Florida | Football (American) | Kiss | News | Tim Tebow | Tony Joiner

BigGayDeal.com

Tony Joiner's Touchdown Kiss for Tim Tebow Causes Stir

Tebow_joiner_kiss

A kiss between University of Florida safety Tony Joiner and QB Tim Tebow on Saturday after Tebow made a second quarter touchdown pass to Cornelius Ingram has startled the college football world. It's not so often you see such a public display of affection between male athletes, particularly American jocks.

Here's the clip:

The Tampa Tribune reports:

Joiner_2"Tebow and Joiner have had fun with their kiss, though it promises to follow them for eternity now that two clips of it have hit YouTube. A four-second video shows only Joiner smacking Tebow on the left cheek as the CBS broadcast transitions into a commercial break. A 92-second video provides more context, including play-by-play man Verne Lundquist's description of what may have been the first same-sex, interracial kiss ever broadcast on the venerable network's airwaves. 'The African-American senior and Tim Tebow, the white sophomore,' Lundquist said, 'they have become very fast friends.' Told Monday morning that anyone with Internet access could see just how fast, Tebow could only laugh. 'Great,' Tebow said. 'Somebody will probably show me that when I go to class here in a little bit.'"

Joiner, who lives with Tebow, told news media after the game: "That's my roommate. I love him. We've grown close. That's not the first time I've kissed him." When asked if he's kissed other men, Joiner replied, "Not many. Probably just my dad and Tim Tebow."

And there are certainly plenty of people who wouldn't mind planting one on Tebow.

Timtebow

Although who that tongue is reserved for is anyone's guess.

Tebow_tongue

The Independent Florida Alligator notes: "The truth of the matter is we could all learn something from Tebow and Joiner’s kiss...The bond that these players share and the fact that they’re more emotionally linked as brothers, not mere coworkers, is something to strive for in everyday life."

Notebook: Joiner's kiss gets national exposure [gainesville sun]
Kissing Is Not Foreign To Athletes [tampa tribune]
Smooch has Gainesville ga-ga [florida times-union]

You may have missed...
Go Gaytors [tr]

Comments

1. That was a kiss?

I don't think so. It looked more like he was talking in Tebow's ear.

Even if it was a kiss, so what? It's over the top coverage like this that causes men to be so paranoid and fearful of showing any kind of affection or intimacy toward each other.

Oh, and Tebow is way hot.

Posted by: Zeke | Sep 18, 2007 9:30:11 AM

2. Mouth breather?

Posted by: scientitian | Sep 18, 2007 9:36:49 AM

3. The fact this is news is sad. It says so much about the rampant homophobia in this country, especially in sports. I know there are men out there who do not kiss their sons for this very reason. Straight men are really screwed up.

Posted by: Bill | Sep 18, 2007 9:38:37 AM

4. I saw it live and nearly fell off my barstool. It was sweet and I don't think the anouncers made a big deal out of it. I think Tebow is a hottie, for a christian.

Posted by: davefromtampa | Sep 18, 2007 9:41:15 AM

5. anddddddddddddddddddd why can't they be lovers?

I would love to have some reporter ask me on the street what I think of the whole deal.

I would say just that "Why can't they be lovers?" and then walk away as if no big deal.

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Sep 18, 2007 9:58:16 AM

6. Its almost unbelievable that people would get worked up about these two guys kissing. Its sweet and shows what close friends they are. There is nothing wrong with it. There is something wrong with the fact that so many people think that there is something wrong with it.

Posted by: Bloggernista | Sep 18, 2007 10:09:18 AM

7. A sweet peck on the cheek should not raise any eyebrows, but the announcers seemed to hint there was more to the story, or were trying to explain it away lest anyone get the wrong idea. The announcers may wish to clarify why they went on-and-on about the fast friends and roomies. It is very reminiscent of the friendship on Scrubs though!

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Sep 18, 2007 10:24:59 AM

8. I'm sure there'll soon be a "Defense of Affection Act" to counter such behaviour.

Posted by: Mike | Sep 18, 2007 10:25:51 AM

9. I watched the game and saw the kiss. If you were watching and listening to the sportscaster he told the story about how the coach purposley made them room together. Joiner had been throw off the team in the past and the coach thought that roomming with Tebow would give a better perspective of being a part of a team. Joiner has mentioned that rooming with Tebow has changed his life on and off the football field. These guys are friends and teammates in every since of the word.

They are both very comfortable showing their affection to one another. You don't have to praise or demonize their actions. If you've played sports and was a part of a team you would know that all atheletes aren't homophobic assholes as you would like to portray.

Posted by: mikeinbama | Sep 18, 2007 10:29:32 AM

10. ...yet they're allowed to smack each other's asses 16 times per game without any eyebrows raised...

Posted by: Kapow | Sep 18, 2007 10:43:12 AM

11. Andy,

Why didn't you post a face picture of Tony Joiner? You've switched the focus of the story from Joiner and Tebow to just Tebow (and his sexual attractiveness).

Is Tony Joiner sexy? Who knows? You didn't think that Joiner deserved the same treatment. What's the difference between the two men? One is African-American and the other is white? You're usually very good about racial sensitivity. So, I'm disappointed.

In many gay periodicals, publishers largely ignore people of color as models. There's an occasional brown person but the majority time their models are all white. For instance, has there ever been a non-white or visibly mixed-race cover model on DNA magazine? This extends to fashion houses, too. Can anyone remember Dolce & Gabana having one?

White male beauty is held up as perfection. Whereas the beauty of the diverse looks of people of color is largely ignored or turned into a fetish: Asians as girlish bottoms or black men as thugs or sex machines.

Dude,

You couldn't find a single face pic of Joiner? Come on. A Google or Yahoo! image search reveals plenty.

Posted by: Gunnar | Sep 18, 2007 10:43:12 AM

12. That was supposed to be a kiss? Get back to me when they start dry humping each other.

Posted by: Parishater | Sep 18, 2007 10:46:04 AM

13. i didn't think the sportscasters made such a big deal out of the kiss... althought the "glass of milk" at bedtime line was pretty funny. all in all this seemed to be pretty tasteful commentary, considering.

Posted by: voodoolock | Sep 18, 2007 10:51:33 AM

14. This stroy seems to cross all the lines in this country that people don't like, sexuality, and then they have to inject race. Big whoop, they bussed each other, its actaully a non-story, since most young men don't have the hangups on giving a bud a hug, etc like men over 30.

And, Gunnar, thoughtful insights, which, sadly seem to be true.

Posted by: Sebastain | Sep 18, 2007 11:02:15 AM

15. There you go Gunnar. Replaced the pic. The choice of shots was not meant to intentionally exclude Joiner, who I believed to be in the bottom photo as that was how it was ID'ed to me.

Posted by: andy | Sep 18, 2007 11:17:05 AM

16. Good call Gunnar. I was wondering why there was no pic of Joiner.

For the record, Joiner is way hot too.

Posted by: Zeke | Sep 18, 2007 11:21:07 AM

17. That kiss was the mildest thing I have ever seen. I assumed for the fuss that was being made that it would at least have to be on the lips. It is pretty sad if this counts as shocking in America.

Posted by: Lucy | Sep 18, 2007 11:37:00 AM

18. This whole story shows how screwed up straight guys are with showing their emotions toward one another, and with their homophobia. Straight guys have so many hang-ups...they really need a good shrink. And from I've heard, football is just filled with gay inuendo.

Who cares if they kissed? (if you could even call it a kiss?) Or even if they are straight (granted it'd be much more interesting if they WERE gay and lovers, but until they come out that's just wishful thinking). Until they get so excited they tackle each other and start humping each other or get caught banging each other in the showers, I'll wait.

Since I don't follow sports and know that much about football, I don't know who they are, but the QB IS a cutie (as is typical), but I'd be much more interested in the hot black guys.

Posted by: Jordan | Sep 18, 2007 12:26:06 PM

19. Thanks Gunnar - well said though it is a drag that it still needs to be said at all especially when you consider how hot JOINER is as well.

Posted by: Giovanni | Sep 18, 2007 12:26:36 PM

20. anyone who thinks that was a kiss needs to go see the eye doctor. it's pretty obvious that joiner simply whispered something in tebow's ear. stop projecting your fantasies on to others. what's more offensive is the male commentator's need to identify the two players by referencing their skin color as african-american and white. maybe this is necessary to those watching the game who are functionally illiterate. but for the rest of us who can read, we can ID the players by merely reading their jerseys. duh.

Posted by: amanda | Sep 18, 2007 12:45:10 PM

21. Who the F**K cares?!?!?!?

Posted by: Michael | Sep 18, 2007 12:49:57 PM

22. How odd that in the USA men can perfectly kill each other but not kiss each other...

I saw on television Prince William kiss his grandfather Prince Philip on the cheek. Even GWB embraces men. General De Gaulle kissed men on the cheek to show great admiration.

C'mon Merkins, get real !

Posted by: Alain | Sep 18, 2007 12:59:05 PM

23. My God is Florida THAT backwards that their announcers must make the shocking revelation that Joiner is "African-American" and Tebow is
    "white", like it's something unheard of in sports history?! Damn, if so then that is one brain dead state. And before any Floridians get on my case, I have family that lives there too.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Sep 18, 2007 1:55:57 PM

24. My God is Florida THAT backwards that their announcers must make the shocking revelation that Joiner is "African-American" and Tebow is

Posted by: soulbrotha | Sep 18, 2007 1:56:53 PM

25. Remember Soulbrotha, the sad state of affairs going on in places like Louisiana and what happened in West Virginia. There aren't so much as many brain dead states as there are brain damaged people in the country. That was hardly a love tap by Joiner, but you know, announcers are pretty lame by most accounts. That's a good portion of my reason for not bothering to watch football because I can't stand to hear those morons chatter through the whole game.

And just my two cents, Joiner and Tebow are both fine motherf**kers, but this didn't amount to diddly. Rugby players hold each other's junk, for chrissakes.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Sep 18, 2007 2:27:44 PM