Crime | New Jersey | News

BigGayDeal.com

Two Gay Men Attacked After Leaving Hoboken, New Jersey Bar

Two gay men were ambushed and assaulted as they embraced after leaving The Cage nightclub in Hoboken, New Jersey, the Jersey Journal reports:

Cage"The attackers started punching and kicking the men, yelling anti-gay, derogatory names, said Capt. Anthony Romano of the Hoboken police. 'They hit the two gentlemen because they were gay,' Romano said. 'They punched them and kicked them while they were on the ground, kicking them to the head. They (the victims) were scared.' The two men who were attacked were treated at Hoboken University Hospital, for scrapes and bruises, said police. The man who was kicked in the head had a contusion on his head, said police."

The two attackers were arrested after being held by bouncers from a nearby nightclub who witnessed the assault, the paper reports. Police took them into custody and charged them with assault and bias intimidation.

Added Romano: "It's a tragic crime and the Hoboken Police Department will not tolerate this kind of behavior. It's an aberration in this town, luckily, but no one should be put upon for this kind of thing."

2 gay men attacked in Hoboken [the jersey journal]

Comments

1. Three cheers for those bouncers... they didn't have to do that. They should get some sort of recognition for that kind of contribution to the community.

Posted by: Brian | Jul 23, 2007 9:45:00 AM

2. What a relief that those bouncers stepped in. There are too many instances where people won't get involved - especially if someone is beating up on a fag. They really do deserve some recognition.

Posted by: MT | Jul 23, 2007 10:03:19 AM

3. This sounds like a gay bashing handled right in pretty much every respect (the only thing wrong being that it happened to begin with).

Posted by: Andrew | Jul 23, 2007 10:35:28 AM

4. Hoboken has some wild nightlife (re gangs) but is generally gay friendly.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Jul 23, 2007 12:51:00 PM

5. I live two blocks from this bar; I pass by it everyday on my way home from work...and I rarely go in there...and I'm about as out as you can be. WHY?

1) It's straight owned. (Though the manager AF will tell you he's part owner...which is a typical gimmick to underpay bar managers in Hoboken, trust me, I was one at a non-gay bar in Hoboken for a year). For the annual Hoboken St. Patrick's Day Parade they have "de-gay" the place and taken down the "Cage" sign for the last 3 years.

2) The bar is located smack dab in the middle of all the boorish straight bars; it's like putting a gay bar next to a frat house. So it is no shock that this happened, just shocking it hasn't happened sooner.

3) Why didn't the Cage have it's own bouncers outside? Maybe because the owners also own the place next door...whose bouncers responded...thankfully.

4) Why weren't the perps charged with aggravated assault? C'mon they were kicking the victims in the head!!!

And Andrew, there are no "gang" just roving packs of ill mannered white straight boys and girls...who couldn't get away with such behavior on the streets in their own home towns.

Posted by: Qjersey | Jul 23, 2007 2:43:37 PM

6. I live two blocks from this bar; I pass by it everyday on my way home from work...and I rarely go in there...and I'm about as out as you can be. WHY?

1) It's straight owned. (Though the manager AF will tell you he's part owner...which is a typical gimmick to underpay bar managers in Hoboken, trust me, I was one at a non-gay bar in Hoboken for a year). For the annual Hoboken St. Patrick's Day Parade they have "de-gayed" the place and taken down the "Cage" sign for the last 3 years.

And Andrew, there are no "gangs" just roving packs of ill mannered white straight boys and girls...who couldn't get away with such behavior on the streets in their own home towns.

Posted by: Qjersey | Jul 23, 2007 2:44:22 PM

7. I used to live in Hoboken and went to The Cage regularly. While I never felt unsafe in the area, I was always careful coming and going from the bar. As noted above, The Cage is surrounded by bars that attract a straight, loud, frat-like crowd. I always tried to be aware of my surroundings -- a good idea not only for Hoboken, but anywhere.

And I have no issue with the fact that the bar is straight owned. The Cage is the only full-time gay bar in Hoboken, and as far as I could tell, the owner was always respectful of the bar's customers. Yes, their St. Patrick's day is kind of silly (it becomes a straight, Irish bar for a few hours), but lots of straight bars "gay it up" during NYC's pride parade day! I know...I was in one of them!

Posted by: AWC | Jul 23, 2007 7:46:39 PM

8. That's Hoboken for ya! For the most part it's pretty safe for gays and this is really an isolated event. My cousin is a cop on Hoboken PD and believe me, those punks will be charged appropriately. Hoboken really doesn't put up with this kind of thing. A big thank you to the bouncers that stepped in-way to go guys!!

Posted by: JerzeeMike | Jul 23, 2007 8:42:10 PM

9. QJersey you are full of shit. Go back to Jackson and Harrison streets at 3 AM and tell me there are no gangs.

Posted by: Shane | Jul 31, 2007 8:15:13 AM

10. Whats so wrong with two guys out looking for fun? I mean A little Gay Bashing once in a while...CMon...So! Ooh Big Deal!

Posted by: J P Gilbert | Sep 7, 2009 12:54:19 PM