Darren Hayes Arrested for Alleged Racist Attack

Singer Darren Hayes was arrested Friday night for an alleged racist verbal attack on a waiter at a Thai restaurant in London last month, the Sydney Morning Herald is reporting:

Darrenhayes“Hayes fronted police in London last Friday night, where he was arrested for racially abusing a member of staff at Busaba Eathai in Wardour Street on July 22. The attack did not involve physical violence, but is believed to have been directed at a male member of staff. Hayes was released on bail. A Scotland Yard spokesman said: “We can confirm that a 35-year-old man was arrested by Westminster police on suspicion of racially abusing a member of staff. ‘He was arrested after voluntarily attending a Central London police station by appointment. He has been released on bail pending further enquiries, until the 21st of September.’ The spokesman would not comment further.”

Hayes’ new double album, This Delicate Thing We’ve Made, came out in the U.S. today.

UPDATE: Hayes lawyer released this statement on his MySpace blog today: “Darren is unable to comment to any extent as the incident is presently under investigation by the police, with whom he has cooperated fully. However he is deeply upset at the allegation which he strenuously denies and anyone who knows Darren will recognise that the particular nature of the allegation is totally abhorrent to him and contrary to everything for which he has stood”

Recently…
Darren Hayes Disses John Howard [tr]

Comments

1. peterparker says

I’m not condoning racist hate speech, and I’m certainly not excusing anyone for racist language, but since when did the British begin arresting people for saying things that were unkind…or did Hayes actually threaten the waiter?

2. the queen says

oh god honey, there aren’t enough jails to house all the people that would be arrested for having insulted me…

anyway, this reminds me of when Frank Sinatra was in a casino and he told the oriental blackjack dealer to “take a slow boat.” Caused a big stink and I think he had to apologize.

3. Giovanni says

Oh these crazy kids and their publicity stunts – what WILL they think of next?

Probably best to reserve judgement until we hear the rest of the rest of the story which no doubt will be coming soon. He seems like a fairly sensitive guy … for an Australian : )

4. Sebastian says

Would not comment further, oh well, looks like he just got caught spewing hate and intolerance. And, strange how those here who are so easily offend if called a name can look the other way when its one of their own. Name calling is never right, homophobic or racial.

5. says

I have no doubt whatsoever that these allegations will be proven false and no charges made against Darren Hayes. The man wore the aboriginal flag during the closing ceremony of the Australian Olympics for god sake!!

6. Real Justice says

Ditto Sebastian,

If some straight guy allegedly says “fag” then he should burned at the stake (and god forbid someone black say it). But some gay white gay spews hate and it becomes “let’s wait and see.” This is why many gays don’t want to get involved in the “community”. sad.

7. peterparker says

I want to make it very clear that my previous post (the first in this thread) was not an attempt to excuse Hayes’ alleged racist insults. Hate speech against any group, whether based on differences of race, religion, gender, disability, etc…are never, ever okay. I was simply expressing surprise that it is an offense that could result in being arrested by the state. I will also say that I find it disturbing that one can be arrested for speech (except, of course, for direct threats) because such a policy restricts free speech. And yes, I believe even bigots should be free to express themselves verbally without intervention from the state…employers, friends, organizations, however, should have the right to refuse association with someone because of their speech…I simply don’t believe the state should be able to stop someone from verbalizing what they think/feel. And if you disagree with me, remember that determining what is and isn’t ‘acceptable speech’ is a very slippery slope. If you try to engage in legislating what speech is ‘offensive’ and ‘not offensive’, YOU might end up on the side unable to express your thoughts/feelings.

8. Spike UK says

This has to be the most ridiculous allegation ever.

I am British and I know political correctness has gone way over the top here.

There cannot be any truth in these fabricated allegations because Darren Hayes is not a racist in any way, shape or form. As mentioned, he wore a t-shirt with an Aboriginal flag (sorry I should probably say the flag of the indigenous people of Australia) when performing at the Australian Olympics which many of his countrymen were vocally unhappy about. It is apparent to anyone who knows of him that he does not judge people by the colour of their skin. As a gay man would you not think he’d gone through enough abuse himself?

9. Tarik says

OMG I was there on Friday but I didnt notice anything…

It sounds a little weird because most of their waiters are white and gay… Its in Soho after all. Our waiter was a gay German guy…

10. The Gene Genie says

“If some straight guy allegedly says ‘fag’ then he should burned at the stake (and god forbid someone black say it). But some gay white gay [allegedly] spews hate and it becomes ‘let’s wait and see.'”

Amen to that.

“There cannot be any truth in these fabricated allegations because Darren Hayes is not a racist in any way, shape or form. As mentioned, he wore a t-shirt with an Aboriginal flag (sorry I should probably say the flag of the indigenous people of Australia) when performing at the Australian Olympics which many of his countrymen were vocally unhappy about.”

Perhaps he just dislikes people of a certain group. I know some people who single out Asians or blacks or Latinos for their hate.

Also, Isaiah Washington played a gay man in a movie when it wasn’t fashionable for a black actor to do so. Doesn’t mean he couldn’t harbor homophobic sentiment.

I just want you folks to be consistent.

11. Robert says

There was a public radio station in Atlanta (V-103) alleging that Michael Vick was ‘innocent’ but ‘forced to plead guilty’ by the Feds. Consistency? PUH-LEEZE. We NEVER see the African-American ‘community’ admit to wrongdoing of any kind. OJ Simpson, Barry Bonds, does not matter.

That’s why I like that song that says ‘Everyone is Racist.’ Perhaps it should be called ‘everyone is a hypocrite’ and biased toward people they like.

12. mmikey d says

Right, Robert. Who is the African-American “community” and whom are their leader(s) that speak for them when national figures are charged with alleged wrong-doings? Your notion that the African-American/African diaspora is a homogeneous entity is extremely problematic as well as your assertion that said group must collectively atone for the actions of a a member is outrageous.

Everyone is possibly (probably) a little bit ethnocentric but not everyone is racist.

13. loue says

Darren just spoke out against intolerance in Australia; it doesn’t seem likely he racially insulted someone; seems to be INFLATED charged, possibly homophobia.

14. dipppeeeeee says

I don’t think I have ever heard anything so ridiculous in my life. This particular restaurant doesn’t seem to have a good customer service record. Wouldn’t surprise me if he complained about the service and they took offence at that! He is one of the most tolerant people I have ever seen.

15. Adam Kennedy says

Just for the record my partner and I were nearly arrested at this very same restaurant (Busaba on Wardour Street) accused of racism too!

The bouncer shoved me unnessarily when I was in line, and my partner used the word ‘black’ when describing him in what happened to someone else. He screamed ‘racism!’ The restaurant pushed the robbery alarm and we were swamped with cops accusing us of racism. So we called the gay liason police officers and they let us go home.

I’ve told all my friends to avoid Busaba since then.

16. Joyce Brown says

I don’t think I’ve read such utter rubbish in a long while. Not only has Darren Hayes advocated gay rights but he’s always advocated human rights as well, anti racism being one of them. As someone else said, this was a man who sported the aborigine flag at the Olympic Games in Sydney.

Reading some of the comments here, whatever happened to ‘innocent until proven guilty’.

17. Alison says

I do not believe darren is racist but i do not think this should be used as an attack on being PC. If people make racist slurs then yeah they should be punished for it, no matter who they are. Saying that i find it hard to believe that darren is racist, he is very tolerent and i hope this thing is a complete misunderstanding.

18. johnosahon says

i so love how everyone is waiting for his side of the story, when it was washington’s turn NO one here was waiting.

i always say this, EVERYBODY CARES FOR ONLY THEIR OWN, that’s why the minority is always powerless.

19. peterparker says

JOHNOSAHON,

We didn’t wait for Washington’s side of the story because there were multiple witness (cast and crew of Grey’s Anatomy) who immediately came forward to corroborate Patrick Dempsey’s allegations of PHYSICAL ASSAULT and HATE SPEECH at the hands of Isaiah Washington. The only people taking Isaiah Washington’s side of the story were Isaiah Washington himself and that crazy bitch Jasmyne Cannick who wasn’t even there to witness the alleged events. That’s why we didn’t wait for Isaiah’s side of the story.

Now that Isaiah has spoken, he showed himself to be the fool we always knew he was and got his ass shitcanned in the process.

Happy to explain it all to you, JOHNOSAHON!

xo,
    peterparker

20. The Gene Genie says

“We didn’t wait for Washington’s side of the story because there were multiple witness (cast and crew of Grey’s Anatomy) who immediately came forward to corroborate Patrick Dempsey’s allegations of PHYSICAL ASSAULT and HATE SPEECH at the hands of Isaiah Washington.”

And there was enough evidence against Darren Hayes for him to be ARRESTED…

21. Caelus says

yes, darren must not be a racist simply because he is a singer, he is gay and he wore an Aboriginal flag when performing at the Australian Olympics, therefore there is no chance he is a racist. the first thing i’m gonna do tomorrow is to buy a t-shirt with an aboriginal flag on it and fuxk with those blacks and asians, i’m sure i’ll be fine because i’m not racist, hey i wore that t-shirt.

22. mmikey d says

What I find absolutely ridiculous about this thread is that people are absolutely sure that Hayes could have not said whatever he is alleged to have said. We don’t know the details of the situation by either side of the matter yet he has already been exonerated of all charges here. This is far beyond the idea of “innocent until proven guilty” folks. What really disturbs me is the overwhelming assumption that the allegation is fraudulent, despite what the Sydney Morning Herald reports which states that manager from the restaurant has said, “[the] restaurant staff reported the incident to police, who took statements on July 23.” So according to Peter Parker’s logic Hayes has to be guilty and there should be no need for further investigation into the matter since people have corroborated the allegation. Nope, that doesn’t fly. So how about postponing judgment until the details come out.

23. Robert says

Posted by: mmikey d | Aug 21, 2007 11:37:24 PM

But isn’t that what some previous commenters asked of the ‘gay’ ‘community’ (i.e. white gay males)? You missed the point entirely, but proved it. I just said that blacks in general won’t admit that any of their ‘heroes’ have done anything wrong, but then expect gay people to ‘atone’ for the ‘crimes’ (since when is free speech a crime?) of one of ‘their own’ (as if all gays were white). So there’s a double-bias assumption there. Sorry if you missed that.

24. anon says

This discussion makes me sick to be part of the community. You all now damn skippy if this was Mel Gibson there would be no, “lets wait and see”.
    Be f-ing consistent in your judgements. Most of the commentators here just proved that they about as consistent and hypocritcal and George W Bush.

25. peterparker says

You know, I didn’t read the link to the Sydney papers so I was unaware that the waiter’s coworkers had also filed statements that apparently implicated Darren Hayes. But I’m going to stand by my earlier statement that while it is odious to hurl hate speech at someone based on differences of religion/race/sexual orientation/gender, I think it is outrageous for the state to step in and arrest the person uttering hateful remarks. I fully support the right of a bigot to express themselves verbally, however offensive their speech might be. I also support the right of friends, employers, etc…to disassociate themselves from that person based on their speech. I just don’t believe the government should come in and haul someone away because they are a hateful idiot.

And since someone has once again dragged the Isaiah Washington drama to the forefront, I will point out that Isaiah Washington was accused of PHYSICALLY ASSAULTING A COWORKER! That’s the part of his story (coupled with his idiotic comments made on national television after the incident) that I thought was truly and utterly outrageous. And being physically assaulted is a hell of a long way from having someone call you names. If you don’t believe me, let someone merely call you faggot one day, then let them come to your workplace and beat you up while calling you faggot the next day and then you can tell me there’s no difference between the two.

And finally, UH HUH…regarding your comment ‘…amazing how people will rationalize when it’s one of their own.’, sweetie you have *no idea* what my race is.

xo,
    peterparker

26. Giovanni says

We still have yet to hear what exactly happened – at least I do anyway which was my point in saying it’s best to wait and hear the rest of story before reacting – which is the same approach I took and still take to the Washington mess – outrage for the sake of outrage is just silly. It goes without saying that all bigotry should be met with the same vehemence regardless of who the perpetrator or the victim is.

As for Hayes getting a pass for being cute A – he’s not THAT cute and B-Z – No one is that cute!

27. Uh Huh says

PeterParker

The last part of that comment wasn’t specifically directed to you.

In any event, you’re either white or you desperately want to be. So pick either one.

28. says

If anyone knows anything about Darren then they already know this is rubbish. It could be a simple misunderstanding or a desperate attempt to make some money and a clever ploy to market the restaurant.