Gay Media | Magazines | News

The Goings-On at Genre Magazine

The folks at New York magazine have published some rumblings about what's going on over at Genre magazine following the installation of new (married with kids) editor Neal Boulton, as well as his alleged romantic link to Rolling Stone founder Jann Wenner:

Genre"...sources tell us the pair has been stepping out together again. (Which Wenner's spokesman of course denied to us again yesterday.) While Boulton is still married, a pal says he and his wife live separately and have a friendly 'arrangement' that’s been going on some time. 'I’m out; I’m gay,' said Boulton, who recently took over Genre magazine, the fleshy gay monthly. 'We're friends,' he added, not quite denying things. Meantime, the other editors at Genre have fled since Boulton was installed, and he's revamping its look. The October issue will feature a black-and-white cover shot with a red title and black cover lines, much like his old Men's Fitness — though, fortunately, not too much like Wenner's Men's Journal."

And, as a matter of disclosure, this blogger was once an editor of Genre.

Jann Wenner and Neal Boulton: Still Going On? [ny mag intelligencer]

You may ahve missed...
Reggie Bush Sexes Up Men's Fitness [tr]

Comments

1. Gay, straight, bi or neutered; Jann Wenner is one big asshole!

Posted by: out of the closet sternbow | Aug 9, 2007 2:06:08 PM

2. I never would have read that. . . but this blog is fantastic. I hope it's paying off big time!

Posted by: Vig | Aug 9, 2007 2:33:10 PM

3. They should rename the mag, GENERIC.

It has become a boring glossy filled with pretty pictures, fluff writing and editorial spreads on fashion, travel, and other merchandise that I can't afford.

I have subscribed for a long time, but its no longer a must read...I usually catch up on back issues one lazy day at home every few months.

In the age of blogs and the Internet, it's really boring to see articles/news/etc that you read about online the MONTH before.

Screw the "magazine" experience. I doubt a recently out man has an editorial voice that any of us (read: MOST of us) who came out in our teens and 20s' can relate to.

Posted by: Qjersey | Aug 9, 2007 2:53:59 PM

4. Uh oh. When frequent Queerty commenters say your magazine is shit, it's time to hang it up.

Posted by: 24play | Aug 9, 2007 2:59:10 PM

5. It must be depressing. I really think the gay-culture magazine is moribund, so trying to "revamp" it in its decline must be a pretty grim task.

Posted by: thin mint | Aug 9, 2007 3:00:21 PM

6. for the record, you were the best editor Genre has seen.

Posted by: Dan B | Aug 9, 2007 3:16:59 PM

7. Andy, I know that you were involved with mag sometime ago. It has 9-12 months to survive. Good for you leaving. Say goodbye to another gay mag. Just bad editing.

Posted by: Andrew | Aug 9, 2007 3:23:14 PM

8. Jann Wenner has the same arrangement right? A wife and a boyfriend? Didn't they jointly throw him a birthday party a few years back?

Posted by: aardvark | Aug 9, 2007 4:23:18 PM

9. Genre and Magazines like it aren't meant for city-type gays...it's more for gays in far off places and rural areas and acts to keep them kind of in the loop or at least, in touch with something gay. Remember, these are people for who "gay" is not part of every day life or even remotely close to it. Sure the net is making print more irrelevant, but naysaying Genre and mags like it as inferior, really misses the point, and reeks of underlying snobbery from the "sophiticated" urban gays. And yes, Andy Towle, was the best editor the mag ever did see.

Posted by: Matt | Aug 9, 2007 4:23:36 PM

10. I somehow have a free subscription to Genre. Man is it ever awful.

The articles are vapid and poorly written. Writing of this quality needs to be accompanied by nudey pics.

It's only redeeming quality is the cover model on this issue was ungodly hot.

Posted by: JLS | Aug 9, 2007 4:30:38 PM

11. Here's another person extolling the virtues of Andy's healm at Genre. Thanks again for all of the work you did for North Carolina GLFF. :)

Posted by: nilla4me | Aug 9, 2007 4:54:23 PM

12. The magazine experience will never go away. Who wants to cuddle up with a computer screen on a rainy day? I agree with Matt about the articles having been poorly written and vapid - fortunately, now Genre has a real editor and editorial team to give their rag a face-lift! I look forward to seeing the transformation.

Posted by: GraceT | Aug 9, 2007 6:07:48 PM

13. The magazine experience will never go away. Who wants to cuddle up with a computer screen on a rainy day? I agree with Matt about the articles having been poorly written and vapid - fortunately, now Genre has a real editor and editorial team to give their rag a face-lift! I look forward to seeing the transformation.

Posted by: GraceT | Aug 9, 2007 6:11:34 PM

14. I have been a subscriber to Genre for many years, but I will not be renewing my subscription when it expires. I decided there was no reason to keep getting it. Flipping past the ads, the Genre man pages, the off-topic content, and the fashion spreads, this month you are left primarily with a one page story on Mandy Moore, another on Minnie Driver, and a strange, celebrity nickname quiz. What's the point of this magazine?

Posted by: Skye | Aug 9, 2007 7:19:54 PM

15. The best thing to happen with that mag was the 2006 GENRE Man of the Year competition. JOE FITRZYK was spectactular--
    a real man from Detroit, with a brain and a body. Since then it's been all plastic pretty boys and fluff. But thank god we've got you Andy to keep us jaded city slickers grounded and well rounded.

Posted by: Steve | Aug 10, 2007 12:43:34 AM

16. well, Genre certainly can't get any worse. Can it?

Posted by: Martin | Aug 10, 2007 8:34:34 AM

17. It could be worse. It could be Instinct.

Posted by: Paul | Aug 10, 2007 8:32:46 PM