Crime | Glenn Murphy | News | Republican Party

GOP "Rising Star" Glenn Murphy Steps Down Over Gay Sex Assault

The Young Republican National Federation acted quickly to scrub any mention of their recently elected leader Glenn Murphy from their websites, according to DailyKos, after several Indiana websites broke the news that Murphy, a "rising star" in the Indiana GOP and the leader of the Clark County Republicans, had stepped down after police charged him with "Criminal Deviate Conduct", a class B felony, for sexually assaulting another man following a Young Republicans party.

GlennmurphyAdvance Indiana notes: "Murphy, who also serves as chairman of the Clark Co. Republicans, has been viewed as a rising star in the Indiana and national GOP. His consulting firm has advised congressional candidates like that of former U.S. Rep. Mike Sodrel (R). He is fond of using divisive wedge issues, such as gay marriage, to promote his candidates."

From the police report:

"In a shocking police report filed by the Clark Co. Sheriff's office, Murphy is accused of sexually assaulting another man on Saturday, July 28, 2007, while he lay sleeping in his bed. The alleged assault of the 22-year-old man took place in the Jeffersonville, Indiana home of his sister following a Young Republican party in which both Murphy and the 22-year-old man had been in attendance. The victim's sister had urged both men to spend the night at her home because of the amount of alcohol the two had consumed during the party. The victim awoke in the morning to find Murphy performing oral sex on him according to the report. When the victim asked Murphy what he was doing, he responded: "He was holding his dick with one hand and sucking my dick with his mouth." The victim then pushed Murphy away, gathered his personal belongings and left. Murphy was later confronted with the charges by the victim's sister according to the report. The sister says Murphy admitted to her that he performed the sex act on her brother."

Murphy sent out a letter informing the YRs that he had received a job offer and would no longer be able to perform his duties as their president.

Murphy's lawyer posted this note in the comments section in the original thread from blog 'taking down words' defending his client. In the letter he notes that Murphy has not been charged with a crime nor arrested, and notes that Murphy contends that the actions were between two consenting adults.

DailyKos writes: "If the allegations are true, then this is a leader in the GOP (at least for Indiana, if not nationally) who committed a crime. If he is deemed innocent -- which would depend upon the police or courts finding the act was between two consenting adults -- then the hypocrisy of the situation speaks for itself."

Indiana's Own: Recently Elected Nat'l Young Republican Chair Goes Down? [taking down words]
Questions Surround Rising Indiana GOP Star [advance indiana]
GOP Sex Scandal: Young Republican Prez [daily kos]
The Hits Keep Coming: Young Republicans Head Resigns In Gay Sex Scandal [joe.my.god]

You may have missed...
A Visit to the College Republican National Convention [tr]
Rep. Bob Allen Cites Fear of Black Men, Weather in Oral Sex Arrest [tr]

Comments

1. ...Oh. My. God. Wow...!

Posted by: yeahisaidit | Aug 8, 2007 9:13:22 AM

2. There seems to be no end to the hypocrisy. I know Dems are plenty hypocritical, but when it comes to issues that play to the lowest common denominator of bigotry (gays, immigrants, unwed mothers), no one does it quite as well or quite as often as the Republicans.

There will be many more, to be sure. Most Americans are growing sick and freaking tired of the pseudo-religious babble from our conservative elected leaders. I hope this results in a return to what the Republican party used to stand for. I might have disagreed, but I could still respect them.

Posted by: Brian | Aug 8, 2007 9:33:13 AM

3. I'm sure he was just sucking cock out of his fear of the black men in the park.

Posted by: Rodoflo | Aug 8, 2007 9:41:03 AM

4. Brian,

I agree with you completely. But I worry whether the public at large, the voting public, really knows about this stuff. I still think if they hear about it at all, many voters roll their eyes and still vote for the hypocrites anyway.

What still gets me, is how you can seriously be so self-loathing that you can espouse policies that try to discriminate or even criminalize behaviors that you yourself practice. I may have been in denial of being gay when I was younger, but I never called anyone derogatory names. And I certainly wouldn't have held up a sign saying "Die fags," or whatever that other Republican hypocrite wunderkind did.

Posted by: Larry | Aug 8, 2007 9:49:05 AM

5. OK... first, the shadenfraude: How delicious is it to see someone in a leadership position in a Republican organization be exposed as a hypocrite and a criminal?

Now... the real issue: Murphy is a very sad man who must suffer greatly because of the conflict between his sexual orientation and his political party. He seems to be a deeply repressed homosexual, and I doubt very much that the 1998 incident and the 2007 incident are the only examples of Murphy performing non-consensual oral sex on another man. The 1998 and 2007 guys were just the ones who were willing to file a police report; just think how many others there might be who didn't.

Too bad for Murphy that he could never find the courage to come out of the closet. He could be performing all the fellatio he wanted, on consensual partners nonetheless, if he just had the balls to admit that he's gay. Too bad that he chose to align himself with a political party who is fundamentally opposed to rights for homosexuals.

Now, he's made his bed and he can deal with the consequences. Sad.

Posted by: Jonathon | Aug 8, 2007 9:55:45 AM

6. Well, Murphy might not have had sexual relations w that twink, in a Clintonian fashion. However, if this isn't a variation on Rohypnol date rape, what is?

Posted by: zabadak | Aug 8, 2007 9:57:43 AM

7. At some point we're gonna find out this is all a right wing plot to make the gays look bad. I just know it. *adjusts tin hat*

Posted by: Mike | Aug 8, 2007 10:29:54 AM

8. Zabadak,

This isn't "a variation on Rohypnol date rape." The vast majority of date rapes involve alcohol.

You won't read it in the papers or see it on the 6 o'clock news, but alcohol is THE date rape drug. Any of those other substances the media periodically freaks out over and declares to be "the date rape drug" (rohypnol, GHB, ketamine) accounts for a miniscule percentage of date rape incidents.

But, of course, alcohol is a legal drug used by 171 million American adults, so it's just not as sensational as the rare incident involving a "club drug." Date rapes involving alcohol are a daily occurrence, so there's no news there.

Posted by: 24play | Aug 8, 2007 10:32:52 AM

9. Andy--great story, and I love this site. But when you post pictures of the subjects of stories could you PLEASE indicate who's who? I usually assume that the person in question is famous enough that I should know what they look like---but I doubt that applies in this case. Is Mr. Murphy the one uh, holding the mic, or the other guy?

Posted by: Acolyte | Aug 8, 2007 10:37:34 AM

10. Zabadak,

Posted by: 24play | Aug 8, 2007 10:39:57 AM

11. Mea Culpa: Ok, just realized that this was a dumb question/comment in this particular instance: The guy with the mic is obviously a reporter. Still applies to other postings, I think...

Posted by: Acolyte | Aug 8, 2007 10:40:59 AM

12. Mike, we know that you much prefer the typical "this is a plot by homa-sek-shuls pushing their radical homa-sek-shul agenda to make the family values, moral majority, compassionate conservatives look bad" comment that you find at your favorite fair and balanced Freeper site.

Yes Mike we get it...blame the faggots first.

Might I suggest Exodus International or a Love Won Out convention. It's kinda like a Young Republicans convention except, well, actually it's EXACTLY like a young Republicans convention.

Posted by: Zeke | Aug 8, 2007 10:47:54 AM

13. he responded: "He was holding his dick with one hand and sucking my dick with his mouth."

OMG - I canNOT stop laughing about this!

Posted by: Gregg | Aug 8, 2007 10:58:30 AM

14. Dumb brother! He could have at least waited until he came before he complained. We luv the fact that this story involves classic "bed sharing" which, of course, throughout history, has been the vehicle for probably more mo sex than the baths. Walt Whitman made a second career, and countless young men, out of that common 19th century practice. Amatory letters that could be explained by then accepted "romantic friendship" aside, Lincoln's repeated bed sharing with at least two men, particularly after it no longer became necessary in practical terms, is why some historians still insists he was gay/bi.

But back to this Republican hypocrite—another one down, millions more to go!

Posted by: Leland | Aug 8, 2007 11:09:05 AM

15. Zeke, adjust your meds and re-read what I wrote. 1) it was a joke 2) I didn't blame the gays at all. I said it was a right wing plot to make us look bad. There have been too many gay Republican scandals as of late 3) Relax, Mary.

Posted by: Mike | Aug 8, 2007 11:19:23 AM

16. ps - gents, I love when I read these stories and I know Republicans like Cyd read this site. It give me an all over warm feeling.

Posted by: Mike | Aug 8, 2007 11:20:47 AM

17. Ha! Tell me I'm not psychic! Last year I told some friends that the Republicans would be caught doing what we all do and my prediction came true! It's been one sex scandal after another. What's with the Republicans and blow jobs anyway? Some kind of Clinton karma?

Posted by: the queen | Aug 8, 2007 11:22:19 AM

18. "He could have at least waited until he came before he complained. "

Leland...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Ain't that the truth...

Posted by: Brian | Aug 8, 2007 11:38:30 AM

19. Boy, the hypocrisy of the "family values" crowd never ends. What next, animal sacrifice and cannibalism?

Posted by: Frank L | Aug 8, 2007 11:51:59 AM

20. The story's fun but the guy's a pipsqueak--hardly a Mark Foley or Ted Haggard. Now, the real question is, did he "plan" to get himself and the other guy drunk so the assault could take place? He needed some bravery and a helpless victim apparently.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Aug 8, 2007 12:05:24 PM

21. Mr. Murphy regrets he can no longer be the "head" Repug in his county, because he found another job. He's going to be Ted Haggard's down low blow buddy. Although, he may not be too good at polishing the knob, since the 22-year old pushed him away. And that must have been an awkward moment in the parlor when sis asked Mr. Murphy if he really had sucked her bro's dick. Yet another Republican practicing the good judgment that has placed our country in its present miserable position in the world.

Posted by: Bill | Aug 8, 2007 12:12:06 PM

22. he responded: "He was holding his dick with one hand and sucking my dick with his mouth."

I will make the assumption that this is the victims response because the way it is written is seems as if its Murphys' response.Making it seem like the victim was the offender.Just a thought I may be wrong.

Posted by: Greg2 | Aug 8, 2007 1:19:58 PM

23. Mike,

In Zeke's defense I also thought you were blaming gays for what had happened. Your first post was a little opaque.

xo,
    peterparker

Posted by: peterparker | Aug 8, 2007 1:32:16 PM

24. The Indianapolis Star doesn't believe this is a news item. I guess since it
    involves a sex scandal with a republican it is best not to let the public know about it. Please go to the Indianapolis Star's site, click on "contact us" and let them know this is america that still has freedom of the press - thanks

Posted by: Greg S. | Aug 8, 2007 2:45:13 PM

25. Victim Schmicktim! This is the "Reichen's Free Blow Job Equals Violent Rape School of Nonthought." Puhleeze! Neither are "stories torn from the headlines" you'll ever see on "Law & Order; SVU." And whatever one can say of Mark Foley he was no Ted Haggard. Jessica H. Christ, the willful stupidity of some people!

And your dismissing of the importance of a Republican activist in a small Red State like Indiana being publicly humiliated over the very issue that his party has exploited with such success shows how ignorant you are. And within miles of where a rabid homohating Hoosier mother is legally keeping her incapacitated son away from continuing to live with his male partner of 15 years, has stolen the house they shared, and two-thirds of their joint bank account. With apologies to the poet, "Every Republican's political death enriches me."

Posted by: Leland | Aug 8, 2007 2:53:18 PM