Gay Marriage | Jake Shears | Kylie Minogue | Matt Lucas | New Jersey | New York | News | Scissor Sisters

Scissor Sisters' Jake Shears and Partner to Get Hitched

Shears_2

This spring will see a civil union between Scissor Sisters' Jake Shears and his partner of eight years — Chris, an art student at Yale who has thus far remained out of the spotlight. The two recently moved in together in an apartment in Tribeca in Manhattan. The Sunday Mirror reports that they will hold their ceremony in New Jersey in the spring followed by a lavish party in Manhattan:

"Kylie, Matt Lucas and Little Britain's David Walliams and Geri Halliwell have been ordered to clear their diaries for a 'glorious' day in Springtime in New York. The ceremony itself will be in nearby New Jersey where same sex marriage is legal. I hope the guests pack their sunglasses as Jake has been talking about making it technicolour, with brightly coloured daffodils and tulips, a striped wedding suit, a flock of white doves and confetti at the beginning and end. Jake, whose band sold out three nights at Greenwich's O2 arena last week, popped the question after splashing out on a love nest in New York with Chris."

A source told the paper: "They are both blissfully happy with their apartment and the wedding is the next thing. They're ready to show everyone they're together."

Scissor Misters [sunday mirror]
(photo: Kevin Tachman/WENN)

You may have missed...
Scissor Sisters Work Mud and Tartan for European Crowds [tr]
British Presenter Has His Way with Jake Shears [tr]
Scissor Sisters Play the Austrian Alps [tr]

Comments

1. Andy, are you testing us or did New Jersey pass something beyond same-sex civil unions? What did I miss? I would have thought the word "marriage" would have come up in Technicolor everywhere if the laws had changed.

Anyway, congratulations to Jake and Chris! May they live a very long and happy life together.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Jul 30, 2007 9:41:54 AM

2. Alas, unless Jake (or Andy) knows something we don't, it's still just civil unions in New Jersey. I believe they are considering a legislative push towards marriage, but it hasn't happened yet.

Posted by: Dan E | Jul 30, 2007 9:53:14 AM

3. Good for them. I'm sure they are some type of celebrity. I just haven't heard of them but good for them non the less.

Posted by: Matt | Jul 30, 2007 9:53:37 AM

4. Congrats to Jake and Chris. My husband and I got married (civil unioned, whatever)in Jersey in March.

The sad thing is that once Jake and Chris cross back over the Hudson for their "lavish party" all the rights and privileges bestowed upon them in Jersey will vanish into the technicolor Manhattan sky.

Posted by: Jon-Marc | Jul 30, 2007 10:12:56 AM

5. Andy never mentioned the word "marriage"...he used the words 'hitched', 'ceremony', and 'civil union'. The quoted source, the Sunday Mirror out of the UK, is the only entity that mentioned the word marriage.

If Andy was testing, you failed.

Posted by: Rude Boy | Jul 30, 2007 11:50:29 AM

6. I thought you had to be resident of the state to get a civil union in NJ. Hmmm...

Anyway, who's going to sing at the reception??

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Jul 30, 2007 11:53:22 AM

7. Three cheers for Jake and his arty beau. I hope they have lots of happy years together.

The awesome apartment can't hurt.

Posted by: Brian | Jul 30, 2007 12:06:21 PM

8. My my my! Rude Boy, your name is certainly fitting.

Usually Andy makes note of such discrepancies and in this case, no such notice was made. How very sad it is to see that you have nothing more positive to say. Your assumption is telling.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Jul 30, 2007 12:11:33 PM

9. Congrats to them both - and if this means we'll never have to hear another ersatz, smarmy, overrated Scissor Sisters CD, all the more happiness!

Posted by: jeffreychrist | Jul 30, 2007 3:00:39 PM

10. Can someone explain how Chris has been a student at Yale for eight years? I recall they met when he was an undergrad; is he getting a Ph.D in art...from Yale?

Posted by: Paul | Jul 30, 2007 3:33:52 PM

11. Well Paul....if you go to the link provided that shows Jake being interviewed in Brighton, England.....you'll get another interesting odd tidbit. Jake was saying in the interview that he fell in love with his boyfriend at Glastonbury in 2004....that dear friends is only 3 years ago.

And the bit above says Jake and Chris have been together 8 years, and Chris is an Art student at Yale. Not that he has been an Art student for 8 years.....lol

Posted by: Joshua | Jul 30, 2007 7:00:36 PM

12. I certainly don't see any power imbalances in this relationship

Looks like Jake got himself a David Furnish (TM)

Posted by: Becks07 | Jul 30, 2007 8:07:10 PM

13. Uh, someone tell me again why is this newsworthy?

Posted by: shane | Jul 31, 2007 8:11:18 AM

14. JUST WHAT WE NEED..MORE MARRIED HYPOCRITES...

Posted by: alan brickman | Aug 5, 2007 12:08:25 PM