First Nine Minutes: Ryan Reynolds and The Nines

Rr1

Those who might have been disappointed that The Advocate‘s recent Ryan Reynolds profile on his new movie The Nines didn’t feature any skin should be happy that Reynolds wastes no time losing his shirt in the first nine minutes of The Nines, which has been posted online.

Rr2 Rr3

The opening scene concerns a troubled actor hitting rock bottom. His attempts at escapism finds him drunk, cruising the streets of L.A. in order to buy some crack. And that’s where our story begins.

Here’s the clip:

More on The Nines and the interview of Reynolds by writer/director John August here.

Rr4

I should mention that the film’s gay pedigree not only includes writer/director August, but also American Beauty producers Bruce Cohen and Dan Jinks. The Nines opens in theaters on August 31 in limited release.

Previously
Ryan Reynolds on Homophobia, the Closet, and Gay Rumors [tr]

Comments

1. says

I am only going to see the film for Hope Davis she is an amazing actress. Just like I went to see the 300 for the Lena Headey who played the Queen.

Alright the real deal is I am a fan of Ryan Reynolds and not merely for the hunk factor but it helps. I had hoped he would have been better in “Smokin Aces”. He was horrible in “Waiting” and “Blade 3″, however it would have been hard to act in such awful films. I liked 2 Guys and a Pizza so I sort of followed his trail.

Also the film has an intersting idea; so I am going to see if I can snag some free passes from the local newspaper. I do hate to pay for movies.

2. secretagentman says

psgoodguy, to clarify, your post should read ” Ryan Reynolds takes off shirt, gays go gaga, film at 11″. Because yeah, I do. What’s your point?

3. Jordan says

This looks like a great movie. I can’t wait to see it.

It totally reminded me of some of my drugged out crazy days and adventures….ah, the fun times!

And Ryan Reynolds, what can I say? He’s the number 2 hot guy on my list of Hollywood actors that drives me wild, so I will be also be buying this on dvd probably.

4. ggreen says

Rule number one in show biz is don’t let the character actors steal the show. Every time Ryan’s in a scene with another actor he can’t keep the focus on himself the prostitute and the agents assistant steal both scenes from him. Are they that good or is he that bad?

5. says

A man who looks like Reynolds could never hit rock-bottom in Hollywood. There would always be work somewhere for a flawlessly handsome hunk, regardless of talent level. Sure, Reynolds has been luckier than most, but even if he hadn’t been lucky, he’d never hit “rock-bottom” as long as he was still physical perfection. Unless it’s referring to him having emotional/personal-life difficulties which perhaps it is.

6. Jordan says

Well who said anything about acting? I doubt he has to worry about practicing any Oscar speeches….I was just talking about how yummy he looks.

And that actress who plays the prostitute…LOVE HER! She is always hilarious in everything she does.

It might be a train-wreck of a movie, but might be cute nonetheless. Does every damn movie have to be Oscar-worthy to garner praise? I’m gonna see it to remind me of my crazy drug-fueled insane life (of not too long ago)…that wasn’t too unenjoyable, actually. Reality is greatly overrated sometimes, anyway.

7. James says

JJABELY:

John August wrote Go, Charlie’s Angels, Big Fish and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. He also gives away a ton of free information and tips about screenwriting on his blog that’s more helpful than what you would find in most books on the subject.

8. riley says

yclept & VR…

i can’t recall ‘Leaving Las Vegas’ but my first reference was from Augusten Burrought’s second memoir ‘DRY’…
    how the character bought crack and got a hooker to teach him how to use….. MASSIVE parallels there…

9. says

The overlapping storyline of the Nines resolves itself nicely at the end… and, although Reynolds is a versatile actor, it was Melissa McCarthy who did a particularly great job of adding color to the whole thing.