Baseball | Billy Bean | News | Sports | Television

Queer Eye Guys Growing The Beard

Scout Productions, the team of David Collins and Michael Williams who produced Bravo's Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, has set up a project with Showtime entitled The Beard.

BeanbillyThe Beard is a romantic comedy about a gay pro baseball player who enters into a relationship with a woman in order to survive in the sports world.

Jack Lechner (Mad Men) will produce the project, and they've hired a consultant who knows a thing or two about the topic — former Dodgers and Padres player Billy Bean, who came out of the closet in 1999.

Maria Maggenti (Puccini for Beginners, The Incredibly True Story of Two Girls in Love) is writing the script.

Comments

1. One question: Is this a film or series or a telefilm that will be shown in theaters?

Posted by: Marc | Jul 31, 2007 1:01:05 PM

2. Oh, yah, just what I want to watch. A story about a closeted (*shudder* bad memories) sports player (*snore*). I'll pass.

Posted by: Iko | Jul 31, 2007 1:12:10 PM

3. I think it sounds like it could have alot of potential to be really funny. Being closeted calls for alot of juggling and micromanaging.

Posted by: Toto | Jul 31, 2007 1:21:12 PM

4. Queer Eye for the Curve Ball?

Will it star Carson or Kyle? Jai?

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Jul 31, 2007 1:45:00 PM

5. Hollywood seems to think that gay men are only interesting when they are closeted and/or playing it "straight".

Frankly I'm sick of this tired story that we've seen a thousand times before.

Posted by: Zeke | Jul 31, 2007 1:55:28 PM

6. Oh, I forgot, the OTHER way a gay male story line is interesting enough to be made into a movie is when the fey, silly, weak gay man falls in love/lust with a uber-masculine, lady lovin', skirt chasin' straight man.

Evidently the gay boys love the stuff. Here! network proudly produces a show called The DL Chronicles that glorifies the "Down Low" and one of my favorite websites, KeithBoykin.com, has had an ad for a show called The Closet, which the ad claims is "Dramalicious".

It seems strange that gay people would be so interested in shows that glorify and romanticize the worst aspects of the closet; shame, fear, deceit, betrayal...

Who needs straight homophobia; we have plenty to go around in our own community.

Posted by: Zeke | Jul 31, 2007 2:11:12 PM

7. Why can't someone get their crap together and do a cable tv film adaptation of "The Dreyfus Affair"?

Posted by: dimples | Jul 31, 2007 2:48:12 PM

8. The Dreyfus Affair is just ANOTHER telling of the same old tale; Gay, closeted, married sports figure meets man...

Posted by: Zeke | Jul 31, 2007 2:54:14 PM

9. Zeke - although I agree that these stereotypes need to be ousted in favor of more interesting, honest, and up-to-date portrayals - let's not forget that drama is based on conflict. Well-adjusted gay men (or well-adjusted people for that matter) don't make the most interesting dramatic characters.

True, the closet is still a big issue for much of the gay segment of the population, but there are many more areas of gay life that can be explored dramatically. I think these closeted plot lines get pushed because they have "crossover" appeal, and can be marketed to a wider (meaning straight) audience.

Posted by: Gregg | Jul 31, 2007 2:54:23 PM

10. Gregg, I understand what you're saying but it really sounds a lot like the reasoning we heard in the 60's and 70's to explain why African-American characters were always stereotyped and one dimensional. They were portrayed as servants, criminals or slap stick side kicks. Many people argued at the time that these were the only roles that the "wider audience" would accept them in; and besides, "they should just be happy that they're making it on the screen in ANY role". I heard this reasoning often growing up in the South.

Now we see African-Americans in fully developed, critical roles that have absolutely nothing to do with negative stereotypes; in fact their roles, more often than not, have nothing to do with their race.

I long for the day when the gay community can expect movies/TV shows with gay characters who just happen to be gay rather than mincing stereotypes or basket cases struggling through their own self hate with wife/girlfriend in tow.

If I were still closeted and these ad nauseam portrayals of gay characters were all I had to go on about what it means to be gay (and for many rural young people these characters very well could be their only exposure to gay life), I would be looking around for the closest "conversion therapy" center just like hundreds of people in this country do every day.

Posted by: Zeke | Jul 31, 2007 4:23:29 PM

11. Subject: Entertainment and News; "Gays." See "Social And/Or Political Conflict." Also see "Clowns."

Blame GLAAD, "the nation's premiere lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender media advocacy organization, with a staff of 52 and an annual operating budget of $8 million."

Posted by: Leland | Jul 31, 2007 6:28:43 PM

12. I liked it better when the baseball player was a lawyer and the show was called "Will & Grace."

Posted by: Bob | Jul 31, 2007 6:42:22 PM

13. I love Billy Bean. He is soooo key-yute. Lots of have it offs with baseball players through the years. Those boys know how pitch and catch. Lots of gay ones, believe me.

Posted by: Himbo with Highlights | Jul 31, 2007 7:13:58 PM

14. I am just glad that a lesbian is going to do the script. Nobody knows what male sexuality is all about like a person who is not into men.

Posted by: mattscott | Jul 31, 2007 10:34:42 PM

15. I am just glad that a lesbian is going to do the script. Nobody knows what male sexuality is all about like a person who is not into men.

Posted by: mattscott | Jul 31, 2007 10:36:17 PM

16. Yes, this sounds like a more pathetic version of Will and Grace. Not only will the main character not have a boyfriend -- he'll have a girlfriend -- real gay, eh? I just can't see the value in this project, and the "humor" escapes me as well. True, this sort of thing goes on every day -- (sadly, all these years after Stonewall -- boy do I have stories) but I wish we'd see more movies and programs about out and proud gay people who've gotten past the internalized homophobia. I think we outnumber the closet cases, hopefully.

Gregg, I get your point but I think there IS real drama even in the lives of well-adjusted gay people -- who have to deal with homophobia along with all the other problems that plague every human being. I always thought the lives of some gay activists would make interesting stories -- maybe the lives of gay bloggers, too?

Zeke -- right on! I loved what you had to say. You made excellent points and expressed them well.

Anyway, if this is a one-shot movie it might have a positive conclusion and show how lonely and damaging the closet can be. If it's a series, however, with this guy in a bogus relationship week after week, that's a different story

Posted by: Bill Samuels | Aug 1, 2007 5:22:56 AM

17. this TV show may work, maybe not. the situation presented here is within the realm of possibility. though jaded gays like leland may find this tiresome, i think that any insight into the gay experience -- in its many permutations --is good for the hetero population and the gay community, as well. contrarian and bitchy does not equal clever or educated. hating everything (and i don't mean leland) is just annoying.

Posted by: nic | Aug 1, 2007 7:59:31 AM

18. Yet another production about a gay sportsman, wich should be normal by now. Homophobia still rules...

Posted by: Fred | Aug 1, 2007 4:16:28 PM

19. Bitch, bitch, bitch...

That's all (most of) you guys ever do.

Posted by: SC | Aug 1, 2007 5:41:37 PM