely needs to be investigated, and this murder is an outrage. HOWEVER, I think it's very unfair to the parade association to suggest that the lack of policing and the general problems that occurred at the parade are in some way related to the murder. This murder simply did not happen at the parade! Bloggers like MADE IN BRAZIL are taking advantage of this seemingly random, hateful crime to criticize the gay pride parade because their blackberry was stolen and they didn't see 100% barbies like at the Gira-Sol Party. Seriously, I'm all for raising an alarm at this horrible crime, but we should try to keep our elitist biases out of this. If this murder was a random hate crime, how, in any way, could it have been prevented? And does this justify completely negative coverage of a parade of 3.5 million people where the vast majority of people encountered absolutely no problems?

Posted by: Michael | Jun 13, 2007 11:55:06 AM

18. Michael, querida...I think you're the one trying a little too hard to make an unrelated political statement here. Why do you keep accusing people of blaming the pride organization? I don't get the connection. And I don't think elitism had anything to do with the fact that the supreme Pride parade leader himself said peoples' lives were put at risk by the fact that the CITY assigned 900 cops to control a crowd of 3.5 million people. I think many people - rich, poor, white, black, male, female, gay and straight - agree strongly that it wasn't some bizarre coincidence that four "skatistas" - two of whom were apparently skinheads - walked down Alameda Franca about an hour after the parade ended and, without warning or robbery on the mind, stabbed a man to death who happened to have just walked out of a very well-known gay establishment and was standing in a group of gay men. And we all agree, I think, that the City of Sao Paulo is FAILING TO PROTECT US! 900 cops for the Parade? No anti-hate-crime policing strategy when attack after attack, skinhead-knifing after skinhead-knifing, occurs in the same few-block area????? WTF does that have to do with your axe-grinding about barbies at Gira-Sol and Made in Brazil, dude?

Posted by: Kevin | Jun 14, 2007 9:21:05 PM