Iraq | News | Sally Field | Television

BigGayDeal.com

Sally Field Censor: They Didn't Like Her, They Really Didn't Like Her

Sally field came to the Emmys with a prepared acceptance speech which she awkwardly forgot halfway through. That didn't matter much, however, as Emmy producers decided to censor her comments anyway.

Field_2Said Field: "Surely this [award] belongs to all the mothers of the world. May they be seen, may their work be valued and raised. Especially to the mothers who stand with an open heart and wait. Wait for their children to come home from danger, from harm’s way, and from war. I am proud to be one of those women. If mothers ruled the world, there would be no — (censored).

What Field said was, "If mothers ruled the world, there would be no God-damned wars in the first place."

Field said later, after learning she had been bleeped: "Oh, well. I've been there before! Good. I don't care. I have no comment other than, 'Oh, well.' I said what I wanted to say. I wanted to pay homage to the mothers of the world. And I very, very seriously think that if mothers ruled the world we wouldn't be sending our children off to be slaughtered." She added: "I would have liked to have said more four-letter words up there!"

It's not clear whether FOX was upset over the blasphemy or the anti-war remarks, but given their announcement that they would censor of Kathy Griffin's "Jesus" comment last week as well as the network's political bias, it seems likely they were irked by both.

Tom O'Neil of the L.A. Times notes: "Technically, Field's censored words are not profane. A 2004 FCC ruling specifically stated no objection to the use of "god damn" on TV when making a judgment on the uproar over Bono swearing at the Golden Globes in 2003 where he used more colorful language."

Comments

1. That's weird--we heard that line up here in Toronto, and we should have been carrying the American feed straight from the network. Maybe it was only cut out in some parts of the country?

Posted by: David D. | Sep 17, 2007 10:05:04 AM

2. That must have been the west coast airing - in NY, she got as far as "... there would be no g- " and the shot immediately changed to the overhead view blocking Sally entirely, then right into the Memorial tribute.

By the way, I thought she looked amazing. Go Gidget!

Posted by: Roy | Sep 17, 2007 10:18:20 AM

3. oh I've heard worse language on some school playgrounds. But maybe the great Sally meant that god DAMNS wars.

Posted by: the queen | Sep 17, 2007 10:23:37 AM

4. David D., yes, Canada gets its feed TRULY live, while down here in the so-called "land of the free" (ha ha) we must watch it with a tape delay of several seconds so censors can protect our frail selves from naughty words and incorrect political comments.

Posted by: phil | Sep 17, 2007 10:32:37 AM

5. i was appalled and shocked when i saw this- it was blatant censorship of a person's anti-war remarks-
    i'm so angry i could scream

Posted by: daniel | Sep 17, 2007 10:49:14 AM

6. Go Sally! I love her, and not just cause watching her is like looking at my mom (she could be her twin, but I can't see my mom using such colorful language).

What are those censors thinking? They're probably republicans & don't want anything about the war said, or just tight-assed & don't want to "offend" those in Middle America with such views or language.

They should get over themselves. This was the Emmy's, for God's sake.....not the Oscars. And it was on FOX, not even a real network.

That shows you how second-tier these awards are....most will probably be used to prop open a door or be displayed on the back of a toilet or something. bitch please.

Posted by: Jordan | Sep 17, 2007 10:51:54 AM

7. "Freedom is irrelevant. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile." I channel surfed back and forth between this and other shows but saw the weird effect at least three times. The first two times it happened I thought they'd had a partial blackout in the theatre and the camera was behind some huge black mirrored ball as I couldn't figure out what might have been censored. But the effect again during Sally's speech was obvious if technically hamhanded censorship. Then the huge black ball reminded me of a circular variation of the Borg cube. "We are Fox TV of the Bush Reich. Freedom is irrelevant. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."

Then there was that sickening "Jersey Boys" number in which some sick fuck had the brilliant idea of showing images of "Sopranos" beatings and murders while they sang, "I love you, Baby." The scenes of women being brutalized/killed made it a great night for misogyny.

The series' spokesman would have been more accurate if he had added "and TV" to "maybe the country is being run by gangsters."

Posted by: Leland Frances | Sep 17, 2007 10:55:11 AM

8. Although I fully support Sally’s anti-war intentions I think her claims about a no-war utopia if women ruled the world is a fallacy and yet another of the myths that we've heard so many times we assume it must be true.

Catherine the Great, Queen Elizabeth I, Queen Victoria and Margaret Thatcher, all of whom ruled over wars of AGGRESSION, are historical examples of female rulers who were every bit as warlike as their male counterparts.

More recently, how many women (and mothers) voted FOR the war in Iraq? Karen Hughes, and especially Condi Rice, were architects of this war. What if Michelle Malkin and Ann Coulter were a part of this women-only government? At least one of them is a woman.

Here's the ugly truth about women and war. Women in the White House/Palace/10 Downing won't prevent or end war as long as it's men, almost exclusively, who are being sent into COMBAT to fight them.

Contrary to popular belief, female leaders don't necessarily raise the threshold of offense that must be past in order to justify war. If people want to see that threshold moved up exponentially try sending large numbers of women into combat or drafting women into combat. THEN you will see a whole new way of looking at "acceptable losses" and "unavoidable war". You will see people using diplomacy like never before.

Does anyone believe we would have gone into Iraq if the American people thought that half of the bodies coming home in flag draped coffins would be women? Does anyone believe that we would still be there if 3700+ women (instead of 3700+ men) had been killed in this war?

It's a shame that we don't value men's lives as highly as we do women's. That would end war much more quickly than the fantasy women-only government.

Posted by: Zeke | Sep 17, 2007 10:55:49 AM

9. Well done "Ma Walker"!

Can someone explain to the Bushies that fighting for freedom ALSO includes fighting for people who dissent from stated government policy. [Goes off to bang head against wall until Jan 09!!!]

Posted by: SeanR | Sep 17, 2007 11:09:46 AM

10. Zeke

Don't forget Elizabeth the first. She massacered thousands upon thousands upon thousands of catholic britts that would not convert to the new state religion of anglicanism. Then set up a propaganda campaign to label her catholic (and rightful heir to the throne) cousin mary Queen of Scots as "Bloody Mary"

Anyway; I do praise AMERICA's REAL SWEETHEART Sally Field for speaking up and out against war.

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Sep 17, 2007 11:12:33 AM

11. "It's a shame that we don't value men's lives as highly as we do women's."

You can't seriously believe this line. Please tell me you didnt write that with a straight (no pun intended) face.

Considering that many of the Iraqi civilians killed have been women and rape of women is used frequently as an instrument of war (including by American soldiers), along with non-war related injustices (rape, domestic violence, unequal compensation, and on and on), I'm going to go out on a limb and say that women are way less valued in society than men. And I'm a guy and there is no question in my mind about that. And women soldiers have lost their lives in this war.

And you listed 4 women-compare that to all the wars of aggression that men have started.

Posted by: Charles | Sep 17, 2007 11:15:43 AM

12. An interesting article at salon.com in regards to the Kathy Griffin that definitely relates to this:

The author sums things up quite nicely:
    "Censoring offensive Mohammed cartoons = Existential Threat to our Civilization.

Censoring offensive anti-Christian commentary = Glorious Victory in the Culture War."

Posted by: scientitian | Sep 17, 2007 11:16:07 AM

13. I guess everyone has forgotten Nipplegate. THAT is the reason for the censorship. It has nothing to do with politics. If it did, would we have even SEEN Al Gore win an award? No. Would we have had all the other anti-Bush propaganda? No. Would we have seen Bill Maher's writers toe-tapping in the loo? No. The reason for all the censorship is that the networks don't want to pay the huge penalties for swearing and nipples being shown on television. Why can't anything be what it is without a rush to judge that it's the evil government up to no good. Sheesh! People really need to take their blinders OFF! That said, it was a really boring show and the censorship was stupid. It just wasn't political.

Posted by: Kamasutra Jones | Sep 17, 2007 11:38:36 AM

14. Jimmyboyo

Not to be a stickler, but "bloody mary" was Queen Mary I of England, not Mary Queen of Scots. She was Elizabeth's half sister and ruled immediately prior to Elizabeth. And I think the "bloody mary" moniker was well earned by her persecution of protestants during her reign.

Another example of a woman ruler with a taste for violence.

Posted by: darb | Sep 17, 2007 11:58:34 AM

15. Who the hell is Sally Fields to know this? This is nothing more than a rant on her part. While I am against the war in Iraq continuing, I certainly don't buy her premise one iota. Stick with acting Sally.
    You do well in that craft.

Posted by: Stephen | Sep 17, 2007 12:09:23 PM

16. How silly that people are taking her words literally. She's just saying that if all the ordinary mothers of the world had more clout they could stop the war that is killing their children. That's her biased opinion, but still worth voicing in crazy times like these when swaggering men in charge are perpetuating endless meaningless violence.

Posted by: kc | Sep 17, 2007 12:53:11 PM

17. Jimmyboyo, Queen Elizabeth the first was the second person I listed (as Queen Elizabeth I). I didn't forget her.

Charles, nice way to warp and contrive my statement to mean something completely other than what was intended. Nothing you said negates what I said. It's absurd for you to act as if it is the POLICY of our government, military or society to kill or rape women. I'm talking about the laws and policies of the military and warfare not war crimes. Stop trying to conflate the two.

Posted by: Zeke | Sep 17, 2007 1:14:14 PM

18. I often noticed G-d getting bleeped on TV. However, they also killed the rest of the sentence, so it was partly a political decision. I'm guessing they instructed winners to make no political statements as a matter of policy and then simply acted on the policy. Very corporate of them.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Sep 17, 2007 1:21:45 PM

19. Darb thanks for the calrification.

Zeke, LOL I saw Catherine the Great and then Queen VicroriA. My eyes totaly skipped over Elizabeth. I might need glasses. yikes.

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Sep 17, 2007 1:27:26 PM

20. I believe KC has it right.

I think Sally is a great person and a wonderful human.

Posted by: EMO | Sep 17, 2007 2:26:57 PM

21. I am also from Toronto and heard the entire acceptance speech ... in fact, as I write this CBC Newsworld just rebroadcast the acceptance speech - uncensored.

Apparently Ray Romano was also censored ... but we got to hear the whole thing.

Early in the broadcast, Fox was forced to drop picture and sound during a stand-up monologue from Romano. Referring to the upcoming Fox series "Back to You" featuring "Frasier" star Kelsey Grammer and his own former co-star on "Everybody Loves Raymond," Patricia Heaton, Romano said, "Frasier is screwing my wife." Fox opted to eliminate the verb from the aforementioned sentence. (http://www.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idUSN1628844020070917)

Posted by: Joseph | Sep 17, 2007 3:02:42 PM

22. Love Sally in Brothers & Sisters. We saw the uncensored version here in AUstralia.

Posted by: Alfred | Sep 17, 2007 6:50:56 PM

23. Christian Taliban Rules the World ... again.

Posted by: Lou | Sep 17, 2007 10:52:23 PM